BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip > AP Racing Rotor Life?

07-11-2021, 10:32 PM   #23
bentom2
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZM2 View Post
Are you sure you didn’t have Brake Magic turned on?
I don’t follow F1, so had to Google. This seems like it would be redundant in my case.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2021, 10:57 AM   #24
OG Shark
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZM2 View Post
Are you sure you didn’t have Brake Magic turned on?
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentom2 View Post
I don’t follow F1, so had to Google. This seems like it would be redundant in my case.
Dude Brake Magic should be on every car - right up there with DRS and Party Mode!

ZM2 - you had fade with 1.11s but not with 3.12s? Had plenty of pad life left on the 1.11s, all that good stuff? Different platform yes - but on my E92 M3 race car I have run 1.11s out to 90 minutes in full race simulation (fuel load, slicks, etc) - with zero issues. Heavy car with a fast pace, no venting. It is the same kit that goes on our F87s. Run them on the M2 as well and haven't had any fade. The upper limit of their optimal temperature range isn't that much lower than the 3.12 - were they overheating? This is on the AP kits from Essex right?

Was it a one time thing or happen more than once? Do you run vents? What tires did it happen on? As someone who races on them this is very intriguing - definitely want to hear more about it. When the M2 comes online as our endurance race car soon planning on running them.

bentom2 there is also the DSUNO from Ferodo - supposed to have not quite as much bite as the 3.12. I haven't run them as I have been happy with the 1.11/3.12 combo but might be worth looking into as well.
Appreciate 1
bentom2335.50
      07-12-2021, 04:41 PM   #25
bentom2
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Thanks OG Shark.

I’ll look at the DSUno as well as will see what Jeff has to say about pad choice when I am able to connect with him. Hope to find some free time during Eastern business hours tomorrow.

Going strictly by the Mu data Ferodo publishes for their race pads, the 1.11 and Uno look very similar in terms of friction level, depending where you spend your time in the heat range.

I like the much flatter line for the 1.11, but might be worth trying both over time. I may find that some variance with temp is a good thing.

Attached a chart from Essex for reference so we’re all looking at the same thing.

I got back last night from two days at Oregon raceway park. This track isn’t as brake intensive due to lower overall speeds and fewer really tight corners, but was the last local track I needed to conquer for DSC off. It has some interesting elevation changes and off camber turns where the security blanket of DSC was nice.

Had a clean weekend and should be good to leave DSC off for good. I also took NISFAN ’s thermal shock theory to heart and worked on easing into the brakes. So that’s two potential sources that I hope to reduce.

4 days total into the new rotors and they’re just showing some light heat checking on the center 1/3.

Took a rock to my windshield yesterday though, which will sideline the M2 until August. Will have to do-drive the wife’s Cayman on Thursday and hopefully the 2002 will be back up and running for an early August event. In any case, other than an update on what Essex has to say, I won’t have many updates to this thread until late August/early Sept when the M2 will see the track again.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
Maynard3848.00