BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > N55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > My thoughts on every single intake available.

04-19-2021, 08:30 PM   #89
evanmn1
Rep
Drives: 2017 m2

What about msr !! Forgot them, love mine.
      04-20-2021, 01:14 PM   #90
M2_MEDUSA
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2 Comp. SpecialEdition

If your going drop in K&N what I did was pressure washed it and sat it in the sun to bake and dry. Removes most of the oil.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2021, 09:56 PM   #91
Oktom2
Private First Class
South Korea
Rep
Drives: 17 KIA Stinger GT, 17 BMW M2

any feedback on the MST intake? the design looks really nice
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2021, 08:53 AM   #92
Tes
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M2

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by F87source View Post
was there powder coating over spray on the inside of the intake pipe?
Nope! No overspray I just found a layer of dirt that was pretty easy to clean out.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2021, 09:06 AM   #93
Tes
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundinisagod View Post
Did you notice any difference with throttle response?
Nope! not at all. But honestly worth every cent just for the sound haha. I honestly don't think I gained anything performance wise but the sound is A1. Fuel economy has gone down drastically due to just me cruising around town going in and out of boost 24/7

After probably 500 km on the CTS intake still no CEL
Appreciate 2
      05-12-2021, 07:41 PM   #94
Sundinisagod
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tes View Post
Nope! not at all. But honestly worth every cent just for the sound haha. I honestly don't think I gained anything performance wise but the sound is A1. Fuel economy has gone down drastically due to just me cruising around town going in and out of boost 24/7

After probably 500 km on the CTS intake still no CEL
Please keep us posted re the CEL as the k’s add up.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2021, 07:57 PM   #95
neonbrown
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

I have the dinan intake, can't say I notice any power boosts at all but it sure does sound good to me.

However I just might sell it when front mount intakes start showing up (which i'm told they're in production for the n55).
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2021, 10:47 AM   #96
EDWYER
Yoda of mods
Rep
Drives: X5 RWD

Garage List
2015 X5 RWD  [0.00]
2016 BMW M2  [10.00]
Good info. I'll probably just get a dry drop-in.
YT: https://www.youtube.com/@DWYERGARAGE/videos
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2021, 07:47 PM   #97
Tes
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundinisagod View Post
Please keep us posted re the CEL as the k’s add up.
10 4 will do. I really doubt CTS intake will ever produce a CEL. Just took it on a pretty long trip over May long and nothing. My honest opinion on the intake and all the argument around it don't do anything, real talk if my car lost power I would still do it just for the sound alone. It makes it so enjoyable
Appreciate 2
      05-24-2021, 10:07 PM   #98
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Bmw M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tes View Post
10 4 will do. I really doubt CTS intake will ever produce a CEL. Just took it on a pretty long trip over May long and nothing. My honest opinion on the intake and all the argument around it don't do anything, real talk if my car lost power I would still do it just for the sound alone. It makes it so enjoyable
The CTS intake will likely never cause a CEL because of the way the hexagonal maf housing is designed to mimic the factory maf housing.
      05-26-2021, 10:16 AM   #99
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Quote:
Originally Posted by F87source View Post
The CTS intake will likely never cause a CEL because of the way the hexagonal maf housing is designed to mimic the factory maf housing.
+1

we never had a CEL issue with the CTS intake

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 2
F87source7233.50
      05-30-2021, 11:35 PM   #100
6speed_M2
Captain
Rep
Drives: ///M2

Garage List
Not sure if this was covered yet but I have the AFE open box intake. It sounds incredible & it's a big step up from the burger intake I had. It makes weird BOV style noises much to my surprise & I'm a huge fan of that.

As far as CEL, I'd have to go with other ppl's word on this, although I've never experienced that problem on my M2 or my 135i.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2021, 06:44 PM   #101
CurryPuff
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: None

I've had a CTS intake on mine for about 4000 or so miles, including a track day and there haven't been any CEL yet.
It's quite subtle in comfort, but comes alive in sport and above!
Appreciate 1
      04-02-2022, 03:29 PM   #102
M2RAW
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW F87 M2 BASE

Can someone confirm that injen intake can be installed without having CEL. Thanks in advance
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2022, 04:51 PM   #103
WeekendWarriorz
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4M

Intake scoop+ BMC panel filter+ high flow turbo inlet (FTP, BMS, PURE, ARM), end thread.
2021 M2 Competition DCT Hockenheim Silver
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2022, 05:26 AM   #104
AmuroRay
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeekendWarriorz View Post
Intake scoop+ BMC panel filter+ high flow turbo inlet (FTP, BMS, PURE, ARM), end thread.
Hmmm…

I’ve 5 different intake setups on the car:

With the stock inlet/DV:

BMS
Dinan with the M2 lower intake (this is important)
M2 lower intake with the AFE filter

Of those 3, the Stock M2 airbox was the best in terms of drivability and power. The Dinan was my least favorite, it had an inconsistent tip in throttle and power. I think a few people have logged it to actually lose power. The BMS I remember being pretty rough on cold start.

Then I added a Divertervalve (Turbosmart) and MST inlet - this sharpened the cars throttle response, increased power and decreased turbo lag.

Adding an inlet/DV will make any intake more effective. With the new inlet and DV, I ran:

M2 lower with AFE filter
Stock F22/F30 airbox with AFE filter
CTS Turbo

The stock F22/30 airbox was measurably the worst performer. It was extremely laggy and down on power. It would take me driving in SPORT to get the same response as I could get on the M2 airbox in normal.

The M2 box is the intake I logged the most time with and was nearly flawless - but the CTS from a ‘performance’ perspective is better. It gave even sharper throttle, more low end torque and what feels like a slightly more top end power.

Power comes on stronger at tip in throttle and at WOT, I’ve noticed that the car doesn’t ‘drop off’ as much at higher RPM. It also sounds pretty good -but I think the BMS from what I remember actually sounded a little better. However If you don’t like diverter valve noises, the CTS isn’t for you.

Last edited by AmuroRay; 04-04-2022 at 05:38 AM..
Appreciate 1
      04-05-2022, 11:41 AM   #105
Rykken
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 BMW M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmuroRay View Post
Hmmm…

I’ve 5 different intake setups on the car:

With the stock inlet/DV:

BMS
Dinan with the M2 lower intake (this is important)
M2 lower intake with the AFE filter

Of those 3, the Stock M2 airbox was the best in terms of drivability and power. The Dinan was my least favorite, it had an inconsistent tip in throttle and power. I think a few people have logged it to actually lose power. The BMS I remember being pretty rough on cold start.

Then I added a Divertervalve (Turbosmart) and MST inlet - this sharpened the cars throttle response, increased power and decreased turbo lag.

Adding an inlet/DV will make any intake more effective. With the new inlet and DV, I ran:

M2 lower with AFE filter
Stock F22/F30 airbox with AFE filter
CTS Turbo

The stock F22/30 airbox was measurably the worst performer. It was extremely laggy and down on power. It would take me driving in SPORT to get the same response as I could get on the M2 airbox in normal.

The M2 box is the intake I logged the most time with and was nearly flawless - but the CTS from a ‘performance’ perspective is better. It gave even sharper throttle, more low end torque and what feels like a slightly more top end power.

Power comes on stronger at tip in throttle and at WOT, I’ve noticed that the car doesn’t ‘drop off’ as much at higher RPM. It also sounds pretty good -but I think the BMS from what I remember actually sounded a little better. However If you don’t like diverter valve noises, the CTS isn’t for you.
To add, I initially had the aFE drop in filter and the air scoop after reading this thread. The sound was subtle enough with no drone but it was relatively quiet in my opinion. My car is stock.

After about a week, I realized that I wanted more intake sound and went with the CTS instead. Install was relatively simply and had no issues aside for my cracking one side of the clip for the vacuum line (PITA to get off). I did have to discard the wire cover but I'm not worried about water getting in since I don't pressure wash my bay.

The volume and sound is just right for me, in comfort mode there's very little noise from it unless you really romp on the throttle. However in sport+ mode...anything over 3K rpm is like heaven, on and off the throttle. No CELs, sharper response.

Looking to do the diverter/charge pipe/intercooler next
Appreciate 3
MASHCT613.50
AmuroRay2263.00
      07-11-2022, 07:11 PM   #106
LurkingBimmer55
Registered
Canada
Rep

Has anyone seen this intake from VR Performance?
https://x-ph.com/vr-performance-carb...-vr-f87m2-110/

Looks like it may have recently come to market unless I've just totally missed it.
P/N: VR-F87M2-110
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2022, 08:17 PM   #107
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Bmw M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by LurkingBimmer55 View Post

Looks like it may have recently come to market unless I've just totally missed it.
Never heard about them before, but it looks eirrly like the afe one.
      07-11-2022, 09:03 PM   #108
LurkingBimmer55
Registered
Canada
Rep

I see what you mean, there are a few subtle differences... and a bit lower price.

I guess the AFE unit isn't anything to write home about eh?
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2022, 10:11 PM   #109
AmuroRay
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LurkingBimmer55 View Post

Overpriced nonsense. Don’t get an enclosed unit.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2022, 03:51 PM   #110
AmuroRay
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rykken View Post
To add, I initially had the aFE drop in filter and the air scoop after reading this thread. The sound was subtle enough with no drone but it was relatively quiet in my opinion. My car is stock.

After about a week, I realized that I wanted more intake sound and went with the CTS instead. Install was relatively simply and had no issues aside for my cracking one side of the clip for the vacuum line (PITA to get off). I did have to discard the wire cover but I'm not worried about water getting in since I don't pressure wash my bay.

The volume and sound is just right for me, in comfort mode there's very little noise from it unless you really romp on the throttle. However in sport+ mode...anything over 3K rpm is like heaven, on and off the throttle. No CELs, sharper response.

Looking to do the diverter/charge pipe/intercooler next
do the inlet if you haven't - it's not a drastic change, but you'll actually feel the difference, especially at top end.

Just to repeat what I posted here:

https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...4&postcount=34

Most of the gains from intakes are from typically increased surface area of the filter, some from the larger diameter tubing. There are diminishing returns, and for our cars its namely the stock turbos smaller turbine becomes less efficient at higher RPMs, so the intake isn't the limiting factor, it's the turbo. On the stock F Series airbox, the gains are mostly from airflow potential - Instead of being CFM limited from the small inlet, a M2 or actual open filer intake allows greater flow from not limiting the total available airflow.

So typically, (and especially true with an inlet) when you add an intake, most gains are going to be down low, where the turbo flows the best, and can take advantage of the increase filter surface area. This is why most intake dynos show massive gains down low.

When you do an inlet, you're effectively increasing the turbine size, and that's why there is a small gain at High RPM. If I have time, I wanted to plot a few runs in VD from thejeremyman9 Pre inlet/intake and post - just to show the difference in recorded power. Even though we are on load based tunes (the base tune is load based) for whatever reason, removing restrictions allow the car to make more power for the same given load.

TL;DR -
Stock turbo will outflow the stock F22/30 airbox
Larger inlet allows you to take full advantage of the turbo
Open intake has no airflow impediments and will (especially with an inlet) flow better than the stock airbox.