BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > N55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > Shaking on cold start

03-16-2021, 10:12 PM   #1
Duke Silver
Private
Rep
Drives: '17 MG M2

Shaking on cold start

Just wondering if anyone has encountered an issue which I currently have, when I start the car from a cold start I get ~2 seconds where the car slightly shakes but the revs don't seem to dip. I car the car custom tuned using ECUtek and have a cold start delete, I'm guessing it could possibly be because of that.

I've got it booked in for him to look at the tune, but he mentioned that he's a little unsure what it could be. It may be worth removing the cold start delete or tune and seeing if its doing it on the stock tune.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2021, 10:20 PM   #2
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Bmw M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke Silver View Post
Just wondering if anyone has encountered an issue which I currently have, when I start the car from a cold start I get ~2 seconds where the car slightly shakes but the revs don't seem to dip. I car the car custom tuned using ECUtek and have a cold start delete, I'm guessing it could possibly be because of that.

I've got it booked in for him to look at the tune, but he mentioned that he's a little unsure what it could be. It may be worth removing the cold start delete or tune and seeing if its doing it on the stock tune.
Do you have a cold air intake?

What are your mods?
      03-16-2021, 10:25 PM   #3
ZM2
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 LBB M2

Quote:

Are you running an Emix or E85?

I had that shaking a couple times and it went away by turning the cold start back to OEM (I had it turned off). I don't know for sure, but just kind of wondered if it was ethanol fuel separation from the car sitting for a while and the higher cold start revs give the car more fuel and it pushes thru it?

No idea, tho. I never had the shaking with cold start disabled when running 93.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2021, 10:41 PM   #4
Duke Silver
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by F87source View Post
Do you have a cold air intake?

What are your mods?
The only thing I changed since it was tuned 4000km ago was the turbosmart diverter valve, but currently it has the following.

Fabspeed cat + remus exhaust
Wagner Evo II comp intercooler
charge + boost pipe
turbosmart diverter valve
NGK one step colder plugs from when I ran BM3 (6000km old)

And I don't have a cold air intake installed.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2021, 10:44 PM   #5
Duke Silver
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZM2 View Post
Are you running an Emix or E85?

I had that shaking a couple times and it went away by turning the cold start back to OEM (I had it turned off). I don't know for sure, but just kind of wondered if it was ethanol fuel separation from the car sitting for a while and the higher cold start revs give the car more fuel and it pushes thru it?

No idea, tho. I never had the shaking with cold start disabled when running 93.
Its running 98Ron fuel, originally I thought it could have been a bad batch of fuel but it seems to be doing still after 3 refills. I've heard the BM3 guys mention that in cold climates they get the shaking issue with the cold start delete. I'm not sure how ECUtek manages cold start delete as it may have to be setup by the tuner and not just a simple on/off like BM3.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2021, 11:05 PM   #6
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Its running 98Ron fuel, originally I thought it could have been a bad batch of fuel but it seems to be doing still after 3 refills. I've heard the BM3 guys mention that in cold climates they get the shaking issue with the cold start delete. I'm not sure how ECUtek manages cold start delete as it may have to be setup by the tuner and not just a simple on/off like BM3.
Log it and send it to your ecutek tuner, if they are any good they should be able to solve this.
      03-16-2021, 11:19 PM   #7
Duke Silver
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by F87source View Post
Log it and send it to your ecutek tuner, if they are any good they should be able to solve this.

I've been told to drop it off to him next Monday afternoon so that its cold for the next morning.

Hopefully its identifiable, I'm not sure how many BMW's he comes across as he tunes on many platforms. Worst case I'll just remove the cold start delete or try stock for a bit.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2021, 12:14 AM   #8
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
I've been told to drop it off to him next Monday afternoon so that its cold for the next morning.

Hopefully its identifiable, I'm not sure how many BMW's he comes across as he tunes on many platforms. Worst case I'll just remove the cold start delete or try stock for a bit.
Yeah I hope you get it resolved, good luck.