BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip > Dedicated wheels for track use

04-24-2021, 10:29 PM   #1
Driver87
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2CS

Dedicated wheels for track use

Been thinking about getting some Apex wheels for the CS and track duty with some Hoosier slicks on them.

What sizes does everyone run? The car is at stock ride height and no plans to lower. Squared set up would be ideal.

Is there anyway around the TPMS with BMW? Last track session I got them too low and it put me in limp mode essentially until I inflated them back up.

I'm guessing there's a way around this? Would be nice not needing to order TPMS for the Apex wheels too.
      04-24-2021, 10:44 PM   #2
detroitm2
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
A lot of people just run without tpms. I don't think you need to do anything special.

My EC7's have tpms in them, but I generally set them at about 28psi cold.

Can't really help ya on the fitment, but the folks at Apex should be able to hook you up with what you need. I run 18x10 ET35 square on my '18. But I have suspension/camber/spacers/etc. Obviously for the CS, you'll need 19s.
Appreciate 1
Driver87253.00
      04-24-2021, 11:03 PM   #3
Driver87
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by detroitm2 View Post
A lot of people just run without tpms. I don't think you need to do anything special.

Can't really help ya on the fitment, but the folks at Apex should be able to hook you up with what you need. I run 18x10 ET35 square on my '18. But I have suspension/camber/spacers/etc. Obviously for the CS, you'll need 19s.
Weird, I'd think not having TPMS would enable the speed lock out o got. I believe it wouldn't let me go over 50 mph with the pressure lower than 27 or similar
      04-25-2021, 12:42 AM   #4
detroitm2
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driver87 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by detroitm2 View Post

Weird, I'd think not having TPMS would enable the speed lock out o got. I believe it wouldn't let me go over 50 mph with the pressure lower than 27 or similar
I know there's a ton of people that run without tpms, and I'm fairly confident no coding is required.

The mode limitations only come into play if you have tpms and it is reading lower than recommended pressures.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2021, 02:05 AM   #5
bentom2
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I personally run without TPMS in my 2018. I get a warning message, but it does not affect my ability to run at pace on track. Once I dismiss the warning, I just get a flashing, and then solid warning light in the gauge cluster.

On my OEM wheels, I have just started the day at 30 PSI and bled off pressure throughout the day as needed. I’ve successfully avoided the low pressure warning, but you might have to add a couple PSI at lunch, or start a TPMS reset as you are staging up. Generally, you can get enough heat in the tires to bring the pressures up before the reset process completes.

I’m happy with my Apex wheels, BTW. They have a very detailed figment guide on their website that should get you a good start on what fits. 9.5” ET28 is the no spacer square option they recommend. I ran a set with these specs for a year in 18” and was happy with it until a change to coilovers altered the handling of the car a bit, and I went back to staggered. There are other options if you’re okay with running spacers.
Appreciate 1
Driver87253.00
      04-28-2021, 09:19 PM   #6
chief1richard
Life is on the Track, the rest is just waiting.
United_States
Rep
Drives: At the point of 7,000 RPM's

Garage List
2018 M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driver87 View Post
Been thinking about getting some Apex wheels for the CS and track duty with some Hoosier slicks on them.

What sizes does everyone run? The car is at stock ride height and no plans to lower. Squared set up would be ideal.

Is there anyway around the TPMS with BMW? Last track session I got them too low and it put me in limp mode essentially until I inflated them back up.

I'm guessing there's a way around this? Would be nice not needing to order TPMS for the Apex wheels too.
If you get a dedicated set of Track Tires, do yourself a favor and use regular Air Valves. Only thing you will notice is a small circle on your dash notifying you of no TPMS valves, which will go away when you put on your OEM wheels. Some like the tire pressure screen, which is not as accurate as a guage at the track.