BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > S55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > AA Equal Length Midpipe (stock muffler and downpipes)

03-30-2021, 10:59 PM   #45
Lt1camaro
Lieutenant
Iran
Rep
Drives: 2016 535i, 2015 435i, 2013 M3

My biggest fear is the car being too loud even if I get the resonated version. I have very sensitive ears and can't have a car that is too too loud. Loudest I am capable of handling was my F80 with the M Performance Exhaust and I thought that was borderline too loud.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2021, 11:52 PM   #46
ESB
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2C

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt1camaro View Post
My biggest fear is the car being too loud even if I get the resonated version. I have very sensitive ears and can't have a car that is too too loud. Loudest I am capable of handling was my F80 with the M Performance Exhaust and I thought that was borderline too loud.
So you're worried for yourself more so than for other people?

Check out the end of my first video. It ends with a pull with windows up / sunroof closed. You'll see that it doesn't sound insane AND that's doing a hard ~redline pull.

I really couldn't see how windows up + daily driving would hurt your ears. Doubly so if you are in efficient with valves closed.

But then part of me wants to ask: if you have sensitive ears and MPE was borderline too much then what makes you want to replace exhaust parts at all?
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2021, 09:54 AM   #47
Midtown2020
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C (6MT) & X3MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESB View Post
The burbles maybe doubled in volume so I turned them off.

Burbles aside, I'd say the car got maybe 20-30% louder during lower RPMs and 60-80% louder at high RPMs?

Hard to really say though.

Net-net I don't find it obnoxious for daily driving and it's a ton of fun when gunning it. This is coming from someone who has no experience with aftermarket exhausts and was nervous about having it be too annoying. No regrets.
Do you have any concerns about passing emissions in WA State?
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2021, 06:51 PM   #48
shb5007
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 21 M3C

Would the EL pipe void warranty?
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2021, 07:30 PM   #49
pawelczyk7
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 bmw m2 comp 6spd

should not as u maintain the primary cats..
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2021, 01:24 PM   #50
TheoIam
Lieutenant
Rep

So thanks to or not thanks to so my wallet says to ESB. I also just purchased the AA non resonated mid pipe. I used to own an 05 ZCP M3 and man this solution really gets back some of the missing classic straight six sound. Now I join the wait.

Thanks for all the help and answering all my questions Mike!! mike@x-ph.com

Last edited by TheoIam; 04-16-2021 at 01:45 PM..
Appreciate 1
ESB1045.00
      04-18-2021, 10:30 PM   #51
ESB
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midtown2020 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ESB View Post
The burbles maybe doubled in volume so I turned them off.

Burbles aside, I'd say the car got maybe 20-30% louder during lower RPMs and 60-80% louder at high RPMs?

Hard to really say though.

Net-net I don't find it obnoxious for daily driving and it's a ton of fun when gunning it. This is coming from someone who has no experience with aftermarket exhausts and was nervous about having it be too annoying. No regrets.
Do you have any concerns about passing emissions in WA State?
WA state doesn't do emissions testing afaik. And even if it did, I *think* it would be fine as the primary cats in the down pipes are still intact.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2021, 10:32 PM   #52
ESB
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by shb5007 View Post
Would the EL pipe void warranty?
Hopefully not. What I've read on this forum is that the dealership would have to suspect/prove that the exhaust change is what caused the issue. Seems low risk.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2021, 05:32 PM   #53
No_curebimmer
~Spyder
Sweden
Rep
Drives: '19 M2C Hockenheim 6sp

Garage List
Has anyone who ordered the AA EL midpipe in the last few months or so, received theirs?

I placed an order with mike@x-ph.com more than 2 months ago...and so far, bupkus, crickets, nada. The promised date keeps on pushing back and back...
      05-25-2021, 05:38 PM   #54
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Quote:
Originally Posted by No_curebimmer View Post
Has anyone who ordered the AA EL midpipe in the last few months or so, received theirs?

I placed an order with mike@x-ph.com more than 2 months ago...and so far, bupkus, crickets, nada. The promised date keeps on pushing back and back...

Hi,
It's unfair to say crickets (sounds like I'm ignoring you). You have sent me a number of messages and I responded to all of them the same day.

The ETA keeps getting pushed back by Active due to Covid delays

I understand the frustration, its been a long wait.

Name:  1.JPG
Views: 683
Size:  75.2 KB
Name:  2.JPG
Views: 685
Size:  69.9 KB
Name:  3.JPG
Views: 660
Size:  39.6 KB

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2021, 12:08 AM   #55
No_curebimmer
~Spyder
Sweden
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike@x-ph.com View Post
Quote:

Hi,
It's unfair to say crickets (sounds like I'm ignoring you). You have sent me a number of messages and I responded to all of them the same day.

The ETA keeps getting pushed back by Active due to Covid delays

I understand the frustration, its been a long wait.

Attachment 2612508
Attachment 2612509
Attachment 2612510
Oh no…that came out baad, unwise words selection. My apologies Mike!!

Everyone…FYI, my inquiries were always answered by Mike and his team. X-PH has a super solid reputation, excellent customer service and my previous shopping experience has been 5 stars.

I certainly DID NOT mean X-PH as a vendor…I meant to express my disappointment that AA is still working through the Equal Length midpipe backlog and has not provided their distributors a solid shipping date on the latest EL batch...my shipping date moved a few times.

It seemed to me, from the lack of new EL related posts, that no-one else received their EL in the last few months, so likely it was a 1-2 batch at the beginning or the year, and now production slowed to a halt…so crickets from AA, not mike@x-ph.com
      05-26-2021, 03:09 AM   #56
Bee Pee
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: AW M2 DCT

Quote:

Everyone…FYI, my inquiries were always answered by Mike and his team. X-PH has a super solid reputation, excellent customer service and my previous shopping experience has been 5 stars.....

…so crickets from AA, not mike@x-ph.com
FWIW +1 for props to Mike@XPH.

I've bought stuff from him over the years and service has always been 1st class eventhough I'm in the UK !!!

Current '22 X3M LCI..
Appreciate 1
      05-26-2021, 10:30 AM   #57
mike@x-ph.com
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Everyone…FYI, my inquiries were always answered by Mike and his team. X-PH has a super solid reputation, excellent customer service and my previous shopping experience has been 5 stars.

I certainly DID NOT mean X-PH as a vendor…I meant to express my disappointment that AA is still working through the Equal Length midpipe backlog and has not provided their distributors a solid shipping date on the latest EL batch...my shipping date moved a few times.

It seemed to me, from the lack of new EL related posts, that no-one else received their EL in the last few months, so likely it was a 1-2 batch at the beginning or the year, and now production slowed to a halt…so crickets from AA, not mike@x-ph.com
i knew you did not mean that way.
Thank you for clearing it up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bee Pee View Post
FWIW +1 for props to Mike@XPH.

I've bought stuff from him over the years and service has always been 1st class eventhough I'm in the UK !!!
Thank you!!

Appreciate 0
      05-26-2021, 12:52 PM   #58
iWayne
///M2
United_States
Rep

I've given up on getting updates - just setting yourself up for disappointment. Rather have the surprise of having it delivered one day
Appreciate 2
Nicname351.00
      05-26-2021, 01:54 PM   #59
jrodrg
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: none yet

Quote:

I placed mine Mid April and called AA yesterday. Delayed until end of June now.

At this point I'm not bothering Mike anymore because he just copies and pastes the same response over and over lol.

As soon as I moved from NY to TN I ordered an AR-15 back in NOV; still don't have that either.

I guess this is how it goes. I'll wait as long as I can but I'm getting the itch to sell my car with how the used market is.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2021, 08:45 AM   #60
mike@x-ph.com
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrodrg View Post
I placed mine Mid April and called AA yesterday. Delayed until end of June now.

At this point I'm not bothering Mike anymore because he just copies and pastes the same response over and over lol.

The June ETA might be for new orders only, I'm double-checking with AA, and I'll confirm very soon

Appreciate 0
      05-27-2021, 09:56 AM   #61
No_curebimmer
~Spyder
Sweden
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
i knew you did not mean that way.
Thank you for clearing it up
Sorry for the confusion and thanks for understanding Mike - our community is blessed to have you as a forum sponsor and vendor!

To minimize heartburn, I guess I'll stop monitoring the AA EL production and move on...and some day, it will magically show up!
      05-27-2021, 03:29 PM   #62
pawelczyk7
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 bmw m2 comp 6spd

thx Mike
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2021, 04:15 PM   #63
mike@x-ph.com
United_States
Rep

I have bad news

Per Active,
the equal length midpipes are arriving in late June. Active will first ship the non-res ones which they estimate will take up to 2 weeks for all the orders to be shipped out.

Once that's done, the resonated midpipes will ship

Appreciate 0
      05-27-2021, 04:28 PM   #64
No_curebimmer
~Spyder
Sweden
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

The June ETA might be for new orders only, I'm double-checking with AA, and I'll confirm very soon
Thanks Mike...please post any updates you may get from AA, especially for old(er) orders, say > 2-3 months.

The global supply-chain issue is evident in most industries, so while we understand, we still hope that our EL orders won't be too heavily affected right?

P.S.Side-bar question for mike@x-ph.com:
Are the production delays primarily for M2C EL mid-pipe? What about the single mid-pipe or the new backbox muffler that AA came out with earlier in the year?

My ultimate exhaust setup = stock downpipes + AA EL mid-pipe + AA valved rear axle-back exhaust, so if the backbox is more readily available, I may want to place an order ASAP...
      05-27-2021, 05:13 PM   #65
mike@x-ph.com
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thanks Mike...please post any updates you may get from AA, especially for old(er) orders, say > 2-3 months.

The global supply-chain issue is evident in most industries, so while we understand, we still hope that our EL orders won't be too heavily affected right?

Are the production delays primarily for M2C EL mid-pipe? What about the single mid-pipe or the new backbox muffler that AA came out with earlier in the year?

My ultimate exhaust setup = stock downpipes + AA EL mid-pipe + AA valved rear axle-back exhaust, so if the backbox is more readily available, I may want to place an order ASAP...
Last i checked the single midpipes are in stock, same for the valved rear section

Appreciate 0
      05-28-2021, 02:08 AM   #66
No_curebimmer
~Spyder
Sweden
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:

Last i checked the single midpipes are in stock, same for the valved rear section
Thanks Mike…curious George here…wondering, are you aware of what is impacting the EL production vs the single midpipe or the valved backbox? Are you in the position to comment/share with us what AA is communicating to you…is it simply, push the delivery date a-la Dinan???

AFAIK, all AA exhaust parts are still made of same/similar SS materials, and the EL tooling, molds + R&D are already complete since a few EL's are already in the wild. Not really questioning the state of things, it is what it is, and we will all get our EL if we are willing to wait long enough. I'm just curious and (secretly) wished that AA would be a little more transparent with their distribution network and their clients regarding their production concerns.

In my line of work, we too have experienced supply chain issues (primarily microchips, electronics, but metal parts are good to go) essentially impacting our current contractual obligations. However, our leadership team feels that we owe to our customers frequent updates w.r.t what is the delay, and especially what we are doing to rectify it (i.e. partial product re-design, switch suppliers, etc.). Still, the message is sour, but at least our customers are kept abreast with what our organization is doing (no guessing game).

While certainly valid many times over, some companies seem to leverage the COVID pandemic as an escape clause, or reasoning to not deliver per contract. We certainly experienced that with a few of of our vendors from China…while a Singaporean vendor stepped up to the plate to fill the void so to speak, despite them having some common denominator vendors with these Chinese companies.

The measure of a company isn't how well it can perform during up/good times, but how it manages their customers and products during down/negative times. Chiefly for this reason, Dinan will not be getting my business…

/rant