BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in | Oil & Fluids | Servicing | TSB | Recalls > Clutch pedal click and crunchy gear change

12-04-2023, 08:50 AM   #1
searley86
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

Clutch pedal click and crunchy gear change

Hi all,
I have a ‘17 M2 with 45k on it. It’s always had slightly crunchy gear changes, but I was told my a mechanic (and some post on forums) that it’s not an issue.
Recently my clutch pedal has developed a click which I can feel in my foot. I believe it’s right at the top, between the bite and clutch resting point are. Gear changes have felt a bit more clunky, sometimes having to slow down as it feels the clutch hasn’t fully released.
From some googling I feel it could be the clutch master cylinder, but would love other ideas/input on things to check myself before I take it to the shop.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2023, 12:49 PM   #2
ThreeStripes
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X3M

Quote:
Originally Posted by searley86 View Post
Hi all,
I have a ‘17 M2 with 45k on it. It’s always had slightly crunchy gear changes, but I was told my a mechanic (and some post on forums) that it’s not an issue.
Recently my clutch pedal has developed a click which I can feel in my foot. I believe it’s right at the top, between the bite and clutch resting point are. Gear changes have felt a bit more clunky, sometimes having to slow down as it feels the clutch hasn’t fully released.
From some googling I feel it could be the clutch master cylinder, but would love other ideas/input on things to check myself before I take it to the shop.
‘17 with 32k and about 24 track days. I know the pedal click you’re describing. I only experience it once every 6mo so it’s a non-issue for me. It doesn’t impact anything related to gear changes. It just… clicks once in a blue moon.

Re: crunchy gear shifts

It’s time for a trans fluid flush. Did mine at 22k and changes on and off track were greatly improved. I’ll do it every 15-20k to keep everything buttery.

YMMV good luck to you.
Appreciate 1
      12-04-2023, 02:28 PM   #3
jefe2000
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 6MT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
I haven’t experienced the clutch pedal click. But the crunchy shifts are familiar to me. The 2→3 shift in particular was crunchy sometimes, whether the transmission was warm or cold. It was a sort of metallic crunch or grindy feeling. Like the previous poster indicated, a transmission fluid flush cleared it right up!

Last edited by jefe2000; 01-13-2024 at 09:19 AM.. Reason: converting inadvertent HTML code to an arrow character
Appreciate 1
      12-05-2023, 02:18 PM   #4
searley86
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

Thanks for the replies! I’ve booked it in with my shop for them to double check and do a trans flush, hopefully everything will be smooth soon.
Appreciate 0