BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > N55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > Intercooler and charge pipe?

02-19-2018, 09:39 PM   #23
Orange fever
Colonel
Thailand
Rep
Drives: E36M,E46M,E90M,X5M,i3,M2,i8

Tried everyway to find the best price for both items... Was just going to get aa cps(only cold side) bcuz x-ph had a deal... But found two other m2 guys using (ptf cps) it too...
if you guys are looking for an upgrade on your charge pipes. don't look no further. Quality on these are perfect /// Charge pipe and Boost pipe aka cold and hot side.... FTP motorsport ftw!!!

BMW I12 i8 Frozen Yellow- H&R springs, 22" Radenergie F10 Monoblock Forged ///
F87 M2 Aw -Vorsteiner Aero Kit, VFF-107,Macht Schnell-Springs,VF-Engineering/Hex tuning Stage Two,ER DP,Stock Exhaust,Drop-In Bmc Filter,AA Intercooler,FTP Charge pipe+boost pipe/// Wish list :Mexico delivery 2024 BMW M2 (G87)
Appreciate 2
NO_USER_537.50
Yiruna393.50
      02-19-2018, 09:56 PM   #24
SeanWRT
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 & F87 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yiruna View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanWRT View Post
One of my friends' m2 had his cp broken in early 2017 on jb4 map 6 running just as much boost as every other tune does today.

We call his car our 'm2 test car', because he has absolutely no respect for the machine and would try whatever available to explore the limit of power. And only fix what breaks.

A lot of valuable stuff learned thru our extensive(brutal) testing on it the entire year (he and I), what works, what part makes power (truth may surprise many) and what psi stock turbo is comfortable with etc.

CP is kind of thing should be done prior to anything else even on a stock car with no mods in plan.

This test car didn't do it earlier because we always cheap out on it, using cheapest available parts, and abuse it as much as humanly possible. But what doesn't kill it only makes it stronger. It's been the quickest standing to 62mph(100kph) m2 in China at 3.88sec. Mod when getting that time = knockoff ic + knockoff cp + knockoff 200-cell cat + JB4 custom map on pump gas. And oh, RE71R 19 35 265 tire. This wasn't the most aggressive setup we did of course.

BTW, on this setup, 1/4 mile was 12.05@117mph, not impressive but good enough to walk 99% of M2 out there I guarantee you that. It's a blessing of us (ok me) to have this test car.
What boost level did it break at?

I was gonna keep mine stock but I figured I would do it before I do Stg 2 turbo. Didn't you install a stage 2? Or was it just the dinan

What does your M2 0-60 run come in to?
18psi was when our test car CP broke. But I'm sure it's more about boost build up rate than peak boost.

My best 0-62 time is 4.0X. Power seems less relevant, all about grip. Our test car has yet to reproduce a 3.XX since fitted with meth. His Bridgestone doesn't grip as well as when new LOL
      02-19-2018, 10:04 PM   #25
Yiruna
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2, C63s, 718 Cayman GT4

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
One of my friends' m2 had his cp broken in early 2017 on jb4 map 6 running just as much boost as every other tune does today.

We call his car our 'm2 test car', because he has absolutely no respect for the machine and would try whatever available to explore the limit of power. And only fix what breaks.

A lot of valuable stuff learned thru our extensive(brutal) testing on it the entire year (he and I), what works, what part makes power (truth may surprise many) and what psi stock turbo is comfortable with etc.

CP is kind of thing should be done prior to anything else even on a stock car with no mods in plan.

This test car didn't do it earlier because we always cheap out on it, using cheapest available parts, and abuse it as much as humanly possible. But what doesn't kill it only makes it stronger. It's been the quickest standing to 62mph(100kph) m2 in China at 3.88sec. Mod when getting that time = knockoff ic + knockoff cp + knockoff 200-cell cat + JB4 custom map on pump gas. And oh, RE71R 19 35 265 tire. This wasn't the most aggressive setup we did of course.

BTW, on this setup, 1/4 mile was 12.05@117mph, not impressive but good enough to walk 99% of M2 out there I guarantee you that. It's a blessing of us (ok me) to have this test car.
What boost level did it break at?

I was gonna keep mine stock but I figured I would do it before I do Stg 2 turbo. Didn't you install a stage 2? Or was it just the dinan

What does your M2 0-60 run come in to?
18psi was when our test car CP broke. But I'm sure it's more about boost build up rate than peak boost.

My best 0-62 time is 4.0X. Power seems less relevant, all about grip. Our test car has yet to reproduce a 3.XX since fitted with meth. His Bridgestone doesn't grip as well as when new LOL
Hmm... Would the new Michelin 4s be better or a straight up R-Spec race tire? Which do you recommend?
      02-19-2018, 10:14 PM   #26
SeanWRT
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 & F87 M2

New PS4S is in the same league of PSS, not comparable to RE71R. Off topic mate!
      02-19-2018, 10:23 PM   #27
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

Quote:
Originally Posted by brooke1972 View Post
Dude show me one instance where a oem chargepipe has Failed on an M2.
This is going to be another classic Charge Pipe thread I can feel it. I was reading one not too long ago on some other bimmerpost subthread where this guy was going on and on about how he didn't need to upgrade his after running more boost. Cut to like a couple weeks later and he's hat in hand trying to get someplace to overnight a Charge Pipe to him because his plastic one busted.

Rekt http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...3&postcount=47

Not an M2 though so who knows.

Last edited by akkando; 02-19-2018 at 10:40 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2018, 10:46 PM   #28
Yiruna
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by akkando View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by brooke1972 View Post
Dude show me one instance where a oem chargepipe has Failed on an M2.
This is going to be another classic Charge Pipe thread I can feel it. I was reading one not too long ago on some other bimmerpost subthread where this guy was going on and on about how he didn't need to upgrade his after running more boost. Cut to like a couple weeks later and he's hat in hand trying to get someplace to overnight a Charge Pipe to him because his plastic one busted.

Rekt http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...3&postcount=47

Not an M2 though so who knows.
Better safe than sorry in my book
      02-19-2018, 10:47 PM   #29
Yiruna
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
New PS4S is in the same league of PSS, not comparable to RE71R. Off topic mate!
My bad, my bad.

Anyways, for the charge pipe, at least the ER one that you have (correct me if I'm wrong), it looks cool but is it worth the extra price premium over other ones?
      02-19-2018, 11:32 PM   #30
NO_USER_
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: .

Quote:
My bad, my bad.

Anyways, for the charge pipe, at least the ER one that you have (correct me if I'm wrong), it looks cool but is it worth the extra price premium over other ones?
I've had both ER and FTP Motorsports charge pipes (hot and cold sides)....get FTP, comes with all new O-Rings and C-Clips. Crazy fast shipping too.
Appreciate 2
Yiruna393.50
      02-19-2018, 11:35 PM   #31
Yiruna
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by tehboost View Post
Quote:
My bad, my bad.

I've had both ER and FTP Motorsports charge pipes (hot and cold sides)....get FTP, comes with all new O-Rings and C-Clips. Crazy fast shipping too.
Hmmm, might do this, does Mike sell them, do you know?
      02-19-2018, 11:38 PM   #32
NO_USER_
Captain
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
I don't think he does, I tried to get him to tho (check his site to make sure)...but you can get it from Bavauto (American distributor) or FTP themselves (that's what I did) arrived in 1.5 days idk how lol...and the owner Kayo is super nice! He'll take care of you.
Appreciate 1
Yiruna393.50
      02-19-2018, 11:45 PM   #33
NO_USER_
Captain
No_Country
Rep

Although, perhaps SeanWRT can explain further...I don't think the hot side (boost pipe, turbo to intercooler) needs to be upgraded? If you see it, it's pretty good. Only thing is, it's flexible/rubbery not sure if that would compress under vacuum or something or affect performance? But in terms of diameter, it's probably the same as an aftermarket one. ALSO, it's smooth straight thru...unlike ER/FTP which are two pieces which can cause uneven/turbulent flow (if you want to take it to that level lol)...

I upgraded it however, but looking back...not sure if necessary? Thoughts?
Appreciate 2
Yiruna393.50
      02-19-2018, 11:46 PM   #34
Yiruna
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
I don't think he does, I tried to get him to tho (check his site to make sure)...but you can get it from Bavauto (American distributor) or FTP themselves (that's what I did) arrived in 1.5 days idk how lol...and the owner Kayo is super nice! He'll take care of you.
Where do they ship from? The website.com end link is .tw, so from Taiwan?
      02-19-2018, 11:51 PM   #35
Orange fever
Colonel
Thailand
Rep
Drives: E36M,E46M,E90M,X5M,i3,M2,i8

Quote:
Where do they ship from? The website.com end link is .tw, so from Taiwan?
Yes from Taiwan.

Was sketchy about ordering stuff overseas but the process went through so easy and delivery was fast, great service. Got my in 2 days just woo

BMW I12 i8 Frozen Yellow- H&R springs, 22" Radenergie F10 Monoblock Forged ///
F87 M2 Aw -Vorsteiner Aero Kit, VFF-107,Macht Schnell-Springs,VF-Engineering/Hex tuning Stage Two,ER DP,Stock Exhaust,Drop-In Bmc Filter,AA Intercooler,FTP Charge pipe+boost pipe/// Wish list :Mexico delivery 2024 BMW M2 (G87)
Appreciate 3
NO_USER_537.50
Yiruna393.50
      02-19-2018, 11:52 PM   #36
Yiruna
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Although, perhaps SeanWRT can explain further...I don't think the hot side (boost pipe, turbo to intercooler) needs to be upgraded? If you see it, it's pretty good. Only thing is, it's flexible/rubbery not sure if that would compress under vacuum or something or affect performance? But in terms of diameter, it's probably the same as an aftermarket one. ALSO, it's smooth straight thru...unlike ER/FTP which are two pieces which can cause uneven/turbulent flow (if you want to take it to that level lol)...

I upgraded it however, but looking back...not sure if necessary? Thoughts?
Does the ER one that Mike sells come with the boost pipe? Or is it just the charge?

I think it'll only be worth it if I go to stage 2 turbo, so end game it'll be necessary. But I don't think I'll go stage 2 turbo anytime soon? Depends on what I want out the car.

Honestly stage 2+ (car not turbo) is probably the best for general needs. I do plan on reducing weight with CF body panels (depends if I decide to go through with the 718 GT4)
      02-20-2018, 12:15 AM   #37
NO_USER_
Captain
No_Country
Rep

Yes ships from Taiwan like orange fever said ships instantly...literally less than 2 days for mine! Perfect quality, not sketch at all!!!

For ER it’s two separate products, Charge Pipe and TIC pipe. Maybe there’s a bundle now?

Highly suggest swapping out the charge pipe (cool side), and if you’re getting an intercooler it’s a no brainer!
Appreciate 2
Yiruna393.50
      02-20-2018, 01:00 AM   #38
Yiruna
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Yes ships from Taiwan like orange fever said ships instantly...literally less than 2 days for mine! Perfect quality, not sketch at all!!!

For ER it’s two separate products, Charge Pipe and TIC pipe. Maybe there’s a bundle now?

Highly suggest swapping out the charge pipe (cool side), and if you’re getting an intercooler it’s a no brainer!
Two days from Taiwan is crazy; yeah that's the plan. After that and stage 1(2) turbo I'll be done. Then it's just suspension work from there
      02-20-2018, 09:03 PM   #39
NO_USER_
Captain
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Two days from Taiwan is crazy; yeah that's the plan. After that and stage 1(2) turbo I'll be done. Then it's just suspension work from there
We always say we're done, but next thing you know you're chasing more power LOLOLOL.

I thought I was done...

Right now I'm in the boat of do I upgrade the turbo? Or attempt to run an E85 blend (~E30) hoping the HPFP can keep up....

I SERIOUSLY considered meth, did a lot of research but I am not sold on the fail safes of the various controllers lol. That's just my opinion.

Here's my build, not sure if you've seen it?

http://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1437086
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2018, 10:19 PM   #40
1MSept11
Rep
Drives: 1M Coupe

Morning all,

My Stock M2 charge pipe blew last night. Car has done little over 40000km and is 2 years old. Off to BMW for a replacement but im going to see if they will fit an aftermarket metal piece and keep the warranty. Unlikely.

I live in the Middle East and at the moment its 43 degrees during the day, not sure if that has any impact.

The car is 100% stock. Pretty disappointed with it blowing after such a short time.

Can anyone recommend a good reasonably priced metal aftermarket charge pipe? I was looking at the Active Autowerk piece.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2018, 10:13 AM   #41
m2rs4_official
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike@x-ph.com View Post
Do you plan on adding downpipes in the future? If not then yes it will be an overkill.

Wagner EVO I will be the best option followed by VRSF HD and Active Autowerke
Awesome... thats the setup I run with a full catless turbo back exhaust. Wagner Competition and VRSF Chargepipes. They're really decent build quality and priced well.

Proud owner of Amelia & Rae. Yes, I named my vehicles
2018 BMW M2 LCI (Wedge Performance Tuned + Pure Turbo Stg 2 Upgrade)
2019 Audi RS4 Advant
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2019, 07:23 AM   #42
adesalos
Rep
Drives: ferrari challenge stradale

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1MSept11 View Post
Morning all,

My Stock M2 charge pipe blew last night. Car has done little over 40000km and is 2 years old. Off to BMW for a replacement but im going to see if they will fit an aftermarket metal piece and keep the warranty. Unlikely.

I live in the Middle East and at the moment its 43 degrees during the day, not sure if that has any impact.

The car is 100% stock. Pretty disappointed with it blowing after such a short time.

Can anyone recommend a good reasonably priced metal aftermarket charge pipe? I was looking at the Active Autowerk piece.
Thanks
My stock CP blew as well 2 weeks ago, while on track. 25000 miles. Car is completely OEM. My dealer was willing to install aftermarket, but could get it to him in time, so I am back wit OEM CP. it will break again in the future...
Thinking to change IC with CP next time. No turbo or tune planned. I live in Houston, and it gets pretty hot on the track... thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2019, 03:08 AM   #43
stroker15
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 328I Sportline

I tried ordering a CSF Intercooler last week for my F30 and they are on backorder. I'm wondering if they've been on backorder since 2018? I tried emailing CSF but it bounced because their inbox is full?? Strange. What company doesn't bother checking their inbox? info@csfrace.com

Has anyone been able to get a CSF intercooler recently?
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2019, 03:16 AM   #44
Poochie
Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by adesalos View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1MSept11 View Post
Morning all,

Thanks
My stock CP blew as well 2 weeks ago, while on track. 25000 miles. Car is completely OEM. My dealer was willing to install aftermarket, but could get it to him in time, so I am back wit OEM CP. it will break again in the future...
Thinking to change IC with CP next time. No turbo or tune planned. I live in Houston, and it gets pretty hot on the track... thoughts?
Keep two 4 inch clamps and a coupler in your trunk to bandage it up incase it pops again, until your warranty expires and no more freebies or until you're ready to upgrade to an aluminum pipe.

Here is what's in my stash:
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
M2RAW121.00