BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > N55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > Latest ISTEP flashed.. much improved

10-14-2017, 05:15 PM   #89
ried
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F31, F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by MineralGreyMetallic View Post
Unless there is in fact a change and you failed to notice it.

The margin of human error is the same whether you're evaluating a change or lack of one.
Re-read my post. If you think a change has been made, prove it. Otherwise, nobody cares.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2017, 05:24 PM   #90
CommitConfirm
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: The Bus

Garage List
Appreciate 4
BAN_M2C4154.50
Rick4345469.50
Poochie9099.00
TripleU167.50
      10-14-2017, 05:46 PM   #91
zenmaster
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 M2

We do only have 1 forum member creating threads about major M2 i-step improvements since July, while we have hundreds of other M2 owners who haven't. Also nothing in the press - nada.
Appreciate 2
stefan2346.50
ried791.50
      10-15-2017, 03:57 AM   #92
cookiesowns
;)
Rep
Drives: X5 45e, 535i N54, X3 N55

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenmaster View Post
We do only have 1 forum member creating threads about major M2 i-step improvements since July, while we have hundreds of other M2 owners who haven't. Also nothing in the press - nada.
ISTEP upgrades aren’t common at all. I’ve had an X3 that’s been at the dealer for quite a while and was still on the 2011 ISTEP. I did the flash myself and it was quite a big change. Most noticeable was the EGS for the auto tranny. I suspect the same on the DCT.

While BMW releases ISTEP upgrades it’s not common to have your car upgrades. Definetly the most noticeable changes were the iDrive changes, tho I do feel the car definetly feels different after the update and it just drives nicer. There’s something about it.

Could it be placebo and over exaggerated? Yes.. there’s that possibility. Overall the 503 software is definetly way more refined than the other 2017 I was on. The initial software that came from when my car was produced was ok.

Either way buy a $20 cable and get it done yourself I think for those with NBT EVo the iDrive updates alone are well worth the time. I might be wrong but I feel like the nav integration with KOMBI is slightly better also.
Appreciate 1
      10-15-2017, 10:12 AM   #93
zenmaster
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cookiesowns View Post
Either way buy a $20 cable and get it done yourself I think for those with NBT EVo the iDrive updates alone are well worth the time. I might be wrong but I feel like the nav integration with KOMBI is slightly better also.
What iDrive updates?
What is better with KOMBI?
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2017, 09:22 AM   #94
McPurrs
The deuce gets loose
Rep
Drives: '17 M2 BSM 6MT

Quote:
What iDrive updates?
What is better with KOMBI?
Exactly these questions... what are the changes?
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2017, 11:23 AM   #95
cookiesowns
;)
Rep
Drives: X5 45e, 535i N54, X3 N55

Quote:
Originally Posted by McPurrs View Post
Bluetooth integration improvements. Better Apple CarPlay. Faster navigation responses. All subtle enhancements.

As for KOMBI, I feel like there’s more detail on the navigation arrow display.

Not sure if the temp gauge was always like this but it forsure tracks oil temps more so than water temps on my car. The OK symbol is more so related to water temps however.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2017, 02:19 PM   #96
McPurrs
The deuce gets loose
Rep

Quote:
Bluetooth integration improvements. Better Apple CarPlay. Faster navigation responses. All subtle enhancements.

Not sure if the temp gauge was always like this but it forsure tracks oil temps more so than water temps on my car. The OK symbol is more so related to water temps however.
Carplay uses Wifi once the BT connection handshake takes over. Carplay is also driven by the iPhone that is connected.
Temp gauge has always been a COMBINATION of water and oil temps.

You didn't list any actual release notes from an update. You are telling us it 'feels' this or that. No different than the boost argument.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2017, 06:14 AM   #97
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefan View Post
Blown away that you guys think engine tuning is happening via istep changes. Remember folks, the N55 is maxed out in this car. There's a little left on the table available from aftermarket tuners only. It makes zero sense for BMW to enhance the N55's performance via random software update and even less sense when you consider the Competition is on its way.
Quote:
Quote:
ISTEP upgrades aren’t common at all. I’ve had an X3 that’s been at the dealer for quite a while and was still on the 2011 ISTEP. I did the flash myself and it was quite a big change. Most noticeable was the EGS for the auto tranny. I suspect the same on the DCT.

While BMW releases ISTEP upgrades it’s not common to have your car upgrades. Definetly the most noticeable changes were the iDrive changes, tho I do feel the car definetly feels different after the update and it just drives nicer. There’s something about it.

Could it be placebo and over exaggerated? Yes.. there’s that possibility. Overall the 503 software is definetly way more refined than the other 2017 I was on. The initial software that came from when my car was produced was ok.

Quote:
Quote:

Thanks for the info cookiesowns

It's hilarious to watch a thread where people that have cellular phones , tablets , blu-ray players, hi fi receivers , and various other items that get firmware updates all the time , somehow feel it's impossible for a firmware update in a vehicle to make changes.

I'm ABSOLUTELY in the camp that minor changes and updates occur. The electric steering in the second gen X3 and early F30 definitely were updated via Firmware as well as some of the transmission shifting.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2017, 06:39 AM   #98
PackPride85
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2

The only way to prove this is to do a before/after dyno in the same conditions. These cars run load based tunes so your boost will vary depending on the condition of the car and ambient conditions at that specific time.

I don't know if bootmod3 has released their full tuning software where you can view and modify specific map values, but that would be another option: a before/after check of those values.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2017, 07:58 AM   #99
zenmaster
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Adjuster View Post
Thanks for the info cookiesowns

It's hilarious to watch a thread where people that have cellular phones , tablets , blu-ray players, hi fi receivers , and various other items that get firmware updates all the time , somehow feel it's impossible for a firmware update in a vehicle to make changes.

I'm ABSOLUTELY in the camp that minor changes and updates occur. The electric steering in the second gen X3 and early F30 definitely were updated via Firmware as well as some of the transmission shifting.
Questioning the impossibility of firmware updates? Are you for real?
We're merely asking about the nature of the updates, which is extremely vague considering all the hand waving. It is precisely because we know there are always ongoing, minor updates that it's important to understand what changes were made by them. That is, to know if they are worth the time and effort to flash.
Appreciate 1
bim2er223.50
      10-17-2017, 08:23 AM   #100
CommitConfirm
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: The Bus

Garage List
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2017, 08:40 AM   #101
BruceM
Major
Rep
Drives: '17 6MT MG M2,930,Jag XKR 5.0

I wonder what effect an update would have on a Dinan Stage IV, if in fact this one actually increases max boost pressures by 4-5 lbs? That's the stat that I find hardest to believe on a car with no flash or piggyback. The rest of them are more plausible, although even some of those (like steering feels lighter) are pretty subjective.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2017, 08:45 AM   #102
McPurrs
The deuce gets loose
Rep

4-5 PSI that he pulled out of his ass means nothing. You want us to believe that after the flash the car suddenly makes a third more boost than it normally does. No way. Any not a person who has had this done making the claim will put their money where their mouth is and dyno now? Must be almost winter...
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2017, 09:16 AM   #103
blackholescion
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: MG M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by PackPride85 View Post
The only way to prove this is to do a before/after dyno in the same conditions. These cars run load based tunes so your boost will vary depending on the condition of the car and ambient conditions at that specific time.

I don't know if bootmod3 has released their full tuning software where you can view and modify specific map values, but that would be another option: a before/after check of those values.
Doesn't really matter on a dynojet. Only would have an issue if doing 3+ runs when heat soak sets in. The dynojet will account for the rest (humidity, heat).

However, I too want to see the dyno results. Not about to try to spend $300 to do it myself for no reason.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2017, 09:18 AM   #104
BruceM
Major
Rep
Drives: '17 6MT MG M2,930,Jag XKR 5.0

Quote:
4-5 PSI that he pulled out of his ass means nothing. You want us to believe that after the flash the car suddenly makes a third more boost than it normally does. No way. Any not a person who has had this done making the claim will put their money where their mouth is and dyno now? Must be almost winter...
I'm not sure his ass is the source of the information, unless his boost gauge is up in there .

I feel slightly differently about the dyno business. I don't believe anybody owes us a dyno, exactly. It would be nice, but a before/after dyno would be much better anyway...

Last edited by BruceM; 10-17-2017 at 09:51 AM..
Appreciate 2
McPurrs290.00
Poochie9099.00
      10-17-2017, 02:13 PM   #105
PackPride85
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
You can see boost vary like that anyway if you measured in 40 degree vs 80 degree weather. Stock with zero mods.
Appreciate 1
McPurrs290.00
      10-17-2017, 02:41 PM   #106
XutvJet
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2011 Cayman Base, 2016 M235

Quote:
Originally Posted by PackPride85 View Post
You can see boost vary like that anyway if you measured in 40 degree vs 80 degree weather. Stock with zero mods.
True. It's also load dependent. 1st and 2nd gear won't generate maximum boost. 3rd and above will.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2017, 06:35 PM   #107
stefan
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

Quote:
Please... don't compare a car to a cellphone. Do I really need to get into standards, safety, operating conditions, combustion, marketing, expectations, reliability, cost, etc etc etc etc etc

I think ISTEP firmware will make changes to the idrive system or menus or maybe even lighting/electronics. But engine maps? Timing and boost? No.
      10-17-2017, 08:06 PM   #108
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefan View Post
Please... don't compare a car to a cellphone. Do I really need to get into standards, safety, operating conditions, combustion, marketing, expectations, reliability, cost, etc etc etc etc etc

I think ISTEP firmware will make changes to the idrive system or menus or maybe even lighting/electronics. But engine maps? Timing and boost? No.

Since cel phones are certainly tested with respect to standards, they are tested across a range of operating conditions (including water resistance), there are safety concerns with regards to radio transmissions and power source, there certainly is marketing , reliability issues are a concern for phones... as well as customer expectations......, heck... Even COMBUSTION is a concern.. ( See Samsung Note.) so.. BY ALL MEANS.. knock yourself out and go right ahead and go into standards, safety, operating conditions, combustion, marketing, expectations, reliability, cost, etc etc etc etc etc all you want!

oh wait... you didn't mention government regulation! https://www.fcc.gov/general/specific...lar-telephones

Last edited by M3 Adjuster; 10-17-2017 at 08:22 PM..
Appreciate 1
stefan2346.50
      10-17-2017, 08:22 PM   #109
stefan
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

Quote:
Since cel phones are certainly tested with respect to standards, they are tested across a range of operating conditions (including water resistance), there are safety concerns with regards to radio transmissions and power source, there certainly is marketing , reliability issues are a concern for phones... as well as customer expectations......, heck... Even COMBUSTION is a concern.. ( See Samsung Note.) so.. BY ALL MEANS.. knock yourself out and go right ahead and go into standards, safety, operating conditions, combustion, marketing, expectations, reliability, cost, etc etc etc etc etc all you want!

oh wait... you didn't mention emissions...! - https://www.fcc.gov/general/specific...lar-telephones
Hahaha.. touche..
      11-01-2017, 03:33 AM   #110
bdon_
;-;
United_States
Rep

Updated to F020-17-07-507

I can't comment too much about performance improvements, but I immediately noticed that the reverse camera and sensor beeping now immediately shuts off when pulling it out of reverse (manual in my case). Used to stay on and beep forever unless I moved the car forward or shut off the engine. So, that annoyance is sorted at least.

Exhaust sounds, crackles, and pops, happen just a bit differently than I'm used to. Not better or worse really. Sport+ seems a tad louder, more like MDM (traction) mode. This may all change as the car adapts.

I'm DINAN P2, so I may not fully notice any supposed performance improvements as it's already quite tuned.

Lastly, Apple CarPlay is more responsive on input from the iDrive controller wheel. I used to occasionally have lag and then it would scroll all at once to catch up.

I'll update if i notice more changes or refinements.

Huge thanks to shawnsheridan and cookiesowns for help along the way!

Last edited by bdon_; 11-01-2017 at 03:52 AM..
Appreciate 2
BruceM983.00