BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > N55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > Anybody else get a loud exhaust bang when downshifting 3rd to 2nd around 3k rpm?

05-03-2022, 11:48 PM   #1
convolution
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M2

Anybody else get a loud exhaust bang when downshifting 3rd to 2nd around 3k rpm?

Hi, so on a stock 2017 6MT OG M2, I accidentally found that in sport mode (not sport+) if I have the revs slightly above the 3000rpm line in 3rd gear and downshift to 2nd, there is a very loud bang out of the exhaust. It's much louder than the normal sport burbles and sounds almost like a gunshot or firework going off. The loudness was pretty surprising for a stock vehicle. Seems like on the blip a bunch of gas gets sucked into the exhaust by the turbo and it goes off?

It doesn't happen 100% of the time maybe like 80% of the time. It also only happens after the car has been warmed up. Going downhill, even slightly, also helps. After getting it to bang, I usually have to keep driving for a few minutes normally in order to be able to do it again, so I'm not able to keep doing it back to back with 3rd to 2nd gear downshifts. It also only works when downshifting from a pretty tight rpm range maybe like 3050-3200?

Wondering if anyone else has found anything similar on their car or if the same behavior also is on other M2s.

I've since swapped in a sport cat and the car still does it but louder.

Last edited by convolution; 05-04-2022 at 12:03 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2022, 09:47 PM   #2
Mosely
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '18 M2 | '20 X5 | '07 E92

Quote:
Originally Posted by convolution View Post
Hi, so on a stock 2017 6MT OG M2, I accidentally found that in sport mode (not sport+) if I have the revs slightly above the 3000rpm line in 3rd gear and downshift to 2nd, there is a very loud bang out of the exhaust. It's much louder than the normal sport burbles and sounds almost like a gunshot or firework going off. The loudness was pretty surprising for a stock vehicle. Seems like on the blip a bunch of gas gets sucked into the exhaust by the turbo and it goes off?

It doesn't happen 100% of the time maybe like 80% of the time. It also only happens after the car has been warmed up. Going downhill, even slightly, also helps. After getting it to bang, I usually have to keep driving for a few minutes normally in order to be able to do it again, so I'm not able to keep doing it back to back with 3rd to 2nd gear downshifts. It also only works when downshifting from a pretty tight rpm range maybe like 3050-3200?

Wondering if anyone else has found anything similar on their car or if the same behavior also is on other M2s.

Turn on sport plus, go full throttle in second gear from about 3500 RPM and lift right at 5500-6000 and you will get a loud gunshot bang. used to come up on here all the time when the M2 first came out. Enjoy and don't crash!

Appreciate 0
      05-09-2022, 11:46 PM   #3
M2RAW
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW F87 M2 BASE

2nd gear and full throttle, let go 4500rpm. One gunshot lmao
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2022, 10:25 AM   #4
OG///M
Always +10MPH
United_States
Rep
Drives: 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by convolution View Post

Yep it's always been there even on a bone stock M2.
IMO the burbles and pops that came with the OGM2 was the perfect balance. It only happens in certain conditions and it's subtle enough where half the times you just get the mechanical decel note instead of burbles and pops.

Certain cars that were introduced after just had way too much burbles tuned in, not to mention the horrid aftermarket tunes that just obnoxiously pop all the time.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2022, 06:06 PM   #5
Aloha Joe
Hanapaa!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 6mt, LBB

I hate posts like this, it makes me want to go out and try it

I've had my OG 17 brand new, and never noticed it so far, but I'll be driving it tomorrow & try what you mentioned.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2022, 01:59 PM   #6
convolution
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosely View Post
Turn on sport plus, go full throttle in second gear from about 3500 RPM and lift right at 5500-6000 and you will get a loud gunshot bang. used to come up on here all the time when the M2 first came out. Enjoy and don't crash!
Amazing. Tried this on my car recently and got it to bang in this rev range too. Thanks for sharing
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2022, 02:07 PM   #7
(K)
Captain
Rep
Drives: '21 M2C 6MT (R.I.P.)

With the Competition and Akrapovic exhaust, you'll get a pop on upshifts to 3rd under medium load and a *SNAP* on upshifts with heavy load. It's awesome.
Appreciate 0