BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > N55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > NGK or Bosch spark plugs?

07-22-2022, 12:00 AM   #67
Leaveatrail86
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Bmw M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZM2 View Post
So far, so good.
I’m still having cut off at wot. Gapped to .26 on a precision raceworks ignition coil kit. Currently on e38. I think I read somewhere that you’re on e47?
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2022, 02:17 AM   #68
eeyang92
Captain
Rep
Drives: LBB M2 LCI 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by F87source View Post
Keep us posted with what nexsys says and the results of your upgrades!
Took me a few queries, but BM3 confirmed for me the "Nexsys Coils" option for the N55 maps is indeed the B58 coils. I reflashed my map and the engine feels even slightly smoother now - not sure if there were any power gains.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2022, 11:47 AM   #69
AmuroRay
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by eeyang92 View Post
Took me a few queries, but BM3 confirmed for me the "Nexsys Coils" option for the N55 maps is indeed the B58 coils. I reflashed my map and the engine feels even slightly smoother now - not sure if there were any power gains.
Any logs?
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2022, 01:08 AM   #70
shaneguags
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 Big Turbo BMW M2

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [9.42]
Quote:
Originally Posted by eeyang92 View Post
Quote:
Keep us posted with what nexsys says and the results of your upgrades!
they wouldn't necessarily give you more power, but rather a more smooth consistent power output. the coils are designed to allow you to raise gapping to an OEM setup around .025 - .028 range. you will mainly feel a difference if running ethanol and making more power. however, I'm on E60 with 660whp, on NGK 97506s gapped at .020, and stock coils and running consistent power. I feel like the B58 coils make a little difference and a waste of money if you gap down to the right number and if you have a solid tuner that knows what he is doing.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2022, 02:35 PM   #71
samsamdar
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: OG M2

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [6.67]
So the general consensus is to get the 330a plugs correct? Has anyone tried them out yet? And what gap should they be set to? Still usable for ethanol applications?
      08-02-2022, 03:00 PM   #72
chris719
Major General
Rep
Drives: '08 M Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by PackPride85 View Post
I'm not 100% sure I just see Bosch stops displaying the known part in their application guide after 2019 for all BMWs. BMW parts sites would likely still stock the Bosch part since the bmw part # didn't change.
Interestingly enough, Comp and CS 2021 both still show the Bosch non-A plug here:

https://parts.bmwnorthwest.com/p/BMW...120039634.html

However, the M2 CS Racing shows the NGK plug as OEM:

https://parts.bmwnorthwest.com/p/BMW...120039664.html
Appreciate 1
///M TOWN16539.00
      08-04-2022, 01:41 PM   #73
///M TOWN
United_States
Rep
Drives: M GmbH

Garage List
2018 M2  [8.82]
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris719 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by PackPride85 View Post
I'm not 100% sure I just see Bosch stops displaying the known part in their application guide after 2019 for all BMWs. BMW parts sites would likely still stock the Bosch part since the bmw part # didn't change.
Interestingly enough, Comp and CS 2021 both still show the Bosch non-A plug here:

https://parts.bmwnorthwest.com/p/BMW...120039634.html

However, the M2 CS Racing shows the NGK plug as OEM:

https://parts.bmwnorthwest.com/p/BMW...120039664.html
Interesting factoids

08-04-2022, 03:45 PM   #74
chris719
Major General
Rep
Drives: '08 M Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by samsamdar View Post
So the general consensus is to get the 330a plugs correct? Has anyone tried them out yet? And what gap should they be set to? Still usable for ethanol applications?
I think there's not really a good consensus. If you are running stock or Stage 1 seems like the safest bet is the 330 plug and stock gap. Personally, I would even fork over the money for the BMW branded plugs because they seem to all be made in Germany. Some of the Bosch branded plugs people have received in another thread were made in Russia and had really poor quality. Not sure if anyone is running the 330A plugs. If you are really pushing things, then maybe the NGK makes sense.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2022, 04:33 PM   #75
samsamdar
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: OG M2

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [6.67]
Quote:
Quote:
I think there's not really a good consensus. If you are running stock or Stage 1 seems like the safest bet is the 330 plug and stock gap. Personally, I would even fork over the money for the BMW branded plugs because they seem to all be made in Germany. Some of the Bosch branded plugs people have received in another thread were made in Russia and had really poor quality. Not sure if anyone is running the 330A plugs. If you are really pushing things, then maybe the NGK makes sense.
Screw it I'm just gonna get the NGKs lol
      08-04-2022, 08:31 PM   #76
shaneguags
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [9.42]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Screw it I'm just gonna get the NGKs lol
NGK 97506 will never do you wrong lol
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2022, 12:08 AM   #77
AmuroRay
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaneguags View Post
Yes they will. They have poor quality control and don’t work better than stock.
Appreciate 2
chris7197334.00
F87source7251.50
      08-05-2022, 01:35 AM   #78
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmuroRay View Post
Yes they will. They have poor quality control and don’t work better than stock.
+1

Imo the only sure thing guarantee of a good plug is OEM bmw. Made in Germany by Bosch for bmw.

If you Bosch directly it'll be made in Russia, and we have seen some questionable qc. If you go ngk then there are also some qc issues.

I'm kind of cheap and want fcp euro life time warranty so I'll likely go with the Bosch 330a.

But like I always say, going colder for no reason is just another thing that can cause issues with engine running (incomplete combustion, misfires, rough idles etc). Another reason why you shouldn't randomly pick spark plugs for no reason.
AmuroRay2282.50
      08-05-2022, 01:50 AM   #79
shaneguags
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [9.42]
Quote:
Quote:
Yes they will. They have poor quality control and don't work better than stock.
+1

Imo the only sure thing guarantee of a good plug is OEM bmw. Made in Germany by Bosch for bmw.

If you Bosch directly it'll be made in Russia, and we have seen some questionable qc. If you go ngk then there are also some qc issues.

I'm kind of cheap and want fcp euro life time warranty so I'll likely go with the Bosch 330a.

But like I always say, going colder for no reason is just another thing that can cause issues with engine running (incomplete combustion, misfires, rough idles etc). Another reason why you shouldn't randomly pick spark plugs for no reason.
well yea no one is going to upgrade OEM if on stock performance. I was referring to tuned vehicles that need them.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2022, 01:51 AM   #80
shaneguags
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [9.42]
Quote:
Quote:
Yes they will. They have poor quality control and don't work better than stock.
for stage 2+ and bigger turbo platforms yes they will.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2022, 02:46 AM   #81
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
well yea no one is going to upgrade OEM if on stock performance. I was referring to tuned vehicles that need them.
No that's not the case, it's not a yes no categorical answer where if you're modified plugs will help and if not they don't do anything. It depends on your unique and individual situation, you have to read the spark plugs to see if they're running too hot and only then should you go colder. Otherwise you could be throwing in more complexities into the tuning equation if you start encountering issues due to the colder plugs.

For example GT-Rs are running 700 whp on the same heat range plugs don't have any issues, why would a bmw running much less boost and power have any issues?

The n54 ran 2 step hotter plugs and had no issue back in the day running fbo + a tune pushing around 450 whp. The n55 plugs are 1 step colder and again never had issues, and the m2/s55 plugs are a step colder than that. So now you can see the picture of why going colder isn't an arbitrary yes or no decision based on what mods you have. It's based on how your individual car is reacting, and if your plugs are showing signs of running too hot or not.

Quote:
Like what? What benefits will we see vs. stock? Again it's not a yes or no answer, and if your plugs aren't over heating there will be no benefits of going colder. It could actually instead induce poorer running.

This is just like spark plug gaps.
AmuroRay2282.50
      08-05-2022, 03:34 AM   #82
shaneguags
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [9.42]
Quote:
Quote:
No that's not the case, it's not a yes no categorical answer where if you're modified plugs will help and if not they don't do anything. It depends on your unique and individual situation, you have to read the spark plugs to see if they're running too hot and only then should you go colder. Otherwise you could be throwing in more complexities into the tuning equation if you start encountering issues due to the colder plugs.

For example GT-Rs are running 700 whp on the same heat range plugs don't have any issues, why would a bmw running much less boost and power have any issues?

The n54 ran 2 step hotter plugs and had no issue back in the day running fbo + a tune pushing around 450 whp. The n55 plugs are 1 step colder and again never had issues, and the m2/s55 plugs are a step colder than that. So now you can see the picture of why going colder isn't an arbitrary yes or no decision based on what mods you have. It's based on how your individual car is reacting, and if your plugs are showing signs of running too hot or not.

Quote:
Like what? What benefits will we see vs. stock? Again it's not a yes or no answer, and if your plugs aren't over heating there will be no benefits of going colder. It could actually instead induce poorer running.

This is just like spark plug gaps.
I mean for my car's setup it is kinda needed. personally, I felt a difference when going colder on 93 pump but then again my setup is big turbo. from what I heard though, many people have been fine on NGK 97506 on stage 2 with some even stating that the car got rid of misfires and that the car felt smoother
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2022, 07:48 AM   #83
AmuroRay
Brigadier General
Rep

It's the opposite. The plugs have bad QC, and actually don't do anything better than a fresh set of OEM plugs. Unless your tuner specifically points to it as an issue, I would not change it.
      08-05-2022, 01:51 PM   #84
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
I mean for my car's setup it is kinda needed. personally, I felt a difference when going colder on 93 pump but then again my setup is big turbo. from what I heard though, many people have been fine on NGK 97506 on stage 2 with some even stating that the car got rid of misfires and that the car felt smoother
Unless your old stock plugs ran hot and there were clear signs of it being hot, then there no justification for colder.

I've never heard of people getting better operation switching to colder plugs. I've only hear of improvements when the old plugs were worn and way past their service life. I've also only heard of issues when people gap down too far.
      08-05-2022, 02:30 PM   #85
shaneguags
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [9.42]
Quote:
Quote:
Unless your old stock plugs ran hot and there were clear signs of it being hot, then there no justification for colder.

I've never heard of people getting better operation switching to colder plugs. I've only hear of improvements when the old plugs were worn and way past their service life. I've also only heard of issues when people gap down too far.
well I changed mine to NGK 97506 due to running higher boost (21 PSI) and since I bought the car without them changed. I personally found it to be helpful. I'm assuming the colder plugs are needed with an increase of boost and power around 500whp+
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2022, 02:27 AM   #86
ericlr1225
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 LCI 6MT

Quote:

In what way to tell whether it's running cold or hot? color of the plugs tips?
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2022, 03:06 AM   #87
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericlr1225 View Post
In what way to tell whether it's running cold or hot? color of the plugs tips?
Yup that's the primary way to do it, you can look at some guides online to teach you the general characteristics of how to read a plug.