BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > N55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > M2 finishes in Park in Neutral?

03-13-2023, 05:21 PM   #1
Stevieno1
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M2

M2 finishes in Park in Neutral?

I've had my M2 LCI for about a month. The guy at the dealership told me to put it in Park, you just cut the engine whilst in gear - Reverse or Drive. He showed me if you cut the engine in Neutral you get a prompt warning you to put the car in gear to stop it rolling and that the doors won't lock, that it will toot the horn to warn you you've not put the car in Park.

Sounds simple enough.

Tonight I cut the engine in Neutral and got the warning on the dash and the centre console. When I pressed the start/stop button a 2nd time to turn off the power, on the dash the gear changes from 'N' to 'P' - and I can lock the car. Is this meant to happen?

Also does it matter what gear I use for Park? Like in a manual car if I'm parked on an incline I'd put it in 1st and downhill put in reverse to stop it rolling. Is this the same for a DCT or does it matter?
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2023, 05:58 PM   #2
ShortSides
First Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
I was told to put it in neutral, raise the E brake and then press the start/stop button 2 times.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2023, 06:46 PM   #3
Kikuchiyo
Private
Japan
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 LCI, LBB, 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevieno1 View Post
Also does it matter what gear I use for Park? Like in a manual car if I'm parked on an incline I'd put it in 1st and downhill put in reverse to stop it rolling. Is this the same for a DCT or does it matter?
I suppose gear of higher ratio (1st or reverse) is recommended in order to generate higher resistance against rotation of the drive train.
However I am not sure if the direction (forward or backward) matters when the engine is not running.
I always put the gear (6MT) in reverse regardless of the direction of inclination.
      03-13-2023, 07:22 PM   #4
Stevieno1
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShortSides View Post
I was told to put it in neutral, raise the E brake and then press the start/stop button 2 times.
So thats exactly what I did tonight and doing this puts the car in Park. Kinda makes the 'roll away' warning pointless.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2023, 08:09 PM   #5
Ggeezer
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: .

You have two options to put the DCT in Park:

1) Leave the car in gear (1st or Reverse) and push the Start / Stop Button once

2) Leave the car in Neutral and push the Start / Stop Button twice, leaving your foot off the brake for the second push.

BMW published a video about the quirks of the DCT here and one of the items is how to engage Park:

Appreciate 0
      03-14-2023, 04:53 AM   #6
Stevieno1
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ggeezer View Post
You have two options to put the DCT in Park:

1) Leave the car in gear (1st or Reverse) and push the Start / Stop Button once

2) Leave the car in Neutral and push the Start / Stop Button twice, leaving your foot off the brake for the second push.

BMW published a video about the quirks of the DCT here and one of the items is how to engage Park:

I totally never realised that stopping in gear requires 1 button press onlu! To me, when I cut the engine but the centre console is still on/radio is still on etc that's the equivalent of having the first notched turned for the electrics in a manual car - never realised I could just exit the car like this, lock it and then it automatically shuts everything down. I thought you had to press the button a 2nd time to fully shut down.

I tried both options and got the toot of the horn this time whilst trying to lock the car in N when the dashboard was still powered on, but for me option 1 is way better - thanks for the help.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2023, 12:22 AM   #7
BadgerDog
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M2

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [9.50]
This is a really unintuitive way of working the trans. There was a simple p button on my z4 dct and it was dead obvious how to work it... And no way possible to have it end up in neutral requiring the car to honk at you in warning. It just popped to park if you turned it off.

I can't imagine why they removed that.
Appreciate 0