BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Discussions > Traded my 2017 Corvette Grandsport for 2018 M2 LCI

01-21-2019, 12:45 PM   #1
SConn
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Traded my 2017 Corvette Grandsport for 2018 M2 LCI

Hi All! New to the forum, first BMW.

Still kind of have mixed feelings about my trade, but I think it's the right decision for now. Loved my Vette. The power, the low seat position, the looks. But I always kind of felt like a jerk driving it (only had it 5 months and 1100 miles) because it was just kind of over-the-top.

I also had serious concerns about the torque converter issues that GM can't seem to figure out after 5 years! This is only an issue with the A8 tranny.

Anyway, saw the M2 at the local BMW dealer and did some research on them. Test drove it, thought about it and made the trade. I haven't driven it much yet. It's a manual, which I regretted not getting in the GS. It has the MPE, which I love, but I wish I didn't have to turn it on with a switch.

So far my main issue with the M2 is the lack of easy exit seats (where the seat slides back a bit when you shut the car off). I'm only 5'2, so I have to slide way up to reach the pedals and getting out without pushing the seat back is kind of a pain.

Anyway, the M2 seems like a great little car and I'm excited to get to know it a little better. I've been soaking in the forum so I can learn all the language, etc.

Just wanted to introduce myself I tried to add pics but the files were too large.
Appreciate 10
McGary911467.00
tokki203.50
akkando5860.00
dmboone254970.50
DOMs335D220.50
bi0hazard132.00
Scrape37.50
jas159897.50
      01-21-2019, 01:00 PM   #2
JRF
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 991.1 GTS (NSX, M2, e92 gone)

vette

Quote:
Originally Posted by SConn View Post

Still kind of have mixed feelings about my trade, but I think it's the right decision for now. Loved my Vette. The power, the low seat position, the looks. But I always kind of felt like a jerk driving it (only had it 5 months and 1100 miles) because it was just kind of over-the-top.

I also had serious concerns about the torque converter issues that GM can't seem to figure out after 5 years! This is only an issue with the A8 tranny.

Anyway, saw the M2 at the local BMW dealer and did some research on them. Test drove it, thought about it and made the trade. I haven't driven it much yet. It's a manual, which I regretted not getting in the GS. It has the MPE, which I love, but I wish I didn't have to turn it on with a switch.

So far my main issue with the M2 is the lack of easy exit seats (where the seat slides back a bit when you shut the car off). I'm only 5'2, so I have to slide way up to reach the pedals and getting out without pushing the seat back is kind of a pain.

Anyway, the M2 seems like a great little car and I'm excited to get to know it a little better. I've been soaking in the forum so I can learn all the language, etc.

Just wanted to introduce myself I tried to add pics but the files were too large.
hey, congrats on the new ride. totally understand. I was "shopping" for a new vette a couple of years ago....really loved the car and wanted one....but just couldn't get over the image/stereotypes associated with it and it's owners. maybe that was just me being insecure or too worried about what others think, but it absolutely did prevent me from buying one. and i'm glad I didn't.
Appreciate 1
SConn180.00
      01-21-2019, 01:43 PM   #3
ZM2
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 LBB M2

Pull up the BimmerCode forum thread. You can use that to program the easy access seating.
Appreciate 3
      01-21-2019, 02:36 PM   #4
ShelJW
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 MG BMW M2

Congrats on getting an M2!
i looked at corvettes, I test drove a Cayman (well, a Boxster, couldn't find a Cayman on Turo at the time, but same car...)

I then rented an M2 for two days. After picking it up, I was getting on the freeway and the onramp was a giant loop, and I took it rather, um... fast! The M2 stuck to the road like it was glued on... reminded me of my '89 Lotus Esprit... first car that gave me that same feeling of being on rails... went to my BMW dealership within the hour, and ordered my '18 LCI mineral grey M2!

As mentioned in a previous post, you can always get Bimmercode, and code the seats so they slide backwards when you turn off the engine, and slide forward when you start the engine! You'll need an OBD2 device, which, if I remember correctly costs about $25, and the Bimmercode app.

I've coded my side mirrors to automatically retract when I turn the car off and lock it, and extend back when I unlock the car. I also turned off the warning that you need to acknowledge every time you turn on the car!

I didn't set my car to have the seat retract automatically, because I was concerned if one of my kids was in the back seat, and I forgot and turned the car off... the amount of legroom isn't very much!

However, I set seat position 2 to fully retracted, and lowered!

Being that you can set different drivers, with different seating positions, my key is specifically for ME... and I don't really NEED two different seat positions!

Seat position 1 is where I like it when driving, seat position 2 is for easy egress! Problem solved!

You're going to love this car, I really believe!

Enjoy it, and post some photos!

Hey... now get out there and drive the damn thing!!!
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
SConn180.00
      01-21-2019, 06:32 PM   #5
SConn
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Oh my gosh! Thank you all so much for your advice! I'm going to look into Bimmercode tonight! That makes me so happy! Lol!
It's the little things, right? I just kept thinking.. How can a car with this much tech on it, NOT have that feature!

Took her for a drive today and it really is a fun car! I really did miss the manual tranny. And I've always had NA cars, so the turbo is fun to. The lag is nearly non-existent. I don't notice any at all.

Now.. If Bimmercode allows me to keep her in Sport mode all the time, I'll be ecstatic! Thanks again everyone
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2019, 07:26 PM   #6
ShelJW
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 MG BMW M2

Once you've had your 1200 mile service, check out launch control! it is a total blast!

Also, as you say, it's the little things! I really love the auto high beams! Also, voice control works amazingly well! Press the voice control button, say "Take me home", and the nav launches and starts to navigate you home! You can also ask it to call specific people, show you tire pressure, on and on....

What color did you get? Post a photo or two when you get a chance!
Appreciate 1
SConn180.00
      01-21-2019, 07:42 PM   #7
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

Quote:

The car can be "coded" via an app or computer or someone you pay to slide the seat back when you get out I think. Of course this will crush anyone sitting behind you....

Search the bimmercode thread on the nav forum or ask in that thread how to do it. Will cost you like $40 to do it yourself with the app and OBD reader. Not sure how much to pay someone.
Appreciate 1
SConn180.00
      01-21-2019, 11:33 PM   #8
SConn
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShelJW View Post
Once you've had your 1200 mile service, check out launch control! it is a total blast!

Also, as you say, it's the little things! I really love the auto high beams! Also, voice control works amazingly well! Press the voice control button, say "Take me home", and the nav launches and starts to navigate you home! You can also ask it to call specific people, show you tire pressure, on and on....

What color did you get? Post a photo or two when you get a chance!
I purchased the car used with 8700 miles, so break-in was already done I got the LBB and it came with the carbon fiber exhaust tips and carbon fiber spoiler, black kidney grills and black side vents. I tried to post photos of my Vette and M2, but the files are too large. I always use my phone, so changing photo size is a pain. Unless I'm missing another way?

Quote:
Originally Posted by akkando View Post
The car can be "coded" via an app or computer or someone you pay to slide the seat back when you get out I think. Of course this will crush anyone sitting behind you....

Search the bimmercode thread on the nav forum or ask in that thread how to do it. Will cost you like $40 to do it yourself with the app and OBD reader. Not sure how much to pay someone.
Already on it thanks to other posters! Ordered the OBD2 port and will get the full version of Bimmercode when it comes Wednesday. I spent so much time learning about Corvettes and everything they involve, now I have to switch gears and learn all new stuff. Oh well, it's fun. I can't believe the tech options on these cars!
      01-22-2019, 02:59 AM   #9
5.M0NSTER
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE

Congrats on the car! It will be a different experience for sure. Enjoy

To be honest I will likely do the opposite of what you did when my expat assignment ends in 2.5 years. I am enjoying my m2, but I think I will probably sell the it here and buy a Grand Sport in the States. With 7 speed manual of course. I miss the torque, throttle response, high end power and sound of a V8. And during track days a well driven corvette is typically one of the quickest cars out there, even when Porsches show up.
2018 Camaro SS 1LE. Because race car!

"Redline a day keeps the mechanics away"
Appreciate 1
SConn180.00
      01-22-2019, 03:13 AM   #10
D22M2
Captain
Rep
Drives: Not a real M Car

Good move … I always felt a little douchy in my Corvette
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2019, 08:09 AM   #11
Tiss'er
Private
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M2 LBB LCI

Interesting, I have been looking into the GrandSport for a while now. Actually may go check one out today at lunch. There are some really appealing reasons for interest in the car, the motor, the chassis, price/performance ratio, etc.. Although I don't much care about what others think, I do think there is a stigma that comes with a Corvette.

However, every time I get in the M2 it just feels right. I have learned that a car is more than just the motor and key performance numbers. The M2 is simply a complete car, such a treat to drive and puts such a large smile on my face, I'm not sure I can find a better car suited for my tastes.

I suspect a lot of my wandering mind is the "grass is greener" mentality. I'm sure if I eventually went to a GrandSport, I would miss the M2 and then desire to have it back. It is nice to see that the both Ford and Chevy can make a competitive sports car.
Appreciate 1
SConn180.00
      01-22-2019, 08:12 AM   #12
detroitm2
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShelJW View Post
FYI, Theres no launch control on the 6MT, only on the DCT.
Appreciate 1
SConn180.00
      01-22-2019, 08:20 AM   #13
detroitm2
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
It has the MPE, which I love, but I wish I didn't have to turn it on with a switch.
The MPE is amazing on the OG M2 with the N55 engine. It sounds great.

I assume you want to always have the flaps open on the exhaust? That'll be super loud on a cold start in the garage!

But if thats what you want, you can just start up the car, open the flaps, then go into the trunk and disconnect the valve controller. Its under the trunk mat on the right hand side of the bottom, opposite from the battery. Should have a little toggle switch on it. Fairly certain if you unplug that, your exhaust valves will stay open 100% of the time.
Appreciate 1
SConn180.00
      01-22-2019, 08:40 AM   #14
Corinne
Captain
France
Rep
Drives: M2 2018 LBB 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiss'er View Post
Although I don't much care about what others think, I do think there is a stigma that comes with a Corvette.
I don't think there's any stigma over here in Europe about Corvettes. To me they look fabulous, although I can't say I know much about them and have never even sat in one. I can't belive the OP selling his after just 1100 miles
2011 Lotus Elise SC, 2002 BMW 330d, 1990 Caterham Super 7 HPC (sold), 1985 Porsche 911 Carrera SC (sold), 1978 Caterham Super 7 (sold), 1972 Triumph TR6 (sold), 1972 Jensen Healey (sold), 1965 Triumph TR4A (sold)
Appreciate 1
      01-22-2019, 10:29 AM   #15
SConn
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.M0NSTER View Post
Congrats on the car! It will be a different experience for sure. Enjoy

To be honest I will likely do the opposite of what you did when my expat assignment ends in 2.5 years. I am enjoying my m2, but I think I will probably sell the it here and buy a Grand Sport in the States. With 7 speed manual of course. I miss the torque, throttle response, high end power and sound of a V8. And during track days a well driven corvette is typically one of the quickest cars out there, even when Porsches show up.
Oh I think you'd love the Vette, honestly. And I may end up with another down the road. Just in an M7 instead. I'll see if I can reduce the size of a couple pics and post it. It had the stage 2 aero, so it really looked aggressive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by D22M2 View Post
Well, I'm a 41 year old female, so I definitely went against the demographic. But what can I say? I'm obsessed with cars! I always just felt like the car was overly excessive. But the reactions I got from people on the streets was really cool. Little kids would wait to watch me drive back around, had people taking pictures. People love Vettes.

I will say I was shocked when someone took a picture of my M2 yesterday!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiss'er View Post
Interesting, I have been looking into the GrandSport for a while now. Actually may go check one out today at lunch. There are some really appealing reasons for interest in the car, the motor, the chassis, price/performance ratio, etc.. Although I don't much care about what others think, I do think there is a stigma that comes with a Corvette.

However, every time I get in the M2 it just feels right. I have learned that a car is more than just the motor and key performance numbers. The M2 is simply a complete car, such a treat to drive and puts such a large smile on my face, I'm not sure I can find a better car suited for my tastes.

I suspect a lot of my wandering mind is the "grass is greener" mentality. I'm sure if I eventually went to a GrandSport, I would miss the M2 and then desire to have it back. It is nice to see that the both Ford and Chevy can make a competitive sports car.
The M2 is a way different car. And so much more practical in many ways. I really think the more I drive it, the more I'll like it. But right now... I'm just still struggling a little with my decision. I have to keep reminding myself why I traded it in the first place! Lol!

Quote:
Originally Posted by detroitm2 View Post
The MPE is amazing on the OG M2 with the N55 engine. It sounds great.

I assume you want to always have the flaps open on the exhaust? That'll be super loud on a cold start in the garage!

But if thats what you want, you can just start up the car, open the flaps, then go into the trunk and disconnect the valve controller. Its under the trunk mat on the right hand side of the bottom, opposite from the battery. Should have a little toggle switch on it. Fairly certain if you unplug that, your exhaust valves will stay open 100% of the time.
Well, that was my thinking, to keep the flaps open all the time as well as keep the sport driving dynamics. I just kinda feel like a commercial airline pilot having to switch all of these buttons every time I start it up. It could be I'm just not used to it yet. I'm sure it'll be habit in a few months and I won't even think about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corinne View Post
I don't think there's any stigma over here in Europe about Corvettes. To me they look fabulous, although I can't say I know much about them and have never even sat in one. I can't belive the OP selling his after just 1100 miles
Hahaha! No argument there. They do look fabulous! One of the most beautiful cars on the road right now, imo. Reminds me of a poor man's Ferrari f12 Superfast.

The 1100 miles is yet another factor in my trading it. That car was so special to me, I never wanted to drive it for fear of rock chips, etc. It brought out a horrible OCD. I just wanted to look at it and pet it and read it stories.
Corinne1171.00
QM287.00
      01-22-2019, 10:40 AM   #16
RocketBoots
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Horse Drawn Carriage

Just FYI, BMW owners have a stigma too

M-car owners are usually a bit different, but still fall victim to the BMW stigma due to the stealth nature of the M's.

Congrats and enjoy!

Also, for rock chips, Paint Protection Film is the way to go. I do a lot of freeway driving and get lots of rock chips. My M2's getting PPF at this very moment
Appreciate 1
SConn180.00
      01-22-2019, 10:57 AM   #17
SConn
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Ok.. Hope these reduced pics work.
Attached Images

QM287.00
heavyD^23684.00
      01-22-2019, 10:59 AM   #18
SConn
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketBoots View Post
Just FYI, BMW owners have a stigma too

M-car owners are usually a bit different, but still fall victim to the BMW stigma due to the stealth nature of the M's.

Congrats and enjoy!

Also, for rock chips, Paint Protection Film is the way to go. I do a lot of freeway driving and get lots of rock chips. My M2's getting PPF at this very moment
Ya, I was considering ppf for the Vette, but I don't have a ton of confidence in our local installers. We live in a fairly small area.

Good news is my M has full hood, front bumper, and mirror ppf! I understand the BMW stigma a little.

It wasn't necessarily the old man with gold chains stigma that bothered me about the Vette. The car just looked like it should be on the track... All the time. The red color didn't help things.

The M2 is super nice, but definitely more subdued styling cues. I feel like I slip under the radar a bit more, ya know?
      01-22-2019, 11:15 AM   #19
LuvMyE92
Occasionally frequent poster
Rep
Drives: CT5V-Blackwing

Quote:
Originally Posted by D22M2 View Post
I've had six Corvettes, and my friends made constant jokes about the gold chains, etc. I got over it. But people that don't know me likely make assumptions.
Quote:
I always just felt like the car was overly excessive.
True that.

Quote:
Ok.. Hope these reduced pics work.
They did. Nice choice in colors on the M2.

My last Corvette was a C7, manual of course, and I've driven enough on the track to know just how incredibly capable those cars are. I've also been in more than one crash, and I've always been concerned about riding around in a plastic car. Being that in the Corvette, my head wasn't any higher than the top of the tires in some pickup trucks concerned me too.

I think you'll enjoy the M2, SConn. Welcome to the club!
Past: E24,E28(3),E34,E36,E37,E38(2),E39(4),E46,E89,E92 (obviously),F01,F06,F10,F30,F87,G12,G30(2),G82(2)
Appreciate 1
SConn180.00
      01-22-2019, 12:10 PM   #20
bluescoupe
motorhead
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

Quote:
Ya, I was considering ppf for the Vette, but I don't have a ton of confidence in our local installers. We live in a fairly small area.

Good news is my M has full hood, front bumper, and mirror ppf! I understand the BMW stigma a little.

It wasn't necessarily the old man with gold chains stigma that bothered me about the Vette. The car just looked like it should be on the track... All the time. The red color didn't help things.

The M2 is super nice, but definitely more subdued styling cues. I feel like I slip under the radar a bit more, ya know?
Congrats on the M2; glad to see another owner who really gets involved in what they drive. With your car pedigree, I'm sure you'll really enjoy it!
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2019, 02:11 PM   #21
SConn
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvMyE92 View Post
I've had six Corvettes, and my friends made constant jokes about the gold chains, etc. I got over it. But people that don't know me likely make assumptions.

True that.

They did. Nice choice in colors on the M2.

My last Corvette was a C7, manual of course, and I've driven enough on the track to know just how incredibly capable those cars are. I've also been in more than one crash, and I've always been concerned about riding around in a plastic car. Being that in the Corvette, my head wasn't any higher than the top of the tires in some pickup trucks concerned me too.

I think you'll enjoy the M2, SConn. Welcome to the club!
Thank you! I appreciate your thoughts, especially coming from a C7 yourself. So true about the lowness of the car, but I also like that. I feel kinda perched up high in the M. Lol! I am really loving this car, though! One of the easiest manuals I've ever driven.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescoupe View Post
Congrats on the M2; glad to see another owner who really gets involved in what they drive. With your car pedigree, I'm sure you'll really enjoy it!
Oh heck ya! I dumped a lot of money into my Vette for the short time I had it. I literally have something being delivered today for it that I ordered before I traded it.

I don't think I'm going to go too crazy on this one, but I've already got Lushwhips floor mats coming and working on buying the M Performance diffuser!
      01-22-2019, 03:05 PM   #22
5.M0NSTER
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE

Quote:
Oh I think you'd love the Vette, honestly. And I may end up with another down the road. Just in an M7 instead. I'll see if I can reduce the size of a couple pics and post it. It had the stage 2 aero, so it really looked aggressive.
Your car looked great! The wheels and the aero gave it more of a mean stance for sure.

I did a lot of driver training for work on Corvettes. I work in the auto industry as an engineer (manager now) for vehicle dynamics systems in chassis controls. Actually even up till this day my land speed record is 186 mph or 299.3 kph on the North- South staraighaway at Milford proving grounds is a C6 Z06. I don't think this record will be broken in any other car anytime soon either.
The M2 has more creature comforts, it has nicer interior, it's easier to live with and easier to dive at the limit. I guess that's what I'm missing. The Vettes and American Muscle cars in general require a lot more driver skill and involvement to go fast. With the M2 it's all easy. I kinda like to work for speed, you know what I mean?

So I also enjoy my M2 in many ways, but compared to the Vette it feels weak to be hones. Plus 'm used to torque EVERYWHERE and power at tip in of the throttle. Wahat is up with a 2s dead spot when you shift gears. 2s for the power to come back when you shift at 6500 rpm is too long in my opinion. NA V8s are instantenious. I miss that a lot.

Hence I want a Vette when I get back to the States.
2018 Camaro SS 1LE. Because race car!

"Redline a day keeps the mechanics away"

Last edited by 5.M0NSTER; 01-22-2019 at 03:12 PM..
Appreciate 1
SConn180.00