BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Competition Model > Alarm sounding

05-16-2021, 07:08 PM   #1
21M2
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 21 M2, 20 Macan

Alarm sounding

So I was driving a five mile stretch and at about mile two I heard an alarm going off. Thought it was another car but once I turned down the stereo I realized it was from my car, also the little half round dome thingy that is under the rearview mirror was blinking red. I still had some miles togo before the gas station so I checked the dash for some kind of warning, nothing! I also checked the car systems on the information screen, nothing! Stoped for gas and when I restarted it there was no more alarm. What Happened?
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2021, 10:22 PM   #2
Mustang7302
Rep
Drives: BMW F87 M2C M6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 21M2 View Post
So I was driving a five mile stretch and at about mile two I heard an alarm going off. Thought it was another car but once I turned down the stereo I realized it was from my car, also the little half round dome thingy that is under the rearview mirror was blinking red. I still had some miles togo before the gas station so I checked the dash for some kind of warning, nothing! I also checked the car systems on the information screen, nothing! Stoped for gas and when I restarted it there was no more alarm. What Happened?
Just the other day I had the alarm go off while I was starting to back up the driveway into the garage. No idea other than maybe the panic button on the remote got pressed when I shifted around a bit to back up.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2021, 10:58 AM   #3
wjones14
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C

My M2C is only 2 weeks old so I am still learning the features and controls. I was driving on a two lane 35 mph road this weekend. There was normal traffic but no one directly in front of me. All of a sudden I heard a loud warning chirp and saw a red warning icon at the top of the gauge cluster between the speedometer and tachometer. The chirp was loud enough to startle me momentarily. The display disappeared after several seconds, and I had no idea what it was.

Got home and read the owner's manual, and wondered if the warning was the Approach Control Warning? The icon looked like a car. But the thing was, there was no car in front of me. I didn't see anything that could have triggered the warning, like a squirrel or anything else in the road.

The owner's manual does not mention an audible alarm. So maybe the warning was something else?

"Indicator light illuminates: advance warning is issued, for example when there is the impending danger of a collision or the distance to the vehicle ahead is too small.

Increase the distance.

Indicator light flashes: acute warning of the imminent danger of a collision when the vehicle approaches another vehicle at a relatively high differential speed.

Intervene by braking or make an evasive maneuver."
      06-28-2021, 11:23 AM   #4
ESB
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2C

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by wjones14 View Post
My M2C is only 2 weeks old so I am still learning the features and controls. I was driving on a two lane 35 mph road this weekend. There was normal traffic but no one directly in front of me. All of a sudden I heard a loud warning chirp and saw a red warning icon at the top of the gauge cluster between the speedometer and tachometer. The chirp was loud enough to startle me momentarily. The display disappeared after several seconds, and I had no idea what it was.

Got home and read the owner's manual, and wondered if the warning was the Approach Control Warning? The icon looked like a car. But the thing was, there was no car in front of me. I didn't see anything that could have triggered the warning, like a squirrel or anything else in the road.

The owner's manual does not mention an audible alarm. So maybe the warning was something else?

"Indicator light illuminates: advance warning is issued, for example when there is the impending danger of a collision or the distance to the vehicle ahead is too small.

Increase the distance.

Indicator light flashes: acute warning of the imminent danger of a collision when the vehicle approaches another vehicle at a relatively high differential speed.

Intervene by braking or make an evasive maneuver."
I've had the collision warning make an audible sound. It's possible that's what you experienced.

Separately, I've also had my alarm randomly go off for no reason twice in the last year. But never while driving.

I wish the bmw app would send me a notification when that happened.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2021, 11:29 AM   #5
richard in NC
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 Z4 35i

The alarm can be triggered by the button on the keyfob being pressed while in your pocket. Rare on the M2 style keyfob but I've had it happen twice in my X3, as well as the rear hatch opening!!!

Yes the collision can go off if the sensors detect the car approaching anything. It can be triggered a driveway ramp or steep road transition (from downhill to uphill). Or a vehicle on the side of the road in a curve. It can be a false alarm but I assume its purposely sensitive enough to pick up a car pulling out in front of you for example.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2021, 12:06 PM   #6
KevinC
your average JAMF
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 M2 Comp, '19 Golf R

Garage List
I'm sure the audible sound, at thet same time as the visual warning occurred, had to be the frontal collision warning system, even if the f'ing manual doesn't state that there's an audible warning.

How do our cars sense objects in front? On my Golf R, it's via a radar sensor behind the VW logo on the grille. Does the M2c even have a radar sensor, or is this done via the camera behind the rearview mirror?
      06-28-2021, 01:00 PM   #7
ESB
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2C

Garage List
I think it's the camera. AFAIK we don't have radar (I really wish we had adaptive cruise. I know it's a drivers car but when I drive several hours out for few hours of spirited driving and then I have a 2.5-3hr boring drive back on an interstate highway I feel no shame in wishing I had adaptive cruise

haha
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2021, 02:13 PM   #8
KevinC
your average JAMF
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 M2 Comp, '19 Golf R

Garage List
Adaptive cruise is spectacular and one of my favorite features in my Golf. But I'm ok with the M2c's dynamic cruise, because at least it's capable of downhill braking to maintain speed. Also the ability to move up/down in 5 mph increments easily is super handy. Golf has that feature as well, both very well-implemented.
      06-28-2021, 06:14 PM   #9
contented
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C DCT, 2022 Ford Bronco

Quote:
Strange things can happen when key fobs get shoved into a pocket or purse. It only takes a few other things to push against the buttons. I've went into the garage in the morning and found the Mini's convertible top standing straight up, tailgate on the X3 open, or alarms going off while I'm watching tv. In every case it was caused by what I'll call key fob management practices. If one sits down and the pants tighten up thru the pocket area, doors can lock/unlock, etc. I can't say I've ever had anything happen while driving. Next time you go for a ride, leave the key fob out and press the alarm button to see if the alarm squeaks.

Hope this helps. Contented
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2021, 07:12 PM   #10
smknjoe
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C, 2018 GTI, 2007 Rabbi

Quote:
Originally Posted by contented View Post
Quote:
Strange things can happen when key fobs get shoved into a pocket or purse. It only takes a few other things to push against the buttons. I've went into the garage in the morning and found the Mini's convertible top standing straight up, tailgate on the X3 open, or alarms going off while I'm watching tv. In every case it was caused by what I'll call key fob management practices. If one sits down and the pants tighten up thru the pocket area, doors can lock/unlock, etc. I can't say I've ever had anything happen while driving. Next time you go for a ride, leave the key fob out and press the alarm button to see if the alarm squeaks.

Hope this helps. Contented
Key fob butt dial. Happens to me all the time. Especially, after I tie a few on…
Appreciate 1
contented193.50
      06-28-2021, 08:08 PM   #11
contented
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C DCT, 2022 Ford Bronco

Quote:
Originally Posted by smknjoe View Post
Key fob butt dial. Happens to me all the time. Especially, after I tie a few on…
"Key fob butt dial" - couldn't have said it better.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2021, 12:06 AM   #12
stefan
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

Panic buttons should be illegal. Literally everyone ignores a car going off anyway.