BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Discussions > If you could swap your N/S55 with any OEM BMW engine...

01-25-2020, 05:23 AM   #45
MrOhnoez
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 GLI, '79 beetle, '99 M3

S65 honestly lol
I love that sound and feel of that engine.
It'd probably feel like a dog compared to the S55 but man oh man.
Cool factor would definitely be up there.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2020, 10:45 AM   #46
GTIGUY1992
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin_NL View Post
You do not have a clue do you?

The replies I'm getting now is just why I keep on repeating it when necessary.

Enjoy your M2/C. Great cars both of them.

Cheers
Robin
Just because you keep repeating it doesn't make it any more true, or the information any more useful.

Your anecdotes just aren't met with complete agreement- don't take it so personally, in fact I've had the exact opposite experience. My N55 has shown no issues with moderate/heavy track use over a dozen or so events last year, be it Gingerman, Mid Ohio, Road Atlanta, etc. It's been reliable at all of them. Hell I even did Gingerman on stock pads and fluid and only had fade after 4-5 runs.

I must be clueless though so I'll defer to you since you sound like you have much more track experience; what codes did you throw on your track days? Are you on a stock tune? How many runs did you have prior to the codes? Did you go into limp mode or was it just a passive warning?
      01-25-2020, 04:31 PM   #47
Io
Private First Class
Belgium
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 LCI DCT LBB

B58, maybe, even if my N55 coupled to a Wagner Evo II intercooler make me pretty happy. S55 and S58 are not for me, their 3-bangers’ sound being far from my cup of tea.
Appreciate 1
5.M0NSTER3353.50
      01-26-2020, 03:17 AM   #48
Advevo
Banned
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition, E30 M3 DTM

Lots of you only care about power. I think bmw goes the wrong route always making cars bigger and heavier and put more power in to compensate. They get more boring to drive when a new heavier one comes out.

I had more fun in my 1M Coupe then both my m2 and m2c. Yes the m2 is faster but i had so much more fun in driving the old skool 1m coupe! Also my non M 130i hatch with lsd is more fun to drive then my 1635kg m2.

I wish i could buy a new 1m coupe off factory.

Smaller, nimbler an lighter that should be the things where bmw m must concentrate on. And stop the horsepower wars.

If you don t like cornering you could always take the train!
Appreciate 2
      03-18-2020, 07:08 PM   #49
AmuroRay
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dav3 View Post
S54 with CSL Airbox and Cams

V8 or above is way too much for the chassis
Correct answer. I was also willing to accept the S58.
Appreciate 1
5.M0NSTER3353.50
      03-18-2020, 07:12 PM   #50
AmuroRay
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by eeyang92 View Post
I've entertained the thought of doing a N55 -> B58 swap in the far future, including the turbo, air-to-water intercooler and fuel pump, etc.. Realistically, does anyone know how much trouble it would be to get all the electronics connected? I assume you would need the B58 ECU, but beyond that, the dash cluster and iDrive should be similar and hopefully plug in? (Just guessing here lol).

I've seen articles of people hitting 500-600 WHP with bigger turbos, E50 and tune. Mighty tempting lmao.
Buy an M240i and swap M parts.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2020, 01:45 AM   #51
Thevesh
Private
Czech_Republic
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by afwares View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin_NL View Post
N55 sound is awesome though, but it's not a track/high speed* driving engine vs S55. Tell me about it.

* 130-150mph mph for minutes it doesn't like. Mine didn't. Autobahn near Düsseldorf.....
Dude, you have been banging this drum for so long you should just change your name to Keith Moon and be done with it. Do you know how many POV videos have been done with the N55 M2 on the autobahn at max speed for minutes at a time? Do you realize your car could have thrown an error code for any number of reasons, from a bad spark plug to a bad tank of gas? You took that one situation, from which zero conclusions could be drawn because there were too many variables at play, and you've turned it into a multi-year indictment of the N55. If I had a dollar for every time you've posted the phrase "not up to the task" about the N55, I'd buy the Netherlands and proclaim a new law against going on the Internet and posting the phrase "not up to the task".

We get it - your car threw an error code on the autobahn. And yes, we all know there's the other member whose car threw an error code somewhere in Italy and he acknowledged it happened one time and was never repeated. If you want to be upset that your car threw an error code, nobody will take that away from you. My almost-new Mustang 5.0 once stranded me about 10 miles out of Tampa, fuel pump died prematurely. Not a fun day. But I didn't then spend literally years posting about how the Mustang V8 wasn't "up to the task". You got an error code, they happen, can we please move on?
To be honest happened to me too. After driving for about 2.5 hours between 90-240km/h on highway (damn trucks in left lane) with a lot of WOT. My M2 2016 went limp mode. I had no idea what went wrong. Scared me big time.

After arriving home, yes max 80km/h, hooked it up to bimmerlink. Cleared codes. Read through all relevant posts here. Ordered Wagner comp intercooler, charge pipes and turbosmart pb diverter. Changed over weekend with friend.

Ever since no issue. I have suspicion of boost leakage somewhere, what I found out is that the slight swoosh sound after let off gas i had since new was gone.

Still love my car and think N55 is great for commuting and "hooning" aswell. Not selling any time soon. Btw its not an engine what makes an M car. Its the complete package. So I would love our cars to be lighter 200kg with all the ammenities 😉.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2020, 02:27 AM   #52
5.M0NSTER
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE

I would gladly take an LS or LT V8, and compensate with 305 rear section rubber. And current gen Coyote would sound even better, but probably wouldn't package as well.
2018 Camaro SS 1LE. Because race car!

"Redline a day keeps the mechanics away"
Appreciate 0