BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > N55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > AFR ok on JB+/Dinan Sports Tuner?

02-24-2019, 06:17 PM   #1
widetyres
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M3 E92 DCT, 2012

AFR ok on JB+/Dinan Sports Tuner?

Hi,

I’ve been keen on getting a JB+/Dinan Sports Tuner, but I was wondering if anyone with one has checked their AFR whilst using it?

I came across a post of with some dynos (admittedly not for an N55, but an N20) that showed the engine was running richer on a JB+ (as compared to a JB4) and really starting to run too rich.

Link to that post here:
https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1432046

Does anyone have any experiences/knowledge on this?

I’m keen as I like the simplicity of these solutions, but the M2 is going to be a long term car for me, so I don’t want to risk any long term damage if the AFR is out.

Cheers.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2019, 07:37 PM   #2
ZM2
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 LBB M2

Having used a couple piggybacks and then switching to bootmod3, I can say that the car runs much smoother and has more power with BM3.

You may want to go that route vs worrying about piggyback performance.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2019, 03:07 PM   #3
XutvJet
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2011 Cayman Base, 2016 M235

Running rich isn't damaging like running lean. I wouldn't be surprised if these simple piggybacks cause a richer condition under boost given what they are doing to boost sensor.

I've had the DinanSport on the M235 for about a year. I've played around with all the settings (Sport/Sport+/Race). There is additional power in all the modes, BUT it comes at at a cost, especially with the 6MT cars. Even in the Sport setting, it makes the throttle hyperactive when in the Sport and Sport+ driving modes. There is more lag during normal driving and on harder shifts. I think it has to do with the DME trying to understand why so much boost is being commanded.

My butt dyno is pretty well tuned and I can notice minor changes. Overall, I've found the Sport (about 2psi+) setting to be the best mode for the least amount of lag and the best driveability is all temps. HOWEVER, the driving dynamics with the stock tune (i.e., DinanSport set to "Stock") delivers, without a doubt, the best driving experience. It's hard to explain unless you've add a DinanSport or JB+, but the motor just doesn't feel as flexible or smooth winding with these piggybacks running.

Right now, my DinanSport in stock mode and enjoying it. I'll be installing an HJS Euro 300 cell downpipe in a few weeks. I'm going to see how that feels and then I may turn the DinanSport back on. If it still doesn't drive as smoothly as I like, I'll likely sell it and get a flash tune as some point.
Appreciate 1
ZM22813.50
      02-25-2019, 03:17 PM   #4
ZM2
Brigadier General
Rep

XutvJet

My experience with the Sport Tuner was very similar.

Are you getting your 300cell thru Fabspeed or somewhere else?
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2019, 03:23 PM   #5
widetyres
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M3 E92 DCT, 2012

Thanks for the experiences on this.

I think I will park the idea of getting one of these and get a tune (bootmod3 or similar).

Cheers all!
Appreciate 1
ZM22813.50
      02-25-2019, 03:53 PM   #6
XutvJet
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZM2 View Post
XutvJet

My experience with the Sport Tuner was very similar.

Are you getting your 300cell thru Fabspeed or somewhere else?
I got the HJS Euro 6 300 cell downpipe from Jeff at Topgear Solutions (vendor on this site). Jeff orders from Fabspeed, whom is the only company in the US able to get the part. I can tell you it was quite the fiasco because FS gave Jeff and I grief for wanting to order the part even though offer it on their website. They couldn't understand why I wanted the Euro 6 when their Sport Cat was better performing. I wanted the Euro 6 because it has near OEM build quality and looks, has a higher quality and larger HJS cat, won't be quite as loud, and has around 80% of the flow capability of the FS Sport Cat. FS said the Euro 6 DP would take 6+ weeks to get to me. HJS had it to me from Germany to Kansas in 2 weeks. It looks great.
Poochie9104.50
      02-25-2019, 03:58 PM   #7
ZM2
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by XutvJet View Post
I got the HJS Euro 6 300 cell downpipe from Jeff at Topgear Solutions (vendor on this site). Jeff orders from Fabspeed, whom is the only company in the US able to get the part. I can tell you it was quite the fiasco because FS gave Jeff and I grief for wanting to order the part even though offer it on their website. They couldn't understand why I wanted the Euro 6 when their Sport Cat was better performing. I wanted the Euro 6 because it has near OEM build quality and looks, has a higher quality and larger HJS cat, won't be quite as loud, and has around 80% of the flow capability of the FS Sport Cat. FS said the Euro 6 DP would take 6+ weeks to get to me. HJS had it to me from Germany to Kansas in 2 weeks. It looks great.
All the same reasons I’m going 300cell.

FS told me 6-weeks, glad to hear it only took two weeks!
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2019, 04:22 PM   #8
XutvJet
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by widetyres View Post
Thanks for the experiences on this.

I think I will park the idea of getting one of these and get a tune (bootmod3 or similar).

Cheers all!
Good decision.