BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Competition Model > M2C - Share your Journey

10-22-2020, 08:20 PM   #1981
boss2k
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C

This is the best mod I did , car looks aggressive with bigger exhaust tips. I also think the stock exhaust sounds insane in sports plus mode
Attached Images

///AVM2528.00
      10-22-2020, 10:16 PM   #1982
j23
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by boss2k View Post
This is the best mod I did , car looks aggressive with bigger exhaust tips. I also think the stock exhaust sounds insane in sports plus mode
Looks great. I'm also a big fan of the stock exhaust in sport plus mode. Just enough pops and burbles for my taste. Nothing over the top.

Just the other day, I was driving home from a park after doing some sprints with my friend. I was super tired, so I set the car into efficient/comfort and just cruised in peace with little to no effort while rowing through the gears (my legs were killing me, as I could barely move them). Big kudos to auto rev-match too.

I love this car for what it is. Great to be able to choose your poison on any given day.
Appreciate 2
boss2k1064.50
///AVM2528.00
      10-23-2020, 04:09 PM   #1983
///AVM
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: G80 M3C

Fellow M2C enthusiasts

Some great post of late!!! Thanks to all for sharing your journeys, including insights that only Poochie can provide . . . this forum is an incredible resource.

Been hitting it hard at work, so time has been limited toward forum contributions . . . but I do keep up with the forum posts between patients and surgeries.

Walking out of hospital yesterday and I could not help but notice that I got the beast's suspension height perfectly dialed-in with the MP Coilovers . . . snapped a quick pic. If only I could capture the glorious MPE acoustics.

///AVM
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
Poochie9103.00
JCZ51482.50
      10-23-2020, 04:23 PM   #1984
Poochie
Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///AVM View Post
Fellow M2C enthusiasts

Some great post of late!!! Thanks to all for sharing your journeys, including insights that only Poochie can provide . . . this forum is an incredible resource.

Been hitting it hard at work, so time has been limited toward forum contributions . . . but I do keep up with the forum posts between patients and surgeries.

Walking out of hospital yesterday and I could not help but notice that I got the beast's suspension height perfectly dialed-in with the MP Coilovers . . . snapped a quick pic. If only I could capture the glorious MPE acoustics.

///AVM
Oh, you really are a surgeon; I thought you was joking when you said you did 'surgeries,' or maybe just a serial killer like "Dexter" or something..
My mind wanders 🤷🏻

Good for you

If you ever want to thank me, you can always "lose" a couple of blank prescription slips, around my way

J/k Obviously..
Appreciate 2
///AVM2528.00
      10-23-2020, 05:30 PM   #1985
///AVM
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poochie View Post
Oh, you really are a surgeon; I thought you was joking when you said you did 'surgeries,' or maybe just a serial killer like "Dexer" or something..
My mind wanders 🤷🏻

Good for you

If you ever want to thank me, you can always "lose" a couple of blank prescription slips, around my way

J/k Obviously..
Hahaha. . . yes Poochie, I really commit surgery for a living.

I think DEXTER was unofficially a member of the surgical community before he extricated himself from society.

///AVM
Appreciate 2
      10-24-2020, 07:27 PM   #1986
boss2k
Colonel
Rep

Noticed something weird , cruising on 3rd gear around 40-45 mph and step on it there is a turbo lag and it takes some time for the car to pick up speed , anyone notice that?
      10-24-2020, 07:33 PM   #1987
///AVM
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Noticed something weird , cruising on 3rd gear around 40-45 mph and step on it there is a turbo lag and it takes some time for the car to pick up speed , anyone notice that?
Boss

You answered your own question brother.

If you are in 3rd gear and going 40-45 mph, then you are lugging the shit out of your car. . . or, if you like, turbo lag galore.

You need to wring your beast out a bit.

///AVM
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2020, 07:35 PM   #1988
smknjoe
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C, 2018 GTI, 2007 Rabbi

Yep. Need to stay above ~3,000 to stay in the boost.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2020, 09:31 PM   #1989
boss2k
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Boss

If you are in 3rd gear and going 40-45 mph, then you are lugging the shit out of your car. . . or, if you like, turbo lag galore.

///AVM
AVM

Really if I am driving in 3rd gear at 40-45 I am lugging the car ? I guess it's normal gearing at this speed , infact sometimes I am in 4th gear at this speed when I am coasting at that speed

since you drive a DCT can you check which gear the car is in when you are in D mode ?
      10-25-2020, 05:47 AM   #1990
///AVM
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
AVM

Really if I am driving in 3rd gear at 40-45 I am lugging the car ? I guess it's normal gearing at this speed , infact sometimes I am in 4th gear at this speed when I am coasting at that speed

since you drive a DCT can you check which gear the car is in when you are in D mode ?
Boss

You are only lugging the car if you are in 3rd or 4th gear cruising at 40-50 THEN apply aggressive throttle . . . under which circumstance you describe experiencing 'turbo lag.'

If I am in just cruising at 40-50 mph (Efficient and DCT Automatic modes), I will be in D7 and about 2K RPM.

If I am just cruising at 40-50 mph (Sport and DCT Automatic modes), I will be in D5 and between 2-3K RPM.

If I am just cruising at 40-50 mph (Sport Plus and DCT Automatic modes), I will be in D4/5 and about 3K RPM.

How do I know? I just went out and tried all of these modes. As expected, applying aggressive throttle in any of the above scenarios is associated with some lugging and turbo lag. . . albeit a little less as you move from Efficient to Sport Plus modes.

This pertains to why I almost never use anything other than manual mode . . . the MT fanboy in me will not give up control of shift points.

I believe you own a MT, so I see no reason for you to ever be in 3rd or 4th gears and going 40-50 mph . . . unless you are just 'Sunday cruising' around town. Under such circumstance, I cannot imagine the need to apply aggressive throttle.

If you do find such need and do not want the lug/lag, then downshift to 2nd gear before aggressive throttle application.

///AVM

EDIT: Not to convolute things, but this topic pertains to just one reason why the Porsche PDK is so damn good. If you are ‘cruising’ in PDK automatic and Efficient modes at say 40-50 mph - as with BMW DCT - you will be in 6th or 7th gears.

To avoid lugging/turbo lag you have two options. (1) give a quick pump release of the throttle and the transmission will switch to the lowest gear possible, then you can apply aggressive throttle with no engine lug and minimal turbo lag. In essence, this maneuver equates to manually downshifting to get RPMs up before applying aggressive throttle. (2) apply WOT. PDK will similarly shift to the lowest gear possible followed by max throttle and, again, be associated with no engine lug and minimal turbo lag.

Both (1) and (2) above can occur very quickly BUT not INSTANTLY. In other words, there is a bit of a delay, but the delay is no longer than the time it takes to manually downshift. These maneuvers prevent lugging and minimize turbo lag . . . just as occurs with downshifting in MT or DCT manual mode.

Last edited by ///AVM; 10-25-2020 at 06:08 AM..
Appreciate 1
boss2k1064.50
      10-25-2020, 07:28 AM   #1991
JCZ5
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 (G05)

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Boss

///AVM
AVM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smknjoe View Post
Yep. Need to stay above ~3,000 to stay in the boost.
I have a manual and that happens. As said before, you need to be above at least 3K rpm to sense minimal delay in acceleration lag.
boss2k1064.50
      10-25-2020, 10:18 AM   #1992
boss2k
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
AVM

Boss

You are only lugging the car if you are in 3rd or 4th gear cruising at 40-50 THEN apply aggressive throttle . . . under which circumstance you describe experiencing 'turbo lag.'

If I am in just cruising at 40-50 mph (Efficient and DCT Automatic modes), I will be in D7 and about 2K RPM.

If I am just cruising at 40-50 mph (Sport and DCT Automatic modes), I will be in D5 and between 2-3K RPM.

If I am just cruising at 40-50 mph (Sport Plus and DCT Automatic modes), I will be in D4/5 and about 3K RPM.

How do I know? I just went out and tried all of these modes. As expected, applying aggressive throttle in any of the above scenarios is associated with some lugging and turbo lag. . . albeit a little less as you move from Efficient to Sport Plus modes.

This pertains to why I almost never use anything other than manual mode . . . the MT fanboy in me will not give up control of shift points.

I believe you own a MT, so I see no reason for you to ever be in 3rd or 4th gears and going 40-50 mph . . . unless you are just 'Sunday cruising' around town. Under such circumstance, I cannot imagine the need to apply aggressive throttle.

If you do find such need and do not want the lug/lag, then downshift to 2nd gear before aggressive throttle application.

///AVM

EDIT: Not to convolute things, but this topic pertains to just one reason why the Porsche PDK is so damn good. If you are ‘cruising’ in PDK automatic and Efficient modes at say 40-50 mph - as with BMW DCT - you will be in 6th or 7th gears.

To avoid lugging/turbo lag you have two options. (1) give a quick pump release of the throttle and the transmission will switch to the lowest gear possible, then you can apply aggressive throttle with no engine lug and minimal turbo lag. In essence, this maneuver equates to manually downshifting to get RPMs up before applying aggressive throttle. (2) apply WOT. PDK will similarly shift to the lowest gear possible followed by max throttle and, again, be associated with no engine lug and minimal turbo lag.

Both (1) and (2) above can occur very quickly BUT not INSTANTLY. In other words, there is a bit of a delay, but the delay is no longer than the time it takes to manually downshift. These maneuvers prevent lugging and minimize turbo lag . . . just as occurs with downshifting in MT or DCT manual mode.
Thanks for the detailed explanation and I dont normally apply power when I am cruising around in 3/4th at slow speeds, always downshift for enhanced acceleration. Yes i have a manual and just noticed it yesterday.
      10-25-2020, 11:39 AM   #1993
j23
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Anyone else notice how twitchy this car is at high speeds? - Say you're doing 90+ mph, and want to change lanes fast or take a curve at those or similar speeds, the car feels a little "nervous" or unsettled.

It's a little tricky to point it with precision. I'm not sure if it's because it lacks aero (like the CS has) or if that's the nature of a short wheelbase. It doesn't feel "wrong", per se, but somewhat awkward. Could this be the result of all those things, in addition to sport or sport plus steering modes?

I truly believe nothing is wrong with my car. Maybe that's just a characteristic I have to get used to? - I wanna say that my e46 M3 felt more stable or predictable at those speeds.

Or maybe it's all in my head. I don't know.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2020, 12:05 PM   #1994
JCZ5
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 (G05)

Quote:
Originally Posted by j23 View Post
Anyone else notice how twitchy this car is at high speeds? - Say you're doing 90+ mph, and want to change lanes fast or take a curve at those or similar speeds, the car feels a little "nervous" or unsettled.

It's a little tricky to point it with precision. I'm not sure if it's because it lacks aero (like the CS has) or if that's the nature of a short wheelbase. It doesn't feel "wrong", per se, but somewhat awkward. Could this be the result of all those things, in addition to sport or sport plus steering modes?

I truly believe nothing is wrong with my car. Maybe that's just a characteristic I have to get used to? - I wanna say that my e46 M3 felt more stable or predictable at those speeds.

Or maybe it's all in my head. I don't know.
It is the short wheelbase for sure. I drove the M4 quite frequently before getting the M2C and you can definitely notice the stability difference between the two.

In terms of street cars, other than overall shape of the car, aero is pretty consistent across modern like for like cars. There are so many factors that can affect stability, such as wind direction and any cambers on the road. I wouldn't say the M2C lacks any "aero" that would result in depreciated stability. Other than the wheelbase metric I mentioned earlier 😉
j23654.50
      10-25-2020, 02:58 PM   #1995
j23
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCZ5 View Post
It is the short wheelbase for sure. I drove the M4 quite frequently before getting the M2C and you can definitely notice the stability difference between the two.

In terms of street cars, other than overall shape of the car, aero is pretty consistent across modern like for like cars. There are so many factors that can affect stability, such as wind direction and any cambers on the road. I wouldn't say the M2C lacks any "aero" that would result in depreciated stability. Other than the wheelbase metric I mentioned earlier 😉
That makes sense and aligns with my speculation. This car drives very well, but it is the short wheelbase that makes it seem more busy at high speeds. Maybe the word I'm looking for is "sensitive" to any steering input. Like, extremely so. I feel that this sensitivity is only amplified in Sport/Plus modes.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2020, 03:01 PM   #1996
j23
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Double post. Ignore.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2020, 03:15 PM   #1997
///AVM
Banned
United_States
Rep

JCZ5

Wont argue with anything stated, and the short wheel base is a very reasonable explanation.

That said, I honestly have not appreciated the M2C to be (overly) 'sensitive' when it comes to handling at high speeds.

By 'sensitive' I assume j23 means (overly) responsive to steering inputs??

Perhaps all relative to where you are coming from?

///AVM
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2020, 03:44 PM   #1998
j23
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I suck at describing these things.

Car feels a little floaty during high speeds. Could be the wheelbase. Or perhaps the electric steering that I'm not fully used to yet. When I would point the e46 M3, it would go there. It's almost like the steering on the M2C is trying to catch up with my inputs. Again, maybe I'm just not fully used to how this car drives. It's nothing like the e46 M3 - that's for sure. Feels twice as fast too.

But what do I know. This car is spectacular nonetheless.
Appreciate 1
///AVM2528.00
      10-25-2020, 07:08 PM   #1999
Fugly M3
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3CX

Quote:

Car feels a little floaty during high speeds. Could be the wheelbase. Or perhaps the electric steering that I'm not fully used to yet. When I would point the e46 M3, it would go there. It's almost like the steering on the M2C is trying to catch up with my inputs. Again, maybe I'm just not fully used to how this car drives. It's nothing like the e46 M3 - that's for sure. Feels twice as fast too.

What you're describing sounds like the dead center of the electronic steering. It's super annoying for serious driving/getting used to. However, on the crap highways we have in the US, I actually don't mind it for just cruising. My old BMWs made me constantly obsess about the car being out of alignment...never really was...they just followed tiny changes in the road so precisely.
Appreciate 1
j23654.50
      10-25-2020, 07:39 PM   #2000
boss2k
Colonel
Rep

Quote:

I have gone upto 85 at times , never felt anything you mention . Whats your tire pressure? Car feels actually solid and i like the steering feel, am in sports all the time.
      10-25-2020, 07:41 PM   #2001
///AVM
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by F82PRETEND View Post
...My old BMWs made me constantly obsess about the car being out of alignment...never really was...they just followed tiny changes in the road so precisely.
F82

I have no old BMWs for comparison, but all of my recently owned vehicles give me this sensation on the highway . . . constantly questioning if the car is out of alignment.

///AVM
Appreciate 1
j23654.50
      10-25-2020, 10:50 PM   #2002
richard in NC
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 Z4 35i

I can't say I've driven the M2C at excessive highway speeds but I have seen triple digits on track several times and places. I've not noticed any unstable feeling. The combination of short wheelbase, and low profile tires does make it hyper sensitive to road conditions, more so than older BMWs, in particular 5 series that I've had. I've also heard the EPS may react oddly to quick inputs and does feel different than hydraulic power steering.
Appreciate 2
j23654.50
///AVM2528.00