BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > S55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > Terrible Fitment of Full AA system (with Single Midpipe)

04-30-2022, 12:25 AM   #1
CanadianComp
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M2 Competition

Terrible Fitment of Full AA system (with Single Midpipe)

So, I just had a full AA system installed consisting of the new valved rear axle back with their single mid pipe. It did not fit well at all... which was quite disappointing since I figured buying a full AA system would mean a nice easy clean install. Instead of mixing and matching or cutting the stock exhaust and adding just a back box.

My mechanic said its the worst fitting exhaust we've brought to him (me and my brothers have had him do lots of exhaust installs over the years). Even with the dropped F-brace he said he couldn't get the exhaust to have any clearance there (see pics), and the system was simply too long as well. Which makes me think of all those people that had melted diffusers from other AA systems... which were all with EL mid pipes from what I saw so was hoping that was part of the reason.

Long story short, I will likely have to take it to another shop that can possibly heat and bend it in places and cut some length off at the connector pipes to make it fit better... very annoying considering I was hoping to avoid this type of stuff by going with a full AA system.

Anyone else had similar issues in terms of fitment with AA?

[IMG][url=https://flic.kr/p/2nhzymE]
[IMG]Midpipe at F-Brace
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2022, 12:29 AM   #2
chasebish
chasebish
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2C

I installed EL midpipe paired with the AA axle back and the fitment was great
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2022, 12:33 AM   #3
CanadianComp
Private
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasebish View Post
I installed EL midpipe paired with the AA axle back and the fitment was great
Hmm I wonder if its the single mid pipe with their new valved box... Seems like not as many single mid pipe installs forsure.

Also, forgot add to original post it rattles horribly... especially on start up and sometimes acceleration obviously.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2022, 03:36 AM   #4
chasebish
chasebish
United_States
Rep

The rattle is probably due to the gaskets between the midpipe and downpipe being reused or not used at all. When I removed the stock exhaust from my car, they were wedged within the midpipe, so somebody installing it might not even know they were there.
Appreciate 2
      04-30-2022, 05:43 AM   #5
maxcbrdriver
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW 535xiT; 2021 BMW M2C

This is unfortunate news, this is the exact setup I've been eyeing. Keep us posted on how AA responds to this and what you're doing to make it work. I was thinking I could do the install myself with a Quickjack, but I'm in no position to make changes on the fly.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2022, 06:00 AM   #6
maxcbrdriver
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW 535xiT; 2021 BMW M2C

If it possible that they sent you a m3/m4 midpipe? Are there parts numbers you can check?
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2022, 09:04 AM   #7
SEAT TIME RULES
Major
Rep
Drives: 20 BMW M2C 17 Mazda MX-5 RF

Garage List
2020 BMW M2C  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianComp View Post
So, I just had a full AA system installed consisting of the new valved rear axle back with their single mid pipe. It did not fit well at all... which was quite disappointing since I figured buying a full AA system would mean a nice easy clean install. Instead of mixing and matching or cutting the stock exhaust and adding just a back box.

My mechanic said its the worst fitting exhaust we've brought to him (me and my brothers have had him do lots of exhaust installs over the years). Even with the dropped F-brace he said he couldn't get the exhaust to have any clearance there (see pics), and the system was simply too long as well. Which makes me think of all those people that had melted diffusers from other AA systems... which were all with EL mid pipes from what I saw so was hoping that was part of the reason.

Long story short, I will likely have to take it to another shop that can possibly heat and bend it in places and cut some length off at the connector pipes to make it fit better... very annoying considering I was hoping to avoid this type of stuff by going with a full AA system.

Anyone else had similar issues in terms of fitment with AA?

[IMG][url=https://flic.kr/p/2nhzymE]
[IMG]Midpipe at F-Brace
I had that exact setup on my 1st 2020 M2C. It needed to be tweeked some but was a great fit. The tech at my BMW store is very good at installing aftermarket exhausts..There isn't a lot of room under there as you know. AA makes great quality products so I'm surprised yours is fighting you.
My 2020M2C Build: https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1696726
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2022, 09:18 AM   #8
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Im surprised to hear that; it's a popular setup without any known fitment issues.

Im not sure what happened, but I recommend you contact AA for help and advice.

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 1
      04-30-2022, 10:08 AM   #9
chasebish
chasebish
United_States
Rep

Can you upload some more pictures of the install/under the car? I'm a bit suspicious that the install job might be the problem rather than the components
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2022, 10:09 AM   #10
CanadianComp
Private
Canada
Rep

Quote:
The rattle is probably due to the gaskets between the midpipe and downpipe being reused or not used at all. When I removed the stock exhaust from my car, they were wedged within the midpipe, so somebody installing it might not even know they were there.
Hmm interesting, since it did sound like it was coming from that area. You mean like they were packed in there, for shipping? I'll make sure to get them to check that when I take it in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxcbrdriver View Post
If it possible that they sent you a m3/m4 midpipe? Are there parts numbers you can check?
Could be? Anyone know if there is a way to tell by looking at the mid pipe itself? Would there be a part no. somewhere? Also, the connector pipes are resonated... which is another thing to note.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEAT TIME RULES View Post
I had that exact setup on my 1st 2020 M2C. It needed to be tweeked some but was a great fit. The tech at my BMW store is very good at installing aftermarket exhausts..There isn't a lot of room under there as you know. AA makes great quality products so I'm surprised yours is fighting you.
What tweaks needed to be made? Yeah forsure that's why I am a little surprised, my mechanic said it's too bad since he could tell I didn't cheap out on the exhaust because he said the build quality and everything else looked great.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2022, 10:22 AM   #11
chasebish
chasebish
United_States
Rep

You need two new exhaust gaskets for the install, part number 18307851168 - they are crush gaskets and should not be reused.

If you reuse them, the possibility for an exhaust leak and and/or rattling is high since they are one time use. If the mechanic didn't reuse them and completely omitted them, I would basically guarantee an exhaust leak and rattling as you will have metal on metal contact directly beneath the cabin.

I find it unlikely that the mechanic purchased new gaskets without telling you and/or charging you for them. Luckily since the exhaust is already installed, it's easy to put new gaskets in, so it shouldn't be too much effort for the shop if you buy some new ones.
Appreciate 1
      04-30-2022, 10:22 AM   #12
CanadianComp
Private
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Can you upload some more pictures of the install/under the car? I'm a bit suspicious that the install job might be the problem rather than the components
Unfortunately I don't have my jack pad at the moment. So can't get much better ones at the moment... but here's a couple more.

[/url]Clearance at rear

[/url]Around diff

[/url]Around diff etc

I definitely trust my mechanic as he's done lots of exhausts for me and my brothers, pretty confident he knows what he's doing, and don't see how hard it can be... and he spent at least an hour fiddling and trying to adjust he said...
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2022, 04:10 PM   #13
CanadianComp
Private
Canada
Rep

Quote:
You need two new exhaust gaskets for the install, part number 18307851168 - they are crush gaskets and should not be reused.

If you reuse them, the possibility for an exhaust leak and and/or rattling is high since they are one time use. If the mechanic didn't reuse them and completely omitted them, I would basically guarantee an exhaust leak and rattling as you will have metal on metal contact directly beneath the cabin.

I find it unlikely that the mechanic purchased new gaskets without telling you and/or charging you for them. Luckily since the exhaust is already installed, it's easy to put new gaskets in, so it shouldn't be too much effort for the shop if you buy some new ones.
Very helpful thanks for the info, just ordered two gaskets...
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2022, 05:33 PM   #14
Rumbloki
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Faster than most

I installed mine. No issues.
      05-01-2022, 09:05 AM   #15
ITSANM2
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW F87 M2C

Unfortunately I had the same issue with the AA signature exhaust and 3.5" mid pipe. The tolerance is minimal because it's super tight under there.

It looks like you might need to move the 2nd mid pipe piece further forward onto the 1st piece. You also need to play around with the way that piece is rotated.

Good news is AA has good customer service.

It was determined that a weld was off just a bit at the front of piece 2 for me. AA eventually replaced that whole 2nd mid pipe piece and sent it to me. Also, the replacement they sent me had a different style hanger mount for the differential which was much better, made more space in that area for me to avoid it banging around there.
Appreciate 1
      05-01-2022, 04:25 PM   #16
CanadianComp
Private
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ITSANM2 View Post
Unfortunately I had the same issue with the AA signature exhaust and 3.5" mid pipe. The tolerance is minimal because it's super tight under there.

It looks like you might need to move the 2nd mid pipe piece further forward onto the 1st piece. You also need to play around with the way that piece is rotated.

Good news is AA has good customer service.

It was determined that a weld was off just a bit at the front of piece 2 for me. AA eventually replaced that whole 2nd mid pipe piece and sent it to me. Also, the replacement they sent me had a different style hanger mount for the differential which was much better, made more space in that area for me to avoid it banging around there.
Good to know, and by 2nd mid pipe piece are you referring to the connector pipes that are in between the back box and the mid pipe, or one of the connector pipes in particular?

Thats good to hear about their customer service... hopefully they can help resolve the issues.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2022, 08:35 PM   #17
ITSANM2
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW F87 M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianComp View Post
Good to know, and by 2nd mid pipe piece are you referring to the connector pipes that are in between the back box and the mid pipe, or one of the connector pipes in particular?

Thats good to hear about their customer service... hopefully they can help resolve the issues.

Yes, pretty sure we are talking about the same piece.

1st piece connects to the downpipes. 2nd piece connects to that, it's the mid section of the kit. 3rd piece is the exhaust itself.

Still seems odd your exhaust is that far back though. Is the dif hanger alinged straight or does that look way off too?
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2022, 12:59 PM   #18
Got f1?
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 E46 ZHP, 20 X3M, M2CS

Quote:

So this fits between downpipe/mid-pipe and mid-pipe to rear section?
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2022, 03:30 AM   #19
chasebish
chasebish
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Got f1? View Post

So this fits between downpipe/mid-pipe and mid-pipe to rear section?
Only between downpipe and midpipe, you need two since there's two connections between them. Everything else is secured via clamps
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2022, 07:50 AM   #20
Got f1?
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 E46 ZHP, 20 X3M, M2CS

Quote:
Only between downpipe and midpipe, you need two since there's two connections between them. Everything else is secured via clamps
My leaks are mid-pipe to rear section and rear section.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2022, 09:19 PM   #21
methkingM2C
Private
Rep

Mine was shit too. All over the heat shields by the cross brace…. Terrible quality Taiwan parts
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2022, 04:41 PM   #22
Sequence_
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp 2020

Lots of AA fitment issues it seems :/
Appreciate 0