United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 + Z-4

Garage List
2014 BMW M235i  [0.00]
Pocono IMSA Course
Best lap from event: 1:39.90
2017 BMW M2
Mods: Hankook RS4s 245/40-18 and 265/40-18; Pagid RS29 all around.
Attached Images

05-08-2019, 09:35 PM   #266
GasBurnlife(landapanda)
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by rafaelamorim View Post
I'm taking the car to Atlanta Motorsports Park this weekend and looking for some advice regarding tire pressure. I have the stock Conti and tried deflating them a bit but the TPMS wouldn't let me change the drive mode to Sport+ or DSC off. Is there any way around this?

Also, what's the ideal cycle for changing oil after tracking? I had a Focus RS and it would get really hot so I'd change oil quite often.
Set your psi to 30 and do a reset. Start at that temp cold and bleed air throughout the day as temps get above 37-38. You may need to come into hot pits and bleed more air halfway through your session.

I change oil after every 2-3 track weekends, depending on timing. I use Motul full synthetic 5w-40.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2019, 12:50 PM   #267
5.M0NSTER
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE

With a good synthetic oil AND a good filter you can go 7500 or more miles between drain intervals even with a few tracks days.

Different car, but on the Mustang I would do oil changes once a year. 8500 miles and 3-4 track days. Every analysis I did with Blackstone labs said I could go even longer. I used Castrol Edge 5w-50 in that car. I plan on doing the same with this car.

I’m wouldn’t worry about track us at all as long as the oil is full syn. Better yet send it for analysis and let professionals tell you how much longer you can go between drain intervals.

I use 0w-40 now. BMW extended interval stuff.

Last edited by 5.M0NSTER; 05-09-2019 at 01:02 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2019, 01:49 PM   #268
GasBurnlife(landapanda)
Captain
Rep

M2 - Track Times

Who do you use for oil analysis?
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2019, 03:21 PM   #269
5.M0NSTER
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

These guys:

https://www.blackstone-labs.com/test...dard-analysis/
2018 Camaro SS 1LE. Because race car!

"Redline a day keeps the mechanics away"
Appreciate 1
      05-13-2019, 03:27 PM   #270
rafaelamorim
Rep
Drives: BMW M2, Porsche 944, Audi A6

Quote:
Originally Posted by landapanda View Post
Set your psi to 30 and do a reset. Start at that temp cold and bleed air throughout the day as temps get above 37-38. You may need to come into hot pits and bleed more air halfway through your session.

I change oil after every 2-3 track weekends, depending on timing. I use Motul full synthetic 5w-40.
Thanks - this worked and setting to psi to 30 seems like a good setting for the Continental tire.

This was my first track day with this car and it was solid considering it is stock (except brake fluid). This is not my primary track car so I am not planning on doing much to it (maybe pads), but it is really capable and fun at the track.

I tried different settings and it is amazing to see how much the car changes. Sport is useless with a ton of TC intervention and Sport+ was not much better. DSC off is bliss, the car truly comes alive.

My best lap was a 1:39 and I'm pretty happy with it given overall conditions were not great (track was damp) and I am not that confident (or skilled) with the car yet.

The only weird thing that happened 3-4 times was a hard pedal when first applying the brakes and it would soften after about a second pressing the pedal. This didn't happen a lot but it was annoying and made for very inconsistent braking.

Did any of you ever experienced this?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2019, 01:23 AM   #271
pal
Captain
Rep
Drives: Z4 M Coupe

Quote:
Quote:

Thanks - this worked and setting to psi to 30 seems like a good setting for the Continental tire.

This was my first track day with this car and it was solid considering it is stock (except brake fluid). This is not my primary track car so I am not planning on doing much to it (maybe pads), but it is really capable and fun at the track.

I tried different settings and it is amazing to see how much the car changes. Sport is useless with a ton of TC intervention and Sport+ was not much better. DSC off is bliss, the car truly comes alive.

My best lap was a 1:39 and I'm pretty happy with it given overall conditions were not great (track was damp) and I am not that confident (or skilled) with the car yet.

The only weird thing that happened 3-4 times was a hard pedal when first applying the brakes and it would soften after about a second pressing the pedal. This didn't happen a lot but it was annoying and made for very inconsistent braking.

Thanks
DSC Off really does transform the car and it's handling is quite sublime for a stock machine.

Regarding the stiff pedal on first press, did you have emergency braking turned on?
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2019, 08:15 PM   #272
Twt
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

Quote:

Thanks
I was at AMP with JTI in my white M2....probably the same event. Great lap time for a stock car on factory pads. I only run a 1:32 with slicks and camber plates. I don't know how you didn't end up in the beach at turn one with factory pads....I run PFC 08s and still need to hammer the pedal. I would not advise using stock pads ever, especially if you go to a faster track (RA) or use sticky tires.
As for TPMS, I disconnected mine a long time ago...it's an impossible PITA to try to start with normal pressure, bleed off, reset, etc. Even with it removed I still get a tire warning if one is going flat ( euro warning).
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2019, 10:13 PM   #273
ZM2
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 LBB M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twt View Post
I was at AMP with JTI in my white M2....probably the same event. Great lap time for a stock car on factory pads. I only run a 1:32 with slicks and camber plates. I don't know how you didn't end up in the beach at turn one with factory pads....I run PFC 08s and still need to hammer the pedal. I would not advise using stock pads ever, especially if you go to a faster track (RA) or use sticky tires.
As for TPMS, I disconnected mine a long time ago...it's an impossible PITA to try to start with normal pressure, bleed off, reset, etc. Even with it removed I still get a tire warning if one is going flat ( euro warning).
Per a thread I started two years ago, if you run without TPMS sensors on 16/17 cars, the car only runs in Comfort mode settings. Which sucks, if you have DCT.

TPMS is better to have on track than not bc you can see your pressures and adjust by popping into the hot pits. Checking temps/pressures once you’re in the paddock is inaccurate bc brake temps will drive up tire temps & pressures by then.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2019, 07:28 AM   #274
Twt
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZM2 View Post
Per a thread I started two years ago, if you run without TPMS sensors on 16/17 cars, the car only runs in Comfort mode settings. Which sucks, if you have DCT.

TPMS is better to have on track than not bc you can see your pressures and adjust by popping into the hot pits. Checking temps/pressures once you’re in the paddock is inaccurate bc brake temps will drive up tire temps & pressures by then.
Mine is a 17 DCT and without TPMS it will run in any mode....since I have had it coded it's even better in Sport +. I am sure anyone can code out TPMS. I just found that pitting and getting out to adjust air during a 20 minute session was too cumbersome....plus I had to do a lap or two stuck in comfort....but to each his own.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2019, 01:13 PM   #275
HOT M
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2C

I will try, new to tracking only 3 days under the belt.
M2C stock
Tires: Hankook Ventus v12 evo2
Brakes: Stock
Suspension: Camber plates stock suspension.

Laguna Seca 3/6/19 first time ever on the track
1:53.16
Buttonwillow#1CCW 5/17/19 2nd time on this track, first time this config
2:23.74
2019 M2C Sunset Orange/Black (Ohlins/swift coilovers, Ground Control Camber Plates, Dinan Heat exchanger, BM3 ECU tune, CF mirror caps, diffuser and rear spoiler, Vorsteiner V-FF 101 Patina Bronze wheels)
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2019, 06:32 AM   #276
GasBurnlife(landapanda)
Captain
Rep

Watkins Glen - 2019-06-15
MPS, GC Camber Plates, Michelin PS4 (255/275 //35/19), PFC08, Castrol SRF
75F partly cloudy
2:16.6
Appreciate 2
ZM22810.50
5.M0NSTER3353.50
      06-17-2019, 07:22 AM   #277
ZM2
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
75F partly cloudy
That’s a great time for being on street tires. You can’t push it in the essess nearly as much, which kills your top speed before the bus stop.
Appreciate 1
5.M0NSTER3353.50
      06-17-2019, 09:54 AM   #278
GasBurnlife(landapanda)
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
75F partly cloudy
That's a great time for being on street tires. You can't push it in the essess nearly as much, which kills your top speed before the bus stop.
I was full throttle through turns 3 and 4, but on maintenance throttle trough turn 2. I need to see other laps, but 100 seems to be the right speed on these tires through turn 2. When I tried to go faster, I ended up drifting too far left and wasn't setup right for turn 3. My top speed before the bus stops was consistently 135-139, once hitting 141. I bottomed out the suspension twice taking a pretty aggressive line over the first bus stop gator.

Braking consistency was much better with DSC off, but even then the brakes started to feel a bit mushy after 20 mins. Going to put on the Porsche brake ducts on this weekend and expect to see some improvement. I think you have done this also ZM2 ; did you do anything to the backing plate to allow for more airflow toward the hat?
Appreciate 1
ZM22810.50
      06-17-2019, 10:36 AM   #279
ZM2
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
I was full throttle through turns 3 and 4, but on maintenance throttle trough turn 2. I need to see other laps, but 100 seems to be the right speed on these tires through turn 2. When I tried to go faster, I ended up drifting too far left and wasn't setup right for turn 3. My top speed before the bus stops was consistently 135-139, once hitting 141. I bottomed out the suspension twice taking a pretty aggressive line over the first bus stop gator.

Braking consistency was much better with DSC off, but even then the brakes started to feel a bit mushy after 20 mins. Going to put on the Porsche brake ducts on this weekend and expect to see some improvement. I think you have done this also ZM2 ; did you do anything to the backing plate to allow for more airflow toward the hat?
That's a pretty good top speed. I was generally 142-143-mph before the bus stop. The stickier rubber allows you to stay full throttle out of 1 all the way to the bus stop, if you're aggressive on the entry to 2. Edit: More like full throttle out of 1, a quick breath of throttle before/to apex of 2, then full throttle all the way to the bus stop. On 265/35/18 RE-71Rs, my apex speeds at 2, 3, 4, were 109, 115, 126mph, respectively.

You can also shave quite a bit of time by lining the car up to eat the 1st, 2nd, and 4th curbs in the bus stop, while touching the 3rd. Rattles the car, but really straightens things up.

Yup, I have the Porsche deflectors front & rear. You cut away a section of the backing plate so the air flows to the disc & hat. Def helps.

Did you record your sessions on BMW Laptimer? If so, I can send you my sessions so you can overlay yours & mine to see where you're faster & vice versa. isjoey beat my time by 0.2s (2:13.2), but I only have three days on WGI in my M2 and he's a hell of a driver.

Last edited by ZM2; 06-17-2019 at 11:29 AM..
Appreciate 1
M2joey299.50
      06-17-2019, 11:50 AM   #280
GasBurnlife(landapanda)
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

That's a pretty good top speed. I was generally 142-143-mph before the bus stop. The stickier rubber allows you to stay full throttle out of 1 all the way to the bus stop, if you're aggressive on the entry to 2. Edit: More like full throttle out of 1, a quick breath of throttle before/to apex of 2, then full throttle all the way to the bus stop. On 265/35/18 RE-71Rs, my apex speeds at 2, 3, 4, were 109, 115, 126mph, respectively.

You can also shave quite a bit of time by lining the car up to eat the 1st, 2nd, and 4th curbs in the bus stop, while touching the 3rd. Rattles the car, but really straightens things up.

Yup, I have the Porsche deflectors front & rear. You cut away a section of the backing plate so the air flows to the disc & hat. Def helps.

Did you record your sessions on BMW Laptimer? If so, I can send you my sessions so you can overlay yours & mine to see where you're faster & vice versa. isjoey beat my time by 0.2s (2:13.2), but I only have three days on WGI in my M2 and he's a hell of a driver.
Unfortunately my lap time stopped recording when I pulled into the staging area and stopped. Sounds like a bug in the software. I played with it on Sunday and the only way to keep the timer active was to keep it displayed on the screen (I usually started it and then selected the tire pressure monitor to be up on the screen). Interested in the data anyway; will compare it against the video speed. Thanks!
Appreciate 1
ZM22810.50
      06-17-2019, 12:15 PM   #281
ZM2
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Unfortunately my lap time stopped recording when I pulled into the staging area and stopped. Sounds like a bug in the software. I played with it on Sunday and the only way to keep the timer active was to keep it displayed on the screen (I usually started it and then selected the tire pressure monitor to be up on the screen). Interested in the data anyway; will compare it against the video speed. Thanks!
No worries.

And, I should further clarify throttle position for turn 2. I’m back to full throttle before corner entry and then blasting all the way up the hill.

Turn 2 is one of those corners where if you half throttle commit your weight transfer is to the outside and you’ll just keep sliding across the track to the inside line for 3, not ideal. If you give her full gas, the weight shifts to the back of the car and then if you really come down on the apex, the car hugs the turn and is super planted. Much faster and you end up in the right spot for 3.

But, there’s only so much you can ask of the 4S’s. Try that approach sometime on some 71R’s and you’ll have a huge grin when you nail it. One of my most favorite corners on any track.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2019, 01:00 PM   #282
GasBurnlife(landapanda)
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
No worries.

And, I should further clarify throttle position for turn 2. I'm back to full throttle before corner entry and then blasting all the way up the hill.

Turn 2 is one of those corners where if you half throttle commit your weight transfer is to the outside and you'll just keep sliding across the track to the inside line for 3, not ideal. If you give her full gas, the weight shifts to the back of the car and then if you really come down on the apex, the car hugs the turn and is super planted. Much faster and you end up in the right spot for 3.

But, there's only so much you can ask of the 4S's. Try that approach sometime on some 71R's and you'll have a huge grin when you nail it. One of my most favorite corners on any track.
That would be next summer, a short 363 days away!
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2019, 02:43 PM   #283
GasBurnlife(landapanda)
Captain
Rep

Timely video: this is how a GT2 Cup Car does it:

https://www.pca.org/news/2019-06-04/...g-watkins-glen
Appreciate 1
ZM22810.50
      06-17-2019, 03:13 PM   #284
ZM2
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Timely video: this is how a GT2 Cup Car does it:

https://www.pca.org/news/2019-06-04/...g-watkins-glen
1:48.9? WTF! That was truly no lift out of 1 to the top. 2G’s lateral...
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2019, 04:04 PM   #285
5.M0NSTER
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Good stuff landapanda, thanks for posting!
2018 Camaro SS 1LE. Because race car!

"Redline a day keeps the mechanics away"
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2019, 04:39 PM   #286
GasBurnlife(landapanda)
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.M0NSTER View Post
Good stuff landapanda, thanks for posting!
Summit Main and VIR coming up in July and August!
Appreciate 0