BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > Protool - A mobile ESYS and The best BMW coding and diagnostics app available

05-05-2023, 11:11 PM   #45
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Bmw M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris719 View Post
Just to help clarify for flybigjet, I don't think you will want to code any of that on an M2C IMO.

1. The anti-dazzle may or may not be safe to enable due to hardware differences between EU and NA hardware (many threads on it).

2. 98% sure the M2C already comes coded to F87CS for diff and DSC.

3. Steering is already set to F87CS, though it's possible you could try the F82 settings but seems like it's probably worse.

Definitely makes sense if you have an OG M2.
Personally I'd rather have a coding tool regardless, just to have the capabilities to make changes (Windows up down with the key fob, disclaimer deleted etc). Then if I needed a coding tool there isn't much better than protool.

In terms of power steering etc, some may like f82 gts settings better, I personally ran f82 gts eps for a super long time and it was great if you liked a heavier wheel. Now I'm running f87cs and I like it even more.
chris7197334.00
      05-09-2023, 09:10 AM   #46
medphysdave
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 CS | 85 of 592

Are you able to code the lighting colors with this on the G series cars with this? It sounds like yes? I'm tempted to give it a try, but I have the dongle version of esysx. Works fine, but development has slowed with the cloud version and this seems like there is more active support.

I haven't read all the posts, but how is the cheat sheet support? Are you able to store past code values to code easily after a software update? How does protocol deal with staying on top of PZdata updates so everything remains codable?

Seems like BMW is sending out more frequent updates to G series cars, which is a pain for coding.

Are you able to change country codes and all that jazz for activation of features available outside US?

Anti dazzle works pretty darn good on my CS. It's a little too active on the highway in heavy traffic. Mainly when trying to spotlot roadsigns and there is a car a little in front and to the right. It doesn't blind them, but I'm sure they can see your lights flashing bright and dim. I worry that someone might think your constantly flashing them even though they aren't in front of you.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2023, 09:53 AM   #47
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by medphysdave View Post
Are you able to code the lighting colors with this on the G series cars with this? It sounds like yes? I'm tempted to give it a try, but I have the dongle version of esysx. Works fine, but development has slowed with the cloud version and this seems like there is more active support.

I haven't read all the posts, but how is the cheat sheet support? Are you able to store past code values to code easily after a software update? How does protocol deal with staying on top of PZdata updates so everything remains codable?

Seems like BMW is sending out more frequent updates to G series cars, which is a pain for coding.

Are you able to change country codes and all that jazz for activation of features available outside US?

Anti dazzle works pretty darn good on my CS. It's a little too active on the highway in heavy traffic. Mainly when trying to spotlot roadsigns and there is a car a little in front and to the right. It doesn't blind them, but I'm sure they can see your lights flashing bright and dim. I worry that someone might think your constantly flashing them even though they aren't in front of you.
Hey!

Unfortunately I am not too familiar with the G series nor am I familiar with the ambient light settings or vehicle regions (because the m2 doesnt have these features or I havent done them before). I would suggest you either email the protool team or message them on facebook (they are really responsive on Facebook), and they should be able to answer your questions to a much better ability than me.

But what I can tell you is that they are very diligent in terms of updating the CAFD mappings to support new software updates so you don't need to worry about that.
      06-14-2023, 01:45 AM   #48
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by F87source View Post
I just wanted to let you guys know I just recieved my BM3 wifi adapter in today and tested it with protool, and it works perfectly! So if you were looking to buy a wifi adapter I would highly recommend the BM3 wifi version over the currently available models (review coming soon which will explain exactly why).
BM3 wifi adapter review: https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...7#post30218827
      06-16-2023, 06:47 AM   #49
3t3p
Major
New Zealand
Rep
Drives: M2

I have thor on my phone still. So will it physically not work
?
I've not tried for a while or maybe since they got taken down.
I assumed the raw app itself would work.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2023, 02:20 PM   #50
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3t3p View Post
I have thor on my phone still. So will it physically not work
?
I've not tried for a while or maybe since they got taken down.
I assumed the raw app itself would work.
Are you talking about the Thor flasher app itself? I think it should still work, but don't uninstall it.

I'm also pretty sure Thor never did anything special, I'm pretty sure all it did was code the same things we're doing with esys or protool. In regards to the dct "flashing" I'm pretty sure there was nothing special with that either, there might have been a few extra things that were coded in addition to how we code egs to make it different as was reported by the Thor users.

But if you wanted you could use protool to scan the car for any coding changes done by the Thor flasher and we will know exactly what it did. This will also ensure that if Thor stops working for you, you can recode it with another tool.
      06-19-2023, 12:54 PM   #51
krau58
Rep
Drives: M2C

Thanks for the thorough write up, I truly appreciate it. Did some coding on my m2c today but it wouldn’t let me do any transmission coding? I thought you can put the gts dct tune on the mic’s dct?
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2023, 08:30 PM   #52
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by krau58 View Post
Thanks for the thorough write up, I truly appreciate it. Did some coding on my m2c today but it wouldn’t let me do any transmission coding? I thought you can put the gts dct tune on the mic’s dct?
No problem, glad my review helped.

I'm not sure what to say about the egs coding because I myself don't have a dct, you should probably ask that question on the m3/m4 and m2c forums and see what they say about egs coding. You could also ask p
the protool team.
      01-13-2024, 06:20 PM   #53
donkey
Captain
Rep
Drives: 6MT M2

Quote:
I just wanted to let you guys know I just recieved my BM3 wifi adapter in today and tested it with protool, and it works perfectly! So if you were looking to buy a wifi adapter I would highly recommend the BM3 wifi version over the currently available models (review coming soon which will explain exactly why).
Did you have to do anything weird to get it to work?

I got a cheap samsung tablet, BM3 wifi adapter (v3), and the Protool master license, but I get an error in Protool that it can't identify the car.

I am able to connect with BM3 on my iPhone so I don't think the wifi adapter is bad. Will try connecting to BM3 on the Android tomorrow to rule that side of things out.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2024, 06:39 PM   #54
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by donkey View Post

I got a cheap samsung tablet, BM3 wifi adapter (v3), and the Protool master license, but I get an error in Protool that it can't identify the car.

I am able to connect with BM3 on my iPhone so I don't think the wifi adapter is bad. Will try connecting to BM3 on the Android tomorrow to rule that side of things out.
No it just worked right away.

Did you update the adapter? Also did you update protocol and select enet as the protocol?
      01-13-2024, 06:44 PM   #55
donkey
Captain
Rep

Quote:
No it just worked right away.

Did you update the adapter? Also did you update protocol and select enet as the protocol?
Nope didn't think to update the adapter... Will try that as well, thanks.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2024, 09:07 PM   #56
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Nope didn't think to update the adapter... Will try that as well, thanks.
Yup no worries
donkey464.00
      01-14-2024, 01:25 PM   #57
GenXG87
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2023 M2 & 2018 M2

Garage List
2023 BMW M2  [8.50]
2018 BMW M2  [9.75]
Quote:

Did you select ENET_WIFI? I used it today for the first time with my BM3 module. I was selecting WIFI and it didn't work. Then i noticed the ENET_WIFI option when I opened the more menu in the upper right.
Appreciate 1
donkey464.00
      01-14-2024, 08:30 PM   #58
donkey
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenXG87 View Post
Did you select ENET_WIFI? I used it today for the first time with my BM3 module. I was selecting WIFI and it didn't work. Then i noticed the ENET_WIFI option when I opened the more menu in the upper right.
I didn't realize there was a difference, I'll try that. Thanks!

Edit: that did the trick. Protool is awesome.

Last edited by donkey; 01-31-2024 at 08:13 PM..
Appreciate 1
GenXG87179.00
      02-25-2024, 08:36 AM   #59
Mikkachu
Rep
Drives: M2 OG

Does anybody know if this adapter is compatible with protool?

https://www.vgatemall.com/products-detail/i-15/
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2024, 04:48 PM   #60
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikkachu View Post
Does anybody know if this adapter is compatible with protool?

https://www.vgatemall.com/products-detail/i-15/
According to this: https://www.bimmergeeks.net/_files/u...9b4a861a2c.pdf

No it won't, the only bluetooth adapter protool currently supports is the bimmergeeks one. The reason being is, protool requires a stable and fast connection to operate properly. Most cheap bluetooth elm257 adapters don't cut it, so they just eliminate them. While they probably could get away with allowing these adapters to be used, they don't because they do cause alot of connection issues.

For example I used to use bimmer code and a vgate I car pro bluetooth adapter, and I would constantly get "error cannot code" messages or super slow read write speeds, and that was annoying. Protool doesn't allow any of that to minimize risk of anything going wrong.

Personally I don't recommend cheaping out on the obd2 adapter for such an expensive car, buy a high quality adapter (like the bm3 adapter) once and you'll never have to do it again. You will also be able to reuse it for tuning - which is something you can't do with a cheapo elm 257 adapter.
      04-05-2024, 06:13 AM   #61
Inviam
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

F87source

Do you know the process for coding out the brake intervention/overboost when hard driving? IE, coming off the throttle onto the brake quickly and the abs brake force feeling inconsistent? I've seen it mentioned, but never anything more then "such and such knows that to do".

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2024, 07:32 AM   #62
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inviam View Post
F87source

Do you know the process for coding out the brake intervention/overboost when hard driving? IE, coming off the throttle onto the brake quickly and the abs brake force feeling inconsistent? I've seen it mentioned, but never anything more then "such and such knows that to do".

Thanks
Just the very basics.

https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1781115

https://www.trackdayforum.com/index....#comment-26122

There's likely much more to it than that. You'll have to contact daap1193 if you want more than the publicly available settings.
      04-08-2024, 08:18 AM   #63
rayj102
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i xdrive

Transfer case

Hi, new here. How do I calibrate the transfer case actuator? What section on ProTool is it listed?
Also, which section can I see the live data for the wheel speed sensors?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2024, 05:24 PM   #64
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayj102 View Post
Hi, new here. How do I calibrate the transfer case actuator? What section on ProTool is it listed?
Also, which section can I see the live data for the wheel speed sensors?

Thanks
I have no idea how to calibrate the transfer case because I don't own a xdrive BMW. You'll have to email the protool team for that.

Refer to the user manual on how to use live data:

https://www.bimmergeeks.net/_files/u...9b4a861a2c.pdf
      04-16-2024, 04:20 PM   #65
varooshgog
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M2

I think it is important to note that ProTool CANNOT modify/code certain drivetrain functions like the DCT (i.e. you can’t use it to change DCT software to the GTS or CS variant).

I know some folks want the do it all tool, but may not be worth it if you have a DCT equipped car.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2024, 05:10 PM   #66
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by varooshgog View Post
I think it is important to note that ProTool CANNOT modify/code certain drivetrain functions like the DCT (i.e. you can’t use it to change DCT software to the GTS or CS variant).

I know some folks want the do it all tool, but may not be worth it if you have a DCT equipped car.
That's because the dct isn't codeable, so obviously protool cant code it. I talked to protool and they confirmed this as well = Dcts can only be flashed. So you'll need xhp, or get esys to flash it.

But generally speaking if you can code (code not flash) it on esys you can do it on protool - especially on the older cars (such as the f series) that have been fully mapped out.

Last edited by F87source; 04-16-2024 at 06:55 PM..
Appreciate 0