BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > N55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > Looking to buy M2 N55 INTERCOOLER/Stage 1 map

02-23-2022, 08:14 AM   #1
sam_m2
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Looking to buy M2 N55 INTERCOOLER/Stage 1 map

Hi there, have had my M2 a few years now (is a 67 plate BMW M2 N55 LCI) and looking for a bit more power but running it safely is key for me and am aware a intercooler is a must have really for tuning these, so I have decided on a CSF intercooler which I have seen for £570 then after this is fitted I am looking to go stage 1 https://www.mlperformance.co.uk/product ... ntercooler

My question is anybody just running CSF intercooler upgrade and a stage 1 map, if so how did the car feel? Not worried about gains just drivability improvement/bit more power/torque.

2nd question - £570 seems about the best price I can get one of these for does this sound about right? If anyone has a CSF intercooler for M2/n55 for sale and any other bits please let me know could possibly be interested in buying intercooler plus an intake if available together.

Many thanks!
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2022, 09:05 AM   #2
M2sox
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

I have a CSF intercooler as i like to mod my cars and the stock intercooler is not really up to the job,Have a look at evolve M2 they done a vid on it tested and good gains.
I will have a Burger intake for sale soon.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2022, 08:22 PM   #3
BallHog5873
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 997.2 Manual, 2016 328D Wagon

Yeah Im running a VRSF intercooler and stage 1 map. I couldn't feel any difference with the intercooler before I tuned.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2022, 11:29 AM   #4
BSM n54iS
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '11 335is | '16 Macan Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisDiazpimp View Post
Keep me posted when you want to sell
^ is a scammer, messaged me twice randomly to txt him for something I'm not buying, changed name, fake profile for 1 positive itrader rating
GruppeM CF Intake | AR Resonated DP | ER CP | Turbosmart RacePort BOV | Cobb FMIC | RB Inlets | RB External Mishi/Turner OCC | Michelin PS4 | BMW Performance Springs/Bilstein B8 + Dinan & M3 bits | BMW Brembo BBK | BMW Performance CF Spoiler | BMW Performance CF Lip | BMW Performance Alcantara | PS Designs GTS Armrest | AG H6-40 | Rear Seat Delete
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2022, 12:23 PM   #5
Dasnub
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2

Not running a CSF but am stage 1 93 octane with an intercooler. The torque is definitely more violent- quite noticeable vs stock.

One thing to be cautious of with intercoolers- you’ll see a lot of “bigger is always better” arguments and almost all intake temperature charts/tests are taken at high rpm and speed. In other words, most of those tests are measuring effectiveness more in a track type scenario than daily driving. You’ll see fancy graphs of intake temps dropping as speed increases- wow!

Not always. A big intercooler heat soaks very quickly when stopped at lights, in traffic, etc. Stage 1 really doesn’t necessitate a large intercooler and a smaller intercooler will not heat soak as much at idle. It will also shed heat more quickly. So if you’re doing a high speed run here and there, and it’s a daily driver, a 5” intercooler is potentially a better option for you.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2022, 12:44 PM   #6
Wolfman’s Brother
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dasnub View Post
Not running a CSF but am stage 1 93 octane with an intercooler. The torque is definitely more violent- quite noticeable vs stock.

One thing to be cautious of with intercoolers- you’ll see a lot of “bigger is always better” arguments and almost all intake temperature charts/tests are taken at high rpm and speed. In other words, most of those tests are measuring effectiveness more in a track type scenario than daily driving. You’ll see fancy graphs of intake temps dropping as speed increases- wow!

Not always. A big intercooler heat soaks very quickly when stopped at lights, in traffic, etc. Stage 1 really doesn’t necessitate a large intercooler and a smaller intercooler will not heat soak as much at idle. It will also shed heat more quickly. So if you’re doing a high speed run here and there, and it’s a daily driver, a 5” intercooler is potentially a better option for you.
The data shows performance under WOT conditions, which makes sense because that’s when IATs matter. Smaller is not better. Better is better.

That’s not to say you need a Wagner III for a stage 1 tune, but the idea that you want a less effective intercooler because it provides better performance at idle at a stop light is misguided.

This has been litigated on here ad nauseam.

Last edited by Wolfman’s Brother; 02-26-2022 at 12:56 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2022, 06:22 PM   #7
Dasnub
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfman’s Brother View Post
The data shows performance under WOT conditions, which makes sense because that’s when IATs matter. Smaller is not better. Better is better.

That’s not to say you need a Wagner III for a stage 1 tune, but the idea that you want a less effective intercooler because it provides better performance at idle at a stop light is misguided.

What a completely nonsensical post.

First you want to argue that the only thing that matters is WOT. IATs also matter when it’s 85+ degrees outside on hot blacktop and you’re moving 0 miles per hour. Many, many people want nothing more than to give their cars a little juice from stoplight to stoplight, and big intercoolers are TERRIBLE for this. They retain a ton more heat due to their mass and the fact that they don’t get enough fast moving air through them to cool anything. The same is true of denser fin packs.

Second, you imply you must get the “better” intercooler, then turn around and say “You don’t need a Wagner III because it’s overkill.” Fact is, the same rule you apply to the Wagner III applies to an 8” intercooler for stage 1. You simply don’t need it. This isn’t a perfect world where all of these things cost the same. Bigger is more expensive, it’s more weight, etc. It has legitimate downsides. Why would you pay MORE for a product that does LESS for your application?

OP- I run a 5” intercooler on a stage 1 tune. I log it regularly. It is perfectly capable- preferable I’d say- for your application if it’s a daily driver and you aren’t tracking you car. If you are, stick with something larger.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2022, 09:42 PM   #8
Wolfman’s Brother
Banned
Rep

A smaller, less effective intercooler is best for “giving your car a little juice from stoplight to stoplight.”

Got it.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2022, 01:49 PM   #9
AmuroRay
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfman’s Brother View Post

This is correct.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2022, 01:50 PM   #10
AmuroRay
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dasnub View Post

OP- I run a 5” intercooler on a stage 1 tune. I log it regularly. It is perfectly capable- preferable I’d say- for your application if it’s a daily driver and you aren’t tracking you car. If you are, stick with something larger.
This is also correct.
Appreciate 0