BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > Pricing / Ordering / European Delivery / PCD > How long is production?

06-01-2016, 07:22 AM   #1
Zigarum
Private
Rep
Drives: Z$ SDrive 2.3

How long is production?

Hi there.

I ordered my car in January from a dealership in Zurich, Switzerland. Originally I had a delivery date of late September, but I was recently told that the system now states August. There isn't a production number yet so I'm not getting my hopes.

Does anyone know how long the car takes to build? If the delivery of August is accurate, when do you think the production should begin?

I've ordered the 6MT in Black with tinted rear windows and a sunroof.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2016, 07:47 AM   #2
gmzanatta
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: LBB 6MT M2 # 660/713

To clarify before giving you an answer: the date you mention above, is that a confirmed production week from your SA?

I ask because, if it is a confirmed production week, then you should already have a production number.

If not, than it's merely speculation at this point on your SA's part, as there is not build scheduled. If that's the case, you definitely won't be getting a car in August. For reference, before I moved to June, I had a production number for a September build.

Typically you're looking at 6-8 weeks after the end of production for delivery. So if we assume mid-August delivery, your car would have to be built around first week of July or so.

Here is my advice: ask your SA for a screenshot of the page. Crop out the area showing the production week/month and either PM it to me or post it here. We can give you some better advice then.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2016, 09:56 AM   #3
zenmaster
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 M2

It takes about 1 week to build a car. I've had 3 built since 2006 and each took a week.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2016, 02:22 PM   #4
Zigarum
Private
Rep
Drives: Z$ SDrive 2.3

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmzanatta View Post
To clarify before giving you an answer: the date you mention above, is that a confirmed production week from your SA?

I ask because, if it is a confirmed production week, then you should already have a production number.

If not, than it's merely speculation at this point on your SA's part, as there is not build scheduled. If that's the case, you definitely won't be getting a car in August. For reference, before I moved to June, I had a production number for a September build.

Typically you're looking at 6-8 weeks after the end of production for delivery. So if we assume mid-August delivery, your car would have to be built around first week of July or so.

Here is my advice: ask your SA for a screenshot of the page. Crop out the area showing the production week/month and either PM it to me or post it here. We can give you some better advice then.
Hey

Thanks for the response. August is the date the dealer is telling me the car will be delivered to his dealership and ready for me to collect. Perhaps the 6-8 delivery is less because Switzerland and Germany are neighbours??

Assuming the car takes a week to build and the delivery is 6-8 weeks, in theory I should get a production number in June. If there's no number in June then I can assume that the August delivery date is false

I'll ask the dealer and get back to you when I have more information.

Thanks again.
Appreciate 0