BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M2 Forum > Pricing / Ordering / European Delivery / PCD > Dealer Experience - M2 ED Deposit

10-30-2015, 03:04 PM   #1
MadBeamer
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M4

Dealer Experience - M2 ED Deposit

I had quite an interesting encounter with my local dealership. However, since we did come to an agreement of $500 deposit to get on the waitlist to order an M2 when ED becomes available, I don't want to bash them too much, nor give out names. Therefore, the names have been "masked" with Marvel characters. It will make for some fun reading

Me = Captain America
CA/Sales Guy = Loki
New Car Sales Manager = Dr.Doom ( he is also the guy who sold me my current 328i coupe , when he was a CA)

Email#1
Good morning Captain America,

I don't have pricing on the M2 yet. The official build sheets have not been released. I expect them in the next few weeks.
I had two people, one a phone call and one a previous client, who were both looking for information on securing an M2.
If you are interested, I recommend placing a deposit, and if the numbers don't work, you can always back out.
But if we don't get you in line, I think we are less likely everyday of getting you one.
Would you like to put a deposit down and try to secure an allocation?

Best regards,

Loki

Email #2

Hi Loki

sure I can do a deposit.

I understand having a deposit helps get in line, but I am not sure how that works with an allocation as you said ED is not allocated. Therefore what does the deposit mean to me, does it mean you will put my ED order in before someone who doesn't have a deposit?

When you say "if the numbers don't work, I can always back out", how does that translate to when I can back out (if I do). Is it before we do a purchase order, or after? or is it all the way up to finalizing finances or is it upto a production number being issued?

Thanks!
Captain America

Email #3
Hello captain America

It is not exactly as you described. Having a deposit on the allocation allows you to secure the spot.
You would have to put a deposit on an order out build or ED anyway.
We are not selling the allocation to the highest bidder, and I think your email might have hinted at. This is a way to separate the buyers from the 150 high school kids who like to come in, try to get a document stating they are waiting for an allocation, just to look cool to their friends.
With the ED allocation, BMW is not going to run an endless allocation allotment on the M2. They will have a short run, if any. The nice thing is that it doesn't come out of our allocations, but you still need to secure a build and being on a list will help with this. I am happy to try to get you one at anytime. This route might make things easier.

As for the financing, when I indicate you can back out, it would be before your order is placed. We will secure your spot with the deposit, and when the build sheets come out, we will look at the numbers. If it works for you, we will submit your build for production. If the numbers do not work out, we can pull your deposit on the M2 and look at the 4-series instead.
We would not want to place your order, have the car go into production and then have you back out. Everything would be known before we place your order.
Does this make sense?

Best regards,
Loki

Email#4

Hi Loki,

I understand the points you make, and I had no clue kids did that! That's just funny.

I can get a deposit over to you, what amount does it need to be to secure a spot? As I prefer to put down the minimal needed. Please let me know a time / day that works for you.

Looking forward to getting this car with your help.

Thanks!
captain America

Email#5
Good afternoon Captain America,

I got your message. I was out of the office yesterday so I apologize for the late response.
We are happy to put you on the list.
We will fill out the purchase order to the best of our ability, given the limited information on the car, and we will collect a $10,000 deposit.
If for any reason we cannot get you this car, whether through the dealership or European Delivery, the deposit is refundable.
When the build sheets and pricing is released from BMW, we can make the modification to the car to your specifications.
When are you available to come into the dealership?

Best regards,
Loki

Email#6
Hi Loki

I just saw your email.

I work in the financial services industry, therefore depositing 10k of investable money just to be held so that I get a PO in early is not financially responsible for me. As you said in your email below, you are "not selling the allocation to the highest bidder" , therefore am I to assume you need 10k to know I am serious about purchasing this car? Or was the 10k a typo?

The maximum I will put for a deposit is $1000.

I would like to remind that this is a European delivery and doesn't come from your allocation, and if that offer doesn't work for you I will gladly take my business elsewhere.

Thanks !
Captain America

Email #7
Hello Captain America,

I can completely understand your concern over the deposit.
We require a 10 percent deposit on order out vehicles, and we have to ask for this to secure an allocation as well. I know it doesn't make a difference to you, but for the first allocation we were given a $20,000 deposit and all of the i8 allocations were in the same range, so we are asking a lot less here for the same service with you.
If it is not something you are comfortable doing for the M2, that is fine. I completely understand. We can either wait and see if we can get you one, which we will still need a 10 percent deposit, or we always have the 4-series option.
As for the allocation coming from us, this is yet to be determined. It appears the limited addition M-cars might operate a little differently than traditional ED orders, but I don't think this should have any effect on your decision making process. If you would like an M2, we should try to get you one.
Let me know what you would like to do. I am happy to go either way.

Best regards,
Loki

Email#8

I am going to be blunt and say this at the risk of being rude.

For a car estimated to be $51-$60k ; unless you are saying it will be more than a M4; 10% is around $5500. So 10k still doesn't add up. I was not asking for allocation, I was agreeing to being on a waitlist to put a ED order.

Within this time I've already called a couple other BMW dealerships, who are more than happy with $500 -$1000 deposit for a M2 waitlist with ED .

Since you have a different requirement, that doesn't work for me, we can cancel our arrangement immediately. I am not interested in having to to hold 10k to show that I am not one of the "150 high school kids who like to come in, try to get a document stating they are waiting for an allocation, just to look cool to their friends."

Until this point today, your input had been valuable, but I find it hard to trust these numbers. Therefore, I will take my plans to get an M2 , or 435i, and a X3 for my wife elsewhere.

Thanks for your time up to now, and for arranging the test drives last weekend.

Regards,
Captain America

Email #9
Good morning Captain America,

I don't think you were being rude… until you refer to me as untrustworthy. That was pretty uncalled for, but I understand. It is a lot of money to get an incredibly rare car and that made you uncomfortable.
Myself, Loki and this dealership has an incredible reputation and you are aware of this. We have done everything to earn your business. Do a search. See what people say about us versus these other dealerships.
There are more than 320 BMW dealerships throughout the country and there will only be 300 allocations of the M2.
The idea that allocations for ED will not come out of our allotment, has not been confirmed. I cannot imagine that BMW would allow a low production car to get over ran by EDs. This is no different than the M1 production. If that was the case, why wouldn't I order up 30 M2 ED cars and sell them above MSRP on my lot, or pay someone to drive the car for a year and still sell it for $10k above MSRP (Yes, the M1 could have been purchased a year later with 12k miles for $10k above MSRP). I think BMW is smarter than that.
I was already working to try to secure you an allocation, but if you don't want to put down the kind of deposit we requested, as I said we can wait until they start production, and put a deposit down when we have an MSRP and a build. The only difference here is whether you want to secure an allocation before production starts (bigger deposit) or after it starts (10%), which is in a few weeks. Certainly a fair option for anyone.
I cannot imagine a dealership and hour to two hours away is going to give you the type of dedication that you would get from your local dealership. They will have a shortage of allocation too, and I would bet there are more people in Milwaukee and Chicago that want this car then we have in Madison, and maybe they will show you the same appreciation as someone local, but we both know that is most likely not the case.
So, with the exception to the M2 deposit misunderstanding, I believe we have shown you that we are here to help you accomplish your goals and get the car you want. Why would you want to start this process from scratch and try to build a relationship with a dealership two hours away? You will be doing your service here anyway, right? Why not let us get you the car you want?

Email #10

Hi Loki,

Thanks for the reply. I said I don't trust the numbers, and if you want to take that as I don't trust you, your call.

I agree with some of what you say, because it is a rare car, as in a first year production. But I've done enough and more research over the last years to know what is a reasonable deposit to hold a slot for ED. I have friends who've bough multiple EDs , including M4s and M3s. I know the process they've gone through. So if you want to start from scratch with me, you will need to treat me as someone who is serious about this. You kinda lost me earlier on with your high school kids comment, which both me and wife found to be a little unprofessional.

I worked with Dr.Doom, and even he and I had a bit of trouble of the price of the car and I was even upfront with you about, it was my first BMW, I probably didn't help the situation either. But he and I worked it out, and he's been great to deal with. So yes, I like working with your dealership. I absolutely like the service department, they do a wonderful job when I bring my car in. But that brings me to ask the point you made about service. Are you saying if I buy this car somewhere else, you won't provide the same great service you do now for my car? I would really like this clarified.

I still don't agree with your financial requirement of 10%. At this point when I said I don't trust the numbers, I don't trust putting money with you will get me a M2 this year, and it will be huge waste of my time and money. My initial plan was to buy an 435i, and a X3 for my wife. Then M2 rumors came along and i waited. At this point , I am not in hurry to buy anything, we both have cars we love (she has a Mini Cooper S, and we use your sister location to service that) . So , this whole rare car thing is of no difference to me, as I can wait and even buy an M4 next year. I know I can order this car ED with any dealership, and pick it up at the performance center, and avoid even delivery to a dealership 2 hours or 10 hours away. I only need a trust worthy dealer who will put in a ED order for me if and when it becomes available. I am not interested in buying it from dealer allocation. If BMW doesn't offer ED like you said, which can happen considering the low production volume, then I will wait, or buy something else. That is my decision to make , when I feel like making it.

So to summarize, I won't be putting a deposit down. If i do, at this point it will only be for $500, and with written document stating I am on a wait-list for ED if and when it's offered, to buy at ED MSRP. If that doesn't work. let's call this quits, as my schedule is about to get really busy next few weeks, and I don't have time for this back and forth. I am sure you don't want to waste time either.

Thanks !
Captain America

Email #11
Hello Captain America,

How about this, is it fair to say that there might have been a couple comments that were taken out of context or misinterpreted on both ends? I by no means meant to imply the "high schooler" reference referred to you or behave unprofessional. I was simply trying to give you insight as to why we started requiring a deposit on these specialty cars. I mistook the "untrustworthy numbers" comment personal. I see it was just about the numbers.

Of course we will always take care of you and provide the best service possible. We service cars from all over the country and we provide the same level of service to all of our clients. This will not change. We would just like to be your turnkey center and also be the guys who helped you get your car too.

We both have the same goal here and with the exception of the deposit discussion, can we both agree that our working relationship has been a positive and enjoyable one? Please allow me to move this back to the matter at hand and bring it back to a positive level, you want to try to get an M2, if you can't get an M2, you want a 4-series. We would like to help you accomplish this.

I spoke with Dr.Doom about the deposit amount and if you wanted to put down a $500 deposit, he will be fine with that. Please let me know how you would like to proceed.

Thanks again for your time!

Best regards,
Loki

Last edited by MadBeamer; 10-30-2015 at 07:57 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2015, 03:26 PM   #2
OG///M
Always +10MPH
United_States
Rep
Drives: 6MT

So many horrible wrong information in this. Please people don't believe the things some of these dealers say!

To name a few, unless they changed the rules again, pretty sure ED allocation comes from dealer allocations.

M1? really?

and 300 allocation for US? not even remotely possible

Last edited by OG///M; 10-30-2015 at 03:36 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2015, 03:28 PM   #3
chmura
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Competition

He also mentioned that ED allocations do not come from dealer allocation? This is wrong too.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2015, 03:32 PM   #4
hoyasaxa
Captain
Rep
Drives: GTI | 982 4.0

You would buy a car from that guy, after that ridiculous back-and-forth?

Even if ED on non-M cars does not come from dealer allocation (and see above comments suggesting that it does), I have long heard talk that M cars came out of allocation.
      10-30-2015, 03:44 PM   #5
hyperzulu
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i

Yikes... I credit my client advisor as much as my own diligent planning for the success of my Euro delivery. I wouldn't trust my ED to this person.

And M cars are definitely coming out of dealers' allocations. Even the lowly M235i was coming out of dealer allocation for most of its first six month production run, iirc. This car doesn't have much chance at being open season like other models.
      10-30-2015, 04:09 PM   #6
chmura
Colonel
Rep

Not always do M cars comes out of dealer allocations. If a new body style is coming out in a year than BMW might change this.

I purchased my e90 M3 via ED and the car did not come out of the dealer allocation. But this was a rare case.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2015, 04:37 PM   #7
MadBeamer
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Thanks guys for the feedback. After talking to three dealerships. Their feedback has been an ED would be the only way to get one as that won't be coming from a dealer allocation. So I guess, this is bad info?
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2015, 04:55 PM   #8
phoenixbmwlife
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M235i & G30 540i

Garage List
2014 BMW/M235i  [0.00]
Well at least you got what you wanted and your refundable deposit is only $500.

I have to say though I may not have had that much patience with them as you did. Great job in securing your spot and cheers hoping it all works out well.

I would suggest you place another refundable deposit at another location just so that you have options.

Follow me on Insta

https://www.instagram.com/bmwm_life_/
https://www.instagram.com/autogiftua/
https://www.instagram.com/phoenixbmwlife/
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2015, 05:36 PM   #9
Diver
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Black '12 135i - Sold

Thinking about getting in line, but for local delivery.
      10-30-2015, 06:48 PM   #10
M-Pilot
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 981 Cayman GTS

Garage List
Is "300 cars for US" true? I assume this is for the first production year.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2015, 06:57 PM   #11
PackPride85
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2

That dealer is so full of shit I can smell it here in NC. Avoid at all costs.
Appreciate 1
      10-30-2015, 07:02 PM   #12
hyperzulu
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cntzl View Post
Is "300 cars for US" true? I assume this is for the first production year.
Other countries are rumored to receive more allocations than this in the first year. I cannot imagine the US will get fewest when I believe we typically get the biggest share of cars. The UK got around 500 1Ms and the US closer to 800, I think? Not sure total figures, but if the UK is getting more M2s than they got 1Ms, then we will definitely see more roll through here as well.
      10-30-2015, 08:38 PM   #13
hyperzulu
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chmura
Not always do M cars comes out of dealer allocations. If a new body style is coming out in a year than BMW might change this.

I purchased my e90 M3 via ED and the car did not come out of the dealer allocation. But this was a rare case.
The e90 m3 ended production a year before the change took effect. This has been the case ever since, around summer of 2012. If they were able to give a few slots away at the end of the e92/3's production run, I'm not really sure. But the end of production for the e92 did nothing to curb people's appetites for the car one bit as people knew the next iteration would not be sporting a NA V8. I doubt they did but I could be wrong. Either way, that data point might only serve to get someone's hopes up and I wouldn't bet on it being the case for any M car, much less the M2.
      10-30-2015, 09:59 PM   #14
chmura
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyperzulu View Post
The e90 m3 ended production a year before the change took effect. This has been the case ever since, around summer of 2012. If they were able to give a few slots away at the end of the e92/3's production run, I'm not really sure. But the end of production for the e92 did nothing to curb people's appetites for the car one bit as people knew the next iteration would not be sporting a NA V8. I doubt they did but I could be wrong. Either way, that data point might only serve to get someone's hopes up and I wouldn't bet on it being the case for any M car, much less the M2.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOLFFRR View Post

** Also per BMW Euro, ED will not come out of the dealers allocations for the 2013 M3 until Euro runs out.
http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthr...9#post12019229

I did get my car via ED that did not come out of dealer allocation.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2015, 05:23 PM   #15
M-Pilot
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 981 Cayman GTS

Garage List
Yesterday I emailed almost all the dealerships in CA. I'm going to share my conversation with one of them today. So I got a voicemail from the "Fleet Manager & European Delivery Specialist" which I will refer as CA in the dialog below. First, let me copy the voicemail here:

"Good afternoon. Regarding the order, no problem. Number one. We do not charge over MSRP. We do not charge under MSRP. Basically, the MSRP on that vehicle is MSRP and you can choose either lease or purchase. To put your name and qualification on that vehicle, I need to get all your information including a credit application and then I can put you on the waiting list. Or if you have a question give me a call at ..."

These are his own words. I haven't changed anything. As you can see, his English was not very clear but the moment I heard "NUMBER ONE", I thought maybe I will be the first person on their list and immediately called him.

Here's the phone conversation between me and him (CA):

me: Hello , I received your voicemail about my inquiry for M2. I would like get more information and possibly put my name down on the waitlist.

CA: Sure, no problem. What's your question?

me: How many people do you have on your list currently?

CA: It doesn't matter how many people on the list. You will get your car once you are "qualified".

me: No, it's important to me because I don't think you will get let's say 100 M2s next year. Therefore, the number of people on the list will determine when I will get the car.

CA: Well, it doesn't matter. We are the number one dealership in western US. (he was probably referring to being the number one dealership in his voicemail ). There are currently 32 people on the list.

me: Wow 32 is a lot for a waitlist. This is why I wanted to know how many people you guys have on file already.

CA: But not all of them are going to qualify. You might not qualify either.

me: What do you mean by "qualify"? All you need is my credit worthiness and deposit right. How else do you determine if I can qualify?

CA: Let me tell you something. Do you remember the first time M1 came out?

me: M1 or 1M?

CA: M1 or 1M, same thing.

me: Well they are not the same at all. (At this point, the conversation was over for me but I didn't want to be rude and waited for him to finish what type of bs he was gonna say)

CA: I got 7 allocations for that car. I had a huge waitlist. When we asked for $5K deposit, only 2 people showed up.

me: Ok, thank you very much for all the information. I decide to put my name down, I'll give you a call.

It is just hilarious to see how someone can become a Fleet Manager/ED Specialist by not knowing the difference between M1 and 1M on top of all other bs.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2015, 05:31 PM   #16
shivaswrath
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i

This isn't a GT4 is what I would've said to Loki!

M Performance Exhaust/Brakes/Suspension/LSD|Bav Stage 1/AMP||ER CP/IC/DP/OC | Dinan CAI/N55 PWG BIG TURBO|BMWF30.com
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2015, 08:30 PM   #17
JSP///M4C
Speedster
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4C Sakhir Orange

Garage List
2018 BMW M4 Comp  [0.00]
2011 BMW 335is  [6.00]
Take your business elsewhere. He was trying to run a racket on you. I would have stopped after the second email.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2015, 08:02 AM   #18
W///
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: F82GTS, E36/E92M3, Z4M

What a bunch of clowns. So he went from a $10k deposit to a $500 just like that. Wow
07 E85 Z4M Roadster, Alpine White/Red, 6MT
99 E36 M3, Techno Violet/Dove Grey, 6MT
Appreciate 2
      11-02-2015, 11:14 AM   #19
IEDEI
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: L'Orange

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [8.40]
Quote:
Originally Posted by W/// View Post
What a bunch of clowns. So he went from a $10k deposit to a $500 just like that. Wow
he probably would have gone down to $5 after a few more emails!

car salesmen = lol
Appreciate 2
      11-02-2015, 11:37 AM   #20
MadBeamer
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by IEDEI View Post
he probably would have gone down to $5 after a few more emails!

car salesmen = lol
He did reduce to $500, but I absolutely don't have any confidence this deposit will mean anything
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2015, 11:39 AM   #21
IEDEI
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: L'Orange

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [8.40]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadBeamer View Post
He did reduce to $500, but I absolutely don't have any confidence this deposit will mean anything
well a deposit means whatever is written that it means. I would suggest if you want it to mean something you draft up a little letter yourself and have him sign it.....or ask their office to write up a letter specifying what the deposit is and the terms.

Once signed or agreed upon; it becomes whatever you agree upon.

I have left deposits on cars before and have specified what the deposit is for and they handwrote those things on the receipt for the deposit.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2015, 12:24 PM   #22
Kracken
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 AW 135i DCT M Sport

"As for the financing, when I indicate you can back out, it would be before your order is placed. We will secure your spot with the deposit, and when the build sheets come out, we will look at the numbers. If it works for you, we will submit your build for production. If the numbers do not work out, we can pull your deposit on the M2 and look at the 4-series instead.
We would not want to place your order, have the car go into production and then have you back out. Everything would be known before we place your order.
Does this make sense?".....

I'm not in an ED situation but My dealer said I can back out even after the car arrives regardless of how I option it. They said they would have no problems moving it if I decided to back out saying its no sweat off their backs, someone will buy it that same day probably. No deposit either & MSRP promised.

Let's see if it pans out this way... So far so good. #1 on list since 4/14. Be a 2 + year wait by the time it arrives....
Appreciate 1