BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Video + PC Gaming / Computing > LCD TV's

06-17-2008, 12:34 PM   #23
Scarecrows25
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 E90 - Jet Black

I've got the Samsung LNT-61F series, and couldn't be happier. 1080p resolution, a couple of HDMI inputs, and a great picture. I liked the matte screen better than the LNT-65F line and its glossy screen.

I went with the Samsung LCD for several reasons:

- at my viewing distances, I could see the difference in 1080p vs 720p.
- 1080p was more affordable at the time in LCDs than plasmas.
- my room has a wall of windows on one side, and I didn't want to worry about potential glare from a plasma
- LCDs are more energy effecient than plasmas (minor, but hey, why not?)

CNET.com has really in-depth reviews that you might check out.
      06-17-2008, 12:42 PM   #24
ZBMW
Black Forest Bimmerphile
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

If you want to take a little time and draw your own conclusions on what is best for you go to Projectorcentral.com. They have all the makes and models as well as where to get the best price. They list the current best sellers every Monday and you can get user comments on the TV's. pc-newsalert@projectorcentral.com
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2008, 01:07 PM   #25
TurboFan
Ski bum
Rep
Drives: sideways

Quote:
Originally Posted by CnoteMD View Post
This actually has everything to do with Plasma vs LCD. The typical plasma screen is glass +/- an anti-reflective coating of varying effectiveness. The typical LCD screen (same technology as the screens used with most pc's and laptop) has very little reflective properties.

Try asking the same question on AVSforum.com or better yet, walk into any mass-market electronics store and see which type of screen reflects more of the ambient light. The difference in screen reflections will be far easier to recognize than the shrinking difference in black levels between the two technologies.
You're not the only person here that hangs out on AVS. I find most of the postings there to be random muses from people that don't even own what they are writing about. I happen to own both LCD and plasma screens, and it comes down to the front screen of the display. Mine are all high contrast screens, and both the LCD's and the plasmas get washed when light is reflecting off the screen. The technology doesn't matter.

1999 e46 328i Ti Silver / Black[retired]
2007 e90 335xi Jet Black / Black[retired]
2011 e70 X5 35d Vermillion Red / Cinnamon
2011 e92 M3 LeMans / Fox Red extended
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2008, 02:07 PM   #26
Brunotheboxer
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Shelby GT500.

I have both plasma and lcd too and i much prefer the plasma which is a pioneer elite. Its my favorite tv of the three that i own. I dont game anymore but if i did i would just go lcd because it will be totally carefree. I have a sammy lcd and like it a lot.

"...I maybe drunk, but you're ugly, and I can sober up..."
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2008, 04:39 PM   #27
Neurorad
Major
Rep
Drives: 2017 340xi

Another plug for AVSforum

GREAT site for posing questions.

Tip - remotecentral.com for their professional AV installer subforum
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2008, 11:52 AM   #28
bolinp78
G35 convertee
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i (AW)

I would definitely visit AVS forums before I came here for these questions.
      07-24-2008, 11:57 AM   #29
bolinp78
G35 convertee
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i (AW)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboFan View Post
You're not the only person here that hangs out on AVS. I find most of the postings there to be random muses from people that don't even own what they are writing about. I happen to own both LCD and plasma screens, and it comes down to the front screen of the display. Mine are all high contrast screens, and both the LCD's and the plasmas get washed when light is reflecting off the screen. The technology doesn't matter.
http://www.carltonbale.com/2007/08/p...ciding-factor/

http://www.movingtoanapartment.com/p...tment-dogs.htm

http://totd.squarespace.com/tip-of-t...lasma-tvs.html

Just search the word 'glare' on all of these.
      07-24-2008, 12:02 PM   #30
txusa03
Major General
Rep
Drives: TS330iPPSP6MT

I am getting a flat screen TV for sure when 2009 comes. I have been waiting and waiting and everytime something new comes out.

So to make it easy for me, I will buy a 40-42 inche lcd for the living room by 2009. Then later on, if some other new technology appears, I can take the 40-42 incher and put it in the bed room and buy a newer TV 46 inches for the living room. I am waiting for the LG70 or LG75 series to come out to see how much they are and if they fit my budget. But I don't think they make them in 42". That is my plan for now.

I would have bought a high end samsung LCD had they not used the glossy screen (they loss).
      08-01-2008, 09:45 AM   #31
aasd
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brunotheboxer View Post
I have both plasma and lcd too and i much prefer the plasma which is a pioneer elite. Its my favorite tv of the three that i own. I dont game anymore but if i did i would just go lcd because it will be totally carefree. I have a sammy lcd and like it a lot.
Your Pioneer Elite is the leading Plasma quality in the industry, hence it's much higher price tag. The LCD technology is catching up rapidly with Plasma's. It all depends on what you want to do.. If it's all about watching TV or movies (Blu-ray, HD-DVD[obsolete]) then plasma is the way to go.. If you also play video games or want to hook up your computer to the LCD, then it definitely is a choice for LCD.. Since I do all of that, I decided to go with LCD, and I bought myself the Samsung LNT-4071. I am not disappointed in my decision-making on bit. I don't remember much of the specs and I don't care to, but I can tell you I spent about 2 months researching the net before I decided to dive in for that TV.
      08-19-2008, 12:25 PM   #32
Oregano123
Banned.....j/k
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 535xi, '11 Panamera

xbr6