BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M2 Forum > Pricing / Ordering / European Delivery / PCD > Availability of M2 over 2series product life cycle

10-26-2015, 10:50 AM   #1
BMWFAN001
Rep
Drives: M135i

Availability of M2 over 2series product life cycle

A lot of the discussions around here with respect to ordering seem to evolve around the issue of getting the car as soon as possible.

My situation is different as i would prefer to buy/lease the M2 next year or maybe the year after as i just got a very sweet deal on a used low mileage M135i which i bought for use as a daily driver.

Now here comes the issue: i am not sure if the availability of M2s will be better 2016 or 2017 compared to now. So far i only heard that the M2 is not a limited production vehicle and planned global production is supposed to be around 11.000 units. Do you guys know if this is actually confirmed?

I asked my local dealer about that issue but the sales rep just told my a lot of BS about having inquired with BMW HQ and that they would not want to confirm the planned production numbers and that i should order right away. The leasing offer he gave me was really bad (leasing factor of around 1,5!).

So bottom line, i am under the impression that BMW is trying to limit M2 availability in order to keep prices high.

Is there any intel about the planned production numbers and the fact if these will be increased if demand is higher than anticipated? Or in other words: is this a regular M model which is produced along the life cycle of the 2series or is this a limited thing like the 1er M Coupé?

Many thanks for your input!!!
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2015, 11:44 AM   #2
flyaway
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: entry level M car,nothing more

I'm kind of interested in the same subject, even if my situation might be slightly different.

I'm not especially in a hurry, but I would like to acquire another (more specialized) car for WE/track use and keep it like a future classic, enjoying my current non LCI M135i (that I love more each day) as a daily.

Personally, I think the M2 limited production is "non official" marketing BS from BMW, and as an enthusiast (and old BMW client) I'm starting to become very disappointed by the general direction of the company. The M2 might be in this regard my last BMW, and only if I'm offered a good deal by the dealer, as the official price is not justified. If not, as far as I'm concerned, for 57000 euros (or more less) there are plenty of (performance configurable) options (Megane RS Trophy, new Focus RS, Elise S Cup, Porsche Cayman with the 2.7 boxer 6, before the facelift next year).

P.S. "So bottom line, i am under the impression that BMW is trying to limit M2 availability in order to keep prices high" - you're not the only one, "keep calm and carry on"

Best regards

Last edited by flyaway; 10-26-2015 at 12:42 PM..
Appreciate 2
      10-27-2015, 07:10 PM   #3
PackPride85
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2

No BMW official has ever stated that the car is limited vs not limited or how many they plan on producing. Everything you read on here is speculation or based off some of the forum insiders.
Appreciate 1
      10-27-2015, 10:22 PM   #4
OG///M
Always +10MPH
United_States
Rep
Drives: 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWFAN001 View Post
A lot of the discussions around here with respect to ordering seem to evolve around the issue of getting the car as soon as possible.

My situation is different as i would prefer to buy/lease the M2 next year or maybe the year after as i just got a very sweet deal on a used low mileage M135i which i bought for use as a daily driver.

Now here comes the issue: i am not sure if the availability of M2s will be better 2016 or 2017 compared to now. So far i only heard that the M2 is not a limited production vehicle and planned global production is supposed to be around 11.000 units. Do you guys know if this is actually confirmed?

I asked my local dealer about that issue but the sales rep just told my a lot of BS about having inquired with BMW HQ and that they would not want to confirm the planned production numbers and that i should order right away. The leasing offer he gave me was really bad (leasing factor of around 1,5!).

So bottom line, i am under the impression that BMW is trying to limit M2 availability in order to keep prices high.

Is there any intel about the planned production numbers and the fact if these will be increased if demand is higher than anticipated? Or in other words: is this a regular M model which is produced along the life cycle of the 2series or is this a limited thing like the 1er M Coupé?

Many thanks for your input!!!
All you need to know,

Quote:
Originally Posted by ynguldyn View Post
August 2015 Update:

M140i / M240i (MY2017) will add ~15hp compared to the B58 output in non-M-performance cars, similar to what M135i offered above regular x35i models.

Expect Wifi hotspots to become an option in MY2017 1/2/3/4 series cars.

Apple CarPlay is definitely coming in 2016-2017.

OLED will find its way to production models, will be called "BMW Organic Light".

So, to clarify:

2016 M2 - not LCI
2017 230i and M240i - not LCI, just new engines, plus whatever parts BMW adds across the board for the new model year (in this case wifi hotspot)
2018 230i and M240i - LCI with engines introduced a year earlier.
2018 M2 will get new LCI design features in the places that it shares with regular 2er cars. Whether it will also be called LCI, is unknown - BMW is very inconsistent in that regard when it comes to M cars.
http://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=901686
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2015, 02:01 AM   #5
BMWFAN001
Rep

Thanks for your input, guys!

Francis///M, i take it from the post you cited that the M2 is not a limited production run. Otherwise, a 2018 M2 LCI would not make sense. So, even though this is not an official information i will try to to hold still and wait until the first M2 hype is over.

Will be hard to wait though. Based on the fun i have with the M135i, i can imagine that the M2 will be a real blast...

Thanks again for your thoughts!
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2015, 04:24 AM   #6
M2GB
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 911 and M2

Hello

It is not a limited edition car, but production volumes are limited, due to factory constraints. In the UK only 400ish cars are coming in year 1, and they are already sold out.

So its hard to say exactly
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2015, 09:32 AM   #7
OG///M
Always +10MPH
United_States
Rep
Drives: 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2GB View Post
Hello

It is not a limited edition car, but production volumes are limited, due to factory constraints. In the UK only 400ish cars are coming in year 1, and they are already sold out.

You are correct. The number of units produced will depend on production constraints but there should not be a finite number (ie. 400 units and that's it) to limit the production. Also there should be more available for the next 2-3 years to come.

So just like any other new M on the block, if you want to be the first ones to get it you gotta pay for it. But for the ones who wait you get better deals and LCI
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2015, 12:21 PM   #8
Kracken
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 AW 135i DCT M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2GB View Post
Hello

It safe to say it's sold out in the US too with the current waitlists. At least for the first MY and the following years to an extent depending on production numbers and people bailing off the list for various reasons...
Real curious to know what total production will be:
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2015, 09:12 AM   #9
BMWFAN001
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kracken View Post
It safe to say it's sold out in the US too with the current waitlists. At least for the first MY and the following years to an extent depending on production numbers and people bailing off the list for various reasons...
It should actually be easy to calculate that to some extent if one multiplies the number of cars that can be produced in a day/week by the timeframe during which the M2 will be manufactured. I was at another local BMW dealer today and was told production will be stopped in 2/2018. So another 28 months of production. Does sound a lot but probably not.

The also told me that the German market is getting 950 cars in the first production year.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2015, 06:47 PM   #10
hyperzulu
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i

Quote:
It was safe to say that the i8 would be $25k over MSRP and have pretty good resale value before it came out too. It did for a while. Lurk over on those forums now and you'll find deals going for well under MSRP.

BMW will likely ramp up production after the first year, making it more available and easing competition between buyers. The car will also lose the new car novelty it has in its first six months. There will be competition and newer cars on the horizon that people will lust after.
      11-04-2015, 08:22 PM   #11
fuddman
Major
Rep
Drives: 528-maybe

Quote:
It safe to say it's sold out in the US too with the current waitlists.
Were are you coming up with this wild spec? "Safe to say?" Did you count every dealers waitlist?
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2015, 10:05 AM   #12
BMWFAN001
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyperzulu View Post
It was safe to say that the i8 would be $25k over MSRP and have pretty good resale value before it came out too. It did for a while. Lurk over on those forums now and you'll find deals going for well under MSRP.

BMW will likely ramp up production after the first year, making it more available and easing competition between buyers. The car will also lose the new car novelty it has in its first six months. There will be competition and newer cars on the horizon that people will lust after.
Thanks for you thoughts. I really hope your expectations will become reality.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2015, 09:05 AM   #13
Kracken
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 AW 135i DCT M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuddman View Post
Were are you coming up with this wild spec? "Safe to say?" Did you count every dealers waitlist?
Wild? Not really....For the first MY being short with the late introduction, it's a safe bet they are all spoken for via the waitlists generated many months before its release. Just my opinion. If they don't ramp up production for the remaining years, as an example, some of the folks on Austin's long 50 or so waitlist may never get one.
Another thing to consider is just wait until the unsuspecting general public is made aware of the M2 at the Detroit show combined with all the write ups in magazines...waitlists are bound to go through the roof imho...

Last edited by Kracken; 11-08-2015 at 09:22 AM..
Appreciate 0