BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Competition Model > VINs for BMW M2 Competition reveal US specs, equipment, options, packages, prod date

09-28-2017, 11:12 AM   #199
ynguldyn
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: battery powered tv on wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkstarZero View Post
Is there a difference between the M2 Competition and M2 CS? Same car or will there be two S55 models?

Since they're calling it M2 Competition in the books, I'm thinking this is not the CS, this is the M2 replacement with the S55. So will there be a M2 CS proper? ynguldyn
M2/S55 was originally called CS and then was renamed Competition. Everyone using "CS" right now when talking about the model to be introduced in a few months is doing it wrong.

Unless BMW changes its mind at the last minute and decides to call it CS again.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2017, 11:13 AM   #200
ynguldyn
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: battery powered tv on wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by N54 View Post
Is that Halloween, Thanksgiving or Christmas
I never knew Halloween was so big in UK that you call it "holidays".
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2017, 11:16 AM   #201
DarkstarZero
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Daytona 95 M3, X7 M50, e92 M3,

Quote:
Originally Posted by ynguldyn View Post
M2/S55 was originally called CS and then was renamed Competition. Everyone using "CS" right now when talking about the model to be introduced in a few months is doing it wrong.

Thanks for the clarification, and that makes sense as a replacement. Same street car, different engine. Like the old Z3Ms in 2002.

So do you know if there will be a more track focused CS? Or CSL? Or both?
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2017, 11:30 AM   #202
N54
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: none

Quote:
I never knew Halloween was so big in UK that you call it "holidays".
We don’t but thought you Yanks had holiday for everything

Anyway I’d be grateful if you could provide an answer pretty please
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2017, 11:43 AM   #203
BishUK
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M2 DCT LBB

Will it have a bonnet bulge / or does it need one as a matter of course to accommodate the S55 engine?
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2017, 01:35 PM   #204
Tag
this is the way
Rep
Drives: N-1 starfighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkstarZero View Post
Thanks for the clarification, and that makes sense as a replacement. Same street car, different engine. Like the old Z3Ms in 2002.
I'm so confused. Is it really though, because it seems to be a more track focused car and not simply a Competition Pack version. Or am I just misunderstanding? A 405~410hp engine, optional larger brakes, optional sport seats, optional lightweight wheels, etc.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2017, 01:46 PM   #205
N54
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: none

Quote:

Is this the same for all markets or just the USA?

This video in June mentions the CS name being used on other models, so bmw have changed their mind since then?

Appreciate 0
      09-28-2017, 01:55 PM   #206
JTO24
never could compete with Lloyd Braun
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 G80 M3 6MT

I can't speak to the options list of bigger brakes and M sports seats for the M2 Competition, but the RS3 went from 360 hp to 400 hp in the new 2017 FL model with a new 2.5 cyl I5.

Edit: maybe the bigger brakes, seats, etc. will be similar to Audi's Dynamics Pack Plus with CCB and different suspension... just trying to say the jump from base M2 to Competition replacement might not be that far-fetched in order to keep up with the, uh.. competition lol.
2015 F80 M3 DCT | Tanzanite Blue | Gold Brown (sold)
2013 E92 M3 6MT | Mineral White | Fox Red/Black (sold)
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2017, 01:58 PM   #207
DarkstarZero
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tag View Post
I'm so confused. Is it really though, because it seems to be a more track focused car and not simply a Competition Pack version. Or am I just misunderstanding? A 405~410hp engine, optional larger brakes, optional sport seats, optional lightweight wheels, etc.
Notice how often you said optional. A true CS, like the M4 CS and what BMW has said CS's will be, would have that as standard.

So the base version of this car, no options, will produce +30hp, with the same seats, same wheels, same brakes. The only stats difference is +30hp. That's not a CS.

This is the M2 Competition. The M2 CS might not exist.
Appreciate 1
StephGOD218.50
      09-28-2017, 02:07 PM   #208
csbear
Major
Rep
Drives: SO M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karmic Man View Post
Really hope that they are not going to water down the CS just to replace the regular M2.
The CS deserves the S55 in its full glory.
I want to be able to keep up with an M3/M4 down the straight and after apex at the track.
Yes, but does BMW want you to?

Cars are going to transform quickly in the coming years due to electrification. Ynguldyn knows more than me, but I assume BMW is moving fast on this initiative. The M2 CS/Competition will suffer a quick fate as well.

Enjoy what you have now, M2, CS or not. Many of us are going to miss the regular M2 sooner than we think.

Last edited by csbear; 09-28-2017 at 02:18 PM..
Appreciate 3
JTO245276.00
jjclyde125.50
      09-28-2017, 02:46 PM   #209
Motivate
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Shopping for a new one

Here's the thing, if the "base" M2 is really heading towards EOP in June 2018, the chances are that it will actually hold value well in the long run. It's basically a 2 year run so there will be a very limited number available of this great mid $50k sports car.

Assuming the MSRP for the CS will be in the high $65k to $75k range + likely dealer mark up, the base and CS models are not a realistic cross shopping option for many base M2 buyers. Not to say people can't afford it, but the $70k+ price bracket opens up a lot of other options.
Appreciate 2
      09-28-2017, 02:51 PM   #210
importriders
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motivate View Post
Here's the thing, if the "base" M2 is really heading towards EOP in June 2018, the chances are that it will actually hold value well in the long run. It's basically a 2 year run so there will be a very limited number available of this great mid $50k sports car.

Assuming the MSRP for the CS will be in the high $65k to $75k range + likely dealer mark up, the base and CS models are not a realistic cross shopping option for many base M2 buyers. Not to say people can't afford it, but the $70k+ price bracket opens up a lot of other options.
My opinion exactly which is why I am hoping the MSRP is >$65K.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2017, 03:27 PM   #211
Tag
this is the way
Rep

I don't understand why some of you think that essentially the same car with an s55 will be over $10k more? Especially since the M2 was an entry level M car. I wouldn't be surprised if it's only $5k more, not including options of course.
Appreciate 2
StephGOD218.50
Gatte1193.00
      09-28-2017, 04:05 PM   #212
linjaron
Rep
Drives: tbd

Quote:
I don't understand why some of you think that essentially the same car with an s55 will be over $10k more? Especially since the M2 was an entry level M car. I wouldn't be surprised if it's only $5k more, not including options of course.
That seems very optimistic. M2 base price increased by 1k for the LCI for essentially LED lights. Look at any other car manufacturer, the difference between a cayman and cayman S is 12k, or c63 and c63s 8k. These use the same engine let alone a better version. You are upgrading to a CS, this isn’t a ‘entry’ car anymore. Speculation is saying that the M2 CS would outperform the m4 on a track, do you think BMW would give you that for less than a m4?
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2017, 04:34 PM   #213
Lotus99
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 19 M2C & 18 X3 M40i

Quote:

All this talk about impact on resale values, I don't get it. It's not like you bought an investment that's supposed to appreciate in value... Whoever buys a car - an asset that depreciates like 20% a year typically - with concerns about its resale value, shouldn't be buying a car in the first place.

Or go buy yourself a Toyota!
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2017, 04:42 PM   #214
Karmic Man
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2C

Why would they bring up another name that is outside their past naming convention?

I am not feeling good about this if they don't use the name CS as that means the car has been water down to fit a more mainstream segment. In that case why not just leave it as M2 instead of confusing people from top to bottom.

The M4 is too big to have fun in. Labelling it as M4 CS/GTS/CSL can never changed the fact that it feels like a boat to drive in. The M2 has the best size out of the current range to drive like a proper sports car. Give the M2 the proper treatment it deserves and we hardcore M fans want and you got yourself a winner.
Appreciate 1
      09-28-2017, 04:42 PM   #215
Tag
this is the way
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by linjaron View Post
That seems very optimistic. M2 base price increased by 1k for the LCI for essentially LED lights. Look at any other car manufacturer, the difference between a cayman and cayman S is 12k, or c63 and c63s 8k. These use the same engine let alone a better version. You are upgrading to a CS, this isn’t a ‘entry’ car anymore. Speculation is saying that the M2 CS would outperform the m4 on a track, do you think BMW would give you that for less than a m4?
A well equipped Cayman S cost more than an M4, so no surprise in the big price gap. As ynguldyn has already pointed out this is not a CS, but rather the Competition version.

Quote:

Options aside, the only difference is the engine. Otherwise it's essentially the same car.
Appreciate 1
StephGOD218.50
      09-28-2017, 04:43 PM   #216
M2Nebula
Captain
Rep
Drives: M2, X1, TSX WGN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus99 View Post
All this talk about impact on resale values, I don't get it. It's not like you bought an investment that's supposed to appreciate in value... Whoever buys a car - an asset that depreciates like 20% a year typically - with concerns about its resale value, shouldn't be buying a car in the first place.

Just had this conversation. If someone tells you that they don't give a shit about current resale value or current market trends then they are lying. If you are at all passionate about something then you are paying attention.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2017, 04:51 PM   #217
Motivate
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Shopping for a new one

Quote:
A well equipped Cayman S cost more than an M4, so no surprise in the big price gap. As ynguldyn has already pointed out this is not a CS, but rather the Competition version.

Options aside, the only difference is the engine. Otherwise it's essentially the same car.

Do we know if the suspension will get an upgrade without option?

I agree that it wouldn't be surprising if the MSRP is about $5-8k more for the COMPETITION if the only difference is the engine. Any higher, people will buy an M4 or shop elsewhere. The M4 has a nicer interior, sports seat and is a bigger car which all equates to about $5k of value.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2017, 04:55 PM   #218
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus99 View Post

Would you rather buy a car you want that loses 45% of its value in the first year because a better version you would have preferred instead comes out the next year, OR a car you want that loses 10% of its value the first year?

Maybe to you resale isn't at all a factor and you would flip a coin between these two fictional choices? I think most people would want the car that doesn't lose so much value because it gives them the option to recoup more of the cost if needed/wanted in the future.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2017, 05:00 PM   #219
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karmic Man View Post
Why would they bring up another name that is outside their past naming convention?

I am not feeling good about this if they don't use the name CS as that means the car has been water down to fit a more mainstream segment. In that case why not just leave it as M2 instead of confusing people from top to bottom.

The M4 is too big to have fun in. Labelling it as M4 CS/GTS/CSL can never changed the fact that it feels like a boat to drive in. The M2 has the best size out of the current range to drive like a proper sports car. Give the M2 the proper treatment it deserves and we hardcore M fans want and you got yourself a winner.
I think they will do a "base" M2 Competition with the S55, and then later a CS/CSL/GTS/Whatever that is more limited, track focused, and "special". So I wouldn't worry that some more extreme version won't exist, it will.
Appreciate 1
      09-28-2017, 05:12 PM   #220
DarkstarZero
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Do we know if the suspension will get an upgrade without option?
The suspension will almost certainly be tweaked for the new engine but "upgrade" is subjective when it comes to suspension, depends on what you're looking for.
Appreciate 0