BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > N55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > THE ULTIMATE Intercooler Thread - What to Look For Before Buying an FMIC

10-01-2019, 03:11 PM   #331
Louayea
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Bmw 335is Dct

Quote:
Originally Posted by cecaa850 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Louayea View Post
Was trying to install the arm Fmic in my n54 but I just can't get the piping to plug in.Intercooler fits in place but the piping just won't connect to the intercooler
Any issues with the factory cooler?

If you have aftermarket piping sometimes you can loosen the rubber couplings, plug the intercooler pipes in, then tighten the rubber collars back up.
No no problems it's just a tight fit can't get it in
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2019, 03:39 PM   #332
shazzy
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 BSM F87 LCI | 6MT

i went with the ER (evolution racewerks) IC =)
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2019, 03:46 PM   #333
Louayea
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shazzy View Post
When you were connecting the piping did it just slip on?
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2019, 03:59 PM   #334
cecaa850
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Quote:
Is the intercooler pipe too high or is the angle wrong?

Are the pipes stock or aftermarket?
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2019, 04:45 PM   #335
Louayea
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Is the intercooler pipe too high or is the angle wrong?

Are the pipes stock or aftermarket?
Stock pipes and I'm pretty sure they can fit it's just hard to connect them in with ur hands
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2019, 07:14 PM   #336
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Quote:
Originally Posted by shazzy View Post
Congrats

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2019, 07:59 AM   #337
D CHOI
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M2

Planning to install the VSRF 5" intercooler and charge pipe today for my stock M2 with only fabspeed downpipe mod. Plan to do bm3 stage 1 eventually.

Weather is getting cooler here in Vegas but I'm curious to see if I can feel much of a difference.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2019, 09:39 AM   #338
mike@x-ph.com
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by D CHOI View Post
Planning to install the VSRF 5" intercooler and charge pipe today for my stock M2 with only fabspeed downpipe mod. Plan to do bm3 stage 1 eventually.

Weather is getting cooler here in Vegas but I'm curious to see if I can feel much of a difference.
You will feel a difference either way, good luck

Appreciate 0
      10-08-2019, 04:02 PM   #339
D CHOI
Captain
Rep

Wow I can definitely feel the power difference and improved throttle response with the charge pipe.

Mid and top range pulling harder and 3rd and 4th gear never pulled that hard before. Highway driving is actually fun now lol. It almost feels like the power doesn't taper off as much due to better cooling which makes sense as there will be more hot air at higher rpms. Overall I'm impressed
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2019, 04:56 PM   #340
mike@x-ph.com
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Wow I can definitely feel the power difference and improved throttle response with the charge pipe.

Mid and top range pulling harder and 3rd and 4th gear never pulled that hard before. Highway driving is actually fun now lol. It almost feels like the power doesn't taper off as much due to better cooling which makes sense as there will be more hot air at higher rpms. Overall I'm impressed

Appreciate 0
      10-09-2019, 04:24 AM   #341
D CHOI
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiago@VRSF View Post
We offer a 5" Performance FMIC, a 6.5" Competition FMIC along with the best performing 6.5" Race FMIC which can support anywhere from 800 to 1000 WHP.

The VRSF 5" Stepped HD will outperform the Wagner Comp 1 and is generally recommended for customers interested in sticking with the OEM turbo. If you're looking to upgrade your turbo in the future, our 6.5" Competition will outperform any of the comparably sized options at a fraction of the price.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike@x-ph.com View Post
We now carry the new VRSF 5" Competition intercooler ... Its meant for a performance level in between the standard 5" and the 6" Race

I'm aware the new VRSF 5" intercooler I have is in between their old 5" and 6.5" . VRSF commented saying there are 3 offered but I only see 2.
https://www.vr-speed.com/vrsf-interc...i-n20-n55.html

I don't plan to upgrade turbo, but do plan to run bm3 stage1 but would I still be sufficient enough to run stage2 even tho it's not a 6"+ intercooler? I was concerned with turbo lag with bigger intercooler and didn't really want to push for stage 2 but having the option to qualify with my VRSF 5" Stepped HD would be advantageous. (I don't track car but do pretty aggressive street and highway driving in vegas)

Also all this concern about turbo lag can be negated with a simple tune instead of upgrading turbo inlets?
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2019, 10:08 AM   #342
mike@x-ph.com
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I'm aware the new VRSF 5" intercooler I have is in between their old 5" and 6.5" . VRSF commented saying there are 3 offered but I only see 2.

I don't plan to upgrade turbo, but do plan to run bm3 stage1 but would I still be sufficient enough to run stage2 even tho it's not a 6"+ intercooler? I was concerned with turbo lag with bigger intercooler and didn't really want to push for stage 2 but having the option to qualify with my VRSF 5" Stepped HD would be advantageous. (I don't track car but do pretty aggressive street and highway driving in vegas)

Also all this concern about turbo lag can be negated with a simple tune instead of upgrading turbo inlets?
here are the 3 options:
1- VRSF 5" intercooler
2- VRSF 6.5" Competition
3- VRSF 6.5" Race

For Vegas weather, i recommend the 6.5" competition with your setup.
If you are having trouble finding it on our website, please let me know and i will send you a link

Appreciate 0
      10-09-2019, 01:15 PM   #343
cecaa850
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:

I tried to answer your PM but your mailbox is full and won't accept any more messages till you clear some room.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2019, 04:31 PM   #344
D CHOI
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

here are the 3 options:
1- VRSF 5" intercooler
2- VRSF 6.5" Competition
3- VRSF 6.5" Race

For Vegas weather, i recommend the 6.5" competition with your setup.
If you are having trouble finding it on our website, please let me know and i will send you a link
I think I'm gonna just run stage 1 since I only got the 5" intercooler and maybe try stage 2 during winter only.

One thing I noticed is there might be a slight slight turbo lag. I noticed the early rpm (over boost when WOT) instant pull isn't as instant and saves it for the mid range and upper pull to be longer is where I feel the difference from stock. Will need to experiment more as I only had it for a day but I'm thinking bm3 stage 1 should make a improvement on this.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2019, 01:52 AM   #345
widetyres
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M3 E92 DCT, 2012

Couple of queries re the wagner evo 2 competition ic - I've read that it might need some cutting to fit - is this always the case? And which parts need to be cut?

Also, after this cutting, can the stock ic be refitted if required?

Cheers.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2019, 10:12 AM   #346
mike@x-ph.com
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by widetyres View Post
Couple of queries re the wagner evo 2 competition ic - I've read that it might need some cutting to fit - is this always the case? And which parts need to be cut?

Cheers.
No cutting needed.
Stock can be refitted at any time

Appreciate 1
widetyres279.00
      10-15-2019, 01:24 PM   #347
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

Quote:

Cheers.
No cutting required, but I heard it was a tight fit.
Appreciate 1
widetyres279.00
      10-15-2019, 02:17 PM   #348
widetyres
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M3 E92 DCT, 2012

Quote:
Quote:

Cheers.
No cutting needed.
Stock can be refitted at any time
Quote:
Originally Posted by akkando View Post
Quote:

Cheers.
Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2019, 10:08 PM   #349
Duke Silver
Private
Rep
Drives: '17 MG M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by akkando View Post
I had my Wagner EvoII competition installed by a workshop and when I got home from picking it up I noticed there was some paint missing on the front of the intercooler where the diagonal braces are located. I thought it may have been rubbing, but when I spoke to the guys at the shop and they mentioned it was a really tight fit when installing it from underneath the car.
Appreciate 1
widetyres279.00
      11-06-2019, 02:24 PM   #350
eddiemundster
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

Looking to go FBO on my 2007 335i e90 AT. currently running vrsf catless dp's and a stage 2 MRD tune. Was looking at picking up a vrsf 7.5" race IC as well as their charge pipe and tial BOV. My local shop (tyspeed) is trying to steer me in the direction of CSF but i'm weary of their recommendation because i see from their instagram that they have recently acquired a sponsorship with them. My two main questions are, is the 7.5" race overkill? I am looking to do upgraded turbos down the road in another year or so. Should i be looking at the 7.5" competition instead or a smaller FMIC all together? Second question is i asked the guys at my local shops about doing inlets and/or outlets and they said i should be doing them along with my turbo upgrade in the future. I figured less trips and less tear downs would get me the best price. Please advise!!!
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2019, 02:44 PM   #351
cecaa850
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiemundster View Post
Looking to go FBO on my 2007 335i e90 AT. currently running vrsf catless dp's and a stage 2 MRD tune. Was looking at picking up a vrsf 7.5" race IC as well as their charge pipe and tial BOV. My local shop (tyspeed) is trying to steer me in the direction of CSF but i'm weary of their recommendation because i see from their instagram that they have recently acquired a sponsorship with them. My two main questions are, is the 7.5" race overkill? I am looking to do upgraded turbos down the road in another year or so. Should i be looking at the 7.5" competition instead or a smaller FMIC all together? Second question is i asked the guys at my local shops about doing inlets and/or outlets and they said i should be doing them along with my turbo upgrade in the future. I figured less trips and less tear downs would get me the best price. Please advise!!!

CSF has phone support if you ever need it and they make quality products. VRSF has e-mail support only and you're at their mercy if you have a question or problem. CSF has rounded tubes for better air flow and VSRF's are traditionally flat. the 7.5" VSRF will require modification or removal of the front cross brace. No matter who you buy from contact the manufacturer and be sure that they're a factory authorized seller in case you ever have issues.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2019, 03:20 PM   #352
eddiemundster
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

Quote:
CSF has phone support if you ever need it and they make quality products. VRSF has e-mail support only and you're at their mercy if you have a question or problem. CSF has rounded tubes for better air flow and VSRF's are traditionally flat. the 7.5" VSRF will require modification or removal of the front cross brace. No matter who you buy from contact the manufacturer and be sure that they're a factory authorized seller in case you ever have issues.
I will likely have my shop make the purchase for me. I’m not too worried about what needs to be cut off to make it fit just more so if the 7.5” race is overkill or if the 7.5” comp would better suit me. Still curious on the other points about inlets and outlets as well! Thanks!

Last edited by eddiemundster; 11-06-2019 at 03:27 PM..
Appreciate 0