BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 CS Model > Exhaust recommendation needed

03-10-2023, 03:09 PM   #1
transalpian
Rep
Drives: X3MC, M2CS, Porsche 996

Exhaust recommendation needed

Background:

I have a CS that is my daily (because I really like driving it). It currently wears the stock exhaust.

I want to replace the exhaust for two reasons. One, it looks horrible. Two, it doesn’t sound great, but you know that.

I am OK with more volume, but not with fart-can sound or drone.

I plan to use the stock valve operation.

I do not plan to make any meaningful engine mods.

I do not plan to replace the stock downpipes.

Question:

What is the current “best” setup given these constraints?

Thanks in advance!
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2023, 05:33 PM   #2
medphysdave
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 CS | 85 of 592

Unfortunately "best" is subjective. I think you can get a nice sound in a wide range of prices and audio clips don't do a good job of capturing the sound. I think The Dinan back box with an AE midpipe sounds real good. I would advise getting a midpipe. I've got an Akra system because I wanted weight loss and a good deal landed. I think the Akra is quieter than some others. Valves open is the right amount of obnoxious for me. It's pretty loud. Pops and crackles are there that we're not heard with the factory system.

Edit: I'd shop the for sale section and get a good deal on a previously loved system. Likely an upgrade over stock at a reasonable price.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2023, 05:36 PM   #3
JD_M2D2
In the garage
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW M2CS

IMO, the best affordable solution:

Active Autowerks Equal Length Midpipes (resonated) (link)

Active Autowerks valved rear axle back exhaust (link)

Xtreme Power House (x-ph) typically offers a 10% discount and during certain sales, you get store credit (dependent on purchase amount) for your purchases, so you could potentially separate into 2 orders to use said store credit on your 2nd order.

No tuning/modifications required.

YouTube has a plethora of videos showcasing the sound.

That being said, Akrapovic has rave reviews and is used by many on these forums, but I think you end up spending a bit more.

Good luck!
      03-10-2023, 07:36 PM   #4
transalpian
Rep

I’m a big fan of Akra from my motorcycle days, but I know their stuff is not cheap. I know Akra used to make a midpipe, but it seems to have discontinued in the US?

Is the AA EL (resonated) the consensus midpipe these days?

Any thoughts on Eisenmann? I know they are big on the Porsche front.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2023, 09:46 PM   #5
JD_M2D2
In the garage
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW M2CS

The big debate from what I researched when making my exhaust purchase decision is AA EL vs AA (regular/single) mid pipe. As far as mid pipes go, I would say AA is the most popular for the F8X, not to say there aren't other great options of course. The biggest difference between the 2 AA mid pipe options is desired sound, with the EL sounding more "exotic" and less like a weed trimmer (as some put it) and the regular/single mid pipe sounding throatier and more characteristic of the S55. I'm summarizing, but there are lots of posts bimmerpost around this topic that could be helpful.

https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1770293

https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1803442
      03-11-2023, 08:47 AM   #6
transalpian
Rep

Good summary, thanks!

It seems the AA EL resonated is the most common/popular approach and yields a good balance.

Is it fair to say that from there, the axle back is largely personal preference? Akra being most spendy and maybe a little quieter, others having various pros and cons?
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2023, 08:57 AM   #7
medphysdave
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

I would not get the Akra axelback alone. My opinion is that it needs to be paired with a midpipe. Otherwise you might end up with spendy disappointment. Don't get me wrong you'll get visual improvement and weight savings but the sound will be a little lower than you might want

Factory CS has a great tone. It's just too quiet until really on the throttle. I'd like to see someone cut open the back box and remove some sound deadening to see if that improved things. I've always said an AA mid with the factory back box would be a great combo. Unfortunately you still have the udder. But if udder doesn't bother you that would be a cost effective mod

Seriously though, don't sleep on the Dinan back box.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2023, 04:18 PM   #8
QM
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2CS 6MT

“ I would not get the Akra axelback alone. My opinion is that it needs to be paired with a midpipe. Otherwise you might end up with spendy disappointment. Don't get me wrong you'll get visual improvement and weight savings but the sound will be a little lower than you might want”

I beg to differ with above re: Akra alone being a disappointment or quiet. It is only quiet when valves are closed or set on auto, but plenty loud with valves open. For reference, my prior ride was an OG M2 with full Remus Sport exhaust. The Akra back box alone is loud enough with valves open to set off alarms at startup in a parking garage. I have it paired with an OBD port valve controller that memorizes last valve setting. I drive with valves open all the time and I love the sound. It has a nice growl at low rpm, is plenty loud, and has a good overall tone, to my ear at least. It also saves significant weight vs stock backbox.

Disadvantages of this setup are: you have to be ok with cutting stock exhaust and there is a bit of a drone if you hang around 3k rpm, but it disappears above and below 3k. Nothing obnoxious though.

If you want real bang for the buck before you commit to an exhaust, just buy a valve controller ($250) and keep valves always open on stock exhaust. It actually sounds good this way but lower volume than Akra.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2023, 04:28 PM   #9
Jimjamz
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: G81 M3 Touring (Frozen Black)

Garage List
I’m very happy with my Akra catback with stock midpipe. This is after trying the AA EL midpipe and swapping it out. The drone was horrendous for me. I also had an install issue and there was a horrible fume odor that caught up with us at every set of lights.

I’ve kept my OEM exhaust and mid pipe intact and can swap them back to stock if I ever want to part out, though not expecting to.

The final outcome is brilliant high RPM sound with a signature titanium shriek at redline. Down low it’s a deeper thrum (vs the OEM’s breathless rattle) that is very satisfying.

And the tips and exhaust box look great imo.
Attached Images

Last edited by Jimjamz; 03-11-2023 at 08:07 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2023, 04:39 PM   #10
transalpian
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimjamz View Post
I’m very happy with my Akra catback with stock midpipe. This is after trying the AA EL midpipe and swapping it out. The drone was horrendous for me. I also had an install issue and there was a horrible fume odor that caught up with us at every set of lights.

I’ve kept my OEM exhaust and mid pipe intact and can swap them back to stock if I ever want to part out, though not expecting to.

The final outcome is brilliant high RPM sound with a signature titanium shriek at redline. Down low it’s a deeper thrum (vs the OEM’s breathless rattle) that is very satisfying.

And the tips and exhaust box look great imo.

Did you have the resonated pipe, or non-res?
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2023, 06:39 PM   #11
M3R1
Colonel
Rep
Drives: ///M2cs

I will share my experience. Just as you mentioned the back box had to go, it is really the only thing aesthetically wrong with the F87 M2c/cs.

My first set up was Dinan cat back with x pipe. There was no drone, sounded nice and was inexpensive, however the quality of the system was not what I wanted for my cs. The tips were very large and it did not tuck 100% out of sight.

I was fortunate enough to meet up with a local forum member with the AA non res EL mid pipe and Remus valved exhaust. This set up was definitely slightly more aggressive than I wanted. I suspected that it would be perfect with the resonated version. The remus tips are much nicer (carbon) than the Dinan tips, but still too large for me.

I decided on the AA resonated EL with Eisenmann valved and it is a really clean sound with OEM like quality. It also is completely tucked and the tips are perfect. I love it!

The Eisenmann took a while after I placed my order and was $1K more than the Dinan and Active boxes. Still much cheaper than the Akra.

03-11-2023, 08:05 PM   #12
Jimjamz
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: G81 M3 Touring (Frozen Black)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by transalpian View Post
Did you have the resonated pipe, or non-res?
Non-res
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2023, 10:31 PM   #13
maxcbrdriver
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW 535xiT; 2021 BMW M2C

I think the only consensus is one of the AA midpipes, beyond that it's very subjective. I agree the Single is throaty. I've got an AA Single Resonated paired to a Remus Race, very deep and quite loud. I use a valve controller to keep it closed when I'm not looking for total street shock and awe. Great sound, but with the stock valve actuation, it could be a bit much.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2023, 05:27 AM   #14
Reddevils7
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F87 M2CS

Garage List
2010 E92 M3  [7.83]
2020 F87 M2CS  [7.13]
I have the AA signature exhaust on my car. Super throaty and deep without any of the rasp whatsoever
Appreciate 1
QM287.00
      03-12-2023, 09:48 AM   #15
transalpian
Rep

Thanks for the detailed explanation!

Your solution seems to match my needs/wants quite well. I am familiar with the quality of Eisenmann from my Porsche days. Definitely a quality product.

Did you consider the standard carbon tips? It seems they have two options (not counting the crazy gold version below).

I don’t think I could justify them, but those carbon/gold tips look sharp. But $2700 for tips?

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3R1 View Post
I will share my experience. Just as you mentioned the back box had to go, it is really the only thing aesthetically wrong with the F87 M2c/cs.

My first set up was Dinan cat back with x pipe. There was no drone, sounded nice and was inexpensive, however the quality of the system was not what I wanted for my cs. The tips were very large and it did not tuck 100% out of sight.

I was fortunate enough to meet up with a local forum member with the AA non res EL mid pipe and Remus valved exhaust. This set up was definitely slightly more aggressive than I wanted. I suspected that it would be perfect with the resonated version. The remus tips are much nicer (carbon) than the Dinan tips, but still too large for me.

I decided on the AA resonated EL with Eisenmann valved and it is a really clean sound with OEM like quality. It also is completely tucked and the tips are perfect. I love it!

The Eisenmann took a while after I placed my order and was $1K more than the Dinan and Active boxes. Still much cheaper than the Akra.

Last edited by transalpian; 03-12-2023 at 11:46 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2023, 12:21 PM   #16
M3R1
Colonel
Rep
Drives: ///M2cs

Quote:
Thanks for the detailed explanation!

Your solution seems to match my needs/wants quite well. I am familiar with the quality of Eisenmann from my Porsche days. Definitely a quality product.

Did you consider the standard carbon tips? It seems they have two options (not counting the crazy gold version below).

I don’t think I could justify them, but those carbon/gold tips look sharp. But $2700 for tips?
When I ordered mine they did not offer the carbon tips. I saw pictures on the web of the carbon tips, but not with the gold?
      03-12-2023, 12:33 PM   #17
medphysdave
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

I was reading a post where the gold color gets dirty and you can't really tell it's gold anymore. That would be disappointing. One more thing beyond brake dust to worry about.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2023, 12:40 PM   #18
thrilla
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2 CS

I’ve tried pairing the Akrapovic exhaust with the AA EL mid pipe, resonated and non-resonated. In my opinion, the resonated mid pipe had a worse drone at low rpms. If I had to do it, I would stick with the non resonated version.
Luckily for me, I was able to source an Akrapovic mid pipe which sounded the best. Some used ones will pop up in the classifieds once in a while.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2023, 12:41 PM   #19
transalpian
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3R1 View Post
When I ordered mine they did not offer the carbon tips. I saw pictures on the web of the carbon tips, but not with the gold?
The gold are some limited-time thing. Expensive and a bit blingy for my taste.

I think they have two other carbon tips now.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2023, 12:43 PM   #20
transalpian
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by medphysdave View Post
I was reading a post where the gold color gets dirty and you can't really tell it's gold anymore. That would be disappointing. One more thing beyond brake dust to worry about.
Agreed. I think they were as much a marketing stunt as anything.

Brake dust was probably 60% of the reason I went with CCB on mine.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2023, 12:48 PM   #21
transalpian
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrilla View Post
I’ve tried pairing the Akrapovic exhaust with the AA EL mid pipe, resonated and non-resonated. In my opinion, the resonated mid pipe had a worse drone at low rpms. If I had to do it, I would stick with the non resonated version.
Luckily for me, I was able to source an Akrapovic mid pipe which sounded the best. Some used ones will pop up in the classifieds once in a while.
Which Akra pipe did you end up with?

I understand they used to make a pipe that is no longer imported to the US? It also seems they have another system, the Evolution?

But I readily admit to being garbage with Akra model names.

Last edited by transalpian; 03-12-2023 at 12:58 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2023, 01:05 PM   #22
thrilla
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2 CS

Akrapovic

Quote:
Which Akra pipe did you end up with?

I understand they used to make a pipe that is no longer imported to the US? It also seems they have another system, the Evolution?

But I readily admit to being garbage with Akra model names.
Akrapovic Evolution is how they brand the whole set: mid pipe and muffler.
The Akrapovic muffler is still available to purchase. The midpipe is not. The only way to get it is from the secondary market.
Appreciate 0