BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Competition Model > PPF or no PPF?

View Poll Results: PPF or no PPF?
Yes and I made the right choice 82 64.06%
Yes and I regret it 8 6.25%
No and I made the right choice 30 23.44%
No and I regret it 8 6.25%
Voters: 128. You may not vote on this poll

08-15-2020, 03:33 PM   #1
Up4speed
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C

Garage List
2013 Ferrari 458  [0.00]
2015 Golf GTI  [0.00]
PPF or no PPF?

I have a 2021 M2C that is scheduled for September production. I'm trying to decide whether to do PPF or not when the car arrives. If I do it, I would like to do it while the car is still new. I would probably do the whole nose, and mirrors.
What have you guys decided, and are you happy with the decision, or do you regret it.
The Pros of doing it are obviously to protect the paint.
The cons are:
-Cost
-Edges that will eventually get dirt caught in them and look bad
- Peeling at the edges of the aggressively angled front bumper
- Lack of paint clarity where it's applied
- Have to replace every 5 or 6 years
- Risk of pulling paint up when removed and needing a full repaint, or at least a clear coat
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2020, 04:24 PM   #2
BigKutta
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C, 2019 330xi, 2017 Q7

Garage List
2019 330xi  [0.00]
2017 Audi Q7 3.0  [0.00]
2020 M2C  [0.00]
Except for the last 2 cons, a good shop will avoid all the other ones. Its a personal decision. Around here a full ppf would be $4k, and to me its not worth it.
Appreciate 2
chris7197322.50
pizza240788.50
      08-15-2020, 04:26 PM   #3
Anthony1s
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2018 Mineral Grey M2

I have my whole car PPF'd since the day it was delivered. March 2018

My opinion, I love it as a time saver when washing my car. I don't have to be super careful washing it, and I don't care about little things like kids playing around my car or rocks coming up and chipping it. So it's made me less "on-edge" which I appreciate.

Downside is it does cost more and complicate things if you're in an accident. For example, there is a defect in my doors where they are hitting the door jams and wearing away paint. I'm not sure they can fix it without removing the quarter panel piece. Which is like $1600 to replace... And it means if you're in an accident it takes longer to get your car back. Especially since, for me, two different places for paint and PPF. So I have to wait for my car to get painted, then wait for an opening at my PPF installer after. At the end of it, I'm miserable and just want my car back.

There is some slight peeling on the inside of the outer cooling vents on the front bumper. I took a razor and sliced off the peeling sections. That stops it from spreading. No other places have peeled and my edges everywhere else look the same as the day it was applied.

Overall, I don't regret it at all though. Simply for the peace of mind. Just make sure you have the money to replace it if needed.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2020, 04:38 PM   #4
beanfritter
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M2C

I had the whole car done when it was new, in fact the dealer had it done for me before I even picked it up. The dealer (and the PPF place) are a 5+ hour drive from me, so I was happy with this arrangement. If you're going to PPF the car, better to do it when the car is pristine. I was bummed when I noticed a few defects after owning the car for a couple of days. The PPF shop was willing to help me out, and I figured I would find the time to have them trim and/or re-do a few sections after this Covid thing passed. This was late March 2020.

The longer it's been, the less I care. The defect areas are hard to spot. Now that the new car enthusiasm has warn off, the prospect of dealing with it seems like exactly what it is: a major hassle to fix something that is easier to choose not to care about.

The hood of my other car is so incredibly chewed up from rocks. It is nice not having to wince when I hear a bunch of little rocks smack into the M2.

I didn't know what to vote for.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2020, 04:48 PM   #5
beanfritter
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony1s View Post
There is some slight peeling [...] I took a razor and sliced off the peeling sections.
This is one such defect I have on mine. It hasn't spread, and it is hard to notice - it's only where the film has been folded around the edge of a panel. There are areas where it doesn't adhere perfectly to the other side. The PPF shop recommended the razor treatment. I guess I am too much of a wuss to take a razor blade to my car.

The other type of defect I have is a few spots where the material at the edge appears to be stretched so that it will no longer lay flat, creating a little pocket in which dirt accumulates. I don't see how this is fixable without replacing the entire PPF sheet (or just slicing it out and leaving an unprotected section).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony1s View Post
time saver when washing my car
I noticed this too. Car is very easy to wash.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2020, 04:49 PM   #6
yaymitch
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2CS & 2022 RSQ8

I had the front bumper, mirrors and rocker panels done. I track mine so that's why I did it. The whole car was much more and decided it wasn't worth it especially since I rarely keep cars longer than 2-3 years.
      08-15-2020, 04:51 PM   #7
Anthony1s
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2018 Mineral Grey M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by beanfritter View Post
This is one such defect I have on mine. It hasn't spread, and it is hard to notice - it's only where the film has been folded around the edge of a panel. There are areas where it doesn't adhere perfectly to the other side. The PPF shop recommended the razor treatment. I guess I am too much of a wuss to take a razor blade to my car.

The other type of defect I have is a few spots where the material at the edge appears to be stretched so that it will no longer lay flat, creating a little pocket in which dirt accumulates. I don't see how this is fixable without replacing the entire PPF sheet (or just slicing it out and leaving an unprotected section).

I noticed this too. Car is very easy to wash.
Wait, is your PPF wrapped around the edges?

Mine isn't. Mine is Xpel pre-cut sheets that go up to the edge but don't wrap around them.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2020, 04:53 PM   #8
SilverScotty
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C HS 6MT

I had the full front done as soon as I picked up the car. Bumper, hood, mirrors, fenders and rocker panels. Got a chip in the quarter panel a month later and took it back in and had the roof, doors and quarter panels done. In that month I could already tell how much it he protected the paint from dings and rock chips. I plan on keeping the car for a long time so the cost was worth it to me. Many don't care about mainaining the paint so that should ultimately be the deciding factor for you.

The cost was steep but I don't regret it. Just the other day I watched a rock bounce off the hood and it barely left a mark. Honestly I really enjoy looking at this car so I personally want it looking as close to perfect for as long as possible. I will also attest that it makes cleaning the car very easy. The water and dirt just roll off. It's pretty amazing. I have the Xpel Ultimate I believe.

Good luck OP. Either decision will be the right one for you.

Last edited by SilverScotty; 08-15-2020 at 04:56 PM.. Reason: Update on cleaning
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2020, 05:24 PM   #9
Dark-Yoda
Private
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2020 BSM M2C

Garage List
i say yes, but only if it is done by a knowledgeable shop that uses full sheets to get maximum/full coverage. otherwise get a nice thick coat of ceramic and take good care of it
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2020, 05:25 PM   #10
jkoral
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 LBB 6MT

The only thing I regret was not getting the full hood wrapped -- I was trying to keep it under $2K and I was doing tint and larger rear quarter panels, etc. As a result, there is a line about 1/3rd up the hood. I don't notice it anymore, but people seeing my car for the first time always do.

Mine is wrapped around every edge. I struggle to see there is PPF looking with the naked eye. It does come up on the other side of the edge, I always dry the under side of my hood when washing the car and that is the only way to see it. I always go gently when drying over that wrapped edge.

Regarding the con "Lack of paint clarity where it's applied", my installer requires a full paint correction before application, even on brand new cars. Since any paint defects will be locked in, that's the only way to do it.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2020, 07:59 PM   #11
boss2k
Colonel
Rep

yes if you keep the car 5 yrs or more, since I am trading every 2 yrs I am not recovering the cost and its beneficial to the new owner
      08-15-2020, 09:14 PM   #12
KevinM
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2002 M5;2007 M Coupe;2020 M2C

Garage List
2020 M2 Competition  [10.00]
2007 E86 M coupe  [8.38]
2002 E39 M5  [9.00]
If you are thinking about it, just do it. Otherwise, when you get that first big chip (it will happen) you will really regret it. It doesn't have to be expensive. For around $1000, you can have 22" of the hood, mirrors, front fenders, front bumper and rear arches done. That package will cover where the vast majority of chips occur.

IMO, the most important place is in front of the rear fender. We all love the way the M2C flares out in back, but that fender is a chip magnet. The tiny OE PPF that is placed there is woefully inadequate. I had a much lager piece placed that extends to the door.

PPF doesn't always have to be replaced every 5 years. The PPF on my M5 is now 12 years old and still looks the same.

FWIW, I have never heard of the original paint or clear coat peeling from removing PPF. Even with repainted panels, the problem is usually low quality paint or subpar application, lack of appropriate cure time before the PPF was installed, poor removal technique, or a combination of these.
2021 Kia Telluride (hauler)
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2020, 09:33 PM   #13
boss2k
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinM View Post
If you are thinking about it, just do it. Otherwise, when you get that first big chip (it will happen) you will really regret it. It doesn't have to be expensive. For around $1000, you can have 22" of the hood, mirrors, front fenders, front bumper and rear arches done. That package will cover where the vast majority of chips occur.

IMO, the most important place is in front of the rear fender. We all love the way the M2C flares out in back, but that fender is a chip magnet. The tiny OE PPF that is placed there is woefully inadequate. I had a much lager piece placed that extends to the door.

PPF doesn't always have to be replaced every 5 years. The PPF on my M5 is now 12 years old and still looks the same.

FWIW, I have never heard of the original paint or clear coat peeling from removing PPF. Even with repainted panels, the problem is usually low quality paint or subpar application, lack of appropriate cure time before the PPF was installed, poor removal technique, or a combination of these.
Have you tried removing PPF from your 12 old paint, I bet it won't be successful without damaging the paint
      08-15-2020, 10:17 PM   #14
pz619
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F87 M2C 6MT, Tesla 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by boss2k View Post
Have you tried removing PPF from your 12 old paint, I bet it won't be successful without damaging the paint
Yeah but the flip side is 12 years of driving without PPF one could argue your paint is already damaged. Catch 22.

Might have to go back to the old days of those front black bra/masks.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2020, 10:45 PM   #15
KevinM
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
2007 E86 M coupe  [8.38]
2002 E39 M5  [9.00]
Quote:
Quote:

Not planning on finding out, but my PPF installer is very confident he can do just that, if ever needed. No right answer to PPF, each his own.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2020, 10:47 PM   #16
boss2k
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pz619 View Post
Quote:
Yeah but the flip side is 12 years of driving without PPF one could argue your paint is already damaged. Catch 22.

depends where you drive and how you drive. I have a 10 yr old Acura with hardly any paint damage on the hood but bumper needs repainting that's because the car is driven mainly on local roads and not on freeways
      08-15-2020, 11:08 PM   #17
KevinM
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
2007 E86 M coupe  [8.38]
2002 E39 M5  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by pz619 View Post
Yeah, I used these on on my BMWs (including the M5) until I felt PPF technology had improved enough to be a rational choice. I hate these bras because on my previous E39 530, the thing became loose at 90 mph on the highway. I heard a noise and stopped right away but it still caused significant scratches where the clips had come undone on the arch. And I was compulsive about putting the bra on.

Anyway, I'm not a PPF fanatic. It has it uses. For example, I have no PPF on my Z4M coupe, which I bought in 2007. It's not a DD and I don't drive it on the highway, so I felt fine not installing PPF and do not regret that decision.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2020, 02:22 AM   #18
redgs4
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C HS 6MT

The last time I had PPF on a car was the early 2000's and every bad thing on your list happened. The current tech is much better.

I just talked to a shop today about PPF and Ceramic coating. In the Bay Area / Norcal it's really fvcking expensive.
I'll (probably) be going with the full frontal plus roof, rocker panels, extended rear quarter panel, and partial rear bumper behind the rear wheels.

In a few years I expect my main regret will be not forking over even more $$ for the full wrap.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2020, 06:26 AM   #19
Peterglen
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2c 2019 M3cs

PPF is the funniest car scam ever.

Cars are for use and enjoyment. Rock chips and the like are character marks. Most people want 3-5k to PPF a whole car? Do you know how many touch up jobs you can get done for that? A life times worth...

Not to mention most stuff yellows within a couple years.

I personally just think it’s a total waste of money. Maybe I’d do it of a full carbon or some such super car, but I’d never do it on a anything short of a quarter million.

I raced a 997 911 turbo yesterday, and he peppered the fuck out of my front bumper with rocks on an on ramp...But the look on his face as I whizzed by him made it all worth it. I’ll probably have them bumper touched up before next summer for a couple hundred bucks.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2020, 07:10 AM   #20
VisualEcho
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 M2 6MT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
Quote:
Quote:

No problem whatsoever.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2020, 11:06 AM   #21
mrussell
Private
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW M2C 6sp

I have had the car for 18 months and 7000 miles and no chips. I have even driven on gravel roads but keep speed below 25mph. I keep my distance on highways, and maybe our roads are kept cleaner, but I never have problems with chipping. The design of the M2C also has the hood recessed, so most rocks would hit the plastic front end. Also, the small factory ppf in front of the rear wheels must do its job as their are no chips in the fender flare.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2020, 12:11 PM   #22
boss2k
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peterglen View Post
PPF is the funniest car scam ever.

Cars are for use and enjoyment. Rock chips and the like are character marks. Most people want 3-5k to PPF a whole car? Do you know how many touch up jobs you can get done for that? A life times worth...

Not to mention most stuff yellows within a couple years.

I personally just think it's a total waste of money. Maybe I'd do it of a full carbon or some such super car, but I'd never do it on a anything short of a quarter million.

I raced a 997 911 turbo yesterday, and he peppered the fuck out of my front bumper with rocks on an on ramp...But the look on his face as I whizzed by him made it all worth it. I'll probably have them bumper touched up before next summer for a couple hundred bucks.
You beat a Porsche 911 with your M2C ? its that fast?