BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion > Can someone clarify the new BMW CPO warranty terms?

10-31-2018, 04:37 PM   #45
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 / AH3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWM5NYC View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by IK6SPEED View Post
Reading is fundamental. Unfortunately BMW has contradicting info on their website.

The CURRENT CPO (changed last year) actually extend the EW out to 60 months (5 Years).

The CPO can run over 12 months IF THE CAR IS CERTIFIED (Inspected) prior to the expiration of the 4 Year/50,000 mike Warranty. See the above for sliding under the wire.

I say currently as there is thought that this was not what BMW intended, but just as people look for loopholes once tax law is passed, this appears to be a loophole found in the new CPO policy.

As you stated, The original warranty can expire early if 50,000 miles are reached prior to the 48th month. However, the CPO will kick in then through the 60th month (if car was CPO'd prior to 50,000 miles), However, unlike you stated (as I did originally)the CPO currently can last several years, depending on when the car hits 50,000 miles.

Actually, the CPO could last longer than 60 months after in service date if car is sold as CPO after 4 Year/50,000 mile Warranty has expired. The CPO will kick in for an additional 12 months.

The CPO is a far different thing from the Original Warranty, as you noted.

As most know the CPO requires a deductible PER INCIDENT, not per service. So don't think I'll just save them up and do them at the same time to save money.

And it is far more limited in nature than the Original Warranty (cosmetics and any maintenance items are not covered).

You can SMH all you want, but BMW has contradictory info currently on their website and getting the correct answer with all the correct details isn't easy sailing.....as I witnessed first hand. There are gotchas all along the way.
I totally understand what you are saying. I just think when people read things they get caught up with the "advertising language" that BMW added to make the CPO look more enticing.. People see the "4Years" But they miss the "50,000 miles" part.

BMW Certified Pre-Owned

WARRANTY

Every exceptional Certified Pre-Owned BMW comes with a protection plan designed to give you the ultimate peace of mind.

BMW Certified Pre-Owned: Covers you for 1 year with unlimited vehicle miles, after the expiration of the 4-year / 50,000 mile New Vehicle Limited Warranty for Passenger Cars and Light Trucks (Valid only in the U.S.A. including Puerto Rico) for a total of 5 years / Unlimited vehicle miles. 5 years of BMW Roadside Assistance is included. Additional plans are available to extend your vehicle's coverage up to a total of 6 years with unlimited miles.

I pasted the statement from the BMW website. The line that confuses people is "for a total of 5 years" The bottom line is once the 4 yr New is over, you get 1 year of CPO coverage.
But, as noted in example above, once the 50,000 miles is up, you can get the remaining 60 months covered by CPO, regardless of if that's 12 months or 30 months, as long a car was CPO Inspected for CPO eligibility prior to 50,000 mile mark.

And CPO sucks compared to original 4 Year/50,000 mile warranty.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2018, 11:15 AM   #46
Cavpilot2k
Chief Warrant Officer
Rep
Drives: like a damn lunatic

The real bottom line here is that the new CPO warranty and extended maintenance plans are a sad shell of the former ones.
BMW is really backing away from wanting to support their vehicles long term, which, unfortunately, means as a consumer, I may be backing away from wanting to support them as my manufacturer of choice, long term.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2018, 05:01 PM   #47
Robotechnology
RDF
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80/JCW Clubman/Z4MC/STI

IK6SPEED I don’t appreciate the negative connotation of your believing a dealer remark. I don’t post here to sell anything. I love M cars and because of that I read and participate on bimmerpost. Since you obviously like spending time trying to prove you are right, look up this VIN:

NU00191

You’ll find that it’s a 2016 3-Series enrolled into the CPO program on 10/08/18 with 50,746 miles and... low and behold... CPO expiration is 8/1/21 or 999,999 miles (whichever comes first) which just so happens to be 5 years from in service date. It is not, 10/8/19 which is 1 year from when BMW NA knew the new vehicle warranty ended.

You can also check:

NS16463. New vehicle warranty is expired and yet CPO (which was enrolled after 50k miles) expires 6/2/20. Why? 5 years from in service date.

I won’t invest more time on this except to say, there are another 100 or so VIN’s for vehicles across the country you can find that were enrolled in CPO after their new vehicle warranty expired by mileage (Expired by time is a different set of rules). ONE HUNDRED PERCENT of those that have CPO warranties placed after 50k mile mark (and are not expired by time), expire 5 years from the date the vehicle was originally placed in service.

And EXCUSE ME for the model name typo. I am more well versed than most managers with respect to product information because I LOVE cars and not because I work in the auto industry. I don’t pretend to know everything but, I know a lot (and for the record, yes I did learn there was only one chassis size for the US market 7 back in 2015).
Appreciate 2
DanG10447.00
pz6193275.50
      11-01-2018, 05:24 PM   #48
brettbmw
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 320i 2013 328i

Sounds like FORD MOPAR GM...Thats why people purchased BMW BENZ VOLVO....for a top notch warrentee....But they have all little by little turned. Prices go up , but cars become cheaper and cheaper....
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2018, 07:05 PM   #49
markusvt
Private
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i

Garage List
2015 BMW/M3  [0.00]
2009 335i  [0.00]
You are backing what is clearly stated on the website, should be easy for most folks .

for a total of 5 years / Unlimited vehicle miles.

Unlimited, means, um, unlimited..........
Appreciate 1
Swappy531.50
      11-02-2018, 12:47 AM   #50
upsidedownfunnel
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i

Garage List
2014 BMW 335i  [0.00]
The wording is a bit confusing, that is for sure.

What BMW means is that CPO coverage ends at 5 years unlimited miles. HOWEVER, if the car hits 50,000 miles after 3 years, it's no longer covered under the new car warranty, but IS covered by the CPO warranty.

So a high mileage new-ish car could technically be under new car warranty for 2 years and CPO coverage for 3 years. What BMW means is that CPO coverage kicks in after the new car warranty expires, but no matter what you're covered by CPO at least for 5 years.

It's very confusing but the fact that BMW wrote 5 YEARS without an "up to" indicate that you are indeed covered by CPO for 5 years.

I would personally never trust something a car salesman said. Not because I think they're lying, but because they're salesmen. Not necessarily intelligent people (not saying they can't be smart) and not necessarily completely knowledgeable about the cars they sell.
Appreciate 3
BMWM5NYC496.00
Swappy531.50
      11-02-2018, 01:13 PM   #51
markusvt
Private
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i

Garage List
2015 BMW/M3  [0.00]
2009 335i  [0.00]
Well put!

What BMW means is that CPO coverage ends at 5 years unlimited miles. HOWEVER, if the car hits 50,000 miles after 3 years, it's no longer covered under the new car warranty, but IS covered by the CPO warranty.

or
  • CPO warranty starts at 4 years or 50K miles, (whichever comes first).
  • CPO warranty ends at 5 years unlimited miles

Last edited by markusvt; 11-04-2018 at 06:30 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2020, 12:03 AM   #52
bummedic
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 M550i and '18 430xi GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robotechnology View Post
IK6SPEED I don’t appreciate the negative connotation of your believing a dealer remark. I don’t post here to sell anything. I love M cars and because of that I read and participate on bimmerpost. Since you obviously like spending time trying to prove you are right, look up this VIN:

NU00191

You’ll find that it’s a 2016 3-Series enrolled into the CPO program on 10/08/18 with 50,746 miles and... low and behold... CPO expiration is 8/1/21 or 999,999 miles (whichever comes first) which just so happens to be 5 years from in service date. It is not, 10/8/19 which is 1 year from when BMW NA knew the new vehicle warranty ended.

You can also check:

NS16463. New vehicle warranty is expired and yet CPO (which was enrolled after 50k miles) expires 6/2/20. Why? 5 years from in service date.

I won’t invest more time on this except to say, there are another 100 or so VIN’s for vehicles across the country you can find that were enrolled in CPO after their new vehicle warranty expired by mileage (Expired by time is a different set of rules). ONE HUNDRED PERCENT of those that have CPO warranties placed after 50k mile mark (and are not expired by time), expire 5 years from the date the vehicle was originally placed in service.

And EXCUSE ME for the model name typo. I am more well versed than most managers with respect to product information because I LOVE cars and not because I work in the auto industry. I don’t pretend to know everything but, I know a lot (and for the record, yes I did learn there was only one chassis size for the US market 7 back in 2015).
New forum member here in GA...

I hate to revive an old thread, but it there any way that someone here can lookup and/or provide a warranty info sheet for my vehicle? I am a high mileage driver (23-24K miles/year) and purchased my current CPO 2018 430i xDrive gran coupe in the summer of 2018 with less than 9K miles on it, and have now just surpassed 55K miles. Going by what's said above, I should be covered until 2023 (5 years from in-service date) and unlimited miles. Of course, as someone said on page 2, this little topic is causing a bit of anxiety, as I thought this would be the case then starting reading the terms to mean one year from factory warranty end yada yada... and crap, I'm panicking that I'll be out of CPO next summer. It would be nice to have a little verification, if possible. Thanks again in advance. Love the car, and want it to be covered (even if it's a shell compared to the original warranty).
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2020, 07:35 AM   #53
BMWCCA1
BMW Owner Since 1971
Rep
Drives: 1964 700 Sport Cabriolet

Garage List
2013 BMW 128i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bummedic View Post
I thought this would be the case then starting reading the terms to mean one year from factory warranty end yada yada... and crap, I'm panicking that I'll be out of CPO next summer. It would be nice to have a little verification, if possible. Thanks again in advance. Love the car, and want it to be covered (even if it's a shell compared to the original warranty).
One year by TIME from when the original warranty expires BY TIME is the same a 5-years from In-Service date. CPO doesn't care about mileage.

I'm sure you're selling dealership would be happy to provide a Service History printout for you. All they need is a VIN, or a key-read.
Appreciate 0