BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > M2 M Performance Suspension and Vorshlag Camber plates - which one?

06-23-2020, 02:32 PM   #23
lax01
Major
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Fifty View Post
That's the one. Although - alignment aside - I have the tools to do it myself.
Was there actually a DIY posted? Not that it matters...going with camber plates seems far easier haha
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2020, 07:00 AM   #24
M Fifty
Banned
Rep
Drives: M2 & 330CI

https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/f...nt-suspension/
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2020, 08:52 AM   #25
Yadadameans
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F87 M2 Competition

Have you tried contacting Voshlag to see what they say?
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2020, 09:23 AM   #26
Bee Pee
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: AW M2 DCT

Quote:
I take it back - having gone and looked at mine again.

The black 'nut' is the hex on the top of the shaft, with the BMW locknut on the threaded section below.

The F22 - i think - uses the smaller diameter damper rod with an M12 nut, while the M2 uses M14. I'm fairly sure I saw a picture where someone was trying to fit incompatible parts and used a couple of washers to make it work.

I got mine in 2017. It came with Nyloc nuts for the strut. I used the BMW items instead.
Correct

F2x / F3x strut tops have an m12 nyloc type lock nut (requires 19mm AF socket)

F8x strut tops have an m14 nyloc type lock nut (22mm AF socket)

These lock nuts are single use.

Current '22 X3M LCI..
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2020, 09:26 AM   #27
M2joey
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2, 335is, X5 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by lax01 View Post
Sorry, not sure what you mean by OEM Strut - perhaps we aren't talking about the same thing - the strut is definitely KW-based for the M Performance Suspension: https://www.bimmerworld.com/Suspensi...nsion-Kit.html

While KW did build the MPS for BMW. The MPS was made to be installed with the OEM strut and OEM camber plates. So, if you order aftermarket camber plates you will need OEM struts.

I ordered Ground Control plates - OEM/Stock - as I was installing them with OEM suspension. When I had the MPS installed, I did not need new struts as the MPS requires OEM/Stock strut. If I install Ohlins, I would need a strut that works with Ohlins. The "KW" should mean that they would be used with an official KW kit, not MPS. Although, they could be the same, in this case.

https://groundcontrolstore.com/colle...-caster-plates

Just contact Vorshlag, they will tell you.
      06-24-2020, 12:07 PM   #28
M Fifty
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2joey View Post
While KW did build the MPS for BMW. The MPS was made to be installed with the OEM strut and OEM camber plates. So, if you order aftermarket camber plates you will need OEM struts.

I ordered Ground Control plates - OEM/Stock - as I was installing them with OEM suspension. When I had the MPS installed, I did not need new struts as the MPS requires OEM/Stock strut. If I install Ohlins, I would need a strut that works with Ohlins. The "KW" should mean that they would be used with an official KW kit, not MPS. Although, they could be the same, in this case.

So, in the picture in your post: which parts do you think are the OEM struts?

Secondly, BMW don't supply camber plates, so how would you intend to use same when fitting the MPS?

Last edited by M Fifty; 06-24-2020 at 12:09 PM.. Reason: Additional question
Appreciate 1
Kankles1484.50
      06-24-2020, 12:41 PM   #29
lax01
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yadadameans View Post
Have you tried contacting Voshlag to see what they say?
Yeah, they are just going to send both the 19 and 22mm top nut with the plates (for the camber plates meant for the M Performance Suspension (KW)...will report back if I have any problems

I guess I'm just generally confused as there has been contradicting information on the board...but who knows as my suspension was Port installed so that may be the one unknown variable in this
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2020, 01:59 PM   #30
M Fifty
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Yeah, they are just going to send both the 19 and 22mm top nut with the plates (for the camber plates meant for the M Performance Suspension (KW)...will report back if I have any problems

I guess I'm just generally confused as there has been contradicting information on the board...but who knows as my suspension was Port installed so that may be the one unknown variable in this
...and relax...

The Nyloc nuts that came with the kit were M14 thread with a 22mm AF hex. The BMW nuts are also M14, but the design means you don't need as much metal. Hence a smaller multipoint socket fits.

HTH
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2020, 03:53 PM   #31
lax01
Major
Rep

Quote:
...and relax...

The Nyloc nuts that came with the kit were M14 thread with a 22mm AF hex. The BMW nuts are also M14, but the design means you don't need as much metal. Hence a smaller multipoint socket fits.

HTH
hah - I did everything I can (to my knowledge) to ensure I'm not creating a headache for the shop installing them...I'm sure they will be good
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2020, 02:45 PM   #32
M2joey
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
So, in the picture in your post: which parts do you think are the OEM struts?

Secondly, BMW don't supply camber plates, so how would you intend to use same when fitting the MPS?
You need to learn how to read! Nevermind, you don't understand.
      06-25-2020, 03:06 PM   #33
mcgarnigle
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M2C

Quote:

Ummmm WAT.

The strut is the shock/damper. The MP Coilovers replace the OEM struts with the threaded MP Coilover struts (made by KW).

The camber plate variant required for various suspension kits depends on the type of spring. The spring type that comes with the MP Coilovers is a "stock" type spring. Ohlins coilovers come with a non-progressive non-oem style spring.
Appreciate 2
lax01792.50
Kankles1484.50
      06-25-2020, 04:58 PM   #34
M Fifty
Banned
Rep

Quote:
You need to learn how to read! Nevermind, you don't understand.
If you were to fit the KW HA kit, it uses the OEM front struts and top mounts. But, as the picture shows, the MPS comes with new front struts with threaded lower spring platforms. They are designed to work with the OEM top mounts, but don't require the reuse of the OEM struts.

So maybe if you could try to disambiguate my understanding of the bit you wrote about how "The MPS was made to be installed with the OEM strut and OEM camber plates"

HTH...

Last edited by M Fifty; 06-26-2020 at 01:54 AM.. Reason: Punctation
Appreciate 2
lax01792.50
Kankles1484.50
      06-30-2020, 12:50 PM   #35
M2joey
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
If you were to fit the KW HA kit, it uses the OEM front struts and top mounts. But, as the picture shows, the MPS comes with new front struts with threaded lower spring platforms. They are designed to work with the OEM top mounts, but don't require the reuse of the OEM struts.

So maybe if you could try to disambiguate my understanding of the bit you wrote about how "The MPS was made to be installed with the OEM strut and OEM camber plates"

HTH...
The original question is about what the correct strut is for the MPS with after market camber plates. Even though KW built the kit for BMW, it is meant to be installed with the OEM parts that exist on the car. That means when you want to use the kit with aftermarket camber plates you would want - OEM.

Yes, I installed aftermarket camber plates to use with the OEM shock / strut first. Then, had the MPS installed without needed anything else. So, OEM strut!
      06-30-2020, 01:01 PM   #36
M Fifty
Banned
Rep

Nope. Look at the picture. Plus the KW/MPS dampers have stainless steel bodies rather than the aluminum used in the OEM struts. HTH

Last edited by M Fifty; 06-30-2020 at 01:54 PM.. Reason: grammar
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2020, 02:14 PM   #37
lax01
Major
Rep

Quote:
The original question is about what the correct strut is for the MPS with after market camber plates. Even though KW built the kit for BMW, it is meant to be installed with the OEM parts that exist on the car. That means when you want to use the kit with aftermarket camber plates you would want - OEM.

Yes, I installed aftermarket camber plates to use with the OEM shock / strut first. Then, had the MPS installed without needed anything else. So, OEM strut!
I think you are just confused - the MPS does not use the OEM strut - which as described by M Fifty is technically different because its built from KW components - but the MPS does use the OEM shock mount / hat. It's possible that BMW speced and instructed KW to build the strut to have the same diameter and thread-pitch as OEM so that they could utilize the same strut mount / hat. I have no idea who built the OEM strut but I assume its Sachs or another OEM provider

Vorshlag even has different options for "OEM" - meaning the OEM Strut/Shock/spring combination and the M Performance Suspension - see attached image

So I would think, if you order the "OEM strut type" from Vorshlag (specifically) and then switched to the MPS, you would have to change the top nut(s) or potentially the spring perch
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-03-2020, 07:40 PM   #38
lax01
Major
Rep

Update - Apparently mine were 22mm top nut but if you are in my same position, just ask Vorshlag to send both sets of hardware/nuts
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2020, 10:32 AM   #39
Yadadameans
Private First Class
Rep

Vorshlag has put in an option for you to get both set of hardware nuts now.

https://vorshlag-store.com/collectio...32225379844158
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2020, 11:13 AM   #40
lax01
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yadadameans View Post
Vorshlag has put in an option for you to get both set of hardware nuts now.

https://vorshlag-store.com/collectio...32225379844158
hah nice...wonder if they were reading the threads
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2020, 12:02 PM   #41
Yadadameans
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
hah nice...wonder if they were reading the threads
I've been talking to one of the lead engineers that a few of us were having this uncertainty haha
Appreciate 1
lax01792.50
      08-17-2020, 12:41 PM   #42
eeyang92
Captain
Rep
Drives: LBB M2 LCI 6MT

I just installed the plates onto my M2, and it was indeed the larger nut (but I'm guessing this can vary as I've seen installation guides on forums that mention the smaller size too).

The only thing that tripped me up about the install is that you 100% have to use an impact gun and pulse it a few times to install the new top nut (+ blue loctite) - there isn't any easy way to hold the shaft in place in order to torque wrench. I did confirm with Vorshlag and they said this is the way to do it.

So far nothing has fallen off and no weird noises - there is some noise when going over really "rattlely" roads, but smooth otherwise - but we'll see if it holds on my upcoming track day lol
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2020, 12:53 PM   #43
lax01
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by eeyang92 View Post
So far nothing has fallen off and no weird noises - there is some noise when going over really "rattlely" roads, but smooth otherwise - but we'll see if it holds on my upcoming track day lol
Mine have been completely silent...no issues at all

Car feels great
Appreciate 1
eeyang92318.50
      08-17-2020, 12:57 PM   #44
M Fifty
Banned
Rep

Well, if you have an impact gun seems fair.
Appreciate 0