BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > Driver Restraint System Malfunction after Steering Wheel Swap

03-12-2024, 01:46 PM   #1
bhong
Rep
Drives: NA

Driver Restraint System Malfunction after Steering Wheel Swap

I switched back to my stock steering wheel, now I have this error message on my car and will not go away after a restart or disconnecting/reconnecting the battery. I had to remove the steering wheel airbag and had the battery still connected during the install. Is there a way I can clear this without potentially paying for a trip to the dealer? I don't have Bimmercode or Bimmerlink but will either of these apps clear this?
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2024, 12:33 PM   #2
Got f1?
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 E46 ZHP, 20 X3M, M2CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhong View Post
I switched back to my stock steering wheel, now I have this error message on my car and will not go away after a restart or disconnecting/reconnecting the battery. I had to remove the steering wheel airbag and had the battery still connected during the install. Is there a way I can clear this without potentially paying for a trip to the dealer? I don't have Bimmercode or Bimmerlink but will either of these apps clear this?
Unfortunately the only way to avoid this is by disconnecting the battery during a swap which you should always do anytime you are working on SRS (airbag) items. It will need to be cleared with a capable tool.

You can try to disconnect the battery for 15-20 minutes but doubtful that will work
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2024, 03:37 AM   #3
maxfrompine
Rep
Drives: BMW M2C

Garage List
if you have bmw Tool32 you can try to remove the codes in the Airbag ecu...maybe!
      03-25-2024, 12:31 PM   #4
bhong
Rep
Drives: NA

Ended up purchasing a VeePeak OBDII scanner paired with the BimmerLink app and was able to clear the code but good to know the battery should be disconnected prior to working on anything with airbags.
Appreciate 0