BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip > Racelogic VBOX Performance Box for Track?

05-06-2021, 03:16 PM   #1
abirmaher
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M2 & 2024 BMW X1 M35i

Garage List
  [0.00]
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
Racelogic VBOX Performance Box for Track?

Hi All. A few years ago I happened on a good deal on a Racelogic VBOX Performance Box and picked one up. As far as I remember it has sat in its box since then. Over the past few years, I have started doing a track day here and there using tools like Harry's Lap Timer App to record data.

Today while moving some boxes I found the Performance Box, updated it and it seems to be in perfect working order and I am wondering if this is a suitable, more accurate, and more reliable replacement for using Harry's Lap Timer on a phone? I know it does Lap timing but can't seem to find a ton of info beyond that. It seems like most people I see using these for 0-60 times, 1/4 miles, straight-line stuff rather than lap timing.

Does anyone have experience with these? Specifically on a track for logging and timing to bring the data back for review as well as for export to programs like Race Render which I use for making videos from my go pro with data overlay. Any insight is appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2021, 03:29 AM   #2
NISFAN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

AFAIK Harry's Laptimer uses the phones 1Hz GPS data. VBox uses 10Hz, so is much more accurate. You can view the sessions on the Racelogic data analysis software and export csv files for apps like Racerender. I'd definitely use that rather than Harry's.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2021, 08:46 AM   #3
abirmaher
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by NISFAN View Post
AFAIK Harry's Laptimer uses the phones 1Hz GPS data. VBox uses 10Hz, so is much more accurate. You can view the sessions on the Racelogic data analysis software and export csv files for apps like Racerender. I'd definitely use that rather than Harry's.
Thanks for that. I use an external 10GHz GPS unit anyways so that should be minimally different but a nice all in 1 set and forget unit is nice.

I am considering selling this one and picking something up that takes data from the car as well though which would be great, like an AIM Solo or something like that. Any input comparing those 2? Any ideas where this might sell well? Going to post here in members' classifieds and see what happens.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2021, 03:54 AM   #4
NISFAN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

I can vouch for AIM, I have one of their dash data loggers. Having full telemetry from the car is quite trick. Steering wheel angle for example. It's just a shame the end user can't add to the list. It'd be fun to have read outs from the ride height sensors and M Diff lock ratio.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2021, 09:34 AM   #5
abirmaher
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
Quote:
I can vouch for AIM, I have one of their dash data loggers. Having full telemetry from the car is quite trick. Steering wheel angle for example. It's just a shame the end user can't add to the list. It'd be fun to have read outs from the ride height sensors and M Diff lock ratio.
Absolutely. Which one are you running? Solo 2? What kind of data are you able to collect? Running vía OBD or hard wired?
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2021, 11:44 AM   #6
NISFAN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by abirmaher View Post
Quote:
Absolutely. Which one are you running? Solo 2? What kind of data are you able to collect? Running vía OBD or hard wired?
I've got an older generation digital dash, MXL Pista. It picks up quite a few 'race team' channels including engine data and chassis data, pedal and throttle position, IAT, engine temperature, wheel speeds ( all), brake, steering wheel angle and has capability to add additional sensors. I'd like to add ride height and brake and tyre temps.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2021, 11:54 AM   #7
detroitm2
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Agreed. I'm running the solo 2 DL. Hardwired to canbus and 12v.

All kinds of data available.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2021, 01:29 PM   #8
abirmaher
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by detroitm2 View Post
Quote:
Quote:

Awesome to hear. How was install? How do you have it mounted? Any info you can provide is appreciated as this is the way I think I'm leaning.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2021, 01:53 PM   #9
detroitm2
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Awesome to hear. How was install? How do you have it mounted? Any info you can provide is appreciated as this is the way I think I'm leaning.
Install wasn't bad, but im fairly handy with electronics. I tapped the 2 canbus lines in the FEM and ran switched power from the trunk. There's probably some coming to the FEM, but I didn't have a diagram handy and honestly it's a pain working from there.

I actually drilled a hole in the underside of my passenger footwell and installed a 4 pin aviation jack. Then soldered the female connect to the end of the line going to the solo. That way, I can remove it when I'm not at the track.

The one problem I had with this is it seems the solo does not "hangup" the canbus lines when you shut the car off. This caused a warning to come up when I started the car back up letting me know something was draining power.

To combat this, I built a small 2 channel relay box that completely severs the canbus lines when the ignition power is turned off. If you search around here for aim solo, you'll probably find my post about it. Also have some stuff on my IG, and my YouTube video doing the ECA-2 install touches on it a bit.

To mount to the dash, I used a proclip and a ram ball mounted to the back of the solo mount. This let's me position it right over the vents in direct view while I'm driving. It's super secure.

This is honestly a really good setup if you're a data nerd like me. Plus, you can make some nice overlays with gopro footage, or if you don't mind sacraficing a bit of quality for ease of use, the Smartycam HD.
Appreciate 1
abirmaher837.50
      05-08-2021, 01:58 PM   #10
vale007
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: e82 1 M coupe

Pirelli TrackAdrenaline is very accurate and with some nice features - it’s half price of the racelogic and laptimes match exactly with it.
Appreciate 1
abirmaher837.50
      05-08-2021, 06:56 PM   #11
abirmaher
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Install wasn't bad, but im fairly handy with electronics. I tapped the 2 canbus lines in the FEM and ran switched power from the trunk. There's probably some coming to the FEM, but I didn't have a diagram handy and honestly it's a pain working from there.

I actually drilled a hole in the underside of my passenger footwell and installed a 4 pin aviation jack. Then soldered the female connect to the end of the line going to the solo. That way, I can remove it when I'm not at the track.

The one problem I had with this is it seems the solo does not "hangup" the canbus lines when you shut the car off. This caused a warning to come up when I started the car back up letting me know something was draining power.

To combat this, I built a small 2 channel relay box that completely severs the canbus lines when the ignition power is turned off. If you search around here for aim solo, you'll probably find my post about it. Also have some stuff on my IG, and my YouTube video doing the ECA-2 install touches on it a bit.

To mount to the dash, I used a proclip and a ram ball mounted to the back of the solo mount. This let's me position it right over the vents in direct view while I'm driving. It's super secure.

This is honestly a really good setup if you're a data nerd like me. Plus, you can make some nice overlays with gopro footage, or if you don't mind sacraficing a bit of quality for ease of use, the Smartycam HD.
Thanks for all of that. I'll have to look into it and find your post. Do you leave it on always or just put it in the car when on the track?
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2021, 06:57 PM   #12
abirmaher
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by vale007 View Post
Pirelli TrackAdrenaline is very accurate and with some nice features - it’s half price of the racelogic and laptimes match exactly with it.
Thanks will check it out
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2021, 07:55 PM   #13
detroitm2
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Thanks for all of that. I'll have to look into it and find your post. Do you leave it on always or just put it in the car when on the track?
Just put it on when I hit the track.
Appreciate 1
abirmaher837.50