this is the way
Rep
Drives: N-1 starfighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.M0NSTER View Post
Besides, BMW tells you many things.

Always obey posted speed limits
Only use BMW oil and fluids
Oil changes every 25000 km or 2 years are ok, but will cost you an arm and a leg
M2CS is worth almost $90k
60 weight oil is ok for winter use on low clearance V8 M3

Some make sense and some don't. Have to make our own choices sometimes.
Oil change intervals are every 10k miles or 1yr, which ever comes first. 10k miles is 16k km. Not sure where you get the 25k km or 2yrs. Oil changes do not cost an "arm and a leg".
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2020, 12:19 PM   #24
5.M0NSTER
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megator View Post
Love it!

Your 1st paragraph is 100% correct and what you should do. Personally I think taking it to 7k+ rpm is too much and I stuck under 5k rpm. I have no oil consumption and power seems to be good (just as fast as my friends S55 cars).

People talk a lot about RPMs but that is only half the story. 7k RPM with no/little load is less harmful than full accel at 1.5k RPM up a hill. The load on the engine is critical.

You can use the sport display gauges to know how much TQ/load you are applying. I would and did not do 100% TQ before the break in service. But I did increase it as the KMs were put on so went from max 20% load to max 80% load.

5.0 Monster if you ever plan to cross the border and try out Assen or Zandvoort let me know as I would love to meet up.
Thanks brother! I would love to. At some point this year I will visit Amsterdam, but I likely won't be able to experience the 2 track you mentions. We have a young daughter, and the deal I made with my wife is that I do day trips for track days, no overnight stuff.

Perhaps we could meet half way at Spa Francorchamps in Belgium?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tag View Post
Oil change intervals are every 10k miles or 1yr, which ever comes first. 10k miles is 16k km. Not sure where you get the 25k km or 2yrs. Oil changes do not cost an "arm and a leg".
In US, sure, but not it Europe. Here it's 2 years or 25000 km. I did my last oil change in April of 2019. It cost me 700 Euro by the way. Which is an arm and a leg, and even the left testi.

I've done ~7000km or so since then, including 3 track days at some of the worlds best F1 circuits, and my I-drive is telling me service is due 04/2021 or in 18000km.

Why are the drain intervals so different? Time is time, miles are miles. 10k makes sense, but 15.6k miles? And the engines are identical, how come BMW recommends such different intervals?

Also what oil is recommended in the US? Here it's 0W-40 BMW LL
2018 Camaro SS 1LE. Because race car!

"Redline a day keeps the mechanics away"

Last edited by 5.M0NSTER; 01-23-2020 at 12:38 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2020, 12:50 PM   #25
Tag
this is the way
Rep
Drives: N-1 starfighter

Quote:
In US, sure, but not it Europe. Here it's 2 years or 25000 km. I did my last oil change in April of 2019. It cost me 700 Euro by the way. Which is an arm and a leg, and even the left testi.

I've done ~7000km or so since then, including 3 track days at some of the worlds best F1 circuits, and my I-drive is telling me service is due 04/2021 or in 18000km.

Why are the drain intervals so different? Time is time, miles are miles. 10k makes sense, but 15.6k miles? And the engines are identical, how come BMW recommends such different intervals?

Also what oil is recommended in the US? Here it's 0W-40 BMW LL
0W-30 for the US. I'm surprised if your interval is 25k km or 2yrs and find that difficult to believe. Also find it hard to believe it cost 700 EUR. If so I'd imaging 90% change the oil themselves.

Artemis, is this really the case in Belgium?
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2020, 01:29 PM   #26
warrenw
Food Critic
South Korea
Rep
Drives: 19 AW M2C, 21 M340i

My commute is 9 minutes long and I'm up to temp by the time I get there, but it's mostly freeway...Warms up in 4 minutes or so of freeway driving.
      01-23-2020, 02:14 PM   #27
MMMBRAP
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: A Car

Quote:
The break-in period is not primarily for the engine, it's for the entire drivetrain as well. That's why they specifically layout in the owner's manual not to use launch control during break-in. It's a new car and the entire powertrain's moving parts need to "bed in" properly. Use common sense, as the car warms up you can rev it higher, but don't exceed the 5,500 rpm during break-in, etc. If you accidentally go over 5,500 rpm, it's not a big deal. Even after the 1,200 break-in you shouldn't go WOT right away. Slowly ease into it over the next few hundred miles. Once the pain of break-in is over you can beat the snot out of your car with peace of mind it's been broken in properly.
Agreed with this. There's been a couple times I accidentally went over 5K (but below 6K; this was a couple months after I just got the car and was still getting used to it), but it was always after optimal engine temps have been achieved.

I made sure to be a bit more careful about it afterwards and I haven't had another mishap since.

Quote:
Thanks brother! I would love to. At some point this year I will visit Amsterdam, but I likely won't be able to experience the 2 track you mentions. We have a young daughter, and the deal I made with my wife is that I do day trips for track days, no overnight stuff.

Perhaps we could meet half way at Spa Francorchamps in Belgium?

Am I missing something here? We get free maintenance for 3 years or 36K miles, whichever comes first.

https://www.bmwusa.com/explore/bmw-v...onditions.html

Last edited by MMMBRAP; 01-23-2020 at 02:20 PM..
Appreciate 1
Moflow2484.50
      01-23-2020, 02:52 PM   #28
5.M0NSTER
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE

Quote:
0W-30 for the US. I'm surprised if your interval is 25k km or 2yrs and find that difficult to believe. Also find it hard to believe it cost 700 EUR. If so I'd imaging 90% change the oil themselves.

Artemis, is this really the case in Belgium?
I can find the receipt if you really want to see it. In Germany having "full service history" is very important for resale value. If you can't show your car has been serviced by BMW (or whoever the OEM is) you need to lower your price by 25%. And I will be selling mine in a year and a half before I go back to US, so it is important for me to maintain the value.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMMBRAP View Post

Am I missing something here? We get free maintenance for 3 years or 36K miles, whichever comes first.

https://www.bmwusa.com/explore/bmw-v...onditions.html
I think you only have that option here if you lease the car. I could be wrong though. No free service for me, I asked before I shelled out.
2018 Camaro SS 1LE. Because race car!

"Redline a day keeps the mechanics away"
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2020, 03:15 PM   #29
Megator
Captain
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition

Quote:
I can find the receipt if you really want to see it. In Germany having "full service history" is very important for resale value. If you can't show your car has been serviced by BMW (or whoever the OEM is) you need to lower your price by 25%. And I will be selling mine in a year and a half before I go back to US, so it is important for me to maintain the value.

I think you only have that option here if you lease the car. I could be wrong though. No free service for me, I asked before I shelled out.
Service plans exist in NL at least. I got one as its was cheap in comparison. Run in cost was almost half the price for 6 years fluids and filters.

Spa is also very doable. Zandvoort is only like 40min by train from dam
      01-23-2020, 07:11 PM   #30
MMMBRAP
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: A Car

Quote:

Oh man I never realized that. You're right it's only for US customers. It is very weird to me that they don't offer that in Europe.

From the link I shared:

These maintenance programs are available to the exclusive benefit of the initial purchaser, owner, or lessee of a new vehicle, sales demonstrator vehicle, Aftersales Mobility Program vehicle, or BMW Group company vehicle from an authorized BMW center in the United States (including Puerto Rico).
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2020, 05:29 PM   #31
ROASTM
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '20 M2C; '06 M3; '07 JKU

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMMBRAP View Post
By this do you mean exceeding 5K RPMs which the Owners Manual explicitly tells you NOT to do?

The manual says keep it under 5.5k RPMs.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2020, 10:53 PM   #32
MR RIZK
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: AW M2C

Shorter trips will increase the chance of % fuel dilution in the oil and not the best thing for a car during the break in period.
      01-26-2020, 07:39 PM   #33
aeroglava
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M2C, SOM, 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR RIZK View Post
Shorter trips will increase the chance of % fuel dilution in the oil and not the best thing for a car during the break in period.
Unfortunately there's not much I can do about that as my daily driver.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2020, 07:44 PM   #34
AlpsRider
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition, LBB, 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeroglava View Post
Unfortunately there's not much I can do about that as my daily driver.
That's true, but you could take a trip during the break-in period.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2020, 08:13 PM   #35
aeroglava
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M2C, SOM, 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpsRider View Post
That's true, but you could take a trip during the break-in period.
Oh yeah definitely plan on taking it out on longer drives on the weekend.
Appreciate 0