BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M2 Forum > Pricing / Ordering / European Delivery / PCD > European Delivery 9/10/19

08-29-2019, 10:08 PM   #23
Aloha Joe
Hanapaa!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 6mt, LBB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thescout13 View Post
Haha yeah agreed, I was giving him an option that's a bit more convenient/less anxiety inducing since his ED is a bit further out. It's funny you mentioned this, because although my wife and I ordered it online, we still tried to spot a station with it on our last ED to inform what we should do instead on future EDs and we actually missed the station haha. Needless to say I ordered it again this year for my ED next week.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midtown2020 View Post
Super easy! As easy as finding a gas station close to the border or just after you’ve crossed. They will understand exactly what you are asking for when you tell them you need the window sticker. I wouldn’t bother ordering in advance.
I was just over there 2 weeks ago.
Thescout13, Good info for my next ED, hopefully there'll be another ED in my future. On my ED trip in 2017, I just followed the advice on here of buying one at a gas station, close to the border of Switzerland. Unfortunately they didn't have any and I ended up buying one at the toll gate/border crossing, entering Switzerland.

At the tollgate, I had to park the M2, go to a seperate booth with my passport plus all the BMW paperwork. I was instructed to go back to my car where 2 security guards met me. They then began inspecting my car inside, out and underneath. they asked my wife and I to stand outside and remove our luggage from the trunk. They then asked me a whole bunch of questions about my purpose of travel and about my new car. It wasn't excited new car talk, it was more in line with thinking that I maybe was sneaking a stolen car across the border. They were not familiar with the BMW ED program.

The whole process took about 45 minutes. The guards weren't rude but neither were they friendly. If I had the vignette prior, I could have drove through a different line and I'm sure it would have sped up the process.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2019, 09:38 AM   #24
goku7
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M2C ED 08/2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aloha Joe View Post
Thescout13, Good info for my next ED, hopefully there'll be another ED in my future. On my ED trip in 2017, I just followed the advice on here of buying one at a gas station, close to the border of Switzerland. Unfortunately they didn't have any and I ended up buying one at the toll gate/border crossing, entering Switzerland.

At the tollgate, I had to park the M2, go to a seperate booth with my passport plus all the BMW paperwork. I was instructed to go back to my car where 2 security guards met me. They then began inspecting my car inside, out and underneath. they asked my wife and I to stand outside and remove our luggage from the trunk. They then asked me a whole bunch of questions about my purpose of travel and about my new car. It wasn't excited new car talk, it was more in line with thinking that I maybe was sneaking a stolen car across the border. They were not familiar with the BMW ED program.

The whole process took about 45 minutes. The guards weren't rude but neither were they friendly. If I had the vignette prior, I could have drove through a different line and I'm sure it would have sped up the process.
yup same experience with the Swiss police. they are not rude but they are not friendly either. they were neutral. ya before entering Switzerland better have their toll sticker as they have checkpoints. there were no checkpoints while entering Austria from Germany.
Appreciate 1
Aloha Joe391.00
      09-09-2019, 04:24 PM   #25
ChrisRoman
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 M340i

Good to know. I just got to the hotel in Munich. Check-in at 8am and delivery at 9:20am

Quote:
Originally Posted by goku7 View Post
yup same experience with the Swiss police. they are not rude but they are not friendly either. they were neutral. ya before entering Switzerland better have their toll sticker as they have checkpoints. there were no checkpoints while entering Austria from Germany.
Appreciate 1
goku7173.00
      09-12-2019, 03:52 AM   #26
ChrisRoman
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Ok so far in Switzerland it is better to stay on the big roads. We used the USB Navigation and it took us to a closed bridge when we tried to enter from Austria. We also ran into a very diifficult situation using our Iphone Maps. We were attemtping to go from the Furka Pass and Grimsel Pass to Engelberg (Mt. Titlis) and it took us through a back road with a toll. 6 miles later we were bottomed out on a very narrow dirt road on a ledge with a beautiful lake a couple feet down. We had to reverse down the edge of the ledge a couple miles to find a spot where we can make a 3-point turn and get out of there. The undercarriage probably has some bruises from this experience but we are just happy we made it out of there. This also left all four wheels covered in mud as well as mud along both sides of the car. Luckily found a wash station outside of Interlaken's train station and got it rinsed off All in all its been an amazing experience so far as we are heading up to First Mountain today in Grindewald!
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2019, 07:51 PM   #27
M2Cmtl
Major
Rep
Drives: 21 Q7 & 22 4XE

I would just 2nd the tip about keeping Swiss Francs with you. I remember one night stoping at a gas station (9-10 pm) and you could only prepay by credit card by yourself and all my credit cards where refused, lucky I was with a Swiss friend! Also many places don't take credit cards, amex even less.
      09-25-2019, 07:42 AM   #28
ChrisRoman
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Yes my Amex and credit union debit card were useless. We used the girlfriends Capital One Venture for Everything and paid it off after each use. Only had to fill up twice as I only put 507 miles on her. Both places used cards. Needed the Francs mainly for parking garages and car washes and food trucks in Bern.

Quote:
Originally Posted by f31mtl View Post
I would just 2nd the tip about keeping Swiss Francs with you. I remember one night stoping at a gas station (9-10 pm) and you could only prepay by credit card by yourself and all my credit cards where refused, lucky I was with a Swiss friend! Also many places don't take credit cards, amex even less.
Appreciate 0