BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Discussions > This is not a for sale thread...

03-02-2020, 12:42 PM   #45
mr_lab_rat
Major
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2, 2018 X1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dav3 View Post
I have no clue how you arrived at that conclusion as I never suggested those things you wrote down
Nah, I'm just trying to be funny. I understand what you are saying. The stock M2C is going to be quiter than M2 with MPE.
Appreciate 1
Dav3948.50
      03-02-2020, 12:43 PM   #46
amancuso
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 330it, 428ix, 430i

Do what you want dude. #nohate
      03-02-2020, 01:06 PM   #47
xxyion
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2024 M4 Competition xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by silstream View Post
Was just throwing out some different options for the OP but clearly hit a nerve. My comparison was a few years ago (long before GTI the got the diff as standard) and for me the Golf was smoother & refined, perhaps felt slower as a result where the Focus felt more raw, engaging and even the torque steer gave it character. Plus at the time the price difference (in terms of what you could actually buy the car for was over $10k). I think both are great cars and the Golf has continued to improve since then where the ST has obviously ceased production for the US market (Europe getting a new version now).
Haha yeah a bit. That car, while i did enjoy it for a little bit, gave me massive problems during my first year. With 9000 miles the car had transmission issues, brake line issues, and electronic issues. The shifter was mushy compared to what i was used to. My friend bought a 2018 GTI a few months later for less than i bought the Focus ST for and the car was so much more engaging and offered so much more (creature comforts & driving experience). I was a bit "mad bro" lol.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2020, 02:47 PM   #48
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvMyE92 View Post
... but I'm seriously considering selling the M2.

I'm being honest here. We're all here because we love the car. It's great. I've had Porsches and Corvettes and 4 M5s and an M3 in there somewhere, and each had their charms and warts. The M2 has few warts.

But I'm getting older (aren't we all?) and honestly, the day I got the thing I realized that I may have made a mistake. It's awfully loud, the ride is stiff and that exhaust is just miserable at certain speeds. I could tear out that enormously expensive MPE and put in an aftermarket system that may or may not have the same resonance, but it would likely be louder still. And I'd still have the annoying road noise and stiff ride.

But I do enjoy the way it handles and brakes and all the other things that make the M2 so much better than an M3/M4.

And I spent way too much buying it, so I will take a huge loss selling it.

But life is short, and I like cars, and I've actually kept this one (18 months) longer than many of its predecessors. I am a flipper.

In the back of my mind though, I can't think what I'd replace it with. No more Porsche for me, no more Corvettes, and I don't like where BMW has gone with the other M cars.

I was actually kinda thinking maybe a VW GTI. I don't like FWD and it is nowhere near the M2 in performance. But they are rather inexpensive, very practical for hauling stuff from Home Depot and are fun to drive. My track days are behind me. The Miata popped in my brain too, but it's just too low and small for me.

One reason I'm not going back to Porsche or Corvette is because it's just getting too difficult for me getting in and out of those low cars. And all the big burly trucks around here scare me when I'm in a little car. I know the GTI is kind of little, but it's tall and visible and being German, is probably safer than those alternatives.

I'd still have my 540i as my DD, and it's a great car but it's no M and I do like to row my gears occasionally. The GTI (or whatever replaces the M2) would just be an occasional "toy" car. The amount of traffic, congestion and stupid clueless distracted drivers around here (RTP area of NC) just sucks all of the pleasure out of driving, most days.

Thoughts, comments, opinions?
I'd keep the m2 an swap the exhaust for stock or something without drone.. mps4s tires have less road noise than stock, 18 wheels probably ride better, I bet ohlins dialed into your liking as well.

I'd get the golf R if I was going that route or an Audi RS3.

How about a used AMG Wagon. They're rare and should hold value. Has car dynamics but you can haul plenty of stuff in them and v8.

E90 M3s are probably at the bottom of their depreciation besides the economy going into the dumpster lately. That's got EDC and it's smaller than the f80. To be honest used f80 prices are about the same so there's that.

Fucking go nuts and get an x3m. The competition rides stiffer.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2020, 06:50 PM   #49
Conezz
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G20

Why not the M4? Much better looking car and bigger too.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2020, 07:36 AM   #50
LuvMyE92
Occasionally frequent poster
Rep
Drives: CT5V-Blackwing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conezz View Post
Why not the M4? Much better looking car and bigger too.
Don't care for it.

Actually, I've been thinking about this for a while now, and I think I'm going to replace the M2 with an M6. I can get a nice, low mileage used one for about 1/2 of MSRP. I'm gonna miss the third pedal though.

Trying to decide now on how and when to sell the M2. With the virus, the stock market and since most of the country still has winter weather, I'm going to wait until April, probably.

Thanks all for the great suggestions, ideas and comments.
Past: E24,E28(3),E34,E36,E37,E38(2),E39(4),E46,E89,E92 (obviously),F01,F06,F10,F30,F87,G12,G30(2),G82(2)
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2020, 08:36 AM   #51
Conissah
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3

Quote:
Trying to decide now on how and when to sell the M2. With the virus, the stock market and since most of the country still has winter weather, I'm going to wait until April, probably.
It is tax season though, should be pretty easy to sell if priced appropriately. GLWS, and I hope you enjoy the new car, whatever it may be.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2020, 09:21 AM   #52
Nezil
Major
Rep
Drives: LCI '18 6MT M2

Quote:
Thanks for sharing your thoughts! Having had many similar thoughts myself, you’ve inspired me to try some of the mods you did (sound isolation), and some that you didn’t (M2C strut brace retrofit).

I’m not 100% sure about the strut brace retrofit, but it is the only difference between the OG and C from a suspension perspective, and I’ve heard time and again that the M2C rides better. It also looks like a fun project.

Current Performance Mods:
CSF FMIC, ER CP, Fabspeed Cat, Aquamist WMI, GFB DV+, NGK 97506, BM3 (Stage 2 93 OTS), CDV delete, UCP, M2C/M3/M4 Strut Brace, M3/M4 Reinforcement Rings
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2020, 09:26 AM   #53
doug_999
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M/2021 992/2023 X3

Quote:
Don't care for it.

Actually, I've been thinking about this for a while now, and I think I'm going to replace the M2 with an M6. I can get a nice, low mileage used one for about 1/2 of MSRP. I'm gonna miss the third pedal though.

Just make sure you get an extended warranty!
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2020, 06:16 PM   #54
krizze
Lieutenant
Czech_Republic
Rep
Drives: 718 GT4 -Skoda Octavia VRS

Quote:
... but I'm seriously considering selling the M2.

I'm being honest here. We're all here because we love the car. It's great. I've had Porsches and Corvettes and 4 M5s and an M3 in there somewhere, and each had their charms and warts. The M2 has few warts.

But I'm getting older (aren't we all?) and honestly, the day I got the thing I realized that I may have made a mistake. It's awfully loud, the ride is stiff and that exhaust is just miserable at certain speeds. I could tear out that enormously expensive MPE and put in an aftermarket system that may or may not have the same resonance, but it would likely be louder still. And I'd still have the annoying road noise and stiff ride.

But I do enjoy the way it handles and brakes and all the other things that make the M2 so much better than an M3/M4.

And I spent way too much buying it, so I will take a huge loss selling it.

But life is short, and I like cars, and I've actually kept this one (18 months) longer than many of its predecessors. I am a flipper.

In the back of my mind though, I can't think what I'd replace it with. No more Porsche for me, no more Corvettes, and I don't like where BMW has gone with the other M cars.

I was actually kinda thinking maybe a VW GTI. I don't like FWD and it is nowhere near the M2 in performance. But they are rather inexpensive, very practical for hauling stuff from Home Depot and are fun to drive. My track days are behind me. The Miata popped in my brain too, but it's just too low and small for me.

One reason I'm not going back to Porsche or Corvette is because it's just getting too difficult for me getting in and out of those low cars. And all the big burly trucks around here scare me when I'm in a little car. I know the GTI is kind of little, but it's tall and visible and being German, is probably safer than those alternatives.

I'd still have my 540i as my DD, and it's a great car but it's no M and I do like to row my gears occasionally. The GTI (or whatever replaces the M2) would just be an occasional "toy" car. The amount of traffic, congestion and stupid clueless distracted drivers around here (RTP area of NC) just sucks all of the pleasure out of driving, most days.

Thoughts, comments, opinions?
I will literally never sell the M2, ever. In my eyes there isn't another car for the money that is anywhere near as fun or good looking as the M2. Call me what you what, biased or narrow minded but I thought about selling the car for over a year until I realised it's just impossible for me to do so
Attached Images

Appreciate 3
      03-09-2020, 07:50 AM   #55
LuvMyE92
Occasionally frequent poster
Rep
Drives: CT5V-Blackwing

For those following along at home...

I test drove a slightly used M6 this weekend. Well, they're all used at this point, but this one had only 7K miles, a 2017 I believe. I've driven the M6 before.

Apparently, I'm getting a lot older than I thought I was. The M6 has a great exhaust note, but it's maybe even a bit louder (road noise) than the M2. The ride is a different kind of stiff, more nervous, jittery. The DCT is awesome on the racetrack (where I've driven many BMWs at BMW performance center events) and when hooning. But in traffic, driving normally, it kind of sucks. The V8 is fabulous, the car looks like the business, but I just didn't care for it.

So the M2 may be safe for a while longer. No point in getting rid of it if I have no replacement in mind.
Past: E24,E28(3),E34,E36,E37,E38(2),E39(4),E46,E89,E92 (obviously),F01,F06,F10,F30,F87,G12,G30(2),G82(2)
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2020, 08:20 AM   #56
Al Bundy's Dodge
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 6MT

Just trying to be positive here, but perhaps your inability to have a replacement in mind means that the M2 is actually the perfect car for you...maybe refocusing on all the things you like about the M2, rather than those things that you don't like, will allow you to rediscover your enjoyment when driving the car?

Good luck to you!
Appreciate 2
LuvMyE923000.00
krizze928.00
      03-09-2020, 09:42 AM   #57
PLF69
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3

I've had the same questionning over and over about a M2 replacement and have always come back to it. With all the choices we have on the market I think this speaks for itself.

Even If I eye out other cars often I think this one will stay for a while, its price/performance/usability ratio is just so hard to beat..

I've been down the road of massive modding on my past 135i (550whp etc etc.) And took the lose wich I will not repeat in the future. Everything I will do on the M2 will be well calculated modifications to enhance my experience and that are easily reversable anyways.
Daily/Family: 2021 Atlas Cross Sport 3.6
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2020, 05:43 PM   #58
3t3p
Major
New Zealand
Rep
Drives: M2

Brace retrofit really feels like the chassis and suspension is actually all working together now. I was focused on cornering going into it but I noticed that first.

And sure yeh it is better in corners too
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2020, 06:06 PM   #59
Nezil
Major
Rep

I was considering a big turbo or PS2 mod this year, and may still do that, but this thread has inspired me to take a look at comfort and sound first. I guess I realise that part of the reason to modify the engine is to make me enjoy the performance enough that I ignore the fact that it's uncomfortable and noisy.

I'm therefore going to be doing the M2C / M3 / M4 strut brace retrofit, as well as some sound deadening. For budget reasons I'm starting with the Aluminum section of the brace without the CFRP part, and the interior sound deadening - front door seals and side panels. I'm also considering the MSS springs, which are supposed to further improve the ride, but haven't decided on that yet....

I guess what I'm saying is... thanks to the OP for starting this thread!

CSF FMIC, ER CP, Fabspeed Cat, Aquamist WMI, GFB DV+, NGK 97506, BM3 (Stage 2 93 OTS), CDV delete, UCP, M2C/M3/M4 Strut Brace, M3/M4 Reinforcement Rings

Last edited by Nezil; 03-28-2020 at 10:58 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2020, 04:57 PM   #60
xxyion
Captain
Rep

Quote:
For those following along at home...

I test drove a slightly used M6 this weekend. Well, they're all used at this point, but this one had only 7K miles, a 2017 I believe. I've driven the M6 before.

Apparently, I'm getting a lot older than I thought I was. The M6 has a great exhaust note, but it's maybe even a bit louder (road noise) than the M2. The ride is a different kind of stiff, more nervous, jittery. The DCT is awesome on the racetrack (where I've driven many BMWs at BMW performance center events) and when hooning. But in traffic, driving normally, it kind of sucks. The V8 is fabulous, the car looks like the business, but I just didn't care for it.

So the M2 may be safe for a while longer. No point in getting rid of it if I have no replacement in mind.
I feel like its less age, and just more the car didnt speak to you.

As an example, my favorite car of all time is my S2000. Its cramped, slower than my M2C, has no space, no practicality, the steering wheel cant be adjusted, theres no Apple Carplay, and the ride is very rough.

But...i love it. I cant get away from it. i sold my first S2000 and instantly regretted it. On contrast, i test drove a Veloster N (before i decided on the M2C). Its quicker, has a turbo, has pops and burbles, Apple Carplay, heated seats, it has room, i can fit more than just me in it...and...it was boring. It just didnt do anything for me.

The M2C for me was the best alternative to the S2000. Its the only car that when i drove, made me feel almost the same thing i feel in the S. Just more luxury and refined and less raw.

At the end of the day though, if i HAD to keep one car? Its the S2000, hands down.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2020, 05:03 PM   #61
Nezil
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxyion View Post
I feel like its less age, and just more the car didnt speak to you.

As an example, my favorite car of all time is my S2000. Its cramped, slower than my M2C, has no space, no practicality, the steering wheel cant be adjusted, theres no Apple Carplay, and the ride is very rough.

But...i love it. I cant get away from it. i sold my first S2000 and instantly regretted it. On contrast, i test drove a Veloster N (before i decided on the M2C). Its quicker, has a turbo, has pops and burbles, Apple Carplay, heated seats, it has room, i can fit more than just me in it...and...it was boring. It just didnt do anything for me.

The M2C for me was the best alternative to the S2000. Its the only car that when i drove, made me feel almost the same thing i feel in the S. Just more luxury and refined and less raw.

At the end of the day though, if i HAD to keep one car? Its the S2000, hands down.
Interesting that you quote the S2000. I had one of these for many years. Bought it in 2005 when I lived in England, took in with me when I moved to Korea in 2008, then shipped it back to England in 2012 and put it in storage for a few years before selling it to my dad a couple of years back. I love that car too!

The reason I say it's interesting though, is that I felt that he M2 felt very very much like an S2000. Not in terms of the body style, but in terms of how raw, noisy and rough riding it is. I've heard that the M2C is much more refined than the OG M2 for some reason; not wanting to get into a discussion of M2C vs OG M2, but I'd be interested to hear what your thoughts were on the OG if you've driven one.

Appreciate 0
      03-11-2020, 05:40 PM   #62
xxyion
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nezil View Post
Interesting that you quote the S2000. I had one of these for many years. Bought it in 2005 when I lived in England, took in with me when I moved to Korea in 2008, then shipped it back to England in 2012 and put it in storage for a few years before selling it to my dad a couple of years back. I love that car too!

The reason I say it's interesting though, is that I felt that he M2 felt very very much like an S2000. Not in terms of the body style, but in terms of how raw, noisy and rough riding it is. I've heard that the M2C is much more refined than the OG M2 for some reason; not wanting to get into a discussion of M2C vs OG M2, but I'd be interested to hear what your thoughts were on the OG if you've driven one.
I did drive one and i was planning on getting it, but then they came out with the Competition and i was like...welp why not get the newer one. So i saved up for one more year and then took the plunge.

I agree that the M2 feels almost as raw and engaging as the S2000. however i would argue its actually closer the the BRZ/86 in terms of feel. The S2000 for me is just on a different level entirely.

As for M2 vs M2C, I found the M2 to be a bit more dramatic than the M2C. Turbo for me seems to hit a bit harder and a bit sooner than the M2C, however the M2C seems to pull harder once it hits and for a lot longer. I prefer the M2C seats, but prefer the M2 Exhaust (who doesnt). I do ultimately plan on tracking this car and so knowing that the competition model is the more track ready model, it was an easy choice for me.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2020, 10:04 PM   #63
farcus
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F87 AW DCT

You're not the only one, I'm looking to trade in my m2 for a g20 330 With m sport package if I can find a good deal.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2020, 10:57 PM   #64
Nezil
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by farcus View Post
You're not the only one, I'm looking to trade in my m2 for a g20 330 With m sport package if I can find a good deal.
I got given a lightly optioned G20 330i when my car was serviced last November. I thought it was great, especially the drivetrain.

Appreciate 1
farcus23.50
      03-28-2020, 11:05 PM   #65
Nezil
Major
Rep

I just realised that I forgot to give an update on some of the things I've done to my OG M2 over the last few weeks to improve the daily drive ability of it.

I've now fitted the M2C / M3 / M4 Aluminium strut brace, as well as some of the sound deadening (rear side panels, foam between inner and outer fender in front of the doors), and both have been significant improvements. The strut brace is the more expensive job, but it does make the biggest difference by dramatically improving ride comfort and steering feel. The sound deadening is a pretty big improvement, but it doesn't transform the car into a luxury cruiser. It does make it much more pleasant at speed, and you can actually hear wind noise now!

Appreciate 0
      03-31-2020, 08:02 AM   #66
skillz1318
6MT User
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 6MT

I leased a 2016 Golf R 6MT that was probably my favorite all around car. It was so practical yet still fun and quick. The hatch for the dog + AWD for winters were great features for my daily driver (and only car). When the lease was up there weren't many other cars I was considering as I like a "smaller" vehicle though the M6GC in San Marino blue is amazing. I ended up test driving an M2 which quickly reminded me of my old E46 M3 from a size/proportion perspective and also really loved the drive/feel/sound and improved manual transmission (vs notchy e46).

My 2017 M2 has ~16k miles and the warranty is up 3/21 so I will probably sell it with less than 25k miles and look for something else. Right now it's either a M2C, 981 Cayman, or 997.2/991.1 911 if I can afford it. If I was looking at cars with 2 pedals I'd probably look at/drive an RS3, C63 AMG, RC-F. A new MK8 Golf R is also not out of the question though specs haven't really been released yet.
Appreciate 0