BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > Wheels / Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack > What Winter-tire psi do you run?

12-02-2019, 10:01 AM   #1
VisualEcho
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 M2 6MT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
What Winter-tire psi do you run?

I'll be putting my Winter set on soon and wanted to know what pressures you guys are running. For Summer I run 35 psi, and was going to run 32 psi for Winter, but doing a quick google search I'm finding that some manufacturers are recommending to run higher than standard pressure in Winter, not lower.

Once, years ago, my TL was wearing its Winter set and the temps got up to 65° one day before I took trip to STL (300 mile round trip). Upon returning I found that the tires were worn badly in the middle because the combination of warmer temps, steady speed on the Interstate (extra heat in the tires), and super soft compound Winter tires basically destroyed them. So now I'm much more cautious.

So what do you run?
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2019, 11:07 AM   #2
Anthony1s
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2018 Mineral Grey M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by VisualEcho View Post
I'll be putting my Winter set on soon and wanted to know what pressures you guys are running. For Summer I run 35 psi, and was going to run 32 psi for Winter, but doing a quick google search I'm finding that some manufacturers are recommending to run higher than standard pressure in Winter, not lower.

Once, years ago, my TL was wearing its Winter set and the temps got up to 65° one day before I took trip to STL (300 mile round trip). Upon returning I found that the tires were worn badly in the middle because the combination of warmer temps, steady speed on the Interstate (extra heat in the tires), and super soft compound Winter tires basically destroyed them. So now I'm much more cautious.

So what do you run?
I inflate mine to 40psi when I first put them on, as winter progresses and the temps get colder, the tire pressure lowers, so they are at 35psi now.

But I think that's why mfgs say to run a higher pressure in winter. Because ppl generally only check their psi when they first put their tires on, then the colder temps the air will condense and lower your psi.
Appreciate 2
VisualEcho6632.00
x233284.00
      12-02-2019, 11:19 AM   #3
VisualEcho
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 M2 6MT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony1s View Post
I inflate mine to 40psi when I first put them on, as winter progresses and the temps get colder, the tire pressure lowers, so they are at 35psi now.

But I think that's why mfgs say to run a higher pressure in winter. Because ppl generally only check their psi when they first put their tires on, then the colder temps the air will condense and lower your psi.
I think that's probably true. My garage isn't heated, but it's attached, and when it's 25° outside it's 52° in my garage. So setting them to 32° will ultimately result in 30° or below once I leave.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2019, 11:32 AM   #4
tokki
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: M2C

I run mine at 30psi. Mostly city/short commuting. If I were highway commuting more, I'd air up to about 32. Make sure you set and measure the pressure on a realistically cold day so that pressure stay closer to where you want it.
Appreciate 1
VisualEcho6632.00
      12-22-2019, 07:26 PM   #5
5.M0NSTER
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE

I stick to 35 psi to maintain stiffer sidewall for high speed stability. If you don't drive too fast lower makes some sense, but I still hit 160mph frequently even in the winter. At lower pressures the winter tires get a bit floaty and un-precise.
2018 Camaro SS 1LE. Because race car!

"Redline a day keeps the mechanics away"
Appreciate 1
VisualEcho6632.00