BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 CS Model > CarCapsule - Thoughts?

04-15-2024, 10:08 AM   #1
NPTM
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M2 CS

CarCapsule - Thoughts?

Seeking thoughts for anyone with first hand experience with a CarCapsule, mainly their "ShowCase" model that allows you drive in/out (https://carcapsule.com/18-black-showcase-indoor/). Know someone that has the "bubble" version, but I'm not looking for that kind of setup/break-down each time I want to drive the car...I want to pull in / out easily, whenever I want.

As my stable grows, I've found myself having a bit of a rotation, driving a car for several months heavily, and then swapping. One of my storage areas is an old garage...weather / water tight, but it was built in the late 1800s so it's dusty, not climate controlled, and likely has plenty of openings for rodents. It's clean, just super old. I thought about putting one of these CarCapsule's in there, allowing me to use this space for car storage. I would put a de-humidifier inside of the capsule itself, along with an air purifier to eliminate dust. I would also place rodent deterrents around the garage (sound and light), albeit probably fine either way as these capsules have no openings. That would get me up to the level of comfort I'd want for longer-term car storage.

Any thoughts on this? Any experience in working with these? Any solutions I'm not considering, and should? Thanks guys!

-Chris
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2024, 01:31 PM   #2
2020_M2CS
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2CS

Garage List
2020 BMW M2 CS  [7.50]
How long at a time, would your car be in this storage before rotating? 6 months, year, etc?
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2024, 07:32 PM   #3
NPTM
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2020_M2CS View Post
How long would at a time, would your car be in this storage before rotating? 6 months, year, etc?
Not that long, 2 months tops...likely more like a 1 month rotation. Not crazy long-term, but still long enough to get dusty, exposed to rodents, etc. And would be nice to just pull out/pull in, easy as a garage.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2024, 06:49 AM   #4
NYNick
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 74 tii 78 SC 20 M2CS

I used something called a CarBag for my 65 GTO in FLA for 6 months while I was gone for the summer. Basically it's a big tarp that you drive onto and then pull the tarp over the car and zip it closed. I would put a car cover on the GTO first so it couldn't mar the paint.

I would suck the air out of it with a vacuum and leave desiccant inside. It worked fine. I'm sure it would be ok for 1 or 2 months. I think it cost a few hundred bucks.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2024, 08:37 AM   #5
NPTM
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYNick View Post
I used something called a CarBag for my 65 GTO in FLA for 6 months while I was gone for the summer. Basically it's a big tarp that you drive onto and then pull the tarp over the car and zip it closed. I would put a car cover on the GTO first so it couldn't mar the paint.

I would suck the air out of it with a vacuum and leave desiccant inside. It worked fine. I'm sure it would be ok for 1 or 2 months. I think it cost a few hundred bucks.
Def a good option for long-term storage...but the thing appealing to me about the CarCapsule is the ability to pull in/out easily, and there are NO touch points on the car, so I don't have to worry about it being perfectly clean each time I pull in...almost a little garage within a garage. Appreciate the input!
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2024, 08:12 PM   #6
Got f1?
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 E46 ZHP, 20 X3M, M2CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPTM View Post
Seeking thoughts for anyone with first hand experience with a CarCapsule, mainly their "ShowCase" model that allows you drive in/out (https://carcapsule.com/18-black-showcase-indoor/). Know someone that has the "bubble" version, but I'm not looking for that kind of setup/break-down each time I want to drive the car...I want to pull in / out easily, whenever I want.

As my stable grows, I've found myself having a bit of a rotation, driving a car for several months heavily, and then swapping. One of my storage areas is an old garage...weather / water tight, but it was built in the late 1800s so it's dusty, not climate controlled, and likely has plenty of openings for rodents. It's clean, just super old. I thought about putting one of these CarCapsule's in there, allowing me to use this space for car storage. I would put a de-humidifier inside of the capsule itself, along with an air purifier to eliminate dust. I would also place rodent deterrents around the garage (sound and light), albeit probably fine either way as these capsules have no openings. That would get me up to the level of comfort I'd want for longer-term car storage.

Any thoughts on this? Any experience in working with these? Any solutions I'm not considering, and should? Thanks guys!

-Chris
I think it is pretty cool for your use case.
Appreciate 1
NPTM370.50
      04-17-2024, 08:40 PM   #7
NPTM
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Got f1? View Post
I think it is pretty cool for your use case.
Yeah it’s def a super niche product but for the right situation it can make sense…and this may be it. Just didn’t know if anyone on her has first hand experience with them and could opine on build quality, issues, longevity, etc…looks like potentially not!
Appreciate 0