BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > Wireless Android box for ID6,7,8 without installation

04-13-2023, 12:30 PM   #1
maximen13
Rep
Drives: Bmw m2

Wireless Android box for ID6,7,8 without installation

I found this Android boxes that they connect to the original wireless bmw CarPlay without any installation, i have been looking for something like this for a while.. i found 2 types of box, one is cheaper but UI looks worse:

https://a.aliexpress.com/_EwCdauP
https://a.aliexpress.com/_Exb6Uuf

If anyone has this etc post comments to know if is working well, also if you find a better price you can post it here, anyway probably i will buy one because i change from android&ios and with this we can have all in one without problems about android auto in android phones.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2023, 11:36 PM   #2
silstream
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 LCI Black Shadow Ed.

I've ordered the more expensive one of the two, that in theory, includes Android Auto support. I was going to get an MMI box but have struggled to find a cheap one that works with ID6 and the BimmerTech option is just way overpriced (to me at least), so apart from the easier install, this'll be a good option if it works...

I'll report back once it arrives...
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2023, 06:49 PM   #3
maximen13
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by silstream View Post
I've ordered the more expensive one of the two, that in theory, includes Android Auto support. I was going to get an MMI box but have struggled to find a cheap one that works with ID6 and the BimmerTech option is just way overpriced (to me at least), so apart from the easier install, this'll be a good option if it works...

I'll report back once it arrives...
Perfect, tell us how it works and some photo / video will be great!
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2023, 09:41 PM   #4
silstream
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Ok so the Android box arrived and it's easy enough to setup as it basically tricks IDrive into thinking it's an Apple CarPlay device.

It's a slick enough UI and performance seems ok. However, I didn't get too far testing it as you need a separate SIM (and therein contract) for it to get mobile data. I wasn't sure if there was an option for me to tether my phone via WiFi (not supported) or Bluetooth (only one-way support so that my phone & music can be played but for any of the Google apps I'd need mobile data). Thankfully I already spoke to the manufacturer and they have a US warehouse I can return it to.

Overall it's good progress and maybe later versions will support a tethered Bluetooth/WiFi connection from your phone.

I actually separately went and bought the RoadTop MMI unit (which now supports ID6) for $250 and that's working great. Full wireless Android Auto and pretty easy to install (although like many I tried to fit it behind the headunit but with the Harmon Kardon headunit there's not enough room so I ended up having to take out the glovebox, again not as hard as some reviews make out). Happy to provide any more details on the installation...

Last edited by silstream; 05-02-2023 at 09:52 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2023, 08:01 AM   #5
MySeLf.M2
Rep
Drives: M2 LCI 2017

Very interested in this kind of device if it can act like a wireless carplay -> Android auto (wireless or not).

Not sure that is the case. It seems more like a wireless carplay > Android head unit (not Android auto), right?
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2023, 09:34 AM   #6
Kohner86
Private
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C

silstream regarding the inability to get internet tethering working, you can't connect to a wifi hotspot from it? Like one running on your phone?

The device looks really promising but that seems like a deal killer.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2023, 01:35 PM   #7
maximen13
Rep

I bought one, it will arrive next week, for what you say about the internet connection, I think it is a requirement that you insert a sim card, in my case there is no problem since my operator offers me the possibility of having several sims from my phone line.

I Will tell you more Next week.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2023, 07:13 PM   #8
MySeLf.M2
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by maximen13 View Post
I bought one, it will arrive next week, for what you say about the internet connection, I think it is a requirement that you insert a sim card, in my case there is no problem since my operator offers me the possibility of having several sims from my phone line.

I Will tell you more Next week.
I also have no issues with running a SIM card for the data.
Curious to see if it allows real Android auto and how it integrates with bmw buttons.

Can't wait!
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2023, 11:14 AM   #9
silstream
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kohner86 View Post
silstream regarding the inability to get internet tethering working, you can't connect to a wifi hotspot from it? Like one running on your phone?

The device looks really promising but that seems like a deal killer.
I tried several options to see if I could tether but none were available. The device has no wifi and the only bluetooth connectivity was to connect for audio playback and calls, but no option to connect to a bluetooth tethered phone. In short, the only way I could see to run any of the built-in apps (or add new from the Google Play store) is via a SIM card data connection.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2023, 11:16 AM   #10
silstream
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MySeLf.M2 View Post
Very interested in this kind of device if it can act like a wireless carplay -> Android auto (wireless or not).

Not sure that is the case. It seems more like a wireless carplay > Android head unit (not Android auto), right?
The device I purchased claims to fully support Android Auto, but I'll admit without being able to connect it I couldn't test this directly. It is a separate Android device as you suggest though and so has no dependency on your phone.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2023, 11:19 AM   #11
silstream
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I also have no issues with running a SIM card for the data.
Curious to see if it allows real Android auto and how it integrates with bmw buttons.

Can't wait!
Integration with IDrive controller and steering wheel buttons was pretty good. I was able to cycle through the various app list with the wheel and slide between pages by rocking the controller left and right, but I didn't get as far in the setup to test if the more specific IDrive buttons were working (e.g. will the Nav button open up Google Maps or Waze?)
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2023, 05:35 PM   #12
SAinSurrey
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by silstream View Post
Integration with IDrive controller and steering wheel buttons was pretty good. I was able to cycle through the various app list with the wheel and slide between pages by rocking the controller left and right, but I didn't get as far in the setup to test if the more specific IDrive buttons were working (e.g. will the Nav button open up Google Maps or Waze?)
I have a different MMI box for Android Auto and it does work well except for the functionality to us the touch screen. Does the one you have allow touch screen input?

Can you post a link to the website?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2023, 08:47 PM   #13
MySeLf.M2
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAinSurrey View Post
I have a different MMI box for Android Auto and it does work well except for the functionality to us the touch screen. Does the one you have allow touch screen input?

Can you post a link to the website?

Thanks!
Did you notice any degradation in sounds quality running sounds through AUX? (Another limitation of MMI boxes)?
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2023, 08:52 PM   #14
SAinSurrey
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

No, actually the opposite and the MMI box has adjustment of multiple frequencies. The problem then comes when you switch audio between the MMI box and the audio through the OEM system.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2023, 07:17 AM   #15
maximen13
Rep

Just received the mmi box, i had only 10 min to play with It, 2 problems that i have, voice not works with Google assistant, Waze etc, calls with phone are ok.. i dont know if it is a configuration problema, maybe, and the second is that knob is working at the menus but when you enter Spotify, Maps etc knob control doesnt works.... So if you dont have touchscreen you have a huge problem, i will post more photos etc later, but It seems that is not 100% integrated with id6 system..

Last edited by maximen13; 05-22-2023 at 08:10 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2023, 11:21 PM   #16
DriftKr6l
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M2 Comp

Interested in this, was also thinking of doing this but looking for reviews of which box works best.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2023, 04:06 AM   #17
MySeLf.M2
Rep

Thank you everyone for your feedback.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maximen13 View Post
Just received the mmi box, i had only 10 min to play with It, 2 problems that i have, voice not works with Google assistant, Waze etc, calls with phone are ok.. i dont know if it is a configuration problema, maybe, and the second is that knob is working at the menus but when you enter Spotify, Maps etc knob control doesnt works.... So if you dont have touchscreen you have a huge problem, i will post more photos etc later, but It seems that is not 100% integrated with id6 system..
Do you have any updates regarding this?
Were you able to solve those issues?
Which box did you buy specifically (Model / URL)?

Thank you in advance
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2023, 12:19 PM   #18
maximen13
Rep

Quote:
Thank you everyone for your feedback.

Do you have any updates regarding this?
Were you able to solve those issues?
Which box did you buy specifically (Model / URL)?

Thank you in advance
Hello, i didnt hace time to do any video etc, this weekend i Will do It, i have been talking with the Seller and he told me that is talking with the "engineers" to solve the microphone problem, but I can tell you that as a solution to not having to disassemble anything to install an android auto box it can be useful, but it is not an experience of 10, since as I mentioned, even if the microphone works, once inside an app you have the interface like the one of a mobile and it only works by touch screen.

I Will do a video this friday if i have time.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2023, 11:01 PM   #19
MySeLf.M2
Rep

Thank you for the feedback. Any news on that video?! 🙂
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2023, 07:52 PM   #20
woodquarter
Rep
Drives: X3 2018 (G01), 3.0xd

Hi!

How are you guys doing with the AI boxes? Do they still work? Can anybody report what specific box and idrive version they have and what is working and what not?

Thank you!
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2023, 12:31 AM   #21
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Bmw M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodquarter View Post
Hi!

How are you guys doing with the AI boxes? Do they still work? Can anybody report what specific box and idrive version they have and what is working and what not?

Thank you!
I don't use those wireless boxes linked above.

What I personally have is a head unit mmi box that acts as a piggy back between the car and the idrive headunit. This enables android auto and apple car play (both wirelessly). Check out this thread for more info: https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1675929

I have the road top box, I highly recommend these guys because their customer service is absolutely top notch. I installed it underneath of the idrive head unit, and so far everything works flawlessly, so no complaints from me.
      02-16-2024, 02:34 AM   #22
GTwice
Private
Italy
Rep
Drives: E85 Z4 3.0si / F87 M2

This seems like a very interesting development, but the lack of a second wifi to connect to a phone hotspot seems like a major oversight... Why? Are there any devices that have that?
Appreciate 0