BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > N55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > THE ULTIMATE Intercooler Thread - What to Look For Before Buying an FMIC

08-16-2019, 03:51 PM   #309
MagnusT
Captain
Sweden
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

I picked up a do88 charge pipe yesterday :-) But neither the downpipe or charge pipe is mounted yet. I'll do one more trackday with just the upgraded cooling and then I've scheduled to get the two pipes mounted plus a stage 2 bootmod3 tune. Since I do a lot of trackdays I've refrained from tuning the car without sorting the cooling first. Looking forward to see how the car is with the stage 2 tune in a week or so :-)
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2019, 04:58 AM   #310
widetyres
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M3 E92 DCT, 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnusT View Post
I picked up a do88 charge pipe yesterday :-) But neither the downpipe or charge pipe is mounted yet. I'll do one more trackday with just the upgraded cooling and then I've scheduled to get the two pipes mounted plus a stage 2 bootmod3 tune. Since I do a lot of trackdays I've refrained from tuning the car without sorting the cooling first. Looking forward to see how the car is with the stage 2 tune in a week or so :-)
Great. You will prob be fine, but if you do struggle with fitment, sand/wire wool off some paint inside the throttle body end, particularly if/where there is overspray where the seal goes - I didn't have enough time to do this myself as I was up against the clock, so just fitted another brand.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2019, 01:48 PM   #311
D CHOI
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M2

I'm planning to purchase the VSRF 5'' intercooler and their charge pipe. As for the charge pipe do I need to purchase the C-clip and O-ring too?
Appreciate 1
JTO245246.50
      08-20-2019, 03:40 PM   #312
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Quote:
Originally Posted by D CHOI View Post
I'm planning to purchase the VSRF 5'' intercooler and their charge pipe. As for the charge pipe do I need to purchase the C-clip and O-ring too?
Re-use the stock ones

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2019, 05:11 PM   #313
MagnusT
Captain
Sweden
Rep

Was at Mantorp Park again yesterday, here are the results
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
widetyres279.00
      08-21-2019, 10:57 AM   #314
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

Quote:
Let me know how it goes with the VRSF 5" hd

people seemed to not like the original design.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2019, 12:32 PM   #315
eeyang92
Captain
Rep
Drives: LBB M2 LCI 6MT

Quote:
This may sound nooby... but do you mind telling me which colored line(s) I should be looking at?
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2019, 12:45 PM   #316
MagnusT
Captain
Sweden
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by eeyang92 View Post
This may sound nooby... but do you mind telling me which colored line(s) I should be looking at?

Ah!

From the top:

- oil
- water
- intake
- ambient
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2019, 12:56 PM   #317
eeyang92
Captain
Rep
Drives: LBB M2 LCI 6MT

Quote:
Ah!

From the top:

- oil
- water
- intake
- ambient
Nice! Decent drop in intake temps
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2019, 10:42 PM   #318
D CHOI
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by akkando View Post
Quote:
Let me know how it goes with the VRSF 5" hd

people seemed to not like the original design.

What was wrong with original design? It's currently out of stock till the 30th. Is there an updated version? I don't see it on the site.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2019, 08:47 AM   #319
Bee Pee
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: AW M2 DCT

Quote:
Holy-moly - upgraded IC is doing its job v well esp compared to stock IC on the same circuit/similar ambient.
      08-23-2019, 08:53 AM   #320
Bee Pee
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: AW M2 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by widetyres View Post
Quote:
No charge pipe or other changes to the car at all.

I haven't felt any differences in response or anything. That doesn't mean there could be some differences but I haven't been able to feel any so if there is it must be very small.
Cheers.

I definitely recommend doing the charge pipe - it'll give you insurance against a blow out/cracked pipe and also improve the air flow. I wasn't expecting anything, but noticed improved throttle response from the charge pipe alone.

I did try do88 charge pipe, but theyve had a batch of charge pipes released with too much paint on the throttle body end internal surface - I could not get it to go on at all - now with another brand (forge),although I wish the do88 had fitted as I could see it was going to be slightly better for max air flow.
Charge pipe might help if it's bigger ID and smoother bore - both features of ER boost pipes hence why I opted for ER.

Pure hi Flo inlet pipe definitely helps offset any lagginess from large IC.

I was dubious about GFB DV+ initially and at <75% throttle and under say 4500rpm it's negligible. At WOT and in top third of rev range - response is better than stock (diaphragm may flutter) at higher boost and higher rpms which might prompt DME to react.
      08-23-2019, 09:01 AM   #321
MagnusT
Captain
Sweden
Rep

Quote:
Great. You will prob be fine, but if you do struggle with fitment, sand/wire wool off some paint inside the throttle body end, particularly if/where there is overspray where the seal goes - I didn't have enough time to do this myself as I was up against the clock, so just fitted another brand.
Changing the downpipe was straight forward and easy to get to.

But seeing where the charge pipe is located, it looked like way more job to change. Any good hints, do's and don'ts?? I have the kit with the main hard tube and only one soft tube, not the kit with two soft tubes.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2019, 01:14 AM   #322
MagnusT
Captain
Sweden
Rep

I was impressed by the lower temperatures the do88 intercooler delivered, especially over many laps. But the oil/water temps were oddly high. Turns out the coolant system hadn't been bled for air.

After bleeding the coolant system the oil/water temps improved. This is a log from yesterday during a timeattack competition. All previous runs have been 100% stock apart from the coolers and IC.

On this log though:
- An Akrapovic catted downpipe has been added
- Stage 2 map BM3!!
- Ambient is up slightly

Pushing really hard, oil now peaks at 125. Perfect.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-26-2019, 11:58 AM   #323
widetyres
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Changing the downpipe was straight forward and easy to get to.

But seeing where the charge pipe is located, it looked like way more job to change. Any good hints, do's and don'ts?? I have the kit with the main hard tube and only one soft tube, not the kit with two soft tubes.
If you've done your own downpipe and intercooler, then you'll be fine doing cp for sure.

You will need to drop out the intercooler so that you can get the oem cp out. It's fairly straight forward -just a bit fiddly at times. Take off the metal plate under the engine to give you more options to get your hands in.
Appreciate 1
MagnusT537.50
      09-16-2019, 06:47 AM   #324
thekurt
thekurt
Rep
Drives: M2

Is anyone aware of an install video for the Dinan IC? I got the instruction off the Dinan site but videos seem hard to come by.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2019, 06:36 AM   #325
widetyres
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
I was impressed by the lower temperatures the do88 intercooler delivered, especially over many laps. But the oil/water temps were oddly high. Turns out the coolant system hadn't been bled for air.

After bleeding the coolant system the oil/water temps improved. This is a log from yesterday during a timeattack competition. All previous runs have been 100% stock apart from the coolers and IC.

On this log though:
- An Akrapovic catted downpipe has been added
- Stage 2 map BM3!!
- Ambient is up slightly

Pushing really hard, oil now peaks at 125. Perfect.
Very tempted to get the do88 - my only hesitation is re the weight (~13kg). Do you notice any negative effects from the extra weight at all (where's it's +10kg right on the nose compared to stock)?
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2019, 03:36 PM   #326
MagnusT
Captain
Sweden
Rep

Quote:
Very tempted to get the do88 - my only hesitation is re the weight (~13kg). Do you notice any negative effects from the extra weight at all (where's it's +10kg right on the nose compared to stock)?
I don't. That doesn't mean someone else might

I know have the charge pipe mounted and run a very nice stage 2 tune for 98 octane from a Swedish tuner (Stertman). And linear pedal maps. Happy!!
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2019, 11:45 AM   #327
cecaa850
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

"What to look for before buying an intercooler".

At the top of the list should be to purchase from a manufacturing company that has telephone support. Sometimes you need to talk to a live person and you can resolve an issue in minutes as opposed to days. Also, when you have the manufacturer on the phone, ask them for a list of online approved vendors. Where you purchase can affect your warranty. This applies to intercoolers and any other part you purchase.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2019, 12:26 PM   #328
Louayea
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Bmw 335is Dct

Arm Fmic triuble

Was trying to install the arm Fmic in my n54 but I just can't get the piping to plug in
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2019, 12:27 PM   #329
Louayea
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Bmw 335is Dct

THE ULTIMATE Intercooler Thread - What to Look For Before Buying an FMIC

Was trying to install the arm Fmic in my n54 but I just can't get the piping to plug in.Intercooler fits in place but the piping just won't connect to the intercooler
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2019, 01:26 PM   #330
cecaa850
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louayea View Post
Was trying to install the arm Fmic in my n54 but I just can't get the piping to plug in.Intercooler fits in place but the piping just won't connect to the intercooler
Any issues with the factory cooler?

If you have aftermarket piping sometimes you can loosen the rubber couplings, plug the intercooler pipes in, then tighten the rubber collars back up.
Appreciate 0