BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > Pricing / Ordering / European Delivery / PCD > Looking to order the M2 but need some advise

09-21-2016, 06:57 PM   #1
buckybadger
BMW forever!
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Looking to order the M2 but need some advise

Hi Everyone,

Just called my dealer. There are already 30+ people waiting in line to get the M2. Was told that most will get it in a year, some will opt out and some will move to 2018 as allocations become available. Dealers are getting very low allocation. Was recommended to put in a deposit to get in line first for the MY 2018. If things don't work out, I can always back out.

What do you guys think? Is this hype really true? I may still go and discuss all this with the dealership this weekend.

Also, is there anything I need to be aware before signing any deposit agreement? The main thing is that the deposit is refundable.

Thank you.
2009 BMW 328i
Appreciate 1
      09-21-2016, 07:10 PM   #2
BAN_M2C
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 991.2 Porsche GT3, BMW E46 M3

Garage List
1987 BMW 325is  [10.00]
2004 BMW X3  [8.25]
2018 Porsche 911 GT3  [10.00]
1974 BMW 2002tii  [10.00]
2004 BMW M3  [10.00]
It's not just hype, its real availability.

I know for a fact that the dealer I got mine from will have no other allocation after mine which was in June.

Search around and call all dealers you can, there are still some out there with cars potentially coming in and selling at MSRP.

There are other dealers with some in stock asking over MSRP, I wouldn't pay it over MSRP but to each their own.

Good luck with the search!
      09-21-2016, 07:14 PM   #3
CrashFL
M2 Pilot
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 M2

I called/emailed 30+ dealerships. Within a week I found an M2 at a dealership 400 miles from my house. Immediately put down a deposit and picked it up a couple days later. After that, the dealers got their allocations for the quarter and I had 3 call me asking if I want to put in an order. Try Montgomery, AL and Stone Mtn, GA. My local dealer also had one but it got snatched up pretty quickly.
BAN_M2C4194.50
      09-22-2016, 12:00 AM   #4
Ramos
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: G20 2020 M340

The BS part in the story is that putting down a deposit now to be #30 on the list does not mean you will be #1 for a MY18

Everyone on the current list who does not drop out or get a 17 will be pushed to an 18.
It's the same list, why do you think the 17 people will just all vanish? I suggest you find another dealer with a shorter list unless you actually want to wait a year for an 18.
Appreciate 1
CrashFL137.50
      09-22-2016, 06:12 AM   #5
Nicname
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C

I spent 3 weeks calling dozens upon dozens of dealerships. 90% of the cars where sold and the other had 10k markups. Best advice is throw up a post here on the forums asking if anyone has an allocation. Found someone who gave me one of their allocations spot. LBB DCT. WOuldve preferred manual but I rather have the car in October (finishes production tomorrow ) then wait a year
997.1 Turbo
///M3 E92
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2016, 01:13 PM   #6
buckybadger
BMW forever!
United_States
Rep

That's ridiculous amount of hassle and wait time if you are looking to get the M2 now.

Well, it looks like it maybe worth putting down my deposit and name on the waiting list, even if I am number 31st on the list.

There are only 30 people but since allocations are so small, it maybe till next year till I get mine. I could also go to a different dealer but most are asking at least $5K over MSRP. There's one asking $20K over, another $10K.

Hence the reason for the number of people going to the specific dealership and reason for the long list of 30 people. That is why I was thinking to put down my name on the list since I am fine waiting till MY 2018 and also not willing to pay over MSRP.
2009 BMW 328i
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2016, 01:16 PM   #7
buckybadger
BMW forever!
United_States
Rep

Did you guys also negotiate the financing rate when you placed the order? or is it okay to wait till car arrives and negotiate?

Also, when you did the paper work did you put down "refundable deposit" somewhere in there? Any advise/feedback is appreciated.

Thank you.
2009 BMW 328i
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2016, 01:27 PM   #8
Nolebimmer
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 17 BSM F80

I got quoted 3.95% today...no thanks
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2016, 01:52 PM   #9
Ramos
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mintoo View Post
That's ridiculous amount of hassle and wait time if you are looking to get the M2 now.

Well, it looks like it maybe worth putting down my deposit and name on the waiting list, even if I am number 31st on the list.

There are only 30 people but since allocations are so small, it maybe till next year till I get mine. I could also go to a different dealer but most are asking at least $5K over MSRP. There's one asking $20K over, another $10K.

Hence the reason for the number of people going to the specific dealership and reason for the long list of 30 people. That is why I was thinking to put down my name on the list since I am fine waiting till MY 2018 and also not willing to pay over MSRP.

Hey I just now noticed you are from San Diego.
I know exactly what you are referring to. BMW of San Diego is not usually where you get good deals, but in this instance their policies prevent them from charging above MSRP.

I am actually #22 on that list, and I only added myself last month. Pretty insane that the list got 8 names longer in one month !!
My situation is different than yours though, my current M235 lease does not end until 07/2017 so I actually have 10 months on hand.

They are also a high volume M dealer and I was told they get 2 M2's per month. Assuming that is true, and also assuming that 25% of the people on the list will drop out, then 25 names on that list really means you can expect to get yours in 12-13 months. That will work out to be a MY18 (hopefully LCI)
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2016, 02:07 PM   #10
buckybadger
BMW forever!
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramos View Post
I know exactly what you are referring to. BMW of San Diego is not usually where you get good deals, but in this instance their policies prevent them from charging above MSRP.

I am actually #22 on that list, and I only added myself last month. Pretty insane that the list got 8 names longer in one month !!
My situation is different than yours though, my current M235 lease does not end until 07/2017 so I actually have 10 months on hand.

They are also a high volume M dealer and I was told they get 2 M2's per month. Assuming that is true, and also assuming that 25% of the people on the list will drop out, then 25 names on that list really means you can expect to get yours in 12-13 months. That will work out to be a MY18 (hopefully LCI)

Thanks, yes exactly.

I was not aware of this policy? You are right, this is going to be my third BMW and I never got good deals at BMW of SD. But this time I am willing to give them a chance.

Based on your feedback, I will need to put down my name now for MY 2018 just to be on the safe side.
2009 BMW 328i
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2016, 02:14 PM   #11
Macphisto
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 ///M2

Quote:
Thanks, yes exactly.

I was not aware of this policy? You are right, this is going to be my third BMW and I never got good deals at BMW of SD. But this time I am willing to give them a chance.

Based on your feedback, I will need to put down my name now for MY 2018 just to be on the safe side.
I am on my fifth BMW (M2) from BMW of San Diego and I have never had an issue with them.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2016, 02:23 PM   #12
Ramos
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mintoo
Quote:

Thanks, yes exactly.

They are a Penske dealership and for some internal Penske policy, they cannot charge premiums over MSRP.

They are a good dealership, but because of their location they don't have to be aggressive on pricing. I have always been able to get better deals from smaller dealerships. In this instance, BMW of San Diego is the way to go if you can wait.

I would add my name if I were you as long as you know it will be a year before you see your M2. But again, you will likely get an LCI MY18 which always adds some nice updates cosmetically. Maybe a choice of interior color? Who knows!

Also if you need a good guy to work with there, Ask for Josh Keyton, he used to be at El Cajon and just went to SD a few months ago. Straight up guy, pleasure to work with.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2016, 02:51 PM   #13
buckybadger
BMW forever!
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mybostonjack View Post
I am on my fifth BMW (M2) from BMW of San Diego and I have never had an issue with them.
You are very lucky then.

BMW of SD has always gave me the worst deals. I had better luck from OC dealers. But in SD, my business went to BMW of Encinitas and El Cajon.

But this time I will give BMW of SD a chance because of their policy, like Ramos mentioned.
2009 BMW 328i
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2016, 02:52 PM   #14
buckybadger
BMW forever!
United_States
Rep

Quote:
They are a Penske dealership and for some internal Penske policy, they cannot charge premiums over MSRP.

They are a good dealership, but because of their location they don't have to be aggressive on pricing. I have always been able to get better deals from smaller dealerships. In this instance, BMW of San Diego is the way to go if you can wait.

I would add my name if I were you as long as you know it will be a year before you see your M2. But again, you will likely get an LCI MY18 which always adds some nice updates cosmetically. Maybe a choice of interior color? Who knows!

Also if you need a good guy to work with there, Ask for Josh Keyton, he used to be at El Cajon and just went to SD a few months ago. Straight up guy, pleasure to work with.
Thanks a lot Ramos for the reference. Appreciate it.

Yes you are right, I would be willing to wait for MY 2018 LCI. In fact, that is what I want!
2009 BMW 328i
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2016, 03:03 PM   #15
Ramos
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mintoo
Quote:

Thanks a lot Ramos for the reference. Appreciate it.

Yes you are right, I would be willing to wait for MY 2018 LCI. In fact, that is what I want!
Good luck my friend! Get your name on that list! Still cannot get over how the list got from 22 to 30 in one month!!! Demand for this car is unreal! Or maybe the supply is just way too little.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2016, 04:58 PM   #16
MdMcoupe
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2000 Mcoupe (blown/track toy)

Quote:
Hi Everyone,

Just called my dealer. There are already 30+ people waiting in line to get the M2. Was told that most will get it in a year, some will opt out and some will move to 2018 as allocations become available. Dealers are getting very low allocation. Was recommended to put in a deposit to get in line first for the MY 2018. If things don't work out, I can always back out.

What do you guys think? Is this hype really true? I may still go and discuss all this with the dealership this weekend.

Also, is there anything I need to be aware before signing any deposit agreement? The main thing is that the deposit is refundable.

Thank you.
Hey buddy,

Out of the blue yesterday i got a call from a dealership i visited back in July. I just wanted to see if they had one in the showroom. Of course they didn't, but I gave the guy my name and number and asked him to call me when they get one in the showroom.

Like I said, he called yesterday and said he received an allocation for a November build and wanted to know if I was interested.

My stomach sank, I called him back and my first question was..."how much is the markup....he chuckled and said 0...! Of course I said YES, and I am going friday to leave a deposit.

BUT now I am getting nervous! I have never bought a car brand new, let alone one at this price.

I may chicken out, or they may laugh me out of the dealership after a credit check (i think im mid 700's).....but i really wanted to use PenFed but I haven't talked to them yet. I have the deposit in hand, just don't know if that will be enough. I really just want to leave a deposit and work out the financing next week or so...I don't know if that will fly with them though.

If they laugh me out of the dealership or if I chicken out, I will let you know.

My first post, but I've been lurking for months....
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2016, 05:15 PM   #17
MdMcoupe
Private First Class
Rep

Did you guys also negotiate the financing rate when you placed the order? or is it okay to wait till car arrives and negotiate?

Also, when you did the paper work did you put down "refundable deposit" somewhere in there? Any advise/feedback is appreciated.

I was wondering this also?

Last edited by MdMcoupe; 09-22-2016 at 05:18 PM.. Reason: Added quote
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2016, 05:38 PM   #18
BruceM
Major
Rep
Drives: '17 6MT MG M2,930,Jag XKR 5.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrashFL View Post
I called/emailed 30+ dealerships. Within a week I found an M2 at a dealership 400 miles from my house. Immediately put down a deposit and picked it up a couple days later. After that, the dealers got their allocations for the quarter and I had 3 call me asking if I want to put in an order. Try Montgomery, AL and Stone Mtn, GA. My local dealer also had one but it got snatched up pretty quickly.
Pretty sure I got the one in Montgomery Alabama . But this is good advice. The best time was in the first few days after the latest allocations, it seems, but I bet some at MSRP are still out there....
Appreciate 1
CrashFL137.50
      09-22-2016, 05:40 PM   #19
BruceM
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MdMcoupe View Post

You can't lock a new car financing rate for more than 30-60 days, unfortunately. Or so I've been told. In my state (Washington) the deposit is refundable unless it is specifically labeled as non-refundable. But there should be no harm in making it crystal clear in any event, no matter which dealer you give the money to....
Appreciate 1
      09-22-2016, 05:42 PM   #20
bobsor
Rep
Drives: M2

Quote:

My experience was that the dealer could estimate financing options (lease, BMW select, or financing) when you order the car, but they can't forecast the rates six months or a year in advance of when the car arrives so it's only an estimate. On the day I picked up my car, I changed from BMW Select to credit union financing. My credit union approved the loan and locked in the interest rate and the dealer wrote up the paper. Apparently some dealers have arrangements with many local banks and credit unions so they can write up the loan and you don't have to go to the bank or credit union and pick up a check. It was super easy.
Appreciate 1
      09-22-2016, 05:42 PM   #21
BruceM
Major
Rep

Quote:
Hey buddy,

Out of the blue yesterday i got a call from a dealership i visited back in July. I just wanted to see if they had one in the showroom. Of course they didn't, but I gave the guy my name and number and asked him to call me when they get one in the showroom.

Like I said, he called yesterday and said he received an allocation for a November build and wanted to know if I was interested.

My stomach sank, I called him back and my first question was..."how much is the markup....he chuckled and said 0...! Of course I said YES, and I am going friday to leave a deposit.

BUT now I am getting nervous! I have never bought a car brand new, let alone one at this price.

I may chicken out, or they may laugh me out of the dealership after a credit check (i think im mid 700's).....but i really wanted to use PenFed but I haven't talked to them yet. I have the deposit in hand, just don't know if that will be enough. I really just want to leave a deposit and work out the financing next week or so...I don't know if that will fly with them though.

If they laugh me out of the dealership or if I chicken out, I will let you know.

My first post, but I've been lurking for months....
Mid-700's should be no problem whatsoever. Keep the faith. Sometimes things just fall into your lap, so enjoy the feeling!
Appreciate 1
      09-22-2016, 06:23 PM   #22
MdMcoupe
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceM View Post
Pretty sure I got the one in Montgomery Alabama . But this is good advice. The best time was in the first few days after the latest allocations, it seems, but I bet some at MSRP are still out there....

I was quoted MSRP. yesterday.

I actually told the salesman, "damn you called my bluff. I was so nervous about saying yes, and I was going to use the markup as a way to say no"

I asked him multiple times.....MSRP right...? And he said yes every time.

So yes they are out there.