BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 CS Model > M2 CS Price for the US: $83,600 (plus $995 Destination)

12-16-2019, 06:31 PM   #793
Hegge
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M2 CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by GimmeanM View Post
Agreed, BMWBlog's article guesses 350-400 units coming to the US. That means high volume dealers may see 2 or 3 units. Most stores will get 1 or none at all! Any units that aren't already sold are going to get snatched up in dealer trading. I really don't see them sitting on lots. With that low of production coming here the price will have less to do with it.

I'm still in!
There are roughly 340 BMW dealers in the US so not too many of these to be had. I can't see many sitting on lots as most will be dealer orders. Plus $83k is less than the $100k of the M3 and M4 CS. Plus M2 has usually been favored by the car mags over M4. If the reviews are glowing that will help the demand as well.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2019, 06:41 PM   #794
Poochie
Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuller View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.M0NSTER View Post
Actually my game plan would be a bit different to be perfectly honest. I have a 4 year old, so I still need the back seat. But CS is way too much for what you get and M2 Comp sounds like a blender.

So I would spend $60k on a Shelby GT350, and put $15k in CF wheels, CF rotors, and coil overs (and yes, in Ford land all those things can be had for mere $15k) It will drive circles around M2CS. And then I spend extra $5k on 75,000 mile warranty extension and Ford can keep paying for new motors till the car is 6 years old (if needed).

All of this will sound better, be faster, be more thrilling, and STILL be less expensive than M2CS. And this is coming form a current M2 owner.
Can the back seats in a gt350 accommodate a child though? I'm just curious. Do they have anchors for booster seats?
If it has legitimate back seats, it's required to have anchors for a child seats..

At least in US-spec vehicles, unless the manufacture is approved an exemption, which is difficult to obtain.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2019, 06:45 PM   #795
Bimmed Out
There Is No Substitute
Rep
Drives: Several 911's

Quote:
Originally Posted by city1991 View Post
Damn you can get an M4 for that
That's great! Except no one here wants that car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanG View Post
No, it is M4 Competition priced.
Or that one.
Appreciate 1
GimmeanM1448.50
      12-16-2019, 06:53 PM   #796
Fuller
Major
Rep
Drives: F36 435i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poochie View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Actually my game plan would be a bit different to be perfectly honest. I have a 4 year old, so I still need the back seat. But CS is way too much for what you get and M2 Comp sounds like a blender.

So I would spend $60k on a Shelby GT350, and put $15k in CF wheels, CF rotors, and coil overs (and yes, in Ford land all those things can be had for mere $15k) It will drive circles around M2CS. And then I spend extra $5k on 75,000 mile warranty extension and Ford can keep paying for new motors till the car is 6 years old (if needed).

All of this will sound better, be faster, be more thrilling, and STILL be less expensive than M2CS. And this is coming form a current M2 owner.
Can the back seats in a gt350 accommodate a child though? I'm just curious. Do they have anchors for booster seats?
If it has legitimate back seats, it's required to have anchors for a child seats..

At least in US-spec vehicles, unless the manufacture is approved an exemption, which is difficult to obtain.
That's good to know. I just figured the back seats in mustangs were more suitable for holding grocery bags or something. I wasn't sure if people (even children) could actually ride in them with acceptable safety and comfort. They're big enough coupes, judging by the exterior dimensions you'd think they could accommodate passengers. Then when you look in the back seat, it looks very cramped.

The back seat of an m2, by contrast, might be short on leg room, but they still look substantial and fine for children, smaller adults, or average sized adults for short trips.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2019, 06:58 PM   #797
Fuller
Major
Rep
Drives: F36 435i

This family is rocking two child seats in a mustang, including a rear facing infant seat. I suppose a booster would be no problem. Nice to know..
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2019, 07:01 PM   #798
Poochie
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

That's good to know. I just figured the back seats in mustangs were more suitable for holding grocery bags or something. I wasn't sure if people (even children) could actually ride in them with acceptable safety and comfort. They're big enough coupes, judging by the exterior dimensions you'd think they could accommodate passengers. Then when you look in the back seat, it looks very cramped.

The back seat of an m2, by contrast, might be short on leg room, but they still look substantial and fine for children, smaller adults, or average sized adults for short trips.
Yea, some coupes are notoriously difficult to get a baby into. I use to witness a friend muscling his child into the tight back of his Eclipse and I felt his pain and discomfort.

After seeing that, I started pulling out.. 🚫👶🏻

J/k
Appreciate 7
Sedan_Clan24829.00
cptobvious2531.50
Conissah1574.50
dezzracer1173.50
Fuller1216.50
smknjoe234.00
      12-16-2019, 07:11 PM   #799
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Yea, some coupes are notoriously difficult to get a baby into. I use witness a friend muscling his child into the tight back of his Eclipse and I felt his pain and discomfort.

J/k
I have a solid urologist I can refer you to. He hooked me up 12 years ago and I haven't stopped thanking him.

#shootinblanks
#pulloutnomore

Appreciate 5
Poochie9099.00
cptobvious2531.50
Conissah1574.50
dezzracer1173.50
      12-16-2019, 07:18 PM   #800
e92_m3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 e92 m3

Easily a $100K car with dealer markup...

Is it worth it??

Hellaflush? All I could say is "effyo'flush","flushnuff", and Instead of 'illest', I'm calling it "faillest". It's just form over function nowadays...
-END RANT
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2019, 07:29 PM   #801
positiveions
Lieutenant General
Lebanon
Rep
Drives: 19 Tacoma, 16 Golf wagon

Garage List
Realistically speaking, these greedy stealers will sell this car $95k+ and someone will pay that price (a fool and his money). Not worth it if it’s a money car.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2019, 07:31 PM   #802
Poochie
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by e92_m3 View Post
Easily a $100K car with dealer markup...

Is it worth it??
Not for everybody but they'll sell..

When I shopping for the original M2 in early 2016, some with just a few cosmetic mods was marked-up to $65,000 and they still couldn't keep them in the showroom.

I don't see them having a problem moving a mere 500 units of an ultra M2s, even at 85k, considering the cult following it commenders.

Some of you guys are underestimating it's offering based on the sticker price. To some folks, money ain't a thang when it comes to something they truly want..
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2019, 07:33 PM   #803
medphysdave
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 CS | 85 of 592

I'm not planning to pull my deposit, but I'll be paying MSRP. Barring a bunch of heinous reviews I'm in.
Appreciate 2
Conissah1574.50
Acetech218.50
      12-16-2019, 07:44 PM   #804
desertfox73
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2018 F83 / 2018 F85

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jblack4083 View Post
Agreed. Theres no 911 under $100k that most M2 CS-level drivers would want to drive.
If you're talking new, then you're probably right. But once you compare against the lightly used/CPO market, things change dramatically. There are examples of a 991.1 or 991.2 C2S, C4S or GTS that can be had for under $100k without even looking very hard, and those would absolutely compete for "M2 CS-level drivers" attention.

Here's one of many I found online in a 3-minute search that I would consider over a M2CS. Especially knowing that the major depreciation has already hit...
https://www.porschenorthhouston.com/...CB2A99HS155047
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2019, 07:49 PM   #805
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

So now it's official:
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCZ5 View Post
Congrats to the OP, official pricing just confirmed to match:
http://www.bmwusanews.com/newsrelease.do?id=3515
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
My guesstimate was ± $85K as base price for the US (see here).

So it seems that I missed the mark by $1.4K.

And as omasou pointed out $995 destination & handling, actually $405 off mark.

US base price perspective (MSRP):
  • ± $53K (original M2 2016 US list price) + ± 57.74% = $83.6K (± $30.6K extra);
  • ± $59K (M2 Competition 2019 US list price) + ± 41.70% = $83.6K (± $24.6K extra);
  • ± $69K (M4 2019 US list price) + ± 21.16% = $83.6K (± $14.6K extra);
  • ± $74K (M4 Competition 2019 US list price) + ± 12.98% = $83.6K (± $9.6K extra).
See also the following reported by BMWBlog about units (see here):
"Initially it was rumored that 500 units will be developed for the US market, but we recently learned that the number will be lower than that. No official confirmation on the exact units figure but a ballpark mentioned between 350 and 400 units. There are around 2,200 units produced globally."
      12-16-2019, 07:55 PM   #806
PARTS@STBMW
Rep
Drives: BMW

Woah!
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2019, 07:59 PM   #807
Poochie
United_States
Rep

That sucks, less than 500 makes it more scarce than the 1M, which was only allotted 740
US bound.

However, it certainly wasn't the bargain the 1M was; even with today's money, factoring in inflation, the 1M would supposedly be priced at roughly $55,000 MSRP.

So the M2 CS is 30k north of that.. #Baller

https://westegg.com/inflation/infl.cgi
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-16-2019, 08:04 PM   #808
medphysdave
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

If you're going to spend the money on a pcar, then at least get a fun color. It's interesting that the $25k price per performance difference doesn't apply when going to a 911. Is the performance gain of 911 worth another 20k ov the CS? Just mod your M2cs or wait to buy a used Cs after the massive depreciation.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2019, 08:05 PM   #809
cptobvious
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2C HS DCT

Quote:
Yea, some coupes are notoriously difficult to get a baby into. I use to witness a friend muscling his child into the tight back of his Eclipse and I felt his pain and discomfort.

J/k

OMG, I was eating cheesecake and actually spit some out laughing. Jesus!

You know, I honestly have been quite mystified at how angry some folks seem about the pricing of the M2CS, about the fact that it doesn't come with a carbon monocoque (seriously, somebody suggested that BMW should provide that), that it doesn't come with a free lifetime supply of Ovaltine, or whatever other random gripe. But, I suppose that really is a testament to how passionately people feel about BMW cars. I mean, you only fly into a rage over things you're truly passionate about, right?

But, I will say, judging by all the griping, the M2 really has done a phenomenal job of straddling the line of performance, practicality, and price - if nothing else, the fact that you have this compromised 4-seat sports SEDAN, with large trunk and plenty of legroom, and everyone on this forum is saying, "Yeah, well, instead of buying the M2CS, I could just buy a lightly used 911 instead," or "Hell, if it costs that much, I'll just go buy a Cayman GTS instead." Damn! If people are cross-shopping the car with the world's foremost dedicated sports car brand, BMW is doing something right.

I mean, the reality is that BMW accidentally fell ass-backward into success with the 2002, back in 1969, right? From what I understand 2 BMW engineers stuck a 2 liter engine into their 1.6L 1600's for their own personal use, and discovered how awesomely fun the car was to drive, and shared their insights with the board, and that's how the 2002 was born. And suddenly BMW was the car that every responsible family man could buy to do all the grown up, responsible things you're supposed to do as an adult, while also having a fun sporty experience. Which is why I don't get why there are so many complaints about the M2's Nurburgring lap time, or complaints about its handling versus the 911 or the GT4, or complaints about the fact that it won't walk your dog for you. I mean, it's a sports SEDAN, right? It's always going to be compromised. It's not a dedicated sports car. It's supposed to be this thing that allows you go to Home Depot, fill up your trunk with 14 bags of mulch, and then go hoon around in the canyons after you've done the obligatory weekend weed-whacking on behalf of your wife, right? I thought BMW's value proposition was that BMW provided a practical car that was also fun to drive.

I would argue, if you want a real sports car, go get a real sports car, right? If you're the type of dude who doesn't need back seats, doesn't need a trunk, you're not required to do the weed-whacking on weekends, and you don't have to pick up your kids from school, go get yourself a McLaren! (And, let's trade lives, man!). But, why expect the M2 to compete with the GT4? They're totally different value propositions. I mean, that would be like me going onto Rennlist and start flame wars on the forum by pointing out how much the GT4 sucks and how terrible a value it is, because it only has 2 seats and how could anybody be such an idiot to pay $100k for a car that has no practicality and can't provide legroom and trunk space like a real sedan!
Appreciate 7
      12-16-2019, 08:14 PM   #810
medphysdave
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cptobvious View Post

You know, I honestly have been quite mystified at how angry some folks seem about the pricing of the M2CS, about the fact that it doesn't come with a carbon monocoque (seriously, somebody suggested that BMW should provide that), that it doesn't come with a free lifetime supply of Ovaltine, or whatever other random gripe. But, I suppose that really is a testament to how passionately people feel about BMW cars. I mean, you only fly into a rage over things you're truly passionate about, right?

But, I will say, judging by all the griping, the M2 really has done a phenomenal job of straddling the line of performance, practicality, and price - if nothing else, the fact that you have this compromised 4-seat sports SEDAN, with large trunk and plenty of legroom, and everyone on this forum is saying, "Yeah, well, instead of buying the M2CS, I could just buy a lightly used 911 instead," or "Hell, if it costs that much, I'll just go buy a Cayman GTS instead." Damn! If people are cross-shopping the car with the world's foremost dedicated sports car brand, BMW is doing something right.

I mean, the reality is that BMW accidentally fell ass-backward into success with the 2002, back in 1969, right? From what I understand 2 BMW engineers stuck a 2 liter engine into their 1.6L 1600's for their own personal use, and discovered how awesomely fun the car was to drive, and shared their insights with the board, and that's how the 2002 was born. And suddenly BMW was the car that every responsible family man could buy to do all the grown up, responsible things you're supposed to do as an adult, while also having a fun sporty experience. Which is why I don't get why there are so many complaints about the M2's Nurburgring lap time, or complaints about its handling versus the 911 or the GT4, or complaints about the fact that it won't walk your dog for you. I mean, it's a sports SEDAN, right? It's always going to be compromised. It's not a dedicated sports car. It's supposed to be this thing that allows you go to Home Depot, fill up your trunk with 14 bags of mulch, and then go hoon around in the canyons after you've done the obligatory weekend weed-whacking on behalf of your wife, right? I thought BMW's value proposition was that BMW provided a practical car that was also fun to drive.

I would argue, if you want a real sports car, go get a real sports car, right? If you're the type of dude who doesn't need back seats, doesn't need a trunk, you're not required to do the weed-whacking on weekends, and you don't have to pick up your kids from school, go get yourself a McLaren! (And, let's trade lives, man!). But, why expect the M2 to compete with the GT4? They're totally different value propositions. I mean, that would be like me going onto Rennlist and start flame wars on the forum by pointing out how much the GT4 sucks and how terrible a value it is, because it only has 2 seats and how could anybody be such an idiot to pay $100k for a car that has no practicality and can't provide legroom and trunk space like a real sedan!
I like what you did there
Appreciate 1
Supadice1017.50
      12-16-2019, 08:38 PM   #811
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Quote:
But, I suppose that really is a testament to how passionately people feel about BMW cars. I mean, you only fly into a rage over things you're truly passionate about, right?
[...]
I mean, the reality is that BMW accidentally fell ass-backward into success with the 2002, back in 1969, right? From what I understand 2 BMW engineers stuck a 2 liter engine into their 1.6L 1600's for their own personal use, and discovered how awesomely fun the car was to drive, and shared their insights with the board, and that's how the 2002 was born. And suddenly BMW was the car that every responsible family man could buy to do all the grown up, responsible things you're supposed to do as an adult, while also having a fun sporty experience.
Name:  BMW_Fanatics.jpg
Views: 723
Size:  119.8 KB
      12-16-2019, 08:59 PM   #812
Poochie
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

J/k

You know, I honestly have been quite mystified at how angry some folks seem about the pricing of the M2CS
He he.. Sorry..

I believe all this animosity towards the CS stems from it hefty price now becoming a reality. It's simply out of reach for a lot of people, including myself and that translates into anger for them.

Folks assume that BMW owns them something for being a consumer but in Free Market, they only own it to their shareholders and heirs, to make a profit.

If they want to put together a "parts-bin" vehicle and price it above the norms, it's within their rights. And it's up to the consumer to vote with their wallet.

As they say, It's nothing personal..

The whole Porsche comparison also is asinine but I entertain it because an M car is above a standard BMW and a Porsche is like graduating to the next level, in terms of performance.

However, they're an apple to oranges in terms of price and practicality, If that's reason you originally gravitated towards a 2-series, 4 seater platform.

For me personally, it was more the price and size, as I don't need the back seats, so a transition a a 2 seater won't be that detrimental. Some potential consumers doesn't have that luxury, so the M2 makes their situation work.

I can't bring myself to spend 85k for a CS but I still appreciate that it exist and look forward to the reviews. I feel at this juncture, I'm going to hold out and see what they toss in with final model year of the M2C and then upgrade.

Hopefully, I could possible snag one with Adaptive Suspension and a sunroof for 60k OTD when the model sunsets. That's would be divine and would leave me with no regrets.
Appreciate 1
///AVM2528.00
      12-16-2019, 09:04 PM   #813
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

After seeing that, I started pulling out..

J/k

You know, I honestly have been quite mystified at how angry some folks seem about the pricing of the M2CS
He he.. Sorry..

I believe all this animosity towards the CS stems from it hefty price now becoming a reality. It's simply out of reach for a lot of people, including myself and that translates into anger for them.

Folks assume that BMW owns them something for being a consumer but in Free Market, they only own it to their shareholders and heirs, to make a profit.

If they want to put together a "parts-bin" vehicle and price it above the norms, it's within their rights. And it's up to the consumer to vote with their wallet.

As they say, It's nothing personal..

The whole Porsche comparison also is asinine but I entertain it because an M car is above a standard BMW and a Porsche is like graduating to the next level, in terms of performance.

However, they're an apple to oranges in terms of price and practicality, If that's reason you originally gravitated towards a 2-series, 4 seater platform. For me it was more the price and size, I personally don't need the back seats, so a transition a a 2 seater won't be that detrimental. Some potential consumers doesn't have that luxury.

I can't bring myself to spend 85k for a CS but I still appreciate that it exist and look forward to the reviews. I feel at this juncture, I'm going to hold out and see what they toss in with final model year of the M2C to upgrade.

Hopefully, I could possible snag one with Adaptive Suspension and a sunroof for 60k OTD when the model sunsets. That's would be divine and would leave me with no regrets.
You say it's animosity because the price is out of reach. Then you say it's consumers voting with their wallet which is it?

Voting with your wallet implies it could be purchased.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2019, 09:10 PM   #814
///M2NYC15
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 LBB LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2audioman View Post
Let's be real...even a 718 S is a better car than this M2 CS. The M2 CS is just a M Perf parts bin special. Nothing unique about it at all. The 718 is a track scalpel. One of the best cars on the planet to drive.

Let's not even begin the used car discussion....You can get a 2017 991.2 S certified with low mileage for around $85K-$90K as well. Again, this M2 CS is simply not worth the price no matter how you slice it.
What are you talking about? In the hockenheim track it beat out the 718 GTS which correct me if I’m wrong, it’s a level above the S? The 718GT4 beat the CS by .8 seconds so not sure where you are getting these sources from?
Appreciate 0