BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Competition Model > CEL after service

09-29-2021, 09:24 PM   #1
tmick5jr
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

Hey everyone. I took my car in for service a could of days ago and had an oil change, new spark plugs, and brake fluid flush done. After getting my car back I noticed the turbo spool sounded different. My only modification is a VRSF cold air intake. That is all. And also the car just felt different. I couldn't tell if it was for better or worse but it ran fine. No hesitation when full throttle. I also felt like the car was backfiring slightly louder than usual. That night I got a check engine light. Here are the codes that popped up. Any input on what it could be? I will obviously take it back to the dealer but I doubt all of these would be from my intake which has been on for months with no issues. I would assume two regarding mass air are from the intake but they had to remove the two charge pipes on top of the motor to get to the plugs so maybe they weren't put back on properly? And maybe the plugs are causing the rich code? I have no idea. Thanks everyone any input is appreciated. Exhaust code is just from pulling the exhaust fuses to keep the valves open so that's no big deal
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-29-2021, 10:46 PM   #2
Simon P.
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: M2C, Bend tuned via Ecutek

Highly suspect you have a boost leak. Take it back and have them check the charge pipes and chargecooler connections.
Appreciate 1
ROASTM162.50
      09-30-2021, 01:12 AM   #3
tmick5jr
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon P. View Post
Highly suspect you have a boost leak. Take it back and have them check the charge pipes and chargecooler connections.
Possibly, but the rich codes? Spark plug related?
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2021, 12:35 PM   #4
Simon P.
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: M2C, Bend tuned via Ecutek

If air is escaping after the air mass sensor (which it is in case of a boost leak as the air mass sensor is at the begining of the air intake path) the escaping air gets metered. Since the fuel added is based on the metered air, not the metered minus boost leak air, you get more fuel than necessary and a rich condition.
I highly doubt the plugs have anything to do with it. If the car was misfiring and triggering a rich CEL you'd also have a misfire CEL which you don't seem to have.
Since you have a mass air related CEL that's most likely where the fault is.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2021, 04:53 PM   #5
Moflow
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C 6MT

Quote:
If air is escaping after the air mass sensor (which it is in case of a boost leak as the air mass sensor is at the begining of the air intake path) the escaping air gets metered. Since the fuel added is based on the metered air, not the metered minus boost leak air, you get more fuel than necessary and a rich condition.
I highly doubt the plugs have anything to do with it. If the car was misfiring and triggering a rich CEL you'd also have a misfire CEL which you don't seem to have.
When I was a kid, i had a boost leak on my old celica. I just remember HUGE plumes of black smoke when it would boost. It did this right after I got it back from the shop. Found a loose hose clamp on my intercooler (top mount) and had it back to normal after about 20 seconds with a screwdriver.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2021, 12:31 AM   #6
tmick5jr
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moflow View Post
Quote:
When I was a kid, i had a boost leak on my old celica. I just remember HUGE plumes of black smoke when it would boost. It did this right after I got it back from the shop. Found a loose hose clamp on my intercooler (top mount) and had it back to normal after about 20 seconds with a screwdriver.
Mass air flow sensor was bad. Can't believe it threw all of those codes. Dealer replaced under warranty.
Appreciate 1
.Slug444.50