BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Competition Model > VINs for BMW M2 Competition reveal US specs, equipment, options, packages, prod date

09-30-2017, 05:32 PM   #287
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by chmura View Post
The BMW M2 CS is most likely my last BMW I will buy. Hopefully the bean counters at BMW are seeing these posts.

" because I I think you are kinda shady - This is most likely The last time I am gonna contribute to your airplane scheme.. "

Appreciate 0
      09-30-2017, 05:51 PM   #288
as7920
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2023 SG/FR M4 xDrive Competiti

M2 Competition is a bastard of a name. Much like 1 series M Coupe.
Appreciate 2
Ceeto19.00
      09-30-2017, 06:44 PM   #289
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

Quote:
Originally Posted by importriders View Post
I'm curious to know where/how the rumor started that there would be both a comp AND a CS coming out. It doesn't make much sense in my opinion for BMW to come out with a CS if you can spec out a comp like a CS.
I don't think it's a rumor just speculation. The rumor is that BMW is going to make a limited run of 1000 M2 somethings. The speculation is that limited run of a 1000 will be called the CS or CSL, not the M2 Competition. Some people claim their dealer told them "The CS will be limited to 1000". People are just trying to make sense of that given the recent development of the N55 M2 discontinued in mid 2018.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2017, 02:03 AM   #290
importriders
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by SickFinga View Post
Here what ynguldyn posted about the F87 so far

M2 CS model name leaks
M2 CS name now replaced by M2 Competition
M2 EOP is listed as 06/2018

Someone at 2ertalk posted the following

M2 Competition SOP is 3/2018 (backed by a screenshot)
M2 CSL is coming as well in 2019
So yeah we're saying the same thing except the very last line in your reply. What you are calling the CSL is what I am referring to now as the CS.

In the end it's just a name, there will be a base M2 (probably just called the M2) that many believe are the cars that are the main subject in this thread and a more track focused edition called the CS or CSL.

I do not believe that BMW will only have 2 M2 models in 2019 called the competition and the CSL. That just doesn't make sense unless there is a base M2 below the Competition and therefore 3 models.

I believe the M2 will follow the M4 and have a base just called the M2, a CS, and a GTS or CSL. The base being the VIN cars discussed in this thread.

Alternatively, another scenario would be a base M2 with a B58, a CS (the s55 VIN cars in this thread), and later a hardcore GTS/CSL version.

Last edited by importriders; 10-01-2017 at 02:37 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2017, 04:54 AM   #291
Danne_485
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 2015 AY

Quote:
Not the same. The M4 doesn't really have a higher end competitor within BMW. The M2 does, its called an M4. An M2 CS would be stealing huge sales from big bro and would probably cost a tad bit/possibly less than a base M4 but completely obliterate it performance wise. It's a very fine line BMW will have to play if they have a Comp AND a CS come out. Where will the CS fall in the M2/M4 bracket???

How do people suggesting that both will be out at the same time not see the dilemma in this???? If I were to guess it would have to be priced above a base M4 since it'll be better equipped and much better. But how far above? Others are saying ANY M2 should not cost more than a base M4 a la Porsche Cayman GT4/911 base pricing.
The M4 and the M2 is not the same car though at all. The M2 is much more hardcore with lesser options and smaller. The M4 is more mature and has somewhat a different kind of buyers. And the M2 CS will easily be up there pricewise with a base M4 or even higher with some options included.

I still think the base M2 will get a competition package like the M3 and M4, I see why not? And then they let that cheaper basemodell coexist with the M2 CS and maybe later the M2 CSL. The best thing though, both for the buyer and the reputation of BMW, is to not water down their lineup to much and only have 2 versions. One base M2 with optional comp package and one real hardcore car that they call the CS/CSL. Unfortuneatly this doesn't seem likely if you look at the M4 production run, but you could always dream right?
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2017, 04:55 AM   #292
Danne_485
Private
Rep

Quote:
So yeah we're saying the same thing except the very last line in your reply. What you are calling the CSL is what I am referring to now as the CS.

In the end it's just a name, there will be a base M2 (probably just called the M2) that many believe are the cars that are the main subject in this thread and a more track focused edition called the CS or CSL.

I do not believe that BMW will only have 2 M2 models in 2019 called the competition and the CSL. That just doesn't make sense unless there is a base M2 below the Competition and therefore 3 models.

I believe the M2 will follow the M4 and have a base just called the M2, a CS, and a GTS or CSL. The base being the VIN cars discussed in this thread.

Alternatively, another scenario would be a base M2 with a B58, a CS (the s55 VIN cars in this thread), and later a hardcore GTS/CSL version.
Now you are more on my page.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2017, 09:26 AM   #293
importriders
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danne_485 View Post
The M4 and the M2 is not the same car though at all. The M2 is much more hardcore with lesser options and smaller. The M4 is more mature and has somewhat a different kind of buyers. And the M2 CS will easily be up there pricewise with a base M4 or even higher with some options included.
I agree not the same car but when prices start to get close between the two people will cross shop and I think base M4 sales will take a huge beating. And when you can spec an M2 to have most of the M4 performance parts (brakes, seats, engine, suspension) the line really starts to blur.

Right now the M2 and M4 don't really get cross shopped due to the very significant price gap which it should have because they don't share many parts or have similar performing parts. The new one will and the price gap will shrink or even overlap.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2017, 09:58 AM   #294
Danne_485
Private
Rep

Quote:
I agree not the same car but when prices start to get close between the two people will cross shop and I think base M4 sales will take a huge beating. And when you can spec an M2 to have most of the M4 performance parts (brakes, seats, engine, suspension) the line really starts to blur.

Right now the M2 and M4 don't really get cross shopped due to the very significant price gap which it should have because they don't share many parts or have similar performing parts. The new one will and the price gap will shrink or even overlap.
Yeah. But if you buy a base M2, tune it and put on better brakepads you will have a car that is as fast or faster around a track than the M4 already for even a cheaper pricetag. So I don't think that point is totally valid even though I hear what you are saying.

At the same time I don't think BMW are to concerned about where the money comes from. A fully speced M2 or an M4. Right now they make almost no money out of the M2 so if the new M2 with more expensive options steals a little sales from the M4 I would say it prob gets balanced out in the end.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2017, 10:30 AM   #295
ChrisK
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '19 M2C

Garage List
For me it had nothing to do with money, and yes I did cross shop after selling my e92 M3.

It's all about the size. The M3/M4 are too darn big!
      10-01-2017, 10:52 AM   #296
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by as7920 View Post
Cause M4 competition rolls off the tongue so well ?
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2017, 11:03 AM   #297
MR.
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 CSL Turbomeister

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by as7920 View Post
Totally...

MR
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2017, 11:09 AM   #298
HenryChinaski
Private
Rep
Drives: Oxford Green E46 M3

Anyone else thinking it was an easy way BMW could respond to the 400hp RS3? N55 had to die anyway because its "dirty". Its not logical to bring such a low volume car with both the B58 and S55 for a special edition. I'm thinking the base M2 will be shipping with the S55 at a slightly higher base price($55k), and later a competition model will be released that focuses on dynamic improvements and maybe a slight 10hp bump in power.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2017, 12:05 PM   #299
Danne_485
Private
Rep

So, my question is, would it be foolish to order a M2 LCI right now?
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2017, 01:11 PM   #300
linjaron
Rep
Drives: tbd

Quote:
Originally Posted by HenryChinaski View Post
Anyone else thinking it was an easy way BMW could respond to the 400hp RS3? N55 had to die anyway because its "dirty". Its not logical to bring such a low volume car with both the B58 and S55 for a special edition. I'm thinking the base M2 will be shipping with the S55 at a slightly higher base price($55k), and later a competition model will be released that focuses on dynamic improvements and maybe a slight 10hp bump in power.
Seems too optimistic to me. A $1.5k increase for an upgrade from a n55 to s55? There was a 1k increase for the LCI for just a rear camera and led headlights essentially. If you look at other manufacturers, the cayman S holds a 12k premium over a cayman for a tuned engine. A c63s holds a 8k premium over the base c63. These are the same engines with different tunes, let alone a better engine. Not to mention this pretty much just screws over everyone who purchased a n55 m2.

I think it may be reasonable we get a s55 m2, but there will be a hefty premium to reflect the change.

I wanted to ask, why is it so certain the base M2 with a N55 is going away? I realize that EOP of the n55 was scheduled for 2018, but isn’t it very possible that changes? I’m not sure of the specifics, but wouldn’t this be the path of least resistance? Seems to make more sense to me instead of offerings the s55 super cheap, or pricing at a premium and cannibalizing m4 sales either way.

Last edited by linjaron; 10-01-2017 at 01:25 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2017, 02:27 PM   #301
wolfbane1967
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Which wheel is 788m ? Cant find pictures of them ?
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2017, 02:40 PM   #302
devo
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Bimmers & Porsches

Any way you slice it there will be enough delta between the MY2018 LCI M2 and MY2019 M2 whether in base and/or CS form to retain the strong values of the current model. Knowing all this I just took delivery of my AW 6 speed. I'll enjoy it until a CS becomes available and trade it back to cover most of the sales tax.
Appreciate 1
Fangi021.00
      10-01-2017, 02:40 PM   #303
Tag
this is the way
Rep
Drives: N-1 starfighter

If this car is a direct successor to the current M2 then it all makes sense.

The way I see it is they gave it a new engine with more power, but also change the name to 'Competition' to distinguish it from the n55. A new engine alone will not raise the price $10k or more, just doesn't make sense for an entry level M car and defeats the purpose of this car altogether. I'd be surprised if it's even $5k more.

Where BMW will make its $$$ off this car is on options, options, options. New colors, different color contrast stitching, perforate seats, forged lightweight wheels, M sport brakes, sport seats, possibly some individual options, etc. The options will drive the price over $10, not the base car itself.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2017, 02:57 PM   #304
devo
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Bimmers & Porsches

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tag View Post

The way I see it is they gave it a new engine with more power, but also change the name to 'Competition' to distinguish it from the n55. A new engine alone will not raise the price $10k or more, just doesn't make sense for an entry level M car and defeats the purpose of this car altogether. I'd be surprised if it's even $5k more.

Where BMW will make its $$$ off this car is on options, options, options. New colors, different color contrast stitching, perforate seats, forged lightweight wheels, M sport brakes, sport seats, possibly some individual options, etc. The options will drive the price over $10, not the base car itself.
i doubt it will be a new engine alone hence closer to a minimum $10k price hike and more like $15k+
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2017, 03:04 PM   #305
Tag
this is the way
Rep
Drives: N-1 starfighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by devo View Post
i doubt it will be a new engine alone hence closer to a minimum $10k price hike and more like $15k+
Look at the leaked VIN's, everything is an option.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2017, 03:35 PM   #306
Chako
Banned
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:

Makes sense that if the M2 Competition/CS is indeed replacing the regular M2, the MSRP before options will remain below the M3/M4 (smaller car, less luxuries, etc), with the options increasing the profit/price. The base M2 currently has very little options.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2017, 03:47 PM   #307
SW19
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2016 Alpine White M2

Quote:

Quote:
Look at the leaked VIN's, everything is an option.
I agree,the base M2 Competion with the S55 engine shouldn't cost to much more than the current M2.There will be the usual price increase of the base car but i wouldn't expect the S55 engine to increase the price of the car by more than 2k dollars.
Appreciate 1
StephGOD218.50
      10-01-2017, 04:15 PM   #308
kiysersosae
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 1M, M2CS, M3CS

Not keen on a competition model, seems like the bmw line up may look like a bit stupid with all these model designations

M2
M2 Competition (which technically already exists if you consider competition pack)
M2 CS
M2 CS or GTS

Non of this makes sense... And to be honest, I've gave up trying to follow. I think il take the cash I have and head out for an Exige or a Cayman GTS unless something substantial is released soon.

Has anyone pulled our their deposits yet?
Appreciate 0