BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > S55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > Noelle Performance review

Closed Thread

01-05-2020, 12:47 PM   #45
pz619
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F87 M2C 6MT, Tesla 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Fabri View Post
yes, and did you read it correctly? i was wondering what happen if the engine blows up. they say it is to noel discrection to honor the warraty. for sure if you write a different software from what bmw uses you lose the warranty. it is written in the contract you signed.
No, there is no signed contract for warranties in the US. You don’t sign anything in the purchase of the car and you certainly aren’t signing anything if you purchase second hand. The manufacturer has to still honor the warranty until you violate the warranty; in this case through drivetrain modification.

As for as Noelle’s warranty its up to their discretion to either repair OR replace the parts in question. It’s not up to their discretion on whether or not honor the warranty.

https://www.noelleperformance.com/wp...-Statement.pdf
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2020, 07:43 AM   #46
Megator
Captain
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by pz619 View Post
It’s not up to their discretion on whether or not honor the warranty.

[/url]
That's just not true and a fundamental misunderstanding of a warranty. The tuner can weasel their way out of covering you just like BMW or any OEM can.

Most likely scenario (that I have seen before) BMW blames tuner, tuner blames BMW and you are SOL.

Sadly the burden of proof that it was an already present defect and not neglect/misuse that caused an issue is on the buyer.
      01-06-2020, 09:42 AM   #47
pz619
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megator View Post
Quote:
It’s not up to their discretion on whether or not honor the warranty.

[/url]
That's just not true and a fundamental misunderstanding of a warranty. The tuner can weasel their way out of covering you just like BMW or any OEM can.

Most likely scenario (that I have seen before) BMW blames tuner, tuner blames BMW and you are SOL.

Sadly the burden of proof that it was an already present defect and not neglect/misuse that caused an issue is on the buyer.
It is true, it's literally in the writing. Whether or not the warranty is honored by Noelle, no one can tell. Ultimately the warranty does say they will repair or replace any Noelle part along with "any original vehicle manufacturers part that may have been directly affected by a Noelle component".

Now I do understand this could be a pain in the ass to enforce and worst case you need to involve outside legal counsel, but I don't think anyone is there yet. At the end of the day, there is a warranty that is pretty clear on coverage. It's no different than Dinan, Carbahn, racechip, etc.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2020, 10:12 AM   #48
Big Fabri
Second Lieutenant
Italy
Rep
Drives: Lamborghini Huracan

of course it is an extreme case scenario but i believe that is something serious happens there will be a problem. at the end, maybe someone will cover the expenses but how long will it take?

i don't what to complain but i already know that this is kind of borderline. i ahve seen it many times and the customer ended up paying the rebuild. this i why we offer an insurance over a cost. we are pretty sure about our labor but nobody will cover the expenses if we have to test something like injector. a customer called me becosue broken the engine over a pretty off the shelf tune ( like Apr, revo etc). One cilinder left this world too son due to an injector. the injector was working but not as it should. the oxigen sensor saw the lean misture and incresed the amount but one cilinder kept going lean until he passed away. he was told he was insured but nobody covered the expenses. The tuner said he wasn't his fault. of course the dealer told him that he could have fucked himself due to the tune...

Last edited by Big Fabri; 01-06-2020 at 10:20 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2020, 01:42 PM   #49
btbossman
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 335xi M sport--2014 M6

Quote:
It is true, it's literally in the writing. Whether or not the warranty is honored by Noelle, no one can tell. Ultimately the warranty does say they will repair or replace any Noelle part along with "any original vehicle manufacturers part that may have been directly affected by a Noelle component".

Now I do understand this could be a pain in the ass to enforce and worst case you need to involve outside legal counsel, but I don't think anyone is there yet. At the end of the day, there is a warranty that is pretty clear on coverage. It's no different than Dinan, Carbahn, racechip, etc.
I agree entirely.
Appreciate 1
pz6193274.00
      01-07-2020, 07:06 AM   #50
Big Fabri
Second Lieutenant
Italy
Rep

who can say if it was their fault or not. they will say of course this happened because of this, because of the weather, Trump, Salvini ( italian politics) and so the warranty will no cover the problem
Appreciate 1
VIERsr2620.50
      01-07-2020, 07:16 AM   #51
btbossman
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
who can say if it was their fault or not. they will say of course this happened because of this, because of the weather, Trump, Salvini ( italian politics) and so the warranty will no cover the problem
In America, sometimes you have to sue people to get somewhere. Unfortunately it’s just part of the game. You must take risks if you want rewards.

I personally have confidence that should something arise, Noelle would step up. Probably not as quick as a bmw warranty claim, but I doubt they wouldn’t want the issue resolved in a timely manner for everyone’s sake.

They didn’t have to offer a warranty. They chose to for a reason.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2020, 07:19 AM   #52
Big Fabri
Second Lieutenant
Italy
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by btbossman View Post
Quote:
In America, sometimes you have to sue people to get somewhere. Unfortunately it’s just part of the game. You must take risks if you want rewards.

I personally have confidence that should something arise, Noelle would step up. Probably not as quick as a bmw warranty claim, but I doubt they wouldn’t want the issue resolved in a timely manner for everyone’s sake.

They didn’t have to offer a warranty. They chose to for a reason.
Dom't get me wrong,I'm sure nothing will happen and you will enjoy the car for years,but my concerns were for warranty because the statement is too generic
      01-07-2020, 07:39 AM   #53
btbossman
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Dom't get me wrong,I'm sure nothing will happen and you will enjoy the car for years,but my concerns were for warranty because the statement is too generic
I sure hope so. I think the reason for that is to cover themselves should you blow your engine or something on a track, or just with other mods beating on it.

One of the top selling points for me is the gain without other mods aspect.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2020, 01:40 PM   #54
subzero05
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 335

read the warranty carefully and you will see its not a warranty. You are required to run Liquid moly oil , not anything else AND they only cover replacement of "their" components, NOTHING ELSE> Don't be fooled by this!
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2020, 01:44 PM   #55
Got f1?
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 E46 ZHP, 20 X3M, M2CS

Interesting, I did not notice this before or I missed it.

*If your vehicle has the N55B30T0 engine or the S55 engine, you must update your Crank Hub with a “keyed” version or use a Crank Hub Bolt Capture in order to obtain Noelle Performance’s warranty coverage. If you choose not to update your Crank Hub, you can still purchase Noelle Performance programming but there will be no matching warranty coverage.

So I guess that means I need to add the cost of this to the tune?
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2020, 04:34 PM   #56
btbossman
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Got f1? View Post

*If your vehicle has the N55B30T0 engine or the S55 engine, you must update your Crank Hub with a “keyed” version or use a Crank Hub Bolt Capture in order to obtain Noelle Performance’s warranty coverage. If you choose not to update your Crank Hub, you can still purchase Noelle Performance programming but there will be no matching warranty coverage.

Right. Tune plus labor and the Turner part cost me 3200. Plus a 1k deductible because a piece of road shit cracked my bumper and wheel well liner.

Would do it again in a heartbeat. Minus the road shit.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2020, 04:42 PM   #57
btbossman
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by subzero05 View Post
read the warranty carefully and you will see its not a warranty. You are required to run Liquid moly oil , not anything else AND they only cover replacement of "their" components, NOTHING ELSE> Don't be fooled by this!
Actually it clearly states they will repair or replace any manufacturer items if damaged as well if covered under warranty. I take the language you refer to as protecting themselves when denying a warranty.

If something goes wrong I’m sure they would be interested to see if you are running other mods which would indeed invalidate the warranty.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2020, 05:57 PM   #58
infinitekidM2C
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Competition

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Got f1? View Post

I mean the crank hub bolt is really the only weak link in this engine's chain. Considering the cost of that it's quite a little "caveat" eh?

Kind of like saying, i guarantee this shitty washrag won't scratch your car or we will replace the paint (oh but you'll need to the entire car wrapped first).
Appreciate 1
shoei7778.00
      01-10-2020, 07:53 PM   #59
btbossman
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by infinitekidM2C View Post
I mean the crank hub bolt is really the only weak link in this engine's chain. Considering the cost of that it's quite a little "caveat" eh?

Kind of like saying, i guarantee this shitty washrag won't scratch your car or we will replace the paint (oh but you'll need to the entire car wrapped first).
It’s just ridiculous to me that BMW allowed this. At the time I had my crank bolt capture installed. The shop had a bmw v10 from an m6 out, and it comes stock with a crank bolt capture.

For me I saw the bolt capture as cheap insurance. If I had to do the full keyed upgrade, I would have declined.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2020, 08:23 PM   #60
pz619
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Uh no. Read the link I posted earlier in the thread. It's quite specific.

For the record I'm not defending nor detracting Noelle. But their warranty verbiage is quite clear on what's covered.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2020, 05:54 AM   #61
Dutch Devotion
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F80M3 - M2 comp ETA 14.10.2019

Quote:
And you would need to have documented proof of a replacement of that same oil at a ridiculous short interval. In my case about every 1,5 month. Makes no sense. This is not a warranty policy, but a warranty waiver.
Appreciate 1
Driver87251.50
      01-12-2020, 11:02 PM   #62
paradocs98
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2C

Noelle’s website states that it’s a true flash programming installation that doesn’t require removing or backdating the DME. But with the newer 2020 model year DME in the M2C, Bootmod3 hasn’t been able to establish access to tune, and Carbahn (and Dinan?) require removing and backdating the DME prior to flashing a tune. So how does Noelle do it? Are they the only ones who have been able to crack into the new DME?
      01-13-2020, 05:09 AM   #63
DriverDaily
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by paradocs98 View Post
Noelle’s website states that it’s a true flash programming installation that doesn’t require removing or backdating the DME. But with the newer 2020 model year DME in the M2C, Bootmod3 hasn’t been able to establish access to tune, and Carbahn (and Dinan?) require removing and backdating the DME prior to flashing a tune. So how does Noelle do it? Are they the only ones who have been able to crack into the new DME?
They use a $16,000 Bosch tool that they ship around the country. At least according to the Noelle Dealer I spoke with in this thread:

https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1680199

Dinan was also able to tune vehicles without removing the ECU from the car at their HQ event when the S55 flash was released. I'm guessing they, and many other tuners, have bought a similar expensive tool and just don't loan it out to their dealers.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2020, 01:59 PM   #64
Big Fabri
Second Lieutenant
Italy
Rep

I'm taking a vacation in New York and I went to Bmw of Manhattan to buy some parts not available in Italy or Europe. I was looking for the Dinan Monoball conversion kit and so I spoke with some people in there about Dinan They told me they don't sell Dinan stuff refused to honour a contrite paying at least part of the repair putting the blame on a bad component from the manufacturer. As I said early having a warranty is not a guarantee of being paid in case something happens
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2020, 10:02 AM   #65
subzero05
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 335

Quote:
I'm taking a vacation in New York and I went to Bmw of Manhattan to buy some parts not available in Italy or Europe. I was looking for the Dinan Monoball conversion kit and so I spoke with some people in there about Dinan They told me they don't sell Dinan stuff refused to honour a contrite paying at least part of the repair putting the blame on a bad component from the manufacturer. As I said early having a warranty is not a guarantee of being paid in case something happens
interesting as BMW of manhattan was a Dinan dealer.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2020, 10:04 AM   #66
Big Fabri
Second Lieutenant
Italy
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
interesting as BMW of manhattan was a Dinan dealer.
If you check on Dinan web page it's still there