BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > N55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > Exhaust Valve Spring and Actuator

10-26-2021, 12:46 PM   #1
PackPride85
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2

Exhaust Valve Spring and Actuator

Got the infamous flap rattle during this past track weekend and of course the little spring/fixing bow was gone. Went to BMW and got a new one but when attempting to install, I noticed the actuator positions don't exactly line up with the valve. There's no way I can make the little spring/bow fit without then lining up. I'm wondering maybe the stops inside the motor wore out causing it to rotate further, which likely would have broken the little spring. I'm about to go to BMW and grab a new actuator, but wanted to see if anyone else had issues installing the new spring?
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2021, 02:55 PM   #2
PackPride85
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2

Figured it out thanks to another post. If anyone else has the same problem:

User Bimmerlink (or someone else in the car) to actuate the valve and pull the electrical plug almost immediately. It should turn just enough to line up with the valve. Apparently it will go slightly beyond parallel with the valve during normal operation to keep tension in the spring.
Appreciate 0