BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > N55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > Review: FTP Motorsports M2 Boost+Charge pipes

10-10-2018, 02:12 AM   #45
dj2020
Private
Rep
Drives: M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nezil View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by dj2020 View Post
Nezil
Just wanted to reconfirm with you and others, the CSF intercooler works with the FTP boost and charge pipes? No issues with the intercooler inlet/outlet angle or width? Using the O rings that came with the CSF intercooler or the OE rings? Also, the original CSF intercooler mounting hardware issues have been addressed?

Thanks!
The CSF intercooler fits fine, and I am using the FTP boost and charge pipes with it. I did find that I had to put the stock O rings into the FTP parts rather than use the X Rings that come with the FTP. There was no way I could get the FTP Boost pipe to fit with the green X-ring.

It's also really annoying to get the angles of the parts correct, particularly at the rubber unions.

I'm going to be removing all of this before I take my car for a service next month, and bought a QuickJack to do the work this time, rather than using jack stands like I did before.
Thanks for the quick reply! No detectable boost leaks running OE O rings with FTP boost pipe and intercooler inlet?

Btw, you'll love the QuickJack! Stable and safe.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2018, 12:16 AM   #46
Nezil
Major
Rep
Drives: LCI '18 6MT M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by dj2020 View Post
Thanks for the quick reply! No detectable boost leaks running OE O rings with FTP boost pipe and intercooler inlet?

Btw, you'll love the QuickJack! Stable and safe.
I'm not sure about boost leaks, but I don't think so. I've posted logs with this setup a few months back, and would think that with all the analysis that was done of those logs by PTF and other forum members, if I'd had a boost leak, it would have been suggested.

Current Performance Mods:
CSF FMIC, ER CP, Fabspeed Cat, Aquamist WMI, GFB DV+, NGK 97506, BM3 (Stage 2 93 OTS), CDV delete, UCP, M2C/M3/M4 Strut Brace, M3/M4 Reinforcement Rings
Appreciate 1
dj202093.50
      02-26-2019, 10:27 AM   #47
Anthony1s
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2018 Mineral Grey M2

Anyone have an issue with it being loose where it connects to the turbo? My mechanic told me about it yesterday. FTP's response:

"if It's a bit loose~~ because the whole pipe is not locked
Try pushing the pipe to the turbo ,then locking the clamp
Basically ~ that will not leak"

My mechanic said it snugged up after he snugged up the other end of the pipe to the intercooler, but before doing that, it wasn't as tight as the factory boost pipe. He's gonna smoke test it just to be sure there aren't any leaks.

Also, my kit was missing an o-ring and clip. FTP was fast to respond and is overnighting me them, so it's all good, but double check your kit when you receive it.

Last edited by Anthony1s; 02-26-2019 at 10:35 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2019, 05:23 PM   #48
Yellowflash21
First Lieutenant
Slovenia
Rep
Drives: M2

I got ftp charge pipe + boost pipe kit few weeks ago, while we had a chance to install it today and test it out.

The charge pipe kit arrived in perfect condition while the boost pipe was little bit damaged, but FTP sales folks manage to send me a brand new in just one week.

Until the charge pipe and boost pipe was installed this was my car setup:

Forge IC, Wagner 200cell downpipe and & KN filter. (stock map)

I was running this setup in the past 1 year without change, and the mods were added gradually.

So, each time we add something we would feel some kind of improvement!

The first performance mode that was installed on this back in 2017 June, was 200 cell downpipe, while KN filter and IC were installed in March 2018.

The downpipe itself totally transformed the car, and IC just made the whole car to perform better and to be more consistent on the track.

The charge and boost pipes were next on my list, as I do plan to run very conservative remap in the future and to clear CEL which is caused by 200cell downpipe.

To be honest with you, I didn't expect to feel to much difference with just change to the charge pipe and boost pipe. But oh boy, the car throttle responsive is way better in low RPM and a little bit at the top.

I would strongly recommend to anyone who plans to keep their M2 on the longer terms, as its cheap and great overall mode!

My advise, dont spend $$$ on silly intakes get god damn c+b pipes!
Appreciate 2
      04-06-2019, 10:42 AM   #49
JKen_0115
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017_M2

This is great place to learn lots real experience from the member. I put the trigger to order FTP Charge, Boost and Inlet Pipe together with my Stage 2 setup, the overall result went well and have a fitment with my stock turbo and CSF IC. Thanks for the tip from Nezil in advance but turned out my tech can get both CSF IC and FTP charge pipe fitted well without using OE gasket, I guess it's about the tolerance situation as Nezil suspected before.

The throttle response has been increased and the car pulled smooth thru the power band, I would highly recommend to consider this upgrade in terms of reliability to support the stage 2 setup in the long run. They're the good quality products without any doubt plus the package came with all required task, Oring etc which you have the entire new set to pretend the leaking. I was in the defense to decide if I had to pay more or stay the cheaper one, I definitely would stay this decision. FTP Motorsport is very responsive and I only waited 2 days to receive the package. They packed all individual item well without any defect.

Again, thanks for this informative forum and lots sharing from the members here. See some good quality product picture. If you're interested, you can send the email from FTP Motorsport website directly, they're super responsive to get back for you.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-07-2019, 02:27 PM   #50
Cristian135
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Bmw m2

Could you measure the diameter of the intake pipe oem vs ftp?
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2019, 02:04 PM   #51
Cristian135
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Bmw m2

Any news?
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2019, 07:08 PM   #52
JKen_0115
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017_M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cristian135 View Post
Any news?
Sorry I didn't measure but Inlet pipe is the same size as OEM.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2019, 08:09 AM   #53
squixs
Second Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Just got a FTP chargepipe + boostpipe kit delivered for my M2. How did you guys made sure to properly secure the bolts for the meth bungs? I'm not going to use them and I want to make sure they won't come loose. I'm not seeing a o-ring or anything in these screws.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2019, 09:02 AM   #54
Anthony1s
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by squixs View Post
Just got a FTP chargepipe + boostpipe kit delivered for my M2. How did you guys made sure to properly secure the bolts for the meth bungs? I'm not going to use them and I want to make sure they won't come loose. I'm not seeing a o-ring or anything in these screws.
Mine were screwed in when it came. Never touched them or tried to take them out. No leaks so far.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2019, 06:18 PM   #55
Nezil
Major
Rep

Mine were also screwed in, and were hex head screws with a rubber o-ring attached. I too was concerned about leaks, so I wrapped the threads with a lot of thread sealant tape (for plumbing) and that seemed to work. In the latter time of using the charge pipe I had WMI so I was using the bungs for their intended purpose.

I have a feeling that the screws shipped with the unit aren't tapered thread, which is why they never tighten properly. Whoever buys the FTP pipe that I'm selling will get both the stock FTP screws and some proper tapered plugs as well. If I were installing again today, I'd buy some tapered plugs and install them. I'll post a link to plugs when I find them; they shouldn't be expensive.

CSF FMIC, ER CP, Fabspeed Cat, Aquamist WMI, GFB DV+, NGK 97506, BM3 (Stage 2 93 OTS), CDV delete, UCP, M2C/M3/M4 Strut Brace, M3/M4 Reinforcement Rings
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2019, 06:37 PM   #56
Nezil
Major
Rep

Here's the link to some on Home Depot that will work: https://www.homedepot.com/p/Everbilt...2299/207176244

Also Amazon has some that will probably look a little nicer: https://www.amazon.com/1-8-npt-plug/...F8%22+npt+plug

MIP (Male Iron Pipe) is the thread that fits into NPT (National Pipe Taper), so you can search for MIP or NPT.

Appreciate 0
      12-10-2019, 08:31 AM   #57
XutvJet
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2011 Cayman Base, 2016 M235

Thread locker is all you need.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2019, 09:04 PM   #58
gphung
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 LBB - 6MT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Mine were also screwed in, and were hex head screws with a rubber o-ring attached. I too was concerned about leaks, so I wrapped the threads with a lot of thread sealant tape (for plumbing) and that seemed to work. In the latter time of using the charge pipe I had WMI so I was using the bungs for their intended purpose.

I have a feeling that the screws shipped with the unit aren't tapered thread, which is why they never tighten properly. Whoever buys the FTP pipe that I'm selling will get both the stock FTP screws and some proper tapered plugs as well. If I were installing again today, I'd buy some tapered plugs and install them. I'll post a link to plugs when I find them; they shouldn't be expensive.
Great tip. Curious why you're getting rid of the FTP pipe though.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2019, 10:49 PM   #59
Nezil
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gphung View Post
Great tip. Curious why you're getting rid of the FTP pipe though.
The main reason is the location of the upper meth bung. It's pretty close to the TMAP sensor and reads artificially low if it gets blasted with meth at low flow. This can and has caused a drivetrain malfunction once, but only once.

I'm switching to another pipe that has the bungs further upstream closer to the intercooler.

If you're not running meth, there is absolutely nothing wrong with the FTP, and I'm selling my low milage one at a bargain price!

Appreciate 0
      01-07-2020, 03:24 AM   #60
Harrison kayy
Private
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Project_F87 View Post
What's going on guys, I partnered up with FTP Motorsports to review their M2 boost + charge pipe upgrade kit.

Firstly, I would have to say their shipping is the fastest I have ever experienced, especially since they shipped from Taiwan to my home in southern California. Upon receiving the delivery, I analyzed all of the parts and they were absolutely flawless. Beautifully machined out of aluminum and covered in a rough black powder coating. Inside and out, the parts had no defects. The company makes all of these parts in Taiwan.

The installation of the parts was not bad, only took about 2 hours with the help of a friend. The charge pipe was a simple installation, and the boost pipe was a bit more difficult due to all of the piping on the left side of the engine bay surrounding the turbo. The fitment to the OE ports was absolutely perfect. Snapped right into place and clamped very easily. The sensors transferred very easily to the charge pipe via machined ports. The kit came with all of the hardware and extra O-rings and clips. There are meth ports just in case anyone wants to add that type of fueling.

My buddy that was helping me even said the fitment was better than he expected, as he paid much more for his charge pipe set and the fitment was not as perfect as this set from FTP.

Overall, I am very pleased with the charge pipe set from FTP Motorsports. Amazing quality and finish, superb fitment, fast shipping, and low pricing.

I have attached pictures of the parts and installation. Let me know if you have any questions!

My instagram is @Project_f87 in case any of you want to follow my build.

How did you find the charge pipe and price ? I’m leaning towards IPE titanium ones atm.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2020, 09:06 AM   #61
digimattic
Private
Rep
Drives: 2017 6MT LBB M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrison kayy View Post
How did you find the charge pipe and price ? I’m leaning towards IPE titanium ones atm.
Hey bud - welcome to the forum. Looks like you're looking for S55 bolt-ons which is in another section.

Having said that, it looks as though that IPE is just the Charge Pipe, whereas FTP also includes the boost pipe. No idea how much the IPE costs, but the FTP is about $815 AUD at today's rates.
Appreciate 2
      02-07-2020, 12:47 PM   #62
squixs
Second Lieutenant
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Here's the link to some on Home Depot that will work: https://www.homedepot.com/p/Everbilt...2299/207176244

Also Amazon has some that will probably look a little nicer: https://www.amazon.com/1-8-npt-plug/...F8%22+npt+plug

MIP (Male Iron Pipe) is the thread that fits into NPT (National Pipe Taper), so you can search for MIP or NPT.
Thanks for the suggestion! Im wondering how one would make sure that the screw/plug is properly tightened, since it doesn't have a 'T' shape to it. Or would it fasten by itself since it's a tapered design. Also, isn't there any danger of the plug falling through?

Im planning on installing the chargepipe this month, i'm also looking for black T-bolts, but cannot find them in the correct diameters..

Last edited by squixs; 02-07-2020 at 12:56 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2020, 12:53 PM   #63
Nezil
Major
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for the suggestion! Im wondering how one would make sure that the screw/plug is properly tightened, since it doesn't have a 'T' shape to it. Or would it fasten by itself since it's a tapered design.

Im planning on installing the chargepipe this month, i'm also looking for black T-bolts, but cannot find them in the correct diameters..
I’m not sure what you mean by a T-Bolt, but if you mean that the head is wider than the threaded section (a T-Shape in profile?), that that’s not relevant. If a bolt is used to hold something together, the head is important, but that doesn’t create an air tight seal. For a air tight seal, the seal is created in the threads. Tapered threads get tighter as you screw them. You know when they’re properly tightened because they get tight to turn. If there is a head, like on the stock bolts, the head determines how far in they can screw, and in my case they were still loose when the head prevented further turning. The head is a hindrance!
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2020, 01:33 PM   #64
squixs
Second Lieutenant
Germany
Rep

Quote:
I’m not sure what you mean by a T-Bolt, but if you mean that the head is wider than the threaded section (a T-Shape in profile?), that that’s not relevant. If a bolt is used to hold something together, the head is important, but that doesn’t create an air tight seal. For a air tight seal, the seal is created in the threads. Tapered threads get tighter as you screw them. You know when they’re properly tightened because they get tight to turn. If there is a head, like on the stock bolts, the head determines how far in they can screw, and in my case they were still loose when the head prevented further turning. The head is a hindrance!
Thanks, that makes sense, regarding the bolts. I'll try to find them in black on Amazon.

Regarding the 't-bolts', I made a mistake, I actually meant T-Clamps.
I don't like the worm-gear clamps that came with the chargepipe, so I'm trying to find Black (anodized) T-Camps, like:
https://bit.ly/2tDK5QN

I'm trying to find them in the same size as your Vibrant t-clamps, but so far without luck..
I've found these, but they're not the exact same sizes as yours.
https://www.iq-parts-shop.com/en/mik...clamp-bla.html
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2020, 02:09 PM   #65
Anthony1s
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Thanks, that makes sense, regarding the bolts. I'll try to find them in black on Amazon.

Regarding the 't-bolts', I made a mistake, I actually meant T-Clamps.
I don't like the worm-gear clamps that came with the chargepipe, so I'm trying to find Black (anodized) T-Camps, like:
https://bit.ly/2tDK5QN

I'm trying to find them in the same size as your Vibrant t-clamps, but so far without luck..
I've found these, but they're not the exact same sizes as yours.
https://www.iq-parts-shop.com/en/mik...clamp-bla.html
https://www.amazon.com/Aluminum-Sock...1106117&sr=8-4

Are these the black plugs you're looking for?
Appreciate 1
squixs109.00
      02-09-2020, 01:17 PM   #66
squixs
Second Lieutenant
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony1s View Post
https://www.amazon.com/Aluminum-Sock...1106117&sr=8-4

Are these the black plugs you're looking for?
yes thank you!
Appreciate 0