BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M2 Forum > M2 Photos, Videos and Builds > BMW M2 at Nordschleife BTG time 7:50

07-14-2016, 08:01 AM   #45
marcva
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E36 M345

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie Jason View Post
Thank you! A lot of laps! But you can just buy a Playstation and Gran Turismo and you will learn it also in a safer circumstance
Are the Sim versions accurate enough? I've heard the 'Ring teachers loathe anyone who has learned the track on a sim. I suppose as long as you keep it in perspective as a relative orientation and get a sense of the relative braking and cornering of your real car vs the virtual one...

Marcva
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2016, 08:22 AM   #46
Robin_NL
S0THPAW
Rep
Drives: HS M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcva View Post
Are the Sim versions accurate enough? I've heard the 'Ring teachers loathe anyone who has learned the track on a sim. I suppose as long as you keep it in perspective as a relative orientation and get a sense of the relative braking and cornering of your real car vs the virtual one...

Marcva
GT/iRacing/AC are very accurate: iRacing and AC are laserscanned afaik.
Dunno about Gran Turismo.

But it's more about getting to know the track that way than going like an idiot the first time you're actually there!(because you 'know' the Nordschleife).

Cheers
Robin
Appreciate 4
      07-14-2016, 09:00 AM   #47
Rude Boy
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M4 6MT

Great Driving out there!
Appreciate 1
      07-14-2016, 09:10 AM   #48
adc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 ED

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Adjuster View Post
The M2 brakes seem to not be " M worthy ". Definitely the weakest stock brakes on an M car since I can remember.

Clearly BMW NA (and probably AG) recognizes this because at all the track days they slap on " M performance pads ".

Maybe the complaints about brake dust over the years caused them to go with a weaker pad compound ?
It's pointless, no BMW has ever come stock with track ready pads except the GTS which has the carbon ceramics. And they have been the same shitty pads in all the generations since E36, IMO you are wrong about the compound being degraded recently. Maybe your skill/speed has gone up along with the generations.

Track pads was the absolute first mod I did.

2018 F80 Santorini
2019 Z4 3.0i
2022 X2 M35i
Appreciate 1
      07-14-2016, 10:21 AM   #49
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by adc
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Adjuster View Post
The M2 brakes seem to not be " M worthy ". Definitely the weakest stock brakes on an M car since I can remember.

Clearly BMW NA (and probably AG) recognizes this because at all the track days they slap on " M performance pads ".

Maybe the complaints about brake dust over the years caused them to go with a weaker pad compound ?
It's pointless, no BMW has ever come stock with track ready pads except the GTS which has the carbon ceramics. And they have been the same shitty pads in all the generations since E36, IMO you are wrong about the compound being degraded recently. Maybe your skill/speed has gone up along with the generations.

Track pads was the absolute first mod I did.

Nearly every BMW I have driven was at least a car that could be taken to track by a novice or intermediate driver with the stock pads .. (Jurid for many years .. Now textar)

Perhaps you are correct , maybe this did begin earlier with the e46?

Agree speed and skill has gone up with the generations and of course the cars have gotten faster as well !

The 1M actually is terrific with stock pads whereas I faded the brakes on the M2 in about 5 laps when driving my 1M and an M2 on the same track on the same day with stock pads and street tires.
Appreciate 1
      07-14-2016, 10:36 AM   #50
MarineOh3
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 F30 / 2016 F15

I love these videos. Great driving and the sound out of that M2 is absolutely amazing.

I laughed at the beginning. Must have been doing 240kph and just having a conversation with your A-driver... Priceless.
      07-14-2016, 10:46 AM   #51
Boss330
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraser
Need more handicaps? ��
Awesome vid, really enjoyed it and you're saying you think it could do 7.40's, that's impressive, Fezza's, Lambo's and gt2/3 space? Wow
Although your comparison perhaps was between BTG laps for the cars you mentioned (?), on a general note it's important to keep in mind that a full lap is quite a bit longer than a BTG lap and that lap times can't be compared between the two.
Appreciate 1
      07-14-2016, 10:47 AM   #52
bradleyland
TIM YOYO
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcva View Post

Marcva
The problem with someone who has learned the track on a sim is overconfidence. Like Robin_NL mentioned, some of the sims have laser scanned tracks, but even that can't prepare you to go 10/10ths on your first time out.

I've never driven the Nurburgring in real life, but I've done so many laps of the circuit in simulators that I could see the danger in actually going there and driving it. Going fast is about finding your rhythm. To go really fast, you have to be driving two, sometimes three curves ahead. This is especially true on the Nordschleife, because of its complexity.

When you've driven hundreds of laps of the Nordschleife in a sim, it would be too easy to accidentally slip in to your "sim rhythm", ignoring the fact that you're there in real life, in a real car, with real track anomalies that aren't present in the sim version.

In a general sense though, I would say that many sims are absolutely accurate enough to teach you the basic driving line. As long as you don't take it that one step further and believe that you can go throw down your sub-8-minute sim laptime in real life on your first time out.
Past: 2010 135i - TiAg Coral Red 6MT ///M-Sport
Appreciate 3
      07-14-2016, 10:55 AM   #53
Boss330
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Adjuster
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie Jason
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraser View Post
Need more handicaps? ��
Awesome vid, really enjoyed it and you're saying you think it could do 7.40's, that's impressive, Fezza's, Lambo's and gt2/3 space? Wow
Yeah 7.40 is possible. I drove with a 75kg passenger and heavy stuff (around 15kilos) in the trunk.
I thought you were joking with the first comment.... Did you seriously drive on the ring with " junk in the trunk " ??

Over here that's pretty much forbidden... Course we also tend to make sure people wear helmets on track too.
The same rules apply on track days over here too.

But "tourist sessions" on the Nurburgring isn't technically a track day. It's a public toll road open to the public where all German traffic law applies. For instance, passing is only allowed to the left. Germany has free speed on certain parts of their roads, Nurburgring tourist sessions also have free speed. If you book a track day with one of the many events that take place there, the track is closed for the public and you need to wear a helmet etc.

So exactly like any other track day if you go on a track day. But tourist rides are NOT a track day event. Even though many drive like it's a track day though
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2016, 11:20 AM   #54
silverlude
Private
Rep
Drives: M2

Great driving and fun to watch, thanks for that precious moment!!!!
Appreciate 1
      07-14-2016, 12:41 PM   #55
bradleyland
TIM YOYO
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss330 View Post
The same rules apply on track days over here too.

But "tourist sessions" on the Nurburgring isn't technically a track day. It's a public toll road open to the public where all German traffic law applies. For instance, passing is only allowed to the left. Germany has free speed on certain parts of their roads, Nurburgring tourist sessions also have free speed. If you book a track day with one of the many events that take place there, the track is closed for the public and you need to wear a helmet etc.

So exactly like any other track day if you go on a track day. But tourist rides are NOT a track day event. Even though many drive like it's a track day though
Do they allow you to drive on tourist days with a helmet (if you choose)? Just curious.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2016, 12:46 PM   #56
Benzima
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie Jason View Post
Hi guys! Yesterday I did a lap around the Nordschleife in the BMW M2. The car really amazed me, it felt perfectly balanced and the power band was spot on. The car is completely stock and the only negative thing is that the brakes were starting to fade, not too big of a deal tho.

I was driving at a normal safe pace, trying not to push the car. It's a trackday, not a qualification like some people think

The BTG time is 7:50, but there is room of improvement. I think you can do with a stock M2 around the 7:40's if you really want to push.
Great review. Beside the brakes, what are your other comments about the car, considering your racing experience?
      07-14-2016, 01:39 PM   #57
MagnusT
Captain
Sweden
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradleyland View Post
Do they allow you to drive on tourist days with a helmet (if you choose)? Just curious.
Yup!
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2016, 01:47 PM   #58
Bosozoku
Almost completely sane
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 M2, '00 S2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradleyland View Post
The problem with someone who has learned the track on a sim is overconfidence. ...
Agree. If I ever get one of the driving sims (for my ancient PS2 even) I'll just crawl around the various tracks to learn the layouts. Not for braking or turn-in points.
'17 BMW M2 (BSM 6MT Exec CarPlay, TechnicPnP ASD bypass, IND M Perf shift knob + keyhole cover, Pedal Haus pedals + heel plate, 3M CR90 tint, BavSound Ghost woofers, Racing Dynamics strut tower brace, Dinan midpipe, Turner intercooler)
'00 Honda S2000 (Silverstone Metallic, black leather, factory titanium shift knob + front lip + trunk spoiler, front shock tower brace, front subframe x-brace)
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2016, 02:34 PM   #59
Kwando
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i xDrive

Nice driving! The car sounds great too!
Appreciate 1
      07-14-2016, 07:13 PM   #60
dammitcubs
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '16 M2 LBB

So then is the 7:58 times posted by BMW, What is that?
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2016, 07:16 PM   #61
DCG
REBEL
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X4

Appreciate 0
      07-14-2016, 09:52 PM   #62
bradleyland
TIM YOYO
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by dammitcubs View Post
So then is the 7:58 times posted by BMW, What is that?
This is a bridge-to-gantry (BTG) time, which is shorter than a full lap. It's not possible to do a full lap at speed on tourist days, because cars enter & exit the track on the main straight.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2016, 09:53 PM   #63
dammitcubs
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '16 M2 LBB

Thanks for the clarification
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2016, 10:05 PM   #64
Throttleblip
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 ZCP 2016

Amazing skills!! Would love to see you drive an M4 zcp around the same track and get your comparison.
Appreciate 1
      07-15-2016, 03:24 AM   #65
DCG
REBEL
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X4

Smooth driving. The M2 looks real stable and flickable. Besides size how does the M2 compare to the M4 because these cars are getting to dam expensive.
Appreciate 1
      07-15-2016, 04:17 AM   #66
Jamie Vandenbalck
Belgian racing driver
Belgium
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin_NL View Post
GT/iRacing/AC are very accurate: iRacing and AC are laserscanned afaik.
Dunno about Gran Turismo.

But it's more about getting to know the track that way than going like an idiot the first time you're actually there!(because you 'know' the Nordschleife).

Cheers
Robin
Indeed! On a simulator you learn everything about the track (or at least on a good simulator). Off or on-camber corners, bumps, braking points, steer-in points and cte

But it's not because you are good on the sim, you are also good in the real thing