BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in | Oil & Fluids | Servicing | TSB | Recalls > E85 Cold Start Tips?

01-05-2022, 07:34 AM   #1
AdventureNoodle
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F87 BMW M2 LCI

Hey everyone, I'm running full E85 in my N55 M2 LCI in Dallas (do not attempt this on an OEM pump, I have a Dorch Stage 2) and the temps are now dipping below 50 degrees. I just wanted to see if anybody knew how to prime the pumps a little extra so I don't sit here for 5 seconds waiting for the car to crank and catch haha. Thank you!
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2022, 06:19 AM   #2
AdventureNoodle
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdventureNoodle View Post
Hey everyone, I'm running full E85 in my N55 M2 LCI in Dallas and the temps are now dipping below 50 degrees. I just wanted to see if anybody knew how to prime the pumps a little extra so I don't sit here for 5 seconds waiting for the car to crank and catch haha. Thank you!
UPDATE: looks like the car learns the correct start up mix after a couple of fire ups. It fires up like perfectly normal as a result. Very happy with modern tech lol.
Appreciate 1
      01-09-2022, 12:02 PM   #3
ZM2
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 LBB M2

Quote:
UPDATE: looks like the car learns the correct start up mix after a couple of fire ups. It fires up like perfectly normal as a result. Very happy with modern tech lol.
The issue will come back after the car sits outside in cold weather. Nothing can be done, it’s just part of running E85.

E85 below a certain temperature won’t vaporize quick enough and will not allow the car to even start at all. This is around 0F, and as you blend down this threshold increases.

Having run E85 blends thru several winters, I’ve found the best general rule of thumb to not experience 5-10sec cold starts for me is to match the Emix to the ambient temp. Meaning E30 for 30F, E40 for 40F, E50 for 50F, and any mix above 60F starts fine.

I’m currently working on the new BM3 Stg 2+ E50 beta map with Halim and I have E51 in the tank and the average daytime temps this week are 20-30F, so hopefully I don’t kill my battery trying to start up!

It’s also becoming a challenge just to have enough grip even for a 4th gear pull bc we’re likely >550wftlbs and I’m still running 4S’s! I hate to drop $1k on some DWS 06 Plus tires just for the couple months of decent cold weather here to get enough grip, especially since I’ll probably just back down to E30 anyways after helping to dial in this OTS map, simply because of the ethanol cold start issue!

Last edited by ZM2; 01-09-2022 at 12:08 PM..
Appreciate 1
      01-09-2022, 12:05 PM   #4
AdventureNoodle
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZM2 View Post
Quote:
The issue will come back after the car sits outside in cold weather. Nothing can be done, it's just part of running E85.

E85 below a certain temperature won't vaporize quick enough and will not allow the car to even start at all. This is around 0F, and as you blend down this threshold increases.

Having run E85 blends thru several winters, I've found the best general rule of thumb to not experience 5-10sec cold starts for me is to match the Emix to the ambient temp. Meaning E30 for 30F, E40 for 40F, E50 for 50F, and any mix above 60F starts fine.

I'm currently working on the new BM3 Stg 2+ E50 beta map with Halim and I have E51 in the tank and the average daytime temps this week are in the 20-30s F, so hopefully I don't kill my battery try to start up.

It's also becoming a challenge just to have enough grip even for a 4th gear pull bc we're likely >550wftlbs and I'm still running 4S's! Hate to drop $1k on some DWS 06 Pluses just for the couple months of decent cold weather here to get enough grip, especially since I'll probably just back down to E30 anyways after helping to dial in this OTS map simply because of the ethanol cold start issue!
Yuuuuuuup. Surprisingly my car has started with E80 in the tank after it cranks for about 5 seconds.

Now I just gotta make sure it's fine after that superknock scare I had …
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2022, 06:39 PM   #5
ShortSides
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M2

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Hey everyone, I'm running full E85 in my N55 M2 LCI in Dallas (do not attempt this on an OEM pump, I have a Dorch Stage 2) and the temps are now dipping below 50 degrees. I just wanted to see if anybody knew how to prime the pumps a little extra so I don't sit here for 5 seconds waiting for the car to crank and catch haha. Thank you!
Awww snap! A fellow Dallas native! Im up in Stonebriar
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2022, 07:19 PM   #6
AdventureNoodle
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShortSides View Post
Quote:
Awww snap! A fellow Dallas native! Im up in Stonebriar
Aye! I'm not far away. I'm right on Coit and Main lol
Appreciate 1
samsamdar584.50
      01-21-2022, 04:04 AM   #7
samsamdar
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: OG M2

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [6.67]
Quote:
lol you losers are still in the Dallas area
      01-21-2022, 07:53 AM   #8
AdventureNoodle
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by samsamdar View Post
Quote:
lol you losers are still in the Dallas area
Bro our rendezvous spot is literally your driveway lmao

Also get a Dorch Stage 2 lol
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2022, 01:22 AM   #9
tiago719
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F87 OG M2

Quote:
It's a part of running E85 on cold weather
My M2 is full stock but my Gtr is on flex fuel and in the winter i run lower ethanol mix to help with cold startup.
Also i never let the fuel sit above E30.
I live in switzerland
Appreciate 0