BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > N55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > Fabspeed Downpipe Advice

05-12-2021, 01:08 PM   #67
Boostedphil698
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 435i Xdrive MSport

Garage List
2015 BMW 435XI  [0.00]
2009 Honda Civic  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M TOWN View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by VisualEcho View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by pz619 View Post
Fair. Honestly I'm not sure how hard he looked. I just sat down in a chair nearby and was mostly messing around on my phone during the 15-20 mins it took. But even if he took a hard look, I'm not sure there is any indicator on the fabspeed sport cat that would imply it's not legal. It's been a few years so I don't 100% recall.
Other than the fact that it's polished and has a pretty visible plate on it. Once it has been on there a while it looks closer to OEM for sure, but still not the same.
9 out of 10 people wouldn't really know the difference
Facts right here. I'm excited to get mine but may have to hold off. Some drove over a piece of steel or a rock this morning and flew into my car. Have two big paint chips to fix on my daily now.
///M TOWN16165.50
      05-12-2021, 02:22 PM   #68
CalAcacian
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanG View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boostedphil698 View Post
A dealer turning someone in for something done on that person's own time is bad for business.
I don't think that turning someone in for braking the law is bad for business.
Of course it is bad business

It's a conflict that's not worth instigating

It's important not to bite the hand that actually feeds you
Except customers don't really feed the dealership. Especially not enthusiast customers like us. We're a minority of their market.

Dealerships are primarily paid to perform warranty work by BMW. So risking that relationship by continuing to provide warranty coverage on cars that BMW NA doesn't want them to is bad business for them on the whole.

Yes, I appreciate my SA being more mod friendly, but it's not how dealerships function as business units.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2021, 05:12 PM   #69
///M TOWN
United_States
Rep
Drives: M GmbH

Garage List
2018 M2  [8.82]
Quote:
Originally Posted by CalAcacian View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanG View Post
Quote:
A dealer turning someone in for something done on that person's own time is bad for business.
I don't think that turning someone in for braking the law is bad for business.
Of course it is bad business

It's a conflict that's not worth instigating

It's important not to bite the hand that actually feeds you
Except customers don't really feed the dealership. Especially not enthusiast customers like us. We're a minority of their market.

Dealerships are primarily paid to perform warranty work by BMW. So risking that relationship by continuing to provide warranty coverage on cars that BMW NA doesn't want them to is bad business for them on the whole.

Yes, I appreciate my SA being more mod friendly, but it's not how dealerships function as business units.
Well I feed them

I send them customers all the time

Regardless I understand your point but hopefully you can understand mine
      05-12-2021, 09:48 PM   #70
Slowphiveo
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M4 Heritage Edition

I dont own the car anymore...but this was my 2018 M2 with the Fabspeed catted downpipe and their muffler bypass exhaust....was actually videoed at Fabspeed after they finished the install. Never had a CEL or an issue with emissions inspection in PA at least.

Appreciate 3
Poochie9104.50
///M TOWN16165.50
      05-13-2021, 06:58 AM   #71
Poochie
Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowphiveo View Post
I dont own the car anymore...but this was my 2018 M2 with the Fabspeed catted downpipe and their muffler bypass exhaust....was actually videoed at Fabspeed after they finished the install. Never had a CEL or an issue with emissions inspection in PA at least.
Sounds mean

Federal law recognizes that each state should lead in carrying out their own form of emission testing because pollution control problems often require special understanding of local industries, geography, housing patterns, ect.

However, each individual state are not allowed to have a weaker pollution controls than the national minimum criteria codified by the Environment Protection Agency. Point being, doesn't matter what state you are in, if one installs a modified smog control device, such as a sports cat, which circumvents set emission standards and it becomes noticeable by I guess the wrong person, the owner can run into problems.

A franchise dealers could possible get fined or shut down if they don't comply with the EPA ruling, hence the reason they frown upon aftermarket downpipes and it's not because they want to be snitch-ass bitches, as some are lead to believe.

Personally, I don't care either way, just a little FYI for fellow members.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-13-2021, 08:13 AM   #72
Boostedphil698
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW 435XI  [0.00]
2009 Honda Civic  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poochie View Post
Quote:
Sounds mean

Federal law recognizes that each state should lead in carrying out their own form of emission testing because pollution control problems often require special understanding of local industries, geography, housing patterns, ect.

However, each individual state are not allowed to have a weaker pollution controls than the national minimum criteria codified by the Environment Protection Agency. Point being, doesn't matter what state you are in, if one installs a modified smog control device, such as a sports cat, which circumvents set emission standards and it becomes noticeable by I guess the wrong person, the owner can run into problems.

A franchise dealers could possible get fined or shut down if they don't comply with the EPA ruling, hence the reason they frown upon aftermarket downpipes and it's not because they want to be snitch-ass bitches, as some are lead to believe.

Let's think about it though. If I hypothetically put the Fabspeed downpipe on or the Active Autowerke dp on, and my car goes through emissions here in PA and I pass, did I really install a defeat device?
      05-13-2021, 08:36 AM   #73
VisualEcho
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 M2 6MT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by CalAcacian View Post
Yes, it is. I was in that industry for many years, and I can tell you that first, Sales, Service, and Parts are all 3 separate businesses under one roof, and second, they all work off of customer happiness. Everything is customer happiness. The question isn't whether or not you'll need to go to bat for your customer, but when, and how brightly you shine in doing so.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2021, 08:39 AM   #74
Poochie
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Sounds mean

Let's think about it though. If I hypothetically put the Fabspeed downpipe on or the Active Autowerke dp on, and my car goes through emissions here in PA and I pass, did I really install a defeat device?
Umm, yea.

The physical act of removing the OEM cat and replacing it with a downpipe with less filtration, working around the set standards for pollutant output is the violation.

I bet you that any tech that has half a brain and actually cares, can determine if the OEM cat was replaced by merely looking it at and also by the noxious smell, which would be filling his service bay.

FS or AA downpipe bypasses the emission check set standards because the places a spacer between the flow of exhaust gases and the two O2 sensors, tricking the system into interpreting a lean reading and assume it's still running the stock cat filtration, hence, emission compliant.

However, that form of circumvention is required for aftermarket downpipe to not trigger a CEL, as I guess it does. Had it been performing the correct amount of filtration, physical deception wouldn't be necessary.
Appreciate 2
DanG10616.00
      05-13-2021, 10:15 AM   #75
Boostedphil698
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW 435XI  [0.00]
2009 Honda Civic  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Sounds mean

Umm, yea.

The physical act of removing the OEM cat and replacing it with a downpipe with less filtration, working around the set standards for pollutant output is the violation.

I bet you that any tech that has half a brain and actually cares, can determine if the OEM cat was replaced by merely looking it at and also by the noxious smell, which would be filling his service bay.

FS or AA downpipe bypasses the emission check set standards because the places a spacer between the flow of exhaust gases and the two O2 sensors, tricking the system into interpreting a lean reading and assume it's still running the stock cat filtration, hence, emission compliant.

However, that form of circumvention is required for aftermarket downpipe to not trigger a CEL, as I guess it does. Had it been performing the correct amount of filtration, physical deception wouldn't be necessary.
There is no spacers in either of those cats. In addition, the AA dp is EPA registered and comes with a 5 year or 50000 mile warranty. They even just came out with EPA registered high flow dp's for the S55.
///M TOWN16165.50
      05-13-2021, 10:26 AM   #76
Poochie
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Sounds mean

Umm, yea.

There is no spacers in either of those cats. In addition, the AA dp is EPA registered and comes with a 5 year or 50000 mile warranty. They even just came out with EPA registered high flow dp's for the S55.

Hmm.. I know factually all of what you stated is not true but how about this; why don't you just show me any kind of tangible proof of what you claimed and just shut me up..

I'll patiently wait..

https://www.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...php?p=24550473
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2021, 10:40 AM   #77
Boostedphil698
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW 435XI  [0.00]
2009 Honda Civic  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Sounds mean

Umm, yea.

Hmm.. I know factually all of what you stated is not true but how about this; why don't you just show me any kind of tangible proof of what you claimed and just shut me up..

I'll patiently wait..
[IMG]undefined[/IMG]

Yeah Fabspeed was at one point putting spacers to cheat but they removed them after they realized that the HJS cats were doing the job. They should have realized this through testing...... Here's both links to the pictures in case they are fuzzy https://store.activeautowerke.com/co...atted-downpipe

https://www.2addicts.com/forums/show...1137153&page=5
Attached Images

05-13-2021, 10:52 AM   #78
Boostedphil698
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW 435XI  [0.00]
2009 Honda Civic  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Sounds mean

Umm, yea.

I'll patiently wait..
[IMG]undefined[/IMG]

Yeah Fabspeed was at one point putting spacers to cheat but they removed them after they realized that the HJS cats were doing the job. They should have realized this through testing...... Here's both links to the pictures in case they are fuzzy https://store.activeautowerke.com/co...atted-downpipe

https://www.2addicts.com/forums/show...1137153&page=5
I can't read what you posted but I Googled "G-Sport" or "GESI" cats and although it's the first time I heard about them, they do indeed carry EPA certified products, which is good for them, I guess..

However, that has nothing to do with Fabspeed or AA aftermarket cats being also EPA compliant, which is the subject at hand. You may as well as link some photos of actual kittens because it proves nothing.
Here's a link to the AA downpipe that literally says its EPA approved https://store.activeautowerke.com/co...atted-downpipe

Fabspeed post: https://www.2addicts.com/forums/show...1137153&page=5
      05-13-2021, 11:11 AM   #79
VisualEcho
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 M2 6MT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
Quote:
I bet you that any tech that has half a brain and actually cares, can determine if the OEM cat was replaced by the noxious smell, which would be filling his service bay.
It's interesting that you're the second person that has mentioned this, yet with my FSC I didn't notice any difference at all. No extra power, no smell, maybe I got a normal cat with a Fabspeed logo. lol
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2021, 11:11 AM   #80
Poochie
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Sounds mean

Umm, yea.

I'll patiently wait..
[IMG]undefined[/IMG]

https://www.2addicts.com/forums/show...153&page=5
I can't read what you posted but I Googled "G-Sport" or "GESI" cats and although it's the first time I heard about them, they do indeed carry EPA certified products, which is good for them, I guess..

However, that has nothing to do with Fabspeed or AA aftermarket cats being also EPA compliant, which is the subject at hand. You may as well as link some photos of actual kittens because it proves nothing.
Here's a link to the AA downpipe that literally says its EPA approved https://store.activeautowerke.com/co...atted-downpipe
Yea, so they have a version of a downpipe that's supposedly EPA certified but still can't meet CARB requirements, which the OEM cat does - sounds fishy, to say the least.

They also have an ambiguous disclaimer on their website (see below), which sounds like they are performing the same low cell/ spacer trickery, as the other sports cats available but to a lesser extent.

Look bro, I'm not going to keep arguing the point, If your going to run an aftermarket downpipe, catted or catless, you need to just accept the fact that they are all illegal.

You ever wonder why BMW AG doesn't offer an "M Performance Sports Cats" in order to eke out a few horses or to compete with the aftermarket brands? It's because it would never meet EPA compliance and they have a lot more to lose than some of these aftermarket companies that operate in the fringes of the internet, with no accountability.

Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-13-2021, 11:16 AM   #81
Boostedphil698
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW 435XI  [0.00]
2009 Honda Civic  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Sounds mean

Umm, yea.

I'll patiently wait..
[IMG]undefined[/IMG]

Yea, so they have a version of a downpipe that's supposedly EPA certified but still can't meet CARB requirements, which the OEM cat does, sounds fishy, to say the least.

They also have an ambiguous disclaimer on their website (see below), which sounds like they are performing the same low cell/ spacer trickery, as the other sports cats available but to a lesser extent.

Look bro, I'm not going to keep arguing the point, If your going to run an aftermarket downpipe, catted or catless, you need to just accept the fact that they are all illegal.

You ever wonder why BMW AG doesn't offer an "M Performance Sports Cats" in order to eke out a few horses or to compete with the aftermarket brands? It's because it would never meet EPA compliance and they have a lot more to lose than some of these aftermarket companies that operate in the fringes of the internet, which operate under no accountability.

Well, I don't live in Cali so CARB is irrelevant and emissions standards are left up to states. Some states don't even test lol.
      05-13-2021, 11:25 AM   #82
Poochie
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Sounds mean

Umm, yea.

I'll patiently wait..
[IMG]undefined[/IMG]

Yea, so they have a version of a downpipe that's supposedly EPA certified but still can't meet CARB requirements, which the OEM cat does, sounds fishy, to say the least.

You ever wonder why BMW AG doesn't offer an "M Performance Sports Cats" in order to eke out a few horses or to compete with the aftermarket brands? It's because it would never meet EPA compliance and they have a lot more to lose than some of these aftermarket companies that operate in the fringes of the internet, which operate under no accountability.

Well, I don't live in Cali so CARB is irrelevant and emissions standards are left up to states. Some states don't even test lol.
That's some sound justification there and I obviously can't appeal to you with logic, so I'll let you have the last word..

Enjoy your smelly cat 🐈
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2021, 01:18 PM   #83
///M TOWN
United_States
Rep
Drives: M GmbH

Garage List
2018 M2  [8.82]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Sounds mean

Umm, yea.

I'll patiently wait..
[IMG]undefined[/IMG]

That's some sound justification there and I obviously can't appeal to you with logic, so I'll let you have the last word..

Enjoy your smelly cat 🐈
      05-13-2021, 03:19 PM   #84
pz619
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F87 M2C 6MT, Tesla 3

Quote:
Do you live in Pennsylvania? If so, you are in a CARB state. It started in California, hence the name, but 14 states are part of the club.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2021, 04:04 PM   #85
AndrewC1989
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 328d xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
I don't think anybody would ask their dealer to install downpipes. Dealers don't even like it when you put aftermarket wipers on.
Depends on the dealership. I go to one that sells and installs Dinan parts and offers wheel powdercoating. They really could care less if you have modifications and they'd gladly install them for you. Many of the SA's even ask what mods I have and tell me about theirs. The only time there would be an issue is if you wanted to warranty something that's failed because of a mod you had. That aside they don't give a crap.
Appreciate 1
      05-13-2021, 04:24 PM   #86
Boostedphil698
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW 435XI  [0.00]
2009 Honda Civic  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by pz619 View Post
Quote:
Do you live in Pennsylvania? If so, you are in a CARB state. It started in California, hence the name, but 14 states are part of the club.
I know Cali you can't even buy a chargepipe but in PA you can so at this point idk what to to think.
      05-13-2021, 04:35 PM   #87
Boostedphil698
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW 435XI  [0.00]
2009 Honda Civic  [0.00]
This makes sense. I knew that PA only adopted CARB requirements to title a new car. Here in PA we can use aftermarket cats.

https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1718072
      05-13-2021, 04:52 PM   #88
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

Some stuff that isn't CARB certified could be, they just didn't spend the money to get certified, because its expensive.
Appreciate 1
///M TOWN16165.50