BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > S55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > DSOmegaX M2C Build [M Performance | Akrapovic]

05-23-2019, 05:12 AM   #89
Bloodynine
Private
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR. View Post
Incorrect!!!

The remote doesn't switch between OPEN and CLOSED! Guys, please stop thinking that. It is NOT true. The remote on an Akrapovic exhaust switches between AUTO and OPEN.

AUTO = The normal behavior of the vehicle as BMW developed it and how the stock ECU wants the valves to open and close.

OPEN = Valves always open and the BMW behavior is being overwritten.

In Efficient mode, the switching means that you think you switch between open and close, but you are NOT! BMW developed the valve behavior that the valves stay closed in Efficient mode and it is only open when you go full on WOT on the throttle. Try it and you will hear the exhaust valves open at around 4K rpm. The remote overwrites this and opens the valves always if the remote is RED.

In Sport and Sport+ modes, the switching is nothing other than in Efficient mode!! You are either following the behavior of the BMW ECU valve program or the valves are always open. The reason you hear not much difference is that you might not have removed the interior false exhaust note called ASD or you are not paying attention.

The automatic valve behavior of the car programmed by BMW is as follows in Sport en Sport+:

Depending on the input of your throttle in Sport or Sport+, the car closes the valves at different RPMs ranges or gears. At low input the valves close when you go into 3rd gear, if you give a bit more input it could be 4th gear. There is also an option in which it closes the valves at 4K rpm. If you go full on, it never closes the valves. If you go full on (WOT) on the throttle, then it will open the valves immediately.

You must hear this difference, but it could be if you haven't remove ASD and that you are listening to the interior sound track instead of the real exhaust!! BMW did something really smart with this... In Sport and Sport+ mode, the interior sound from the speakers (the fake exhaust noise) becomes a lot more noticeable over 4K rpm and when the valves are getting closed. They did this making sure the car is not so loud outside, while still giving you the experience inside the interior. The interior sound comes up when the sound outside goes down. Smart idea!

By swapping your exhaust, all goes wrong, because the ASD is not in tune with what you altered underneath the car, therefore remove the ASD and listen to your new exhaust instead! Because I did this as well during the development and testing, Akrapovic decided on improving the valve closing process. We fine tuned the valves closing and opening by installing a sniffer system that looks at the CAN bus inside the car. The system checks when the remote is in AUTO if the BMW valve ECU software is opening or closing the exhaust.

The moment the valve gets closed at like 3rd or 4th gear depending on your throttle input, the Akrapovic control unit alters the speed and way in which the valves closes and therefore making sure the switch between open and close is more gradual and gentle. For people without ASD this is a real benefit, and we engineered it in for you guys to have a better exhaust experience! It is not open/close or loud/silent, but more like cllllloooossseeeee and getting more siillllllleennntttt.... taking a bit of time, allowing the sound track to be more gentle and getting more silent over time.

The Akrapovic Bluetooth remote is only useful if you want to fully open the exhaust at any time or if you want to enjoy the full soundtrack in Efficient mode without all the burbles. I know a far bunch of people enjoy that here! Other than that just leave the remote aside and flick through the modes on the dashboard. If you really want close and open, get an Awron display. It offers OPEN, CLOSE and AUTO via the RES button on your steering wheel.

Any more questions please ask me!

MR
Yep this is exactly how I expect it to work. My issue is that is suddenly stops allowing the control to go into auto or open sometimes. Going into reverse and then drive always makes it stop working until I go back into efficient - then it will allow the control to switch from auto to open again.

For the record I have the techpip ASD harness installed AND I drove it with the rear seats down and rear boot trim removed so I could hear the valves working and exhaust tone change.....
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2019, 05:18 AM   #90
MR.
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 CSL Turbomeister

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloodynine View Post
Yep this is exactly how I expect it to work. My issue is that is suddenly stops allowing the control to go into auto or open sometimes. Going into reverse and then drive always makes it stop working until I go back into efficient - then it will allow the control to switch from auto to open again.

For the record I have the techpip ASD harness installed AND I drove it with the rear seats down and rear boot trim removed so I could hear the valves working and exhaust tone change.....
I need to see your car for real, because I am stunned by this behavior. We need to see how many times the control until blinks when we do this. The sequence of blinking tells what is wrong with the system.

MR
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2019, 06:14 PM   #91
DSOmegaX
Private
Rep
Drives: 718 Cayman GT4, GR Supra

Garage List
On the road to 10k

Nothing new currently, but have been racking up some miles as I go up and down southern california. Quickly approaching the 10k mile milestone, but the long miles has further my appreciation of this car from both its performance and practical daily use.

Presenting some photos that have been taken along the way (more posted on my IG: @dsomegax.at):
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
      07-28-2019, 05:05 PM   #92
ufgtrs2007
dentite
Rep
Drives: 718 GT4, M2C, JLU392, e92 M3

Garage List
2013 BMW M3  [0.00]
2013 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MR. View Post
Incorrect!!!

The remote doesn't switch between OPEN and CLOSED! Guys, please stop thinking that. It is NOT true. The remote on an Akrapovic exhaust switches between AUTO and OPEN.

AUTO = The normal behavior of the vehicle as BMW developed it and how the stock ECU wants the valves to open and close.

OPEN = Valves always open and the BMW behavior is being overwritten.

In Efficient mode, the switching means that you think you switch between open and close, but you are NOT! BMW developed the valve behavior that the valves stay closed in Efficient mode and it is only open when you go full on WOT on the throttle. Try it and you will hear the exhaust valves open at around 4K rpm. The remote overwrites this and opens the valves always if the remote is RED.

In Sport and Sport+ modes, the switching is nothing other than in Efficient mode!! You are either following the behavior of the BMW ECU valve program or the valves are always open. The reason you hear not much difference is that you might not have removed the interior false exhaust note called ASD or you are not paying attention, because put the valve open, go to manual shifting and give the car some beans... You will hear some decent sound coming from the back, especially around 3K rpm and above.

The automatic valve behavior of the car programmed by BMW is as follows in Sport en Sport+:

Depending on the input of your throttle in Sport or Sport+, the car closes the valves at different RPMs ranges or gears. At low input the valves close when you go into 3rd gear, if you give a bit more input it could be 4th gear. There is also an option in which it closes the valves at 4K rpm. If you go full on, it never closes the valves. If you go full on (WOT) on the throttle, then it will open the valves immediately.

You must hear this difference, but it could be if you haven't remove ASD and that you are listening to the interior sound track instead of the real exhaust!! BMW did something really smart with this... In Sport and Sport+ mode, the interior sound from the speakers (the fake exhaust noise) becomes a lot more noticeable over 4K rpm and when the valves are getting closed. They did this making sure the car is not so loud outside, while still giving you the experience inside the interior. The interior sound comes up when the sound outside goes down. Smart idea!

By swapping your exhaust, all goes wrong, because the ASD is not in tune with what you altered underneath the car, therefore remove the ASD and listen to your new exhaust instead! Because I did this as well during the development and testing, Akrapovic decided on improving the valve closing process. We fine tuned the valves closing and opening by installing a sniffer system that looks at the CAN bus inside the car. The system checks when the remote is in AUTO if the BMW valve ECU software is opening or closing the exhaust.

The moment the valve gets closed at like 3rd or 4th gear depending on your throttle input, the Akrapovic control unit alters the speed and way in which the valves closes and therefore making sure the switch between open and close is more gradual and gentle. For people without ASD this is a real benefit, and we engineered it in for you guys to have a better exhaust experience! It is not open/close or loud/silent within one millisecond, but more like cllllloooossseeeee and getting more siillllllleennntttt.... taking a bit of time, allowing the sound track to be more gentle and getting more silent over a few milliseconds.

The Akrapovic Bluetooth remote is only useful if you want to fully open the exhaust at any time or if you want to enjoy the full soundtrack in Efficient mode without all the burbles. I know a far bunch of people enjoy that here! Other than that just leave the remote aside and flick through the modes on the dashboard. If you really want close and open, get an Awron display. It offers OPEN, CLOSE and AUTO via the RES button on your steering wheel.

Any more questions please ask me!

MR

I just installed my Akra evolution system and linked the sound kit through the app on my iPhone. I could definitely hear a difference in the drive modes (comfort, sport, and sport +) AND when I put turn on OPEN through the APP.

However, what I've noticed is that my left flap does not close during start or idle. It remains open. I haven't seen it close at all. Is this normal? The right flap opens and closes with the bletooth controller, but the left one doesn't move.

Thanks,

Haysam
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2019, 01:08 PM   #93
DSOmegaX
Private
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ufgtrs2007 View Post
I just installed my Akra evolution system and linked the sound kit through the app on my iPhone. I could definitely hear a difference in the drive modes (comfort, sport, and sport +) AND when I put turn on OPEN through the APP.

However, what I've noticed is that my left flap does not close during start or idle. It remains open. I haven't seen it close at all. Is this normal? The right flap opens and closes with the bletooth controller, but the left one doesn't move.

Thanks,

Haysam
Checked mine and it opens and closes as normal. Flag the issue with whichever distributor you purchased from and see if its either a mechanical or sensor issue.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2019, 06:36 PM   #94
DSOmegaX
Private
Rep

Garage List
1-Year Anniversary

Approaching my 1-year anniversary of ownership so I took her to EAS . Last mods for the 1st year are the M coilovers and the floating center caps for shits and giggles. Car is set to the recommended settings for street use from BMW and 20mm down back and front. I will most likely be adding a 10mm spacer up front and a 7.5mm at the back to finish it all up.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
bplewis24188.50
      09-06-2019, 06:02 PM   #95
DSOmegaX
Private
Rep

Garage List
Simple shots of how the car sits now.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-07-2019, 11:17 AM   #96
infinitekidM2C
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Competition

Garage List
Looking real good! How's the ride compared to stock? I'm about to install the MP coilovers myself.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2019, 11:23 AM   #97
MrMiaogi
Private
Rep
Drives: 2020 LBB M2 Competition

Garage List
2020 BMW M2C  [0.00]
You are my inspiration.
Appreciate 1
DSOmegaX221.00
      09-09-2019, 07:43 AM   #98
BroDoze
Captain
Rep
Drives: Stuff

Looks awesome!
      09-10-2019, 05:13 PM   #99
DSOmegaX
Private
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by infinitekidM2C View Post
Looking real good! How's the ride compared to stock? I'm about to install the MP coilovers myself.
It's noticeably stiffer (especially on bumpy roads you'll definitely feel the difference) but the car doesn't ride harsh at all. It's still smooth and I would say it rebounds pretty much the same as stock. Flat in the corners though! The coilovers are currently set to the BMW recommended settings for street use and I haven't found any reason to adjust them at the moment. It passed the wife test so I'm good to go haha
Appreciate 1
      09-12-2019, 04:25 PM   #100
DSOmegaX
Private
Rep

Garage List
Quick update: added 10 mm front and 7.5 mm rear spacers from Turner Motorsports and had a stud conversion done from Motorsport Hardware. Can't see it clearly from the angle but the face of the wheel slightly pokes out from the fender with this setup. Looking at replacing the tires with 255F/275R in the near future as well.

These will probably be the last mods for a little bit as the M2C will be getting a little sister towards the end of November time frame. Guesses as to what car it'll be are welcome
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-06-2019, 11:27 AM   #101
DSOmegaX
Private
Rep

Garage List
New Addition to the Family

No new updates to the M2C, but her new sister was brought home to join her:

BTW, can one of the mods move this thread over to the M2 Photos, Videos and Builds section for me?
Appreciate 2
Jarran10.50
      12-06-2019, 11:30 AM   #102
infinitekidM2C
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSOmegaX View Post
No new updates to the M2C, but her new sister was brought home to join her:

BTW, can one of the mods move this thread over to the M2 Photos, Videos and Builds section for me?
Nice. Everyone's going to want a comprehensive comparo, you do know that right? I know they've been done before, but you should be as un-biased as possible.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2019, 12:45 PM   #103
ChrisRoman
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 M340i

That garage looks familiar 🙂
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
ki__409.00
      12-06-2019, 02:42 PM   #104
DSOmegaX
Private
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisRoman View Post
That garage looks familiar 🙂
Hell yea!
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2019, 03:20 PM   #105
VIERsr
Major
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Garage List
The Supra is starting to growing on me
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2019, 05:22 PM   #106
infinitekidM2C
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by _RS4_ View Post
I just saw it in person and it looks really good actually. I initially wasnt into it via pictures, but in person it looks good.
Appreciate 2
VIERsr2620.50
Jarran10.50
      12-09-2019, 11:20 AM   #107
DSOmegaX
Private
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by _RS4_ View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by infinitekidM2C View Post
I just saw it in person and it looks really good actually. I initially wasnt into it via pictures, but in person it looks good.
Yeah it's a car that definitely grows on you if you give it a chance. I will fully admit I did not care for it whatsoever when it was first revealed. I came around pretty quickly once I got to see one in person and then got a chance to drive it early. My order was originally kind of a joke cause my salesperson friend put me on the list like two years ago. I decided to pull the trigger once I had my positive epiphany for it lol
Appreciate 1
Jarran10.50
      12-09-2019, 12:31 PM   #108
touchmyhonda
Smooth is fast
Rep
Drives: 13 BRZ - 13 Golf R - 16 S4

I am guilty of simply skimming all of the pages. However, I don't think I saw anything on the amp replacement. Do you have a separate thread about that?
      12-10-2019, 11:26 AM   #109
DSOmegaX
Private
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by touchmyhonda View Post
I am guilty of simply skimming all of the pages. However, I don't think I saw anything on the amp replacement. Do you have a separate thread about that?
I thought I did post about it but maybe I forgot. The only hardware replacement was the amp, which is a Audiotec Fischer Match Up 7BMW (LINK HERE). A good friend of mine runs an audio sound system company called OEM Audio Plus (LINK HERE), who configured and tuned the software based on acoustic measurements and listening sessions with the car for a few days. My friend is known for offering complete plug and play solutions for vehicles, but as the company hasn't broken into the BMW market yet, this was custom for myself and a few other bmw owners who have gone to him.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2020, 09:45 PM   #110
leftcoastq
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C LBB 6MT

Epic thread, thank you for the pics. Inspo for my LBB build
Appreciate 0